I started with a "Very Big Sketchbook" and some red leather
The base book was too wide--the proportions just didn't sit well with me. So I got out a fresh box cutter and silly me thought I could cut it straight and even.
Now here is where my family motto becomes really apparent. "There's the fast way to do something, the right way, and then there is the Kime way." I got out the skillsaw and went to town trying to take off the rest of the excess.
And got this as a result. Note the area where the box cutter curved inward.
The next (questionably) logical thing to do was get out the combination sander and just sand it all down until the mistakes disappeared.
This will take a while, but it's working. Next time I try something stupid like this I'm going to invest in a bandsaw. That will make this whole thing so much easier.
After all of the sanding it will be time to remove the old cover and construct and attach a new one. Stay tuned for more.