Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: April 13th, 2021, 1:05 am
Hairy Biker wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:27 pm We're probably not going to get the cereal here. I imagine it won't reach the health standard.
I'm guessing Ecto Cooler never made it as well?

I sorta wish one could order just the package.
Same, I don't really care to eat bowls of pure sugar.
Dr.D wrote: April 12th, 2021, 12:36 pm Would be very funny to do a reversal of the scene of Stay Puft walking down Central Park West. Mini-Pufts all running away from a Ghostbuster.
A fun, and somewhat subtle sight gag would be to see four Mini-Pufts clustered on the edge of one of the top shelves at the store, looking down on Grooberson in echo of this shot:

Alphagaia, zeta otaku, RedSpecial and 5 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm Looks like General Mills formally announced the cereal. Anyone see both the family and mid-sizes at their stores? (And yeah, only for a limited time)
https://bleedingcool.com/collectibles/g ... ky-charms/
I picked up a couple of boxes at the Hyvee in Oakdale, MN.

They taste like... sugary Kix with marshmallows? Don't expect the knock-off Fruit Loop taste of the Ralston version from the '80s.
mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:05 am So help me out here, Americans.

You guys cannot have a cartoon figure on your sugar water. But on a box of sugar cereal it's okay?
I don't know what you mean by sugar water? There are tons of cartoon characters on juice boxes and milk out here. Disney and cartoon network sell those little bottles with character toppers on them. There was a point due to politics that diet nannies, or the food control freaks made a big uproar about cartoon characters on cereal prmoting child hood obesity.

Nintendo had Mario and Company on soda products for a while. Image

Some companies caved, some didn't. This group tried to get Kung Fu Panda pulled out of theatres beccause PO was considered to fat. I just can't remember their official name. But as far as I know there aren't any laws stating that we can't have cartoons on soda or juice.
Well, since Timeware did most of the heavy typing I'll follow-up.

I believe what you're thinking of is the limitations on advertising soda (and other junk foods) to children. You aren't allowed to advertise junk food to children under a certain age. Cartoon characters are frowned upon because they tend to appeal more to children.
Coover5 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:52 am Well, since Timeware did most of the heavy typing I'll follow-up.

I believe what you're thinking of is the limitations on advertising soda (and other junk foods) to children. You aren't allowed to advertise junk food to children under a certain age. Cartoon characters are frowned upon because they tend to appeal more to children.
Yeah, thx. That's exactly why I was puzzled by the rerelease Ecto Cooler losing Slimer, but the new cereal kept the cartoon characters!

But I guess it's not a law, just a preference?
What is illegal is for the ads to be intentionally aimed at children of a certain age. For example having Buzz Lightyear chugging Dr. Pepper in a commercial would not be allowed because the franchise he comes from is itself aimed at children. However characters from Family Guy would be allowed because they target an adult audience.

EDIT
I seem to be mistaken. It is not a law but self-regulatory. Found this online

Many industry groups have self-regulatory codes governing advertising and disputes within the industry. The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Better Business Bureau is an industry group that reviews national advertising for truthfulness and resolves truth in advertising disputes. The Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus is the children's component of the advertising industry's self-regulation system. CARU publishes "Self-Regulatory Guidelines for Children's Advertising." The guidelines, which apply to national advertising primarily directed to children under 12 years of age in any medium, ensure that advertising directed to children is not deceptive, unfair or inappropriate for its intended audience. The guidelines take into account that children are uniquely impressionable and vulnerable. For example, in determining whether an advertisement is deceptive, CARU looks at the level of experience, sophistication, and maturity of the children in the intended audience, in addition to any limits on their cognitive abilities and their ability to evaluate the advertising claims. The guidelines also address online data collection and privacy-related practices targeting children under 13 years of age, consistent with COPPA, a federal law discussed below. CARU monitors television commercials and reviews advertisements in print, radio and online media. When CARU finds children's product advertising to be misleading, inaccurate, or inconsistent with its guidelines, it seeks change through the voluntary cooperation of advertisers.
Alphagaia, Sav C, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
Thanks for the clarification!

So it basically boils down to Ecto Cooler losing slimer so it doesn't advertise to children as much, but the people who made the cereal chose to keep the mini Pufts (for obvious reasons, ofcourse: it's aimed at kids).

It got me thinking why it would be possible to make such a distinction as I'm under the impression it's both not very healthy, but I understand it a little better now as it's a choice, not a law in the USA.
Alphagaia wrote:Thanks for the clarification!

So it basically boils down to Ecto Cooler losing slimer so it doesn't advertise to children as much, but the people who made the cereal chose to keep the mini Pufts (for obvious reasons, ofcourse: it's aimed at kids).

It got me thinking why it would be possible to make such a distinction as I'm under the impression it's both not very healthy, but I understand it a little better now as it's a choice, not a law in the USA.
Anybody that thinks eating marshmallows for breakfast is healthy is an idiot. You shouldn't need a law to tell you that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad/apathetic parents out there.
Alphagaia, Sav C, deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: April 13th, 2021, 12:53 pmAnybody that thinks eating marshmallows for breakfast is healthy is an idiot. You shouldn't need a law to tell you that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad/apathetic parents out there.
I heard that pizza is more nutritious than most breakfast cereals, so yeah, that's all I needed to hear. Now I start every morning with a nice tall cup of black coffee and a couple slices of pizza. /s

My brother works in a supermarket so I'll tell him to be on the lookout for Ghostbusters cereal (assuming it's coming to Canada).
RedSpecial wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:29 pm He's just teasing us at this point :P

There's nothing you can say that won't convince me the whole cast hasn't seen it. :)
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote: April 13th, 2021, 1:54 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: April 13th, 2021, 12:53 pmAnybody that thinks eating marshmallows for breakfast is healthy is an idiot. You shouldn't need a law to tell you that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad/apathetic parents out there.
I heard that pizza is more nutritious than most breakfast cereals, so yeah, that's all I needed to hear. Now I start every morning with a nice tall cup of black coffee and a couple slices of pizza. /s

My brother works in a supermarket so I'll tell him to be on the lookout for Ghostbusters cereal (assuming it's coming to Canada).
If eating pizza for breakfast is wrong, I don't want to be right. I don't know Sav. With that Eh, to Zed stuff you guys got going on over there it might confuse the shipping process.
Sav C, groschopf liked this
timeware wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:09 pm If eating pizza for breakfast is wrong, I don't want to be right. I don't know Sav. With that Eh, to Zed stuff you guys got going on over there it might confuse the shipping process.
Aboot that... Haha I'm an embarrassment to this country--I still pronounce "Z" as "zee" instead of "zed." Add in my habitual use of Fahrenheit and you can bet it draws some weird looks from my fellow Canucks...
Last edited by Sav C on April 13th, 2021, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groschopf, timeware liked this
deadderek wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:59 pm
RedSpecial wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:29 pm He's just teasing us at this point :P

There's nothing you can say that won't convince me the whole cast hasn't seen it. :)
I’ve read this 5 times and my brain still can’t parse through the negatives to figure out what you are saying.
seekandannoy liked this
Michael Scott wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:33 pm
deadderek wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:59 pm

I’ve read this 5 times and my brain still can’t parse through the negatives to figure out what you are saying.
I use plain and simple English, I don't have any accent that I'm aware of...

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]