Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Mentioned first in the Afterlife thread, but since it covers the whole franchise and it might get swallowed up in the Afterlife discussion, I am starting a thread for just the book. It is tentatively set to release in Fall 2022. This week Amazon just updated the date to August 1, 2022 but pre-orders are not being taken at the moment.
https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Sag ... 1493048244
http://lyonspress.com/books/9781493048243

Synopsis
"Rarely has a movie this expensive provided so many quotable lines." So spake Roger Ebert in his review of Ghostbusters, the 1984 blockbuster that combined our paranormal fears and fascination with some of the sharpest comic minds of the day. Ghostbusters instantly resonated with audiences thanks to eye-popping special effects and crackling wit; to date, it remains the highest grossing horror comedy of all time. The film spawned an Emmy-nominated Saturday morning cartoon, a tent pole 1989 sequel, a contentious 2016 reboot, legions of merchandise, and one of the most dedicated fan bases in history. Ghostbusters also elevated its players to superstardom, something a few cast members found more daunting than the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Now, for the first time, the entire history of the slime-soaked franchise is told in A Convenient Parallel Dimension: The Ghostbusters Saga 1975-2020. The cohesion of talent during the mid-'70s comedy revolution, the seat-of-their-pants creation of the first Ghostbusters, the explosive success that seemed to mandate a franchise, the five year struggle to make Ghostbusters II, the 31 year struggle to make Ghostbusters III — it's all here, with incredible attention to detail. Thoroughly researched and engaging, A Convenient Parallel Dimension smashes long-held myths and half truths about the dynamics behind this cultural juggernaut and presents the real story, down to the last drop of ectoplasm.

ISBN: 1493048244
Writer: James Greene, Jr.
Page Count: 240 pages
Publisher: Lyons Press

On August 31, 2021, James Green, Jr. said "I'm guessing someone at the publisher set up this Amazon link a while ago (I think the description is taken directly from the proposal I submitted back when Afterlife was first announced). The book is now called A Convenient Parallel Dimension: How Ghostbusters Slimed Us Forever and as far as I know it is being published in the Fall of 2022, not May. Everything else is correct on that link, though the book will cover Afterlife as well."

Green also confirmed, "If you mean will GB3 scripts be quoted directly, yes, a few, but not all. I haven't seen every single iteration with my own eyes and some of the drafts have come to me with the proviso they only be summarized."

On September 1, 2021, James Green, Jr. confirmed, "Yes, the book is going deeper on the video game. I interviewed a few of the core creative people and learned tons of fascinating stuff. You're right, it's an important juncture in the franchise history. Can't gloss over it!"
deadderek, jg2 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:21 pm Mentioned first in the Afterlife thread, but since it covers the whole franchise and it might get swallowed up in the Afterlife discussion, I am starting a thread for just the book. It is tentatively set to release in Fall 2022. This week Amazon just updated the date to August 1, 2022 but pre-orders are not being taken at the moment.
https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Sag ... 1493048244
http://lyonspress.com/books/9781493048243

Synopsis
"Rarely has a movie this expensive provided so many quotable lines." So spake Roger Ebert in his review of Ghostbusters, the 1984 blockbuster that combined our paranormal fears and fascination with some of the sharpest comic minds of the day. Ghostbusters instantly resonated with audiences thanks to eye-popping special effects and crackling wit; to date, it remains the highest grossing horror comedy of all time. The film spawned an Emmy-nominated Saturday morning cartoon, a tent pole 1989 sequel, a contentious 2016 reboot, legions of merchandise, and one of the most dedicated fan bases in history. Ghostbusters also elevated its players to superstardom, something a few cast members found more daunting than the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Now, for the first time, the entire history of the slime-soaked franchise is told in A Convenient Parallel Dimension: The Ghostbusters Saga 1975-2020. The cohesion of talent during the mid-'70s comedy revolution, the seat-of-their-pants creation of the first Ghostbusters, the explosive success that seemed to mandate a franchise, the five year struggle to make Ghostbusters II, the 31 year struggle to make Ghostbusters III — it's all here, with incredible attention to detail. Thoroughly researched and engaging, A Convenient Parallel Dimension smashes long-held myths and half truths about the dynamics behind this cultural juggernaut and presents the real story, down to the last drop of ectoplasm.

ISBN: 1493048244
Writer: James Greene, Jr.
Page Count: 240 pages
Publisher: Lyons Press

On August 31, 2021, James Green, Jr. said "I'm guessing someone at the publisher set up this Amazon link a while ago (I think the description is taken directly from the proposal I submitted back when Afterlife was first announced). The book is now called A Convenient Parallel Dimension: How Ghostbusters Slimed Us Forever and as far as I know it is being published in the Fall of 2022, not May. Everything else is correct on that link, though the book will cover Afterlife as well."

Green also confirmed, "If you mean will GB3 scripts be quoted directly, yes, a few, but not all. I haven't seen every single iteration with my own eyes and some of the drafts have come to me with the proviso they only be summarized."

On September 1, 2021, James Green, Jr. confirmed, "Yes, the book is going deeper on the video game. I interviewed a few of the core creative people and learned tons of fascinating stuff. You're right, it's an important juncture in the franchise history. Can't gloss over it!"
This will be an automatic purchase for me. But I have to say…

…240 pages?

That’s it?

That doesn’t sound like enough, no?

How do you cover Ghostbusters, Real Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, Extreme Ghostbusters, all the iterations of Ghostbusters 3, Ghostbusters 2016, the video game, and Ghostbusters Afterlife in just 240 pages? Am I wrong to think that doesn’t sound like a lot? That’s 30 pages per project and obviously each isn’t going to get the same treatment.

Granted the first films been covered to death but there is so much about these other projects and productions that need an in-depth deep dive. Here’s hoping 240 pages is enough. The juiciest bits will probably be the GB2/GB3 stuff so I hope there’s ample space dedicated to that. I’ll keep my fingers(not streams) crossed.

It’s a shame J.W Rinzler passed away. There’s nothing I wanted more than for this franchise to get the Rinzler treatment, his behind the scenes books are just…wow. His Star Wars original trilogy books are probably the best ever made.

Will there be a digital version available?

It’s a bit frustrating by the lack of “making of” books that haven’t received the “enhanced” digital treatment. Again, I point to those Rinzler Star Wars making of books. The digital versions include audio, video, more art. It’s amazing. How cool would it be for this book to get similar treatment? Here’s hoping,
d_osborn wrote: I believe this is going to be a "more words, fewer pictures" sort of book.
That's correct. There will be 25 to 30 pictures in a middle insert, but otherwise the book is all text. Also, I think the page count will be longer than what's listed on Amazon. I found out all that info was auto pulled from a database without anyone really checking on it. 240 was my estimate when I submitted the book proposal. I'm still writing and I'm overwriting as much as I can.
RichardLess wrote: Will there be a digital version available?
I believe so! And I agree with you on Rinzler. Unmatched greatness.
mrmichaelt, RichardLess liked this
jg2 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:45 pm
d_osborn wrote: I believe this is going to be a "more words, fewer pictures" sort of book.
That's correct. There will be 25 to 30 pictures in a middle insert, but otherwise the book is all text. Also, I think the page count will be longer than what's listed on Amazon. I found out all that info was auto pulled from a database without anyone really checking on it. 240 was my estimate when I submitted the book proposal. I'm still writing and I'm overwriting as much as I can.
RichardLess wrote: Will there be a digital version available?
I believe so! And I agree with you on Rinzler. Unmatched greatness.
That’s great to hear. I can’t wait!

Mind if a ask a question that might or might not spoil something from the book? It’s really minor.

There’s quite a few legends about Ghostbusters 2 ‘round these parts that no one has been able to definitively confirm or put to rest. One of those legends concerns the very end of the film. Some people swear when they saw the sequel in 1989 they saw Slimer fly out of the Statue of Liberty and come at the screen before cutting to black, just like the first film. There’s storyboards for it. I believe the novelization & comic book adaptation include the scene But no one has been able to for sure say if this happened or not. The legend is that is was removed from some release prints & home video due to Bill Murray complaining it might give the audience the impression another sequel is on the way.

Did you come across anything in your research for the book that could finally end this discussion once and for all? I’ve always thought it was bunk & that people were misremembering & it’s just another example of the Mandela effect.
RichardLess wrote: September 16th, 2021, 5:42 am
That’s great to hear. I can’t wait!

Mind if a ask a question that might or might not spoil something from the book? It’s really minor.

There’s quite a few legends about Ghostbusters 2 ‘round these parts that no one has been able to definitively confirm or put to rest. One of those legends concerns the very end of the film. Some people swear when they saw the sequel in 1989 they saw Slimer fly out of the Statue of Liberty and come at the screen before cutting to black, just like the first film. There’s storyboards for it. I believe the novelization & comic book adaptation include the scene But no one has been able to for sure say if this happened or not. The legend is that is was removed from some release prints & home video due to Bill Murray complaining it might give the audience the impression another sequel is on the way.

Did you come across anything in your research for the book that could finally end this discussion once and for all? I’ve always thought it was bunk & that people were misremembering & it’s just another example of the Mandela effect.
I haven't found any evidence that they ever filmed a Slimer Statue of Liberty fly out sequence. Like you said, it seems to be the Mandela Effect. Of course, I am always prepared to be proven wrong and I won't render final judgement until the book's out.
mrmichaelt wrote: October 15th, 2021, 10:43 pm Amazon moved the release date from August 1 to October 1, 2022.
Spoke with the publisher this morning and the release date will actually probably be in November of 2022. Just FYI! Thanks again to everyone for your interest. There's gonna be a lot of stuff in this book that's never been covered anywhere else, I'm working extremely hard and I can't wait for you to read it!
mrmichaelt liked this
    Hasbro Pulse Con 2021

Fair point and I apologize for that. A tho[…]

I think it best we just wait for a rundown and not[…]

Buying a Flightsuit

So it seems like I've grown a bit big for my 2XL L[…]

vent relay problem

https://i.imgur.com/crSfCxd.jpg https://i.imgur[…]