Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: May 4th, 2021, 2:17 am
Now what's under there. A Gozergate or the Ecto Containment Unit?

My money is on gate.
Yeah, safe bet on there being something Gozerian there. I believe some here have guessed a prototype Temple of Gozer that was left abandoned but is now starting to go "nuclear." But I also keep thinking of that shot in the trailer of Phoebe near that orange colored 'well of souls' and I think a bts shot of a memorial for fallen miners. Like perhaps the Shandor miners took too much selenium and inadvertently caused a crossrip so Shandor and co. at the time could only build a device to keep it at bay lacking the means to close it but now, that device is weakening and the rip is starting again, hence the earthquakes.
deadderek liked this
Yeah something is building up there, and infecting the town. The mine from Shandor probably plays a big part of it and maybe the goo from the Marshmallow Man is making it's way over there to power up into a new destructor state. Something like this but white.

I just realized why a white goo monster might not be the best idea.

Or is it?
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:29 am
Alphagaia wrote: May 4th, 2021, 2:17 am
Now what's under there. A Gozergate or the Ecto Containment Unit?

My money is on gate.
Yeah, safe bet on there being something Gozerian there. I believe some here have guessed a prototype Temple of Gozer that was left abandoned but is now starting to go "nuclear." But I also keep thinking of that shot in the trailer of Phoebe near that orange colored 'well of souls' and I think a bts shot of a memorial for fallen miners. Like perhaps the Shandor miners took too much selenium and inadvertently caused a crossrip so Shandor and co. at the time could only build a device to keep it at bay lacking the means to close it but now, that device is weakening and the rip is starting again, hence the earthquakes.
Selenium doesn't work that way. In real life it was once used in electronics but was replaced with silicon. It's use in spook central was electronical not spiritual. No I think Shandor made a early containment unit and than causes the mining accident to trap the miner's spirits for Gozer.
https://sites.google.com/site/dukeewaste/selenium
Last edited by Bison256 on May 4th, 2021, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's very probably a given that Shandor must have gotten his precious weird metals that he used to build his ghost antenna from somewhere and this mine must be it. There is probably more metals over in there, that he used as a back up or is just a natural conductor.

It might even be part of the same antenna. One pointing upwards, and one downwards, with the one pointing upwards destroyed by the busters.

The vulcano might also deposit more metals over time.
Alphagaia wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:20 am The vulcano might also deposit more metals over time.
You might be on to something
Selenium is found in metal sulfide ores, where it partially replaces the sulfur. Commercially, selenium is produced as a byproduct in the refining of these ores, most often during production. Minerals that are pure selenide or selenate compounds are known but rare. The chief commercial uses for selenium today are glassmaking and pigments. Selenium is a semiconductor and is used in photocells. Applications in electronics, once important, have been mostly replaced with silicon semiconductor devices. Selenium is still used in a few types of DC power surge protectors and one type of fluorescent quantum dot.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Looking at this picture again, can we deduct some more information out of this?

Like is this a volcano split apart, or two antennas?

The fire seems either hell or volcanic in nature.

There's no doubt in my mind that there's something to this picture. In the upper right hand corner, it looks like two people. At the top center, it is difficult to make out, but I think it is a terror dog. The bottom center, I think, isn't a fire, but some kind of spiritual energy. The tower in the middle consists of different objects (I think I can make out two serpents. The rest, I have no idea).

Bottom line: I think this is a major spoiler, but it's so cryptic that we won't realize what it all means until we see the movie.
seekandannoy liked this
deadderek wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:57 am Retail for a new 4k UHD/Blu-Ray/Digital is what $25? My friends and I go to the movie in groups so you figure: 6 adults at $12 each for evening tickets. $72. Or 1 one us buys the disc and Sony gets $25.

Even if you take into account the studio and theater split tickets at 50% each...
Well, that's not exactly right, because the retailer buys the disc for $X and then sells it for $25, and keeps the difference. There's also probably distribution and manufacturing fees to consider.

