A project that was started almost 3 years ago is now coming into the light. I wanted to create a custom pack from an original design. I made the concept drawing and started the modeling back in 2019. I finalized the model around Jan. 2022. Between life, and having issues with my PC. The modeling part took me a while. It's a passion project that is meant to take time.

I actually came up with this whole idea for my son. He is going to be 9 this summer. I got him into Ghostbusters when he was very young and he loves it! I took him to see Afterlife and he really enjoyed the film! That basically gave me the final push to get this project moving.

So, I finished up the model of my take on a pack and wand. After the fine tuning, many test prints, and prototypes. I finally had some official, finalized designs. I set out to install sound and lighting by using Arduino this time around. I did extensive research on the Arduino stuff, trying to grasp how I could make this work. By that time I had discovered Count De Monet's thread on his pack build with Arduino lights and sound. I researched the thread, did my homework, and figured out a way that I could make his light and sound schematic work in my pack.

I prototyped the light and sound schematic on breadboards, also had the Oshpark boards made to make it easier on myself. It was my first time soldering. I think the results were good. I did up having a sound issue not related to soldering. That problem was solved quickly after replacing a wire in the wrong pin on the breadboard. Everything worked as planned once that issue was corrected. All that will be left to do as far as the Arduino goes is to alter the code to make some of the lights behave a little different from their main animations. I know the slightest about the coding side of things. It's definitely a learning curve.

The whole pack has been 3D printed. The grand scheme to the printing is to make a clean buck for molding. While the print itself is detailed and would probably be fine as the final product, I would prefer it not get broken. 3D printed parts can be fragile so I am going to be molding a fiberglass shell of the printed pack. I know, it involves much more work this way. The point of this is to have more room in the shell for electronics.

I have some big ideas for this pack. Some ideas had to be scratched due to practicality and engineering. The pack was originally designed full size but after deciding to make it for my son I scaled things down to about 80% and some of my holes and sizes were off.

The next step in this build is to finish the wand assembly. I am nearly there with a few things to finish up. Once that is complete, I start the filling, sanding, and painting. Not even sure on colors yet, but we have some ideas. Glad it is starting to warm up a little outside so it will be perfect timing.

I will try and take as many pictures as possible, so this thread might be pic heavy.
Check out some pictures and I will continue to update as the build progresses.
Until next time Ghostheads.

Front view of the pack model

Another view of the pack from an angle

Side view

Back of pack shelled for faster printing.

Pack part chart. I kept the idea of the part names staying the same and will be adding some new stuff. This will be revised.

Prototype print, each part was modeled on it's own so I could print each body individually. This took a couple weeks between printing, assembly, and the filling/sanding.

Some leftovers from my first pack build. Most of this will probably be utilized somehow.

The printed wand prototype along with some various parts to be installed on it. I plan on installing more parts on this as it is a WIP at the moment.

Top down view of the wand. I will be adding a "switch box" to the top.

Prototyping the lights and sound

Another shot of the electronics. Big thanks to Count De Monet!

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]