Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Bison256 wrote: February 17th, 2021, 8:14 pm
Davideverona wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:11 am How times change.

Here in Italy, Return of the Living Dead was forbidden to kids under 14.
What were all those cheap Italian zombie/horror movies rated?
Same as ROFTLD.

And, if I recall correctly, Rocky Horror Picture Show was forbidden to people under 18.
Do we know when they'll start stocking?

I tested postive for Covid. I hope none of you ever get this thing. This virus is a tricky bastard. There's parts of the day when you don't feel like you have the flu, then there's most of the time that you do. My dad is recovering without issue. My mom is starting to develop a cough. But so far only mild flu like symptoms.
The rating was never ever going to be anything but PG-13 so that shouldn’t be surprising or tell anyone anything we didn’t already know. If they’ve screened the film for the MPAA that means it’s a locked picture and that means someone, somewhere knows the runtime.

The runtime. That’s what I’m most interested in. This has gotta be like Goldielocks. It can’t be too long and it can’t be too short. Normally I love long runtimes so the movie has a chance to breathe. But Ghostbusters is a comedy first & foremost & one of the main “rules” of comedy films is “keep it short”. A comedy shouldn’t be over 2 hours.
The sweet spot is about 100-110 minutes. Anything less is too short. Anymore & you’ve got pacing problems.

(I’m sure everyone here would love a 3 hour version of this movie but I’m talking in the sense of “what’s good for the overall films performance”)
deadderek, moviemaker29 liked this
RichardLess wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:45 pm The rating was never ever going to be anything but PG-13 so that shouldn’t be surprising or tell anyone anything we didn’t already know. If they’ve screened the film for the MPAA that means it’s a locked picture and that means someone, somewhere knows the runtime.

The runtime. That’s what I’m most interested in. This has gotta be like Goldielocks. It can’t be too long and it can’t be too short. Normally I love long runtimes so the movie has a chance to breathe. But Ghostbusters is a comedy first & foremost & one of the main “rules” of comedy films is “keep it short”. A comedy shouldn’t be over 2 hours.
The sweet spot is about 100-110 minutes. Anything less is too short. Anymore & you’ve got pacing problems.

(I’m sure everyone here would love a 3 hour version of this movie but I’m talking in the sense of “what’s good for the overall films performance”)
One and two were around the 110 mark weren't they?
deadderek liked this
timeware wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:35 pm I tested postive for Covid. I hope none of you ever get this thing. This virus is a tricky bastard.
Shit. :shock:

Hope you have as quick a recovery as possible. Good to hear about your Dad, though sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope she's feeling better as soon as possible as well.
RichardLess wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:45 pm someone, somewhere knows the runtime.
A post made by Jason towards the end of November strongly suggests the runtime for Afterlife will be two hours:
Jason Reitman wrote:We’ve been thinking about the same two hours for 18 months.
-Source
deadderek, pizzarat, timeware and 1 others liked this
Two hours can seem quite loquacious for a GB movie, but I'm really excited about it. That should be plenty of time to establish the new setting and characters while also giving us the crucial post-GBII exposition we all crave. I really commend the way there's been nothing too spoiler-ish leaked about this film so far. Like, just who is Sheriff Domingo? I want to know everything about the character named "Thickneck". That elderly roller-skating, car-hop sounds hilarious.

And when you also consider the size of the cast and the town, we should get some excellent, meaningful scenes with the OGBs.
Kingpin wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:25 pm
timeware wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:35 pm I tested postive for Covid. I hope none of you ever get this thing. This virus is a tricky bastard.
Shit. :shock:

Hope you have as quick a recovery as possible. Good to hear about your Dad, though sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope she's feeling better as soon as possible as well.
RichardLess wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:45 pm someone, somewhere knows the runtime.
A post made by Jason towards the end of November strongly suggests the runtime for Afterlife will be two hours:
Jason Reitman wrote:We’ve been thinking about the same two hours for 18 months.
-Source
I wouldn’t read too much into that comment from Reitman about the two hours. He probably wasn’t being specific there. A lot of filmmakers round up or down to two hours when talking generally about the running time of their movies. I mean it could very well be 2 hours but I think he’d say the same thing if it was 105 minutes or 130.
deadderek liked this
timeware wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am What I don't want is a forty minute character intro.
Not 40 minutes of just character info, but I hope they're reasonably fleshed out... And the central mystery has to be built up a bit before the guys are called in.
timeware wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am Did anyone see this yet? This made my day today!

This one was better:

mrmichaelt liked this
It interesting to me how many of you treat Ghostbusters & it’s plot points like it’s Star Wars or something. The obsessing over continuity & “will it acknowledge the video game, is it canon?”. Sometimes it seems like most of you view Ghostbusters as a serious sci fi concept vs the comedy film it really is. Which is fine. There’s no right or wrong way to look at this franchise. It’s just interesting to me & different than how I view the films. The actual Ghostbusting scenes are fun but they’ve always been the least interesting parts of the movie to me. I love the characters, their interactions. All that good stuff. The ghost busting is just gravy. The cherry on top.

The last thing I want from this movie is a CGI fest of ghost armies and action for the sake of action. I love how restrained Ghostbusters 2 is. There’s very little proton pack action. Less than the first film. Which makes the moments when the proton packs are used, feel special. The reboot climax was just a mess of CGI crap & non sense that might make sense for a Marvel movie. Yes the original film has a big awesome FX heavy Climax. But all of it is character based. Mr. Stay Puft is a character moment for Ray. It’s also a terrific sight gag. I’ll be really disappointed if GBA features like 8 characters with proton packs busting ghosts in the climax.

For me the order of importance in Ghostbusters goes like this; #1 Character, #2 Comedy, #3 Plot, #4 Action-Ghostbusting.

I’ve said this before but my favourite scenes in Ghostbusters 1 & 2 is just the guys hanging out & investigating stuff. Scenes like Rays Occult or the Slime test. Ray & Egon chilling at the fire house looking at pictures & thinking about what to order for dinner.
RedSpecial, Sav C, deadderek and 2 others liked this
timeware wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am What I don't want is a forty minute character intro. I'd like the movie to start off with the kids moving in, then finding the trail of Ghostbusters clues that leads them to Egon's lab. Did anyone see this yet? This made my day today!

Yeah, Gremlins is going an interesting route different than Ghostbusters. Supposedly rights issues have finally been hammered away and Columbus recently finished a script for a third Gremlins movie all while an HBO Max prequel animated series is in the works and this past week, they just announced it was renewed for a second season when the first hasn't even streamed yet. The animated series could keep Gremlins in the public sphere and finally get the third movie moving. And yeah, this Mountain Dew commercial was a great little screen test of how technology has improved 30 years later with using the puppet, thankfully, and being able to use tech to digitally erase the bars manipulating Gizmo. Maybe even gave a sneak peek at Billy's daughter and her Mogwai if she's in the movie script and/or keeping the same actress. It's funny how Ghostbusters almost went this same route of an animated project coming first but Ecto Force was shelved and not sure if they're even actively working on the animated movie anymore.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the animated movie that they had hinted at years ago. I guess that project evolved into Ghostbusters: Afterlife
ecto88mph wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:47 pm Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the animated movie that they had hinted at years ago. I guess that project evolved into Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Nope. It was put on hold to see if Afterlife will be successful. If that happens, we have a new animated movie too.
It was written in the article where Sony announced Jason's working on a Ghostbusters sequel.
deadderek liked this
timeware wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:47 pm I just don't see Peter as the home ec type. Anything he cooks will more then likely end up looking like something Bender would create. Or more along the lines of something you'd see on the dinner table belonging to the Micawbs.
Did the word “interesting” change meaning while I was gone lol? Having a character do something you expect them to do isn’t interesting.

Using the scenario you provided, it would be more interesting if Venkman turned out to be a gourmet cooking snob & was a legit great cook, err, “chef”. He’s a wine enthusiast & uses words like “palate”. Just like the real guy who portrays Venkman.
Ecto24601 wrote: February 20th, 2021, 12:02 pm I'm curious how the movie will start. Will we see a mysterious opening like in GB1+2 or straight into the family story, e.g. the eviction.
Not really related to GBA but..

When I was a kid I had Ghostbusters 1 & 2 on the same VHS tape that someone recorded off of PPV or something. It was Ghostbusters 1 & 2 + Beetlejuice, in that order. Eventually the tracking went all haywire on the tape so my parents bought me the 15th Anniversary set when it came out. I still remember seeing the “5 Years Later” text for the first time! My old copy cut in with the slime oozing out of the sidewalk. I had also never seen the end credits for either movie. Infact to this day whenever I watch Ghostbusters 2 and Venkman says “I believe it’s one of the fettuccini’s” and you hear the beginning of the GB song? Right at the moment I always expect to hear the Danny Elfman Beetlejuice opening theme.
Also, the original tape I had of those 3 movies together? GB2 started off with widescreen bars up until Dana goes to see Egon at his lab. Then it went full frame. But the frame was still kinda off. When Janosz asks Dana if he has “bad breath or something” my original tape you could see Dana letting go of the breath she was holding(thus indicating Janosz did have bad breath). The 15 anniversary tape of GB2 was panned & scanned so I couldn’t see Dana holding her breath. It totally cut off a joke.

I bring this up because it would be kinda cool to see GBA carry the GB2 tradition & start off with “32 Years Later”. I doubt it will. But I kinda hope it does. I think that would be kind of funny actually & a nice acknowledgment of the sequel.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
RichardLess wrote: February 20th, 2021, 4:14 pm It interesting to me how many of you treat Ghostbusters & it’s plot points like it’s Star Wars or something. The obsessing over continuity & “will it acknowledge the video game, is it canon?”. Sometimes it seems like most of you view Ghostbusters as a serious sci fi concept vs the comedy film it really is. Which is fine. There’s no right or wrong way to look at this franchise. It’s just interesting to me & different than how I view the films. The actual Ghostbusting scenes are fun but they’ve always been the least interesting parts of the movie to me. I love the characters, their interactions. All that good stuff. The ghost busting is just gravy. The cherry on top.

The last thing I want from this movie is a CGI fest of ghost armies and action for the sake of action. I love how restrained Ghostbusters 2 is. There’s very little proton pack action. Less than the first film. Which makes the moments when the proton packs are used, feel special. The reboot climax was just a mess of CGI crap & non sense that might make sense for a Marvel movie. Yes the original film has a big awesome FX heavy Climax. But all of it is character based. Mr. Stay Puft is a character moment for Ray. It’s also a terrific sight gag. I’ll be really disappointed if GBA features like 8 characters with proton packs busting ghosts in the climax.

For me the order of importance in Ghostbusters goes like this; #1 Character, #2 Comedy, #3 Plot, #4 Action-Ghostbusting.

I’ve said this before but my favourite scenes in Ghostbusters 1 & 2 is just the guys hanging out & investigating stuff. Scenes like Rays Occult or the Slime test. Ray & Egon chilling at the fire house looking at pictures & thinking about what to order for dinner.
I'm with you 100% on this. I only ever wondered if the game would get a nod because it was Ramis' final Ghostbusters outing. Ghostbusters has to be a comedy above all else. Whenever I hear anyone talk about how it should go grimdark it's just so depressing. Ghostbusters works and it stands the test of time so well because it was made as an ensemble comedy by professionals of ensemble comedy, rather than as a sci-fi.

It's something I'd actually give Paul Feig credit for, myself. It would have been easy to go pure Marvel, but he went for contemporary improv leaning comedy. Happy to admit it's not to everyone's taste, but it does fit the 2016 comedy milleu, as Ghostbusters fit with the loose Blues Brothers/Trading Places post SNL anarchic vibe and GB2 fit with the more bucolic Twins/Cool Runnings/Beethoven early 90s family comedy vibe. To lean on a cliché, they are all of their time.

It'll actually be weird to have a sequel that is completely thematically consistent with any of the earlier ones!
Last edited by robbritton on February 21st, 2021, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardLess wrote: February 21st, 2021, 3:54 am
Ecto24601 wrote: February 20th, 2021, 12:02 pm I'm curious how the movie will start. Will we see a mysterious opening like in GB1+2 or straight into the family story, e.g. the eviction.
Not really related to GBA but..

When I was a kid I had Ghostbusters 1 & 2 on the same VHS tape that someone recorded off of PPV or something. It was Ghostbusters 1 & 2 + Beetlejuice, in that order. Eventually the tracking went all haywire on the tape so my parents bought me the 15th Anniversary set when it came out. I still remember seeing the “5 Years Later” text for the first time! My old copy cut in with the slime oozing out of the sidewalk. I had also never seen the end credits for either movie. Infact to this day whenever I watch Ghostbusters 2 and Venkman says “I believe it’s one of the fettuccini’s” and you hear the beginning of the GB song? Right at the moment I always expect to hear the Danny Elfman Beetlejuice opening theme.
Also, the original tape I had of those 3 movies together? GB2 started off with widescreen bars up until Dana goes to see Egon at his lab. Then it went full frame. But the frame was still kinda off. When Janosz asks Dana if he has “bad breath or something” my original tape you could see Dana letting go of the breath she was holding(thus indicating Janosz did have bad breath). The 15 anniversary tape of GB2 was panned & scanned so I couldn’t see Dana holding her breath. It totally cut off a joke.

I bring this up because it would be kinda cool to see GBA carry the GB2 tradition & start off with “32 Years Later”. I doubt it will. But I kinda hope it does. I think that would be kind of funny actually & a nice acknowledgment of the sequel.
My mom's boyfriend was recording GB2 off of HBO on VHS and he had one of them fancy big TVs where he could have a 2nd channel pop up in a small square in the corner of the TV, so whenever I watched GB2 on our VHS some parts were dubbed over by a football game.
timeware wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:42 am What I don't want is a forty minute character intro. I'd like the movie to start off with the kids moving in, then finding the trail of Ghostbusters clues that leads them to Egon's lab. Did anyone see this yet? This made my day today!
I believe it was implied that the trailer constitutes the first forty minutes of the film or so.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]