Also, the rate of split between studio and theater changes. Opening weekend, the studio gets the bulk. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I know that, for example, the rate for a Disney movie is very high and unfavorable to the theater. For all I know it could be a 90-10 split. The longer the film stays in theaters, the better the split gets for the theater. This is why studios care so much about opening weekend -- that's when they make the most money.
Alphagaia wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 12:14 amThe clip I saw felt heavily edited and Bill saying those exact words was a bit to perfect to say at that point, but that's to be expected from a promotion reel. I have no doubt they watched it five times and used his best reaction, instead of his first reaction.
I dunno. Bill may be in a new, less-cynical era where he's willing to return to Ghostbusters and be kind to everyone involved, but the idea of him re-recording his reaction a bunch of times feels like a type of crassness that he wouldn't go for even now. He still has that fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants spontaneity that he's so known for. I expect his reaction is basically genuine...and I also doubt he's thought about the clip since he watched it.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:07 amJust so we're all on the same page. The transfer of rights, old contracts as you put it, and the formation of Ghost Corps happened before ATC was greenlit. The Corps was mainly created to expand the brand and make ATC BUT not created to bypass the old contract.

Ivan Reitman: "Prior to this movie getting green-lit, I made a deal on our behalf in which the creators would be enriched for the rest of our lives, and for the rest of our children's lives, and transferred the rights to Columbia. Danny and I set up a company called Ghost Corps, whose idea was not only to make this film, the Paul Feig movie, but to use the Ghostbusters ideas and expand it and find out what else it could do to help Columbia and Sony in the future."
https://www.vulture.com/2016/07/ivan-re ... ay-qa.html
I'm not sure how this quote disproves that assertion. We know the contract existed, and also that Sony did not successfully greenlight a new Ghostbusters movie until after Ghost Corps was formed. Ivan doesn't mention that contract at all (nor would I really expect him to in a general interview).

Beyond that, I'm not sure why it would be something that needed to be disproven. I think the idea that Ghost Corps was a trade-off for breaking the contract and the things Ivan says in the quote are both true. Seems like a win-win for both Sony and Ivan/Dan, with the studio getting more freedom in making more movies, Ivan and Dan getting what they want from their intellectual property, and both of them getting a hub from which to orchestrate and supervise one of Sony's biggest merch movers. I would view the breaking of the contract with Ghost Corps as a uniformly positive development, and something that I would hope is true, because everyone got what they wanted.
timeware wrote: April 26th, 2021, 1:24 am We have a statement saying November in a movie theater. It doesn't say "only."

The movie date has been changed a couple of times arleady. You don't think they have the wait untill the last minute stance to say something about dual release? Were living in crazy times right now, anything can change at a moments notice. It has already.
Worth noting that so far during the pandemic, Sony has done zero dual releases.
Kingpin wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:11 am
TheLegendOfMart wrote: April 27th, 2021, 12:55 amPeople hated ATC so they are reluctant to see it.
Have you got an article or a website citing that? I've not gotten that impression that the general public is hesitant to see Afterlife due to bad experiences with Answer the Call.
Obviously, I'm pro-Ghostbusters (2016), but I think it's fair to say that the reboot was a real lightning rod for a drawn-out controversy, and regardless of my own opinion, the consensus was that the film ended up not being worth all the arguing and troll wars the movie incited. I think there is a fair amount of general audience or non-fan skepticism toward Afterlife for various reasons: 1) it's the second attempt in just four -- err, five years to relaunch the series, which itself is 2) a series that many do not necessarily feel needed to be a series, given that many view the sequel and the reboot as not up to the standard of the original; 3) as a long-gap sequel ala Dark Fate; 4) as a either a rebuke of the feminist representation of the reboot or just something that encourages the "wrong" kind of fans (ala WB caving to The Snyder Cut)... You can even get into more niche and granular stuff, such as the notion of Jason Reitman as a highly-acclaimed but commercially struggling filmmaker who was gifted a massive summer IP through what many view as nepotism. (Note that these are all just meant to be examples of things that I've heard people saying, and none of them are something I personally feel.

With or without the pandemic, I feel like Afterlife has a bit of an uphill battle when it comes to winning over the audience. (Accurate or not, the "Baby Yoda" accusations with the Stay-Puft clip is, IMO, not a great step in the right direction.)
gbraider82 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:36 pmDo you guys have any thoughts as how the ending might play out? I shared it once and I’ll share it again...Egon will now be a ghost...
I still think the only version of Egon as a ghost I would want to see is one where there is no visual representation of him as a ghost. I agree that we should avoid calling back to crossing the streams, and Oscar showing up has always felt like a hacky sequel idea to me.
Last edited by tylergfoster on May 5th, 2021, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bison256 wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:11 am Selenium doesn't work that way. In real life it was once used in electronics but was replaced with silicon. It's use in spook central was electronical not spiritual.
It's use was possibly electrical, rather than spiritual... But that isn't for certain. As far as I'm aware there's nothing in any of the print media of the franchise that confirms that suggestion.

Dan writes plausible-sounding technobabble (though presumably through the Ramis filter), but given they got a number of historical event dates and Bible chapter/verse numbers wrong, what's to say their implied use of Selenium was right? How many people in the audience would even know if they got it wrong?

I can see it being something like Iron Man's "transistors", it was used because it sounded cool, but not in anything close to its real-world application.
Kingpin wrote: May 4th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Bison256 wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:11 am Selenium doesn't work that way. In real life it was once used in electronics but was replaced with silicon. It's use in spook central was electronical not spiritual.
It's use was possibly electrical, rather than spiritual... But that isn't for certain. As far as I'm aware there's nothing in any of the print media of the franchise that confirms that suggestion.

Dan writes plausible-sounding technobabble (though presumably through the Ramis filter), but given they got a number of historical event dates and Bible chapter/verse numbers wrong, what's to say their implied use of Selenium was right? How many people in the audience would even know if they got it wrong?

I can see it being something like Iron Man's "transistors", it was used because it sounded cool, but not in anything close to its real-world application.
Perhaps I'm being influenced by the story of the video game. But I see Shandor as some what similar to Egon and Ray, someone who used to technology to explore the supernatural. However Shandor was a psychopath, why I think he killed those miners and trapped their spirits (the orange hands in the trailer?) I know Harold and Dan didn't write the game, but they did sign off on it and probably punched up some dialogue. Selenium was used as simiconducter in the mid 20th century, I think Dan and Harold knew that hence why it's in the script.
Kingpin wrote: May 4th, 2021, 7:18 pm It's use was possibly electrical, rather than spiritual... But that isn't for certain.
Or...

Ray did state in the jail cell that the building had cold riveted girders with cores of pure selenium and previously in Ecto-1 a roof cap was made of a magnesium-tungsten alloy then explained the building was a huge super conductive antenna designed and built expressly for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence. It feels like there's an implication both an engineering/electrical and spiritual/psychokinetic function to the incorporation of selenium. If built correctly into the design, it attracts P.K.E. And just like the mandala system, it concentrates and channels the P.K.E. but in the case of this building to the end goal of opening a portal to the Gozerian dimension (whereas the mandala's was to power the Destructor Form).
timeware wrote: May 4th, 2021, 10:13 pm Happy May 4th! Can we dare to dream about a realistic proton pack? If not for the original delay we'd only be three month's away from seeing this film at this point last year.

I both love and hate that lightsaber.

I love it because holy crap, LOOK AT IT! JUST... JUST LOOK AT IT!!! YES!!!!

I hate it because it'll be stupid expensive and only available at a specific hotel inside the park... I'll wait a couple years for another company to replicate the tech and possibly improve on it...

As for a proton pack with some kind of firing effect, highly unlikely. Had the streams been more like phasers from Star Trek instead of the wild ropes of energy we know and love, it would be much more feasible.
I was kidding about the proton pack shooting real streams, lol.

Yeah, for the hotel your looking at least a grand and a half for that experience. Since Savi's lightsabers are already past two hundred I can only imagine that really cool lightsaber will be six hundred, if not more. I mean for that amount we can buy a very awesome proton pack with all the bells and whistles before selling Darth Vader our souls.
Last edited by timeware on May 5th, 2021, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
droidguy1119 wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:05 pm
deadderek wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:57 am Retail for a new 4k UHD/Blu-Ray/Digital is what $25? My friends and I go to the movie in groups so you figure: 6 adults at $12 each for evening tickets. $72. Or 1 one us buys the disc and Sony gets $25.

Even if you take into account the studio and theater split tickets at 50% each...
Well, that's not exactly right, because the retailer buys the disc for $X and then sells it for $25, and keeps the difference. There's also probably distribution and manufacturing fees to consider.

Also, the rate of split between studio and theater changes. Opening weekend, the studio gets the bulk. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I know that, for example, the rate for a Disney movie is very high and unfavorable to the theater. For all I know it could be a 90-10 split. The longer the film stays in theaters, the better the split gets for the theater. This is why studios care so much about opening weekend -- that's when they make the most money.

I never claimed that those numbers were exact, I was just pointing out there's more money to be made with fans hitting the theaters, some multiple times, and then buying the discs/digital releases generate more money than just a digital release by itself.
tylergfoster liked this
deadderek wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:16 am
droidguy1119 wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:05 pm Well, that's not exactly right, because the retailer buys the disc for $X and then sells it for $25, and keeps the difference. There's also probably distribution and manufacturing fees to consider.

I never claimed that those numbers were exact, I was just pointing out there's more money to be made with fans hitting the theaters, some multiple times, and then buying the discs/digital releases generate more money than just a digital release by itself.
I might've misunderstood, then. It read like you were arguing in favor of a digital release because Sony makes more money off of a Blu-ray than a movie ticket.
droidguy1119 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 9:38 pm
deadderek wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:16 am

I might've misunderstood, then. It read like you were arguing in favor of a digital release because Sony makes more money off of a Blu-ray than a movie ticket.
You absolutely misinterpreted my post. The movie deserves a full theatrical release and the whiners need to face reality.
deadderek wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:08 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 9:38 pm I might've misunderstood, then. It read like you were arguing in favor of a digital release because Sony makes more money off of a Blu-ray than a movie ticket.
You absolutely misinterpreted my post. The movie deserves a full theatrical release and the whiners need to face reality.
You really need to stop calling people with either genuine concern or a distaste for going to the movies "whiners". I don't call people who want to go to the movies whiners and try to stop them from doing it.

There's nothing stopping them from opening it in theatres anyway so those that want to see it, can.
I've seen it over and over again the ones whining over various social media platforms. They whine, they're called whiners. Maybe I'll start saying Whinos.
Back to the Mini Pufts...

So toy ranges imply that both Muncher gets bigger, and the Mini Pufts form a bigger Stay Puft...

Not sure how I feel about that, very intrigued to see this shake out. I hope the team face something new during the showdown with Gozer. Although a skeleton/horror-fied version of Stay Puft would probably tick that box for me.
I was also attached to the idea of Muncher being a first bust that eludes them whilst growing and eventually "munching" the Wreckto... but I should probably let go of that expectation too given how little we know. I can't see them repeating small ghost > big bad twice in the same movie.
deadderek liked this
My personal theory is:

Muncher doesn't entirely eat the Ecto, but takes a huge chomp out of the front of it, thus disabling it.

Reasons why I think this?

The merchandise shows the front plate in his stomach, no tires or anything else from what I've seen so far.

Also the picture of the 1 car cut up for interior shots: the front end was covered with that black tarp. It could have just been there for other reasons, but I wager that tarp was there to avoid spoilers.

Just one of my theories. Just like my "that Quick Books set seemed really detailed for just a commercial" thoughts.

Speculating is fun. When ATC came out, I went back and re-read peoples guesses and compared it to the actual movie. Can't wait to do it again.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:52 am So far the theme with the Pufts, starting small but growing to become the big sticky bad seems to be on theme with the kids taking over the legacy of the GB, but we'll see if someone or something else is controlling them.
I've wondered if unknown to us so far if Summerville manufactures Stay Puft brand marshmallows.

If the vats of goo or however they're made somehow get infused with something that brings about the Mini Pufts.

Just wild thoughts: what if at the plant some nefarious Gozer worshipper dumped in some crusty old 30 year old remains of the New York Stay Puft and it causes the rise of them?

Just having fun thinking of stuff.

Mod Note: Edited for moderation
Davideverona wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:00 am I don't think the bigger Puft will have a skeleton.

If he's made of mini pufts, and they don't have bones, how the big Puft can have bones?
If marshmallow can conjure up a blue ridged hat and black eyes, it can also conjure up a skeleton. But I mentioned somewhere before they might steal a skeleton from the biology lab, which feels cooler somehow as I can envision them melting around it.

Mod Note: Edited for moderation
deadderek, Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]