That orange tip is ridiculous. For one thing, that doesn't look even kind of like a gun. Or a blade. Or anything resembling any form of weapon I can think of. For another, with an item at that price point, sold specifically to people looking for screen accuracy, it it be that hard to simply include an attachable orange tip?
ProtonPack83, kahuna900 liked this
Attachable would be great as it could be finicky to paint around the tip without painting over the clear centre.

I would also still get this new version rather than the old with regard to the foam bump stop on the barrel extender and the 1st gen breaking the led lights after so many barrel extensions where you don’t slow the barrel with your other hand.
So now this is no longer for "Collectors" but "unknowing convention security staffer or attendee to not recognise". Got it! Because these are now CLEARLY made for the "Security Staff" hired and not the people actually paying for tickets to attend these events CLEARLY made for the people who paid for tickets...not the "Security Staff" or people who don't "imagine" these are not Real Weapons on any planet. We all REALLY know who these "Orange Tips" were REALLY made for...smh pure idiocracy. As a Collector, highly disappointed in low quality decision made by Hasbro.
ProtonPack83, kahuna900 liked this
This newest revision is designed for people who intend to take it to conventions.

There will be a variety of methods, some of which will be documented on this very forum I'm sure, to guide people in disguising the orange if they intend to only display it at home.

It's a minor inconvenience, there are genuinely worse problems in the world than this (like the volcanic eruption and tsunami that struck Tonga LINK).

Some perspective needs to be maintained.
I'm guessing politics has something to do with this rather then avoiding fines. While true some toy guns can be identicle to real fire arms this is not that. I do agree that some toy guns need an orange tip, but not in this case.

If the Spengler wand didn't use actual gun grips I don't think this move would have even been considered. I don't think anyone would ever mistake this thing for a real shot gun. If they do they need a damn reality check stat.
jonogunn wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:46 pm Why not keep it as a collectible?
Because the HasLab Pack promoted it to a cosplay item.
jonogunn wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:46 pm Why were they able to release it no problem before?
Because it was just a display item before. Plus the legislation might've been a little different back in 2020 when the toy was originally developed.
jonogunn wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:46 pm How come Spirit Halloween or other companies that make these don’t need to put on an orange tip?
Spirit's offering may be less mistakable as a firearm, or it may have escaped the requirement because it's only recently come into effect.

And then there's the possibility Spirit Halloween's license to produce wearable Proton Pack replicas may've expired... Fun.com might now hold the license to make them.
Alphagaia, jonogunn liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:46 pm Why not keep it as a collectible? Why were they able to release it no problem before? How come Spirit Halloween or other companies that make these don’t need to put on an orange tip?

It feels very odd
My guess? Because then they cannot attach it to the proton pack and let people play around with it.
Well, they can, but they will probably get sued by some violation that their lawers found and this was the best action to circumvent this problem.
Seen a lot of people refer to 'the Facebook group' - by my reckoning, there are at least 6 and I think people should know about all of them

Haslab Proton Pack Modders - https://www.facebook.com/groups/haslabp ... ckmodders/ - 2000 members
HasLab Proton Pack Modders & Customisers U.K. & E.U. https://www.facebook.com/groups/290664762923320/ - 2000 members
HasLab Proton Pack Workshop https://www.facebook.com/groups/370986128106696/ - 500 members
HasLab Proton Pack Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/haslabprotonpackclub/ - 500 members
Spengler’s Workshop - Hasbro Neutrona wand & Haslabs Pack modders https://www.facebook.com/groups/spenglersworkshop/ - 3000 members
Haslab Pack Owners(OG) https://www.facebook.com/groups/652141336195165/ - 69 members

There is also Spengler's 1984 Work Bench which is worth a read on a variety of topics https://www.facebook.com/groups/460627574616892/
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:26 pm This newest revision is designed for people who intend to take it to conventions.

There will be a variety of methods, some of which will be documented on this very forum I'm sure, to guide people in disguising the orange if they intend to only display it at home.

It's a minor inconvenience, there are genuinely worse problems in the world than this (like the volcanic eruption and tsunami that struck Tonga LINK).

Sure, it's not a big deal for most but with some perspective in mind, what percentage of buyers are planning on taking these to an event? Most members here would probably have little to no problem painting if they desire, but the average consumer does not. If an orange tip is require for such events, why not put that reasonability on the event participant rather than the average purchaser?

Making such a huge cosmetic change to accommodate a very small percentage of buyers seems pretty silly to me.
Kingpin wrote: January 19th, 2022, 4:01 am
jonogunn wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:46 pm Why were they able to release it no problem before?
Because it was just a display item before. Plus the legislation might've been a little different back in 2020 when the toy was originally developed.

I respectfully disagree with your statement about it being just a display piece. Hasbro even went as far to include an additional end cap that can be attached to a pack hose.
kahuna900 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:36 am Making such a huge cosmetic change to accommodate a very small percentage of buyers seems pretty silly to me.
It's a tiny cosmetic change. Someone not as familiar with the props as us wouldn't even know it's been changed.
kahuna900 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:41 am I respectfully disagree with your statement about it being just a display piece. Hasbro even went as far to include an additional end cap that can be attached to a pack hose.
It had a display base, and at the time there was no discussion of a Pack it'd be attached to, so to describe the first generation Neutrona Wand as a "display piece" feels reasonably accurate.

We don't know if they'd intended to do the Pack back when they developed the wand, or if they added that piece so that fans could attach it to existing Packs they'd built, or could build.

Regardless, it looks like their considerations changed as the HasLab Pack was being developed, and they felt that adding the orange detail was necessary.
GhostFaceX wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:40 am Hmm I never got this email for any of my orders. Maybe the next batch won't have orange?
Same here. I never received such an email.
UEF wrote:Image
Mind blown. Mine doesn’t have that orange tip.

Here is me posing with it after opening it on Christmas Day:
kahuna900 liked this
kahuna900 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:41 am
Kingpin wrote: January 19th, 2022, 4:01 am

I respectfully disagree with your statement about it being just a display piece. Hasbro even went as far to include an additional end cap that can be attached to a pack hose.
Not to mention during a video segment with the Hasbro guy showing it off he even said that they created this and including the end cap with “cosplay in mind”.

If it’s all just logistical bullcrap I wonder why they can’t just play dumb as keep marketing it as a collectors item. Hell the haslab pack can also be considered a collectors item and display piece.

Anyways it is what is it. I’m guess the decision was based on some really muddy grey area
kahuna900 liked this
I don't know how many other people have said it, or how many times it HAS been said but Hasbro didn't just randomly decide to do this. The fact that some of you are acting like this tiny orange tip is the end of the world is shocking. Legal BS forced this move...some of you need to grow the hell up.
This is the kind of stuff that people point to when they rag on fan communities. Its the kind of thing that makes me embarrassed to be part of this community.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, wralex liked this
It personally doesn’t bother me much since I can paint it easily it’s no big deal at all.

I’m just extremely curious. I wish I could be a fly on the wall during the discussions over at Hasbros.

It obviously falls heavily in a grey area in terms of what a collectible is, roleplay item is, wether it can be construed as a weapon, etc. It’s such a grey area that it feels like they could have used it to their advantage and still find loopholes to avoid this but clearly they couldn’t and I’m curious at what was discussed. Of course it’ll just be speculation from us and I doubt we’ll hear anything more from Hasbros but I’ll take what I can get on people’s thoughts here.
kahuna900 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:36 am
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:26 pm This newest revision is designed for people who intend to take it to conventions.

Sure, it's not a big deal for most but with some perspective in mind, what percentage of buyers are planning on taking these to an event? Most members here would probably have little to no problem painting if they desire, but the average consumer does not. If an orange tip is require for such events, why not put that reasonability on the event participant rather than the average purchaser?

Making such a huge cosmetic change to accommodate a very small percentage of buyers seems pretty silly to me.
^This. 21,100 packs are on preorder. How many of those will be worn by cosplayers at conventions? Maybe 10% or even less? How many of those who will own them already have a wand? Chances are high it's way beyond 50%. So, all future owners of the wand who would like an affordable, accurate replica (and it's the ONLY one available at retail) will suffer by a decision made for the absolute minority of possible future users.

The pack comes with a display stand too. Does that make it a display piece only? Geez...
ccv66 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:54 pm The original silver tip looks kinda cheap, I wonder if the new orange 2 piece will look better once painted silver
It appears to be physically the same piece. I don't expect it'll look much different than the 2020 Version of the wand.
Ecto24601 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 3:26 pm So, all future owners of the wand who would like an affordable, accurate replica (and it's the ONLY one available at retail) will suffer by a decision made for the absolute minority of possible future users.
Let me give you a little perspective.

Suffering is someone dying of Covid in a hospital ward without any of their family being able to visit them.

Suffering is nearly dying from pancreatitis, and having to be stuck with various bits of metal for drip feeds and monitors to keep check on your vitals, which ultimately make it extremely difficult to fall asleep at night. And on top of that, having a compromised immune system that means friends and family can't get too close in case they pass on an infection that would be otherwise harmless.

Suffering is being beaten in the street over your perceived sexuality and having to re-adapt to life following brain damage from that attack.

Suffering is losing your job because a fellow employee lied about you.

Suffering is finding out your daughter was given a date rape drug on a night out.

(Each of these scenarios has happened to people I know or work with)

What isn't suffering? Finding out part of a toy has been recoloured orange.

What you and many other soon-to-be neutrona wand owners are experiencing is not suffering. What you are experiencing is a minor inconvenience.

I ask that any further discussion of modification to the neutrona wand take place in the Neutrona Wand thread, as that's the more appropriate place than clogging up the HasLab Pack thread: Link.

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]