Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The toyline seems to imply the Pufts melt together to a human size, even revealing a spine and perhaps even a complete skeletal figure if enough is burned away.

These could be played by an actor in a suit, with CGI and/or a green part around the belly to reveal the spine.

Also nowadays the enhancements in light and environment took huge strides. It might not beat picture realism, but it does match it. In the right hands of course.
zeta otaku wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:44 pm Listen. Just listen... I don't care if the effects are CGI, practical, or paper cut outs on popsicle sticks.

I just want to watch this movie this year.
You're in luck! It comes out in November.
Hairy Biker, zeta otaku, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
timeware wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:58 pm Universal studios, Disney parks, they both want your money.
In future, could you provide context when you're posting hypotheticals? Without the context it looked like you'd heard some rumour out there suggesting Ghostbusters was returning to Universal Studios Florida.
deadderek wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 7:07 pm
zeta otaku wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:44 pm Listen. Just listen... I don't care if the effects are CGI, practical, or paper cut outs on popsicle sticks.

I just want to watch this movie this year.
You're in luck! It comes out in November.
Don't rely on corporate too much. They expect results.

Also, now I want to remake a scene with drawings from my kid.Fair warning: his skill level doesn't surpass 'wavy lines'.
*spits out gum out of shock*
Kingpin wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 9:48 pm
timeware wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:58 pm Universal studios, Disney parks, they both want your money.
In future, could you provide context when you're posting hypotheticals? Without the context it looked like you'd heard some rumour out there suggesting Ghostbusters was returning to Universal Studios Florida.
The question was pretty straight forward. Disney's using new technology that universal will eventually be using down the road. I did provide the Baby Groot video as proof that this is something that could happen at a future date. I'm sorry for the confusion but there are already rumors that Disney has plans to use this robot to add Yoda, Grogu, and the seven Dwarves to their parks.

SO it would only be natural to assume that once this tech becomes popular that Universal will want to do the same with Dobby, the Minions, The Puft's, Gremlins Etc.
timeware wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 10:29 pm The question was pretty straight forward. Disney's using new technology that universal will eventually be using down the road.
timeware wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 10:29 pmSO it would only be natural to assume that once this tech becomes popular that Universal will want to do the same with Dobby, the Minions, The Puft's, Gremlins Etc.
Again, what does Universal Studios have to do with Ghostbusters: Afterlife? There's currently no suggestion that Sony/Columbia have anymore partnership plans with Universal after the 2019 Halloween Horror Nights.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Hairy Biker and 1 others liked this
Groot is one of the most popular characters in an on-going franchise right now. I understand watching the video and thinking "Hey maybe Mini Pufts one day?" but given the film hasn't released yet and the franchise isn't the cultural phenomenon amongst younger people it once was, I'd say Afterlife animatronic rides are waaaay down the list of tie-in possibilities. Also that Groot is huge compared to the size of Mini Pufts in the movie. It's just multiple leaps of logic to get there because nothing really connects them.

But then... I've done exactly the same thing playing the Spider-man videogame and wishing it was an open world GB game. I guess that's still slightly more probable as both are owned by Sony and videogames are more common than theme park ride deals.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
I think practically, and even story-wise, we'll never see a free-roam Ghostbusters game like the recent Spider-Man and LEGO Spider-Man/Marvel/DC offerings... Even at it's videogaming height, the developers of GB:TVG opted for limiting the free-roaming capabilities to a few large levels (predominately if not entirely because they didn't have the budget and staff to achieve something larger).

Then there's the issue with the concept being in-spirit (no pun intended) with what we've seen in the Ghostbusters media to date: every bust the guys have been on has been unique from the one before, even if they have multiple cases with Class 5 Free-Roaming Vapours... back-to-back, each ghost had had a unique look, story, and motivation... Something you just wouldn't be able to do with the gestation time and space limitations of even a modern Xbox/Playstation game...

Which would ultimately result in many of the "random" ghost encounters in said game becoming repetitive because you'd encounter the same group of ghosts, or individual ghosts, packaged with the same responses from the NPC civilians.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game may've felt contained in a box compared to other games, but in being contained in that box, I think it allowed the developers to add extra focus to the characters, and to make sure we didn't get too bored by the ghosts we encountered... Even when they were duplicates. :)
deadderek, SpaceBallz liked this
jaypakavelya wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:14 pm If they bring back the giant form of stay puft in Afterlife, is anybody ok if they go CGI instead of a guy (or girl) in costume ? You can't beat the first one in costume for picture realism, maybe a little bit of both ? What yall think ?
I’ve been seeing a lot of CGI vs practical stuff.

If they do a giant Stay Puft...it will be CGI. There’s no question. First of all there are so many films out there with filmmakers who were fans of practical effects and when they make their movie they insist on practical creatures and effects. But 75% of the time they just end up replacing the practical with CGI. It’s happened time & time again. So we have to ask....why? Why does that happen?

Well there’s a couple reasons. Practical effects are EXTREMELY limiting. A giant practical Stay Puft puts you in a box right away. You can’t change perspective, so you can’t do certain kinds of shots. Now I would argue that’s a positive, not a negative but very few filmmakers like being put in a box. Also with practical what you shoot is what you get. CGI can be changed and manipulated right up until the end. That’s huge.

Then of course there is price. Now practical isn’t always more expensive. Not exactly. Where it gets problematic is time. And time is money. And there’s an uncertainly factor built into practical. And that’s because...

“Does it look good”? You don’t know until you shoot it. The cameras of today are not the cameras of yesterday. So a “Man in Suit” practical Stay Puft...he might not hold up.

So do I want a CGI or practical Stay Puft? I want whatever is the best option to fulfill Jason’s vision. If he’s going for dynamic shots? CGI. But if he’s going to lock off the camera and shoot it at night? Gimme a man in suit.
Kingpin wrote:I think practically, and even story-wise, we'll never see a free-roam Ghostbusters game like the recent Spider-Man and LEGO Spider-Man/Marvel/DC offerings... Even at it's videogaming height, the developers of GB:TVG opted for limiting the free-roaming capabilities to a few large levels (predominately if not entirely because they didn't have the budget and staff to achieve something larger).

Then there's the issue with the concept being in-spirit (no pun intended) with what we've seen in the Ghostbusters media to date: every bust the guys have been on has been unique from the one before, even if they have multiple cases with Class 5 Free-Roaming Vapours... back-to-back, each ghost had had a unique look, story, and motivation... Something you just wouldn't be able to do with the gestation time and space limitations of even a modern Xbox/Playstation game...

Which would ultimately result in many of the "random" ghost encounters in said game becoming repetitive because you'd encounter the same group of ghosts, or individual ghosts, packaged with the same responses from the NPC civilians.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game may've felt contained in a box compared to other games, but in being contained in that box, I think it allowed the developers to add extra focus to the characters, and to make sure we didn't get too bored by the ghosts we encountered... Even when they were duplicates. :)
I think a slightly more confined free roam Ghostbusters game could work if it was set in the Real Ghostbusters universe. You could have a main story, that involves a new villain (or dare I say the cartoon version of Gozer, which we only ever saw as a slide on the Kenner Ghostbusters Light Zapper). Then you have side missions involving familiar faces: Bogeyman, Sandman, etc. These side missions get triggered if you encounter the right civilians. You could also have a research and development component to the story that involves locating and buying rare parts to upgrade gear. They could take some elements from the Kenner line as well. I think it would be cool to have the option of defeating RGB villains in different ways. For example, Cthulu was defeated by shooting proton streams at the metal on the rollercoaster. In the game, that could be an option, or maybe you figure out another creative way to defeat it.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Prime 1986 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:05 pm New product featuring the Mini-Pufts!
https://www.amazon.com/Franco-Bedding-S ... mes&sr=1-1
pencil, pushpins, those office supplies we see in the hands of the minipufts makes me think they will swarm either the school where the kids go or the sherriff's office ..
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:35 pm Likely the same hill or rock that the mine elevator's located on, the same one pictured on the Summerville County Sheriff seal.

(And because I couldn't resist): the ladder's on the wrong side of Wrecto-1! :)
The other thing you may notice is the Ecto isn't dirty. If they did a poster without the mini-puft's that would give a nice 80's flare to it.
deadderek liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

JonXCTrack wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:08 pm
Prime 1986 wrote:New product featuring the Mini-Pufts!
Good find. I'm curious about the mountain in the background with the beam shooting up out of the top.
Maybe Roy Neary knows what it means.
groschopf liked this

JonXCTrack wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:08 pm
Prime 1986 wrote:New product featuring the Mini-Pufts!
Good find. I'm curious about the mountain in the background with the beam shooting up out of the top.
Now where have we seen similar beams before? Hmmm I'm stumped. :P

Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:34 pm Could that be more proof of the Mini Pufts melting together as they seem to stick to each other?

Also, skybeam confirmed!
CONFIRMED! :P

I'm fully behind the thought of them being able to stick together/form a larger Puft. Seems reasonable based on what we've seen.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:27 am I'm hoping we will get Blob like vibes. An organism that keeps getting bigger as it collects more stuff.
Alpha if you wanna see that just take me to the buffet.
Alphagaia, Sav C, robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:36 am
Alphagaia wrote:I'm hoping we will get Blob like vibes. An organism that keeps getting bigger as it collects more stuff.
Perhaps the P.K.E. stream coming out the mountain will lead to a montage and that's when we'll see entities like the Wendigo Skull Ghost.
Now what's under there. A Gozergate or the Ecto Containment Unit?

My money is on gate.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome