Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Just want to reiterate, again, turning a profit at $85-$120m budget would make Ghostbusters: Afterlife the most successful movie in streaming history, by a significant amount. Bill & Ted 3 was a hit on VOD and earned less than $50m. The numbers for streaming are low.

Also, all the mom & pop non-chain movie theaters were covered in the previous relief bill, with billions going to support music venues and non-chain movie theaters, among other performing arts venues. That might not cover them through 2021, but they have a lifeline. Not to mention, if nearly every movie studio is sitting on some major movies they want to earn traditional blockbuster box office on, then every studio has an investment in making sure chain theaters survive. Things are rough, but in the end, I expect the chain theaters to get bailed out somehow.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
Every time that a new thing happens in the movie industry it is believed it will kill what came before.
Chaplin predicted that spoken movie were the end of the seventh art.
Dvds and blue Ray were meant to strike a huge blow to theatres. Now we hear the same thing about streaming services.

But we keep forgetting that people WANTS to go to the cinema. They will want to experience that again and I personally think that it will be the first of the pre covid things we'll be able to do securely again. Take the children to their grandparents and spend a night out with the missus.

They are even shooting movies again in the midst of a pandemic. Yes, some theatres sadly will not make it but there will be always someone who'll reopen them, if there is a high demand.
deadderek liked this
Topic unlocked. Thanks for the patience, and sorry for the inconvenience everyone.
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:00 am October is right there! It’s a no brainer.
Bond is now set for release in early October, I can see Sony's logic for not wanting to compete against a former part of their catelogue.

Covid: James Bond film No Time To Die delayed for third time
deadderek, Alphagaia, Glenn Frederick and 2 others liked this
yourbigpalal83 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:38 am Im devastated by the now 4th delay! Look, Sony needs to realize that the days of 500 million dollar plus theatrical releases are over, (at-least for the next few years).
I'm pretty sure nothing big is going to be planned for awhile.

Sony is only protecting it's investments, as no one saw the pandemic coming. Ghostbusters Afterlife can afford to wait. It only make sense to wait til the theaters are back to whatever normal is going to be when the pandemic is over.

Also I have to admit it, if they had released it this summer, I was likely only going to see it once due to the worries and responsibilities I have to family. I'd rather wait til I don't have to worry about bringing home Covid-19. Many people share my view so Sony better just cool its jets or expect many people to not watch (or skip out on repeats due to worries).

I voiced my disappointment a lot yesterday, but it is more about the ongoing situation which has forced Sony to delay, than Sony delaying itself. They are right to delay, it just sucks they had to.
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
Ok. Come on now. Enough is enough. Thousands of people are dying per day & we are over here bitching & moaning about a movie getting delayed 4 months.

A little perspective is never a bad thing. So chin up GBfans. It looks like this will be the last delay. And who knows, maybe things get better sooner & Sony moves it up. That does happen.

Everything I’ve heard says Sony is foaming at the mouth from the response the movie has gotten. Deadline Hollywood mentioned Sony is very high on the movie. I do wish they’d give us a trailer to tie us over, especially after Muncher has become a huge viral hit. They should strike now with a trailer while people are talking about it.

**(Reposted from the reschedule thread)**
devilmanozzy, Alphagaia, RedSpecial and 7 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:33 am Topic unlocked. Thanks for the patience, and sorry for the inconvenience everyone.
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:00 am October is right there! It’s a no brainer.
Bond is now set for release in early October, I can see Sony's logic for not wanting to compete against a former part of their catelogue.

Covid: James Bond film No Time To Die delayed for third time
Yeah when I posted that I hadn’t yet read about Bond. Bond & Dune will take up the majority of the large screen venues(IMAX) so Nov 11 is probably the earliest where those screens are available(for those unaware some movies get exclusive access to a theatres IMAX screens for a set period of time, meaning only that film can be shown in IMAX).

It’s a shame Bond got there before they did. Nov 11th just...it seems like an awkward date for a Ghostbusters movie. Within a couple weeks it’ll be digging into the holiday season(& unlike GB2 that isn’t part of this movies plot).

I think a better release date would be late Dec. movies released on the 3rd weekend of December tend to have massive legs(Jumanji being a prime example). I mean, if you are going to skip Halloween why not go for the best date available. Oh right...Spider-Man. Sony Has Spidey coming out on that date.
Alphagaia liked this
I think Spidey is going to be either a hit or miss. Afterlife could have a chance to compete, maybe.

Since they are going the Spiderverse route they need a story that's not going to be confusing. I do think that they missed an opportunity to introduce the X-Men into the MCU here, but I think they might be over packing this film already. That's what hurt Toby's Spider-Man 3.

To this day I still have an issue with Topher Grace playing Venom. At the time they could have gone with any WWE wrestler to fill his role. I'm sure Triple H wouldn't have turned it down. I am however excited to see Daredevils return even if he doesn't suit up. Maybe they'll keep his version of Kingpin in some capacity.
Alphagaia liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:40 am Things are rough, but in the end, I expect the chain theaters to get bailed out somehow.
They got a $15 billion bailout in the last stimulus bill they passed.
timeware wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm I think Spidey is going to be either a hit or miss. Afterlife could have a chance to compete, maybe.
As much as I love Ghostbusters, there is 0 chance it could go head to head with an MCU movie.
Hairy Biker, mrmichaelt, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
moviemaker29 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:28 am What's really a shame is what impact all of the delays have had on a possible sequel to Afterlife. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I have been very optimistic that this film will be good enough and will earn well enough to justify continuing the franchise - I am sure that's something Sony is counting on as well. If the film had been released on time, they very well could have been in the early stages of writing another film right around now.

On the plus side, the kids will be older and a sequel will have less of a GB Jr./Stranger Things comparison, but if the story leaves an opening for any of the OG to return, the downside is that they will be even older. Personally, I would love to see them take an approach like the Rocky films have and give at least a couple of the OGs (Dan & Ernie) a mentorship role in future films and not just end their arcs with this film.

But with the older kids approaching late high school/college age, how fitting would it be if Afterlife ends (or a sequel picks up) with everyone returning to NYC, paving the way for the kids to attend Columbia University? Would be a nice tie into the original film.
Oh I wouldn't worry about the impact covid could have on this film. No matter what happens I don't think Afterlife will be the end of the franchise, even though it is shaping up to be the ultimate legacy film and one hell of a way to bring the franchise to a close. I am sure that Ghost Corps are already anticipating the film being a big hit when it finally comes out and are already working on new concepts or unshelving old concepts that were being worked on pre Afterlife announcement. ;).

Hopfully Afterlife is a big enough hit to get these projects off the ground. I don't think there will ever be as much love and attention put into another GB project as much as Afterlife, but it would be fun to see more content come from it. Weather that be a live action series set on the world of Ghostbusters, animated series, animated movie or more comics, or god willing all of the above. :):):)
philmorgan81 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:04 pm
moviemaker29 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:28 am What's really a shame is what impact all of the delays have had on a possible sequel to Afterlife. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I have been very optimistic that this film will be good enough and will earn well enough to justify continuing the franchise - I am sure that's something Sony is counting on as well. If the film had been released on time, they very well could have been in the early stages of writing another film right around now.

On the plus side, the kids will be older and a sequel will have less of a GB Jr./Stranger Things comparison, but if the story leaves an opening for any of the OG to return, the downside is that they will be even older. Personally, I would love to see them take an approach like the Rocky films have and give at least a couple of the OGs (Dan & Ernie) a mentorship role in future films and not just end their arcs with this film.

But with the older kids approaching late high school/college age, how fitting would it be if Afterlife ends (or a sequel picks up) with everyone returning to NYC, paving the way for the kids to attend Columbia University? Would be a nice tie into the original film.
Oh I wouldn't about the imapct covid could have on this film. No matter what happens I don't think Afterlife will be the end of the franchise, even though it is shaping up to be the ultimate legacy film and one hell of a way to bring the franchise to a close. I am sure that Ghost Corps are already anticipating the film being a big hit when it finally comrs out and are already working on new concepts or unshelving old concepts that were being worked on pre Afterlife announcement. ;).

Hopfully Afterlife is a big enough hit to get these projects off the ground. I don't think there will ever be as much love and attention put into another GB project as much as Afterlife, but it would be fun to see more content come from it. Weather that be a live action series set on the world of Ghostbusters, animated series, animