Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Paco wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:48 pm I can see Ray doing the podcast circuit as a Bob Lazar-esque figure talking about the team's past, something which has fallen into obscurity and downright people denying it. I know the notion of the general public disbelieving the Ghostbusters is already been played but given our current cultural climate I wouldn't put it past people to be polarized on the subject.

I'd laugh if they insert the real life podcast Akryoyd did with Joe Rogan.
I can totally see someone doing a podcast in this movie, but I know it's not Ray.
Davideverona liked this
We'll probably get lucky to get 45 days for Ghostbusters. with a fall release I'd guess they'll have physical copies and streaming available before Christmas. I'm sure the majority of the profits are made within the first few weeks and if you haven't seen it by a month and a half you probably not going to go to theaters anyways.

I wonder if we're still going to have theaters in 5/10 years from now. With home theaters becoming so much better and cheaper, streaming and 4K Blu-rays, I have no desire to go to theaters anymore. I used to go every week during the summer. unless it's like a special movie that I want to financially support like after life or maybe Alita 2, I would rather just save money by owning it and watch it at home
Someone on Twitter (so take it with a grain of salt) says to expect the GB Twinkies to hit around June.
ccv66 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:07 pm
I wonder if we're still going to have theaters in 5/10 years from now. With home theaters becoming so much better and cheaper, streaming and 4K Blu-rays, I have no desire to go to theaters anymore. I used to go every week during the summer. unless it's like a special movie that I want to financially support like after life or maybe Alita 2, I would rather just save money by owning it and watch it at home
Been hearing that argument for about 20 years. Theaters still have plenty of life left in them.
ccv66, Kingpin liked this
deadderek wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:09 pm Someone on Twitter (so take it with a grain of salt) says to expect the GB Twinkies to hit around June.
The week of June 8, perhaps? I'm still hoping Sony/Ghost Corps is planning a virtual event for GB Day.
deadderek wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:10 pmBeen hearing that argument for about 20 years. Theaters still have plenty of life left in them.
Agreed. Two examples I think of is watching Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame in a theater with a bunch of strangers. The cinema experience is something that can't be duplicated at home. All the children crying at the end of Infinity War and adults freaking out "That's the end?!" or the sheer joy and electricity in the room when Cap uses Thor's Mjölnir in the big battle. For ATC, it was the Times Square battle. I'm sure, there will be plenty of moments like that in Afterlife.
pizzarat, ccv66, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Having other people in theaters is a negative for me. Not just strangers even the people I know. I hope theaters around forever. Definitely great memories at the theater. You know what I liked even more, going down to Blockbuster on a Friday night with my dad, spending 40 mins looking around, Renting two movies and video game. An experience that can't be duplicated outside of Oregon. It's $50 to take a date with drinks and popcorn even worse if you have a family. Not sure how many movie theaters are even going to survive and there's always going to be a new "covid" around the corner. The studios don't care where they get the money from as long as they get it. You might have been seeing it for 20 years but 20 years ago they didn't streaming. I'm rooting for theaters, I hope I'm wrong.. I'm sure I've had a year between going with dates friends and family where I've spent over a $1000 dollars at the theaters. They'll be lucky to get $20 this year from me
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:08 pm
deadderek wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:09 pm Someone on Twitter (so take it with a grain of salt) says to expect the GB Twinkies to hit around June.
The week of June 8, perhaps? I'm still hoping Sony/Ghost Corps is planning a virtual event for GB Day.
deadderek wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:10 pmBeen hearing that argument for about 20 years. Theaters still have plenty of life left in them.
Agreed. Two examples I think of is watching Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame in a theater with a bunch of strangers. The cinema experience is something that can't be duplicated at home. All the children crying at the end of Infinity War and adults freaking out "That's the end?!" or the sheer joy and electricity in the room when Cap uses Thor's Mjölnir in the big battle.
You know what else isn't duplicated at home? Having annoying teenager seated behind you continually talk while you're trying enjoy the movie like I had when I saw john wick 3.
ccv66, mrmichaelt liked this
Ectojeff88 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:23 pm Paramount just shortened their theatrical window for big movies Top Gun, M:I 7, and Quiet Place 2 and others
to 45 days before going to Paramount+.

MGM, Sony and Lionsgate still holdouts with no release strategy adjustments.
They are also, coincidentally, the only major studios without a streaming platform(Sony no longer owns Crackle). Universal, Paramount, WB, Disney(+Fox) all have streaming services either out or in the pipeline for this year. Sony just doesn’t have the content that they can justify creating & charging a streaming service. They are also the only major studio that isn’t in the “owning a TV channel” game. ABC, NBC, CBS & The CW(+HBO) are all represented by those companies I just named. Granted I think because Sony is Japanese it can’t legally purchase(or start) a broadcast network.
ccv66 liked this
Timo wrote: February 24th, 2021, 4:25 pm
Paco wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:48 pm I can see Ray doing the podcast circuit as a Bob Lazar-esque figure talking about the team's past, something which has fallen into obscurity and downright people denying it. I know the notion of the general public disbelieving the Ghostbusters is already been played but given our current cultural climate I wouldn't put it past people to be polarized on the subject.

