Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235160864/

Winston and Zeddemore Industries confirmed.
As I was suspecting, they came up with a rough outline for Firehouse during the Afterlife writing sessions.

New comic book will bridge the gap between Afterlife and Firehouse, so I'd say GB4 will premiere in 2024.
BatDan, starang11, Sav C and 4 others liked this
So glad we're getting more Winston and hopefully more Ray, Aykroyd and Hudson never seemed to lose their enthusiasm for the franchise over the years. I've seen some rumblings/complaints on twitter about them sticking with the Spengler story, but if they could get at least Phoebe to New York, why wouldn't they?

Would be cool if Aykroyd contributed in some way to the animated series and they got to do a lot of the crazy stuff he was always pushing for but wouldn't be feasible in live action.

Most of all I'm thrilled by the return to NYC - I think it's proof that Sony has a lot of confidence going forward based on the overall performance of Afterlife (which was good especially during a pandemic, but it's not like it made Spider-Man or Venom money). Setting a sequel in New York, even with mostly interior scenes or stuff shot elsewhere, has to mean a bigger price tag than Afterlife.
mrmichaelt, BatDan, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
starang11 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 3:23 pm So glad we're getting more Winston and hopefully more Ray, Aykroyd and Hudson never seemed to lose their enthusiasm for the franchise over the years. I've seen some rumblings/complaints on twitter about them sticking with the Spengler story, but if they could get at least Phoebe to New York, why wouldn't they?

Would be cool if Aykroyd contributed in some way to the animated series and they got to do a lot of the crazy stuff he was always pushing for but wouldn't be feasible in live action.

Most of all I'm thrilled by the return to NYC - I think it's proof that Sony has a lot of confidence going forward based on the overall performance of Afterlife (which was good especially during a pandemic, but it's not like it made Spider-Man or Venom money). Setting a sequel in New York, even with mostly interior scenes or stuff shot elsewhere, has to mean a bigger price tag than Afterlife.
A movie with Winston or Ray mentoring a new team is all i really wanted to see in a new sequel, especially if that new team are characters i already love (phoebe and podcast, etc). So Bring it

I mean at least thats the gist from all the hints ive got. Hopefully they stick with it.
LOL! I was at a loss on which topic to post my thoughts, like do I write in the sequel form, animated film forum, or animated series forum. So much has been covered it's amazing. I figured I'd post here since it's primarily about where the franchise is right now and where it's going.

Speaking of where it's at now Wow! I really think the more outragous and most fantastic ideas that Dan Aykroyd came up with when he came up with his original concept for Ghostbusters are about to become a reality now that the new series and animated movies are on the way. I am not sure what fresh take the Animated film will have, but I look forward to seeing what it becomes. If the concept for the animated series is the same as the pitch a few years ago it will be cool to see a team of Ghostbusters fighting different supernatural forces from all over the world with the help other Ghostbusters teams stationed internationally. Kind of makes all those awesome fan films that had been coming out since the early 2000s about the franchise continuing to grow and expand feel even more official.

Now with the Afterlife sequel I am really confident we will get more Ray and Winston. That will be a lot of fun. Now I know that I am dreaming here, but do you think Bill Murray would come back again if his part was just as big as it was in the last film? LOL! If I were to bet money on it I'd say he is done with the franchise and that's cool, I think he was more than generous with his time in Afterlife. I just am never ready to rule his involvment out since he can be very unpredictable at times. ;)

I really wasn't expecting to be excited by another film, let alone an animated film and an animated series. This is continuing to be an amazing ride. :):):)
mrmichaelt, BatDan liked this
I'm really excited about the franchise going back to NY! That last shot of Ecto-1 driving on the bridge gave me a nice amount of goosebumps.

Afterlife was really great but I missed a little bit of "crowding". It felt empty at times.

There were really few ghosts and almost no people getting scared by them. You can say that the Ghostbusters called themselves this time.

New York will easily provide the epicness and the "people start panicking" scenes you need in a Ghostbusters movie.
Davideverona wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:24 pmhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235160864/

"Zeddemore Industries," eh? Definitely adds a lot more weight to the September 2019 image tease during Afterlife filming is probably a close up of Zeddemore Industries letterhead or a business card.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2qM1YGJ-U0/

Also "Zeddemore Industries" makes sense as I recall in press tour stuff, they called Winston the Tony Stark of Ghostbusters or something like that and his company is Stark Industries. So it looks like Winston started with a financial firm and grew out from there into his global enterprise that he tells Janine in the end tag which we now know is called Zeddemore Industries. Cool. Lot more things clicking thanks to that article.
mrmichaelt wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:12 am
Davideverona wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:24 pmhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235160864/

"Zeddemore Industries," eh? Definitely adds a lot more weight to the September 2019 image tease during Afterlife filming is probably a close up of Zeddemore Industries letterhead or a business card.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2qM1YGJ-U0/

Also "Zeddemore Industries" makes sense as I recall in press tour stuff, they called Winston the Tony Stark of Ghostbusters or something like that and his company is Stark Industries. So it looks like Winston started with a financial firm and grew out from there into his global enterprise that he tells Janine in the end tag which we now know is called Zeddemore Industries. Cool. Lot more things clicking thanks to that article.
Also, now we can imagine why Jason cut all the "Janine rallying up the original Ghostbusters" scenes and why he moved the Winston one at the end.
More meat for Firehouse.
jonogunn wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:20 am I’d like to think he was studying and trying out his own side biz in finance even since gb2. Maybe he wasn’t at the courtroom scene because he had some important client to attend to
Ha! Yes, he left the courtroom after he got paged by a client! Mystery solved. :)
Davideverona wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:55 am Also, now we can imagine why Jason cut all the "Janine rallying up the original Ghostbusters" scenes and why he moved the Winston one at the end.
More meat for Firehouse.
True, but just for the full picture let's see those Janine deleted scenes anyway. ;)
I got this idea how I'd like Firehouse to shape up.

It's kind of a weird take, so here goes.

We start pitch black, but slowly zoom in as a small object grows in the darkness. It's the firehouse, opened up as if it's a dollhouse, quickly getting build in a time lapse.
We hear a familiar bell and firefighters dressed in antique costumes use the pole and head out into the night. We can hear their siren fade out as the camera stays in the firehouse, slowly panning up to the sleeping quarters. One of the firefighters is standing in the room, showing his back to the camera frightened and distracted by something hiding in a dark corner. Lights flicker.
Fade to black as he starts to approach it and screams.
When the other firefighters return, they find him, huddled up in the corner: died of a hearth attack.
We fade to black.

Titlecard: Firehouse with the Ghost emblem taking the place of the O.
Fade to black.

Light emerges from an opening door as the realtor shows the OGB around. It's all shown with silhouettes, and as if we are watching from a dollhouse. We hear the familiar lines but follow Ray as he runs around, unknowingly waking up the black mass as he checks the sleeping quarters. It follows him, but loses Ray when he uses the pole, not wanting to go in the light. Slowly fade to black when Ray suggests to sleep here, and the mass returns to the sleeping quarters.
A new scene where Egon and Ray build the ecto container. The black mass watches from a distance.
Fade to black.
The GB slide down the pole as they make a run to confront their first ghost Slimer. The camera lingers and a dark shadow slowly drips down from the ceiling of the sleeping quarter, checking out the containment unit.

The idea is we see multiple small parts of GB1 and 2, and the dark shadow slowly gains power from the multiple ghostly encounters, especially during the containment unit blowing up and afterwards when it's slowly failing over the years.
We see the GB fall out as it corrupts the GB during their dreams, the blowjob dream being a first attempt (the girl returns a few times becoming scarier) and it learning how to evade detection from the GB and Slimer as it learns their equipment. It corrupts Peck to make sure the containment unit blows so it can gain power, and it sets fire to the foto's made of Vigo for instance. It narrowly evades detection when Egon tinkers with a PKE meter to upgrade it. It tries to corrupt the GB and split them apart. Which briefly works between GB1 and 2, then works in the build up to Afterlife, setting up the others against Egon.

Time passes untill the Firehouse becomes a Starbucks. The hauntings increase and it's sold back to Zeddemore. The containment unit starts malfunctioning more and more.

In comes Phoebe and co.

The idea is we never leave the firehouse and the dark matter slowly takes control of the GB HQ, haunted house style, seeping power from the unit and hating the light.

What do you guys think?
It's an interesting idea.

I'm not sure why this shadowy figure would wait decades to strike when it's likely it would have reached "full power" after the ECU explosion. You'd have to flesh that out.

An idea I had was what if there was some kind of negative impact from storing all of the PKE inside one location. What if it enables the ghosts to collectively assemble into something more powerful that can break out of the ECU? Or allows them to summon something from beyond?
Alphagaia liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: June 16th, 2022, 3:16 pm An idea I had was what if there was some kind of negative impact from storing all of the PKE inside one location. What if it enables the ghosts to collectively assemble into something more powerful that can break out of the ECU? Or allows them to summon something from beyond?
I've often wondered about that. In the first movie, Egon connoted there was a limit to how much ghosts they could store in the unit even though they were in rigid stasis with their P.K.E. kept neutralized. But on the flip side, storing them all in once place created an opportunity to provide the conditions for a cross-rip if the unit were to be compromised and/or shut down and were released all at once. We've seen in various media how the unit was compromised by invading ghosts, demons, and gods. So that basement should be really secured for that reason beyond a battery back up or hand scan security pad. That's what I did like about the Hellbent script in which there was a better stop gap in place where they routinely emptied the unit and transferred the entities to the off-site containment system in Jersey.
mrmichaelt wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:36 pm That's what I did like about the Hellbent script in which there was a better stop gap in place where they routinely emptied the unit and transferred the entities to the off-site containment system in Jersey.
Same. Plus is makes a lot more sense to store entities off site after what happened when the containment unit blew. Can't imagine sleeping above something that could turn into a geyser bomb if the power goes out.
groschopf wrote: June 16th, 2022, 10:07 pm Same. Plus is makes a lot more sense to store entities off site after what happened when the containment unit blew. Can't imagine sleeping above something that could turn into a geyser bomb if the power goes out.
Isn't that why Peter has an apartment in the second movie? :P:P
JonXCTrack wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:33 am
Davideverona wrote:
Nope. There was a little bit of excitement on September 4th, 2008 when Sony announced Lee and Stupnitsky as the GB3 writers.

That excitement vanished little by little as the months passed by without significative development and a whole lot of setbacks.
I seem to recall quite a bit of hype on these forums leading up to the release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

As for the announcements:

1. New animated series - I'm psyched.
2. New animated movie - if this is from the POV of a ghost as rumored in the past, then I'm less enthused.
3. New Dark Horse Comic - I'm psyched. It's canon, so I'm curious to see what it's about. I suppose that means all of the IDW stuff is its own separate universe then. Kind of a bummer since they did such a good job with it.
4. New film codename "Firehouse" - I am guardedly optimistic. I was kind of hoping that this new film was going to be a Winston story. And then another one being a Ray story. The first two can serve as the Venkman story since he has that romance with Dana.
Things like comics, novels and video games are only canon as long as they're being sold. They will be discarded and ignored in a few years. For instance, fox claimed aliens colonial Marines was canon when it came out.
So what (if any) cast members do you think won't be coming to the Afterlife sequel?
deadderek wrote: June 17th, 2022, 12:02 pm So what (if any) cast members do you think won't be coming to the Afterlife sequel?
Celeste O' Connor is the one I'd bet my house on.

I'm a little thorn on Finn Wolfhard: he seemed to enjoy the work but his part wasn't SO great.

I think the others will come back, Bill Murray included. Even Sigourney.
Sav C liked this
I could see Finn coming back simply because he's a box office draw (I think). Jason said that the Spenglers would be a main part of Firehouse, so I bet all of them come back. I could see Lucky coming along if she ended up going to college in NY.

I suppose there could be some sort of internal dispute at the Firehouse (perhaps the containment grid is causing small earthquakes), and management tries to sweep it under the rug. Maybe the manager is Peck's kid (Peter: "What did you hire pencil neck's kid for?" Ray: "They had a good resume..."), or they just don't want to create more work for themselves and create a stir. Phoebe calls Gary, and he takes seismic readings (Gary on the phone: "Listen Phoebe, there's thousands of people in New York who can take seismic readings"). Or he could be dating Callie.

Maybe Podcast was allowed to get a summer job working at Ray's Occult.
I see McKenna, Logan, probably Finn, probably Carrie, most likely Paul coming back, along with Dan, Ernie and Annie.

Celeste might come back, if she does I hope she and Finn get a bit more material to work with.

Bill, he'll be the least likely to return, and I think the cinematic version of Venkman has probably reached the end of his character arc/development. And rather than risk further complications with Murray being difficult to work with, or him phoning the role in, just write the character out with the happy ending that was hinted at in the mid-credits scene.
Kingpin wrote: June 17th, 2022, 11:57 am
Bison256 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:38 am For instance, fox claimed aliens colonial Marines was canon when it came out.
Is there actually anything that's come out since that outright contradicts the Colonial Marines game?
ACM is in the unique position where everything that came out before it contradicts it!

Nothing has actually explicitly decanonised it since though, other than embarrassment, so I guess it stands!
Kingpin wrote: June 17th, 2022, 3:12 pm I see McKenna, Logan, probably Finn, probably Carrie, most likely Paul coming back, along with Dan, Ernie and Annie.

Celeste might come back, if she does I hope she and Finn get a bit more material to work with.

Bill, he'll be the least likely to return, and I think the cinematic version of Venkman has probably reached the end of his character arc/development. And rather than risk further complications with Murray being difficult to work with, or him phoning the role in, just write the character out with the happy ending that was hinted at in the mid-credits scene.
I think Celeste will come back, I'd thought other wise but I changed my mind when Sony released that short video with all the young leads, including Celeste, in NYC.
Bison256 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm I think Celeste will come back, I'd thought other wise but I changed my mind when Sony released that short video with all the young leads, including Celeste, in NYC.
That did make me lean more towards "Celeste might come back", definitely. I hope like you it's indicative. :)
Happy Ghostbusters Day!!!! Better late than never :shock: it feels really awesome knowing that were getting 2 new movies and an animated series when a Ghostbusters 3 seemed like something that was never gonna happen. How would you like the art styles to be like in the animated movie and show? I'm really excited with how they could make the proton streams look like, I would also like it if they revisit Dan's original script idea, the VR game reminds me of that, especially with that flying Ecto design.
What I'm hoping for the most from the next GB film is just an overall sense of "newness", for lack of a better terminology. Obviously, I'm extremely excited to see returning characters that I loved from Afterlife and it's a Ghostbusters movie so it should obviously be about, y'know, ghosts and preventing the end of the world. That said we're at the point where we need to start pushing the franchise forward rather than stalling in neutral in the past.

I love Afterlife and don't really care that it got to have its cake and eat it too with regards to featuring and celebrating the past but it's time for some new iconography in the GB world. Not another Gozer storyline. Not a second Vigo appearance. We don't need to shove minor legacy characters in it just for the easter egg-ness (looking at you, Oscar). I love the original GB score but a little less reliance on it the next go around would be appreciated. Re-doing many of the beats of the original 1984 film in Afterlife was somewhat merited since it was over 30 years since we've visited this cannon of GBs and it was used wisely to get both seasoned and new fans in seats but let's move forward with some new things finally!

My pitch would be Zeddemore Industries re-starting the GB company in New York under the leadership and guidance of Winston and Ray. The rag tag crew consists of Winston and Ray as head quarter leaders, Grooberson, Trevor, Lucky and one of Winston's kids are the regular field operatives, Podcast is a summer "intern" at Ray's Occult, the Spengler family live in the firehouse on the top floor so Callie begrudgingly helps out from time to time (though she has an actual job in the city) and, finally, Pheobe loves to help whenever she can but the rest of the GB crew is pushing her to focus on school (she'll be an advanced scholar, already studying at NYU in the footsteps of her grandfather).

I would love to see an adaptation of the IDW comics storyline where a rival group of Ghost Smashers steals GB tech but alters it so that they end up obliterating ghosts instead of catching them, inadvertently creating a much bigger problem when the supernatural remains coalesce into a much, much more threatening ghostly mega monster. The rival team is led by a former employee of Zeddemore Industries who is a jerk but the rest of that team are likeable characters who just fell into the smooth talking of the leader. At the end of the day everyone needs to come together to save the world.

The opening scene would be a riff on new Conjuring-universe supernatural films wherein our new regular team is investigating a decrepit haunted mansion just outside the city. We see how bumbling and tumbling the team is as they just barely manage to capture the demonic entity before pulling back and revealing that they've literally blasted holes through just about every nook and granny of the house.

Whatever the plot is, though, I just want it to tread new ground and not rely on something we've already seen in a full length film already.
jonogunn, mrmichaelt liked this
I have faith Jason and Gil will give us something special again.

My hopes are small as stated before: Make it a 50/50 with new characters and old. The Spenglers (and Podcast? ) adapting to their new home in NY, while Ray, Winston and Janine re-open the business on the first floor.

I assume its being called “Firehouse” because these 2 plot threads all take place in one location.

Fingers crossed we get a Louis cameo this time (they will need new tax write ups afterall )

As far as Ghostly threat..something new..but Id love to see Gil and Jasons take on River of Slime (if were to cover familiar territory.) But NO Vigo, do what the VG did and attach the slime to other entities and uses.

Since were back in the firehouse, theres lots more easter eggs we can stuff around the attic and basement; maybe Pheobe finds a Slime blower, or the “Fettuccine” painting.

What IF! We FINALY get ECTO-2 to be live action canon?! Now that be an awesome scene! Weve never had a scene “atop” the firehouse.

Something that hasnt been done in the films yet is some airborne bustin’ —-i mean hey if we can get Bug Eye to be a live action ghost..”the possibilities are unlimitless.”
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]