I'd laugh if they insert the real life podcast Akryoyd did with Joe Rogan.
I can totally see someone doing a podcast in this movie, but I know it's not Ray.
This is a curious statement to make. I know you've seen clips from the film, but not the film in its entirety. To me, this means that Ray is either dead, has been locked away in some kind of insane asylum (or prison), or he has " gone off the grid", renouncing all technology and/or human contact. I'm leaning towards going off of the grid. We know this film is about forgiveness. Perhaps Ray blames himself for Egon's death and has self-isolated, similar to Luke Skywalker in the Force Awakens.
Davideverona wrote:Given the fact that the original Ghostbusters will suit up in the movie I don't think anyone of them has gone TOO bonkers. I wouldn't trust a lunatic Ray with a proton pack.

A melancholic self isolation after Egon's death? Maybe.
What if Egon left the property to his daughter (Carrie Coons), but Ray has been squatting there for several years, hiding away from the world and watching over certain equipment? Maybe that's why there are all of those signs on the edge of the property - to keep people away.

Another thought: What if Mr. Grooberson saying "Who are you?" is actually directed towards Ray, and not anyone in the new cast. The Italian trailer shows that line is not spoken at the school, but what looks like someone's home. Maybe Mr. Grooberson comes to the farm house and meets Ray, and kind of recognizes him, but isn't quite sure. "Who are you?" he says. "Dr. Ray Stantz" replies Ray.
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
RichardLess wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:51 am They are also, coincidentally, the only major studios without a streaming platform(Sony no longer owns Crackle). Universal, Paramount, WB, Disney(+Fox) all have streaming services either out or in the pipeline for this year. Sony just doesn’t have the content that they can justify creating & charging a streaming service. They are also the only major studio that isn’t in the “owning a TV channel” game. ABC, NBC, CBS & The CW(+HBO) are all represented by those companies I just named. Granted I think because Sony is Japanese it can’t legally purchase(or start) a broadcast network.
Sony does but not a 'mainstream' one. They recently bought Crunchyroll. While it is an anime streaming service, I'd speculate they may eventually retool it to stream all their content and not just anime. But way too early on in the buyout process for there to be any chance of a hybrid rollout for their live action titles this year.

But yes, according to a federal law, a foreign company can't own more than 25% of an American radio or television station.
JonXCTrack wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Davideverona wrote:Given the fact that the original Ghostbusters will suit up in the movie I don't think anyone of them has gone TOO bonkers. I wouldn't trust a lunatic Ray with a proton pack.

A melancholic self isolation after Egon's death? Maybe.
What if Egon left the property to his daughter (Carrie Coons), but Ray has been squatting there for several years, hiding away from the world and watching over certain equipment? Maybe that's why there are all of those signs on the edge of the property - to keep people away.

Another thought: What if Mr. Grooberson saying "Who are you?" is actually directed towards Ray, and not anyone in the new cast. The Italian trailer shows that line is not spoken at the school, but what looks like someone's home. Maybe Mr. Grooberson comes to the farm house and meets Ray, and kind of recognizes him, but isn't quite sure. "Who are you?" he says. "Dr. Ray Stantz" replies Ray.
Those signs definitely make me think he was there at some point while Spengler was still alive. I'm fairly certain it will be established that Venkman and Zeddemore went off into different career paths while the other two continued their paranormal studies. My own speculation is that Stantz and Spengler had a falling out, leading to Egon living there alone, or there was an ill-fated experiment ("that would've worked if you hadn't stopped me") that Ray feels responsible for because Egon passed away.

Whatever it ends up being... I'm excited.
deadderek liked this
Dr.D wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:04 pm I got a feeling almost every one of us is gonna be teary eyed through this whole movie.
There are only two movies that moves me to tears. Marley and Me when I saw it in theatre and Ghost EVERY DAMN TIME I see it, expecially after losing my dear grandfather. In his last days he promised me that he will be visiting me, if allowed.
Davideverona wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
Dr.D wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:04 pm I got a feeling almost every one of us is gonna be teary eyed through this whole movie.
There are only two movies that moves me to tears. Marley and Me when I saw it in theatre and Ghost EVERY DAMN TIME I see it, expecially after losing my dear grandfather. In his last days he promised me that he will be visiting me, if allowed.
Call yourself blessed you haven't seen Hachi: A Dog's Tale.

Don't. Just don't do it.
Davideverona liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:03 am
Davideverona wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Call yourself blessed you haven't seen Hachi: A Dog's Tale.

Don't. Just don't do it.

Oh man I could only watch it once. It almost killed me. :):):)
Minor spoiler, something to speculate on.

mrmichaelt, Davideverona, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
Neat they used a New York based band (Menahan Street Band). So it seems in-universe Ray Parker did a cover of a 60s song when he made the Ghostbusters song for the guys in the 80s. Why 1960s specifically though?

This quote was from The Oakland Press yesterday but most of the article is behind a pay wall hence Michigan Ghostbusters making the post so everyone can see the tidbit for GB
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/enterta ... 34978.html
deadderek liked this
Because Ramis' generation grew up with that music, loved it and used in a ton of 80s movies. Examples: Do Wah Diddy Diddy in Stripes,
(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher in Ghostbusters 2, Unchained Melody in Ghost, Big Girls Don't Cry in Nothing But Trouble, Day-o in Beatlejuice and most of the sound track of Dirty Dancing.
deadderek, mrmichaelt, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
Michael Scott wrote: February 26th, 2021, 6:16 am So in universe the song existed before the company? I’m guessing the song is where the company got the idea for the name. This makes it a little less awkward that Ray and Winston were dancing to a song about themselves at the birthday party.
Well, clearly in the GB:A universe it was the theme song for the Filmation live-action Ghost Busters first :lol:
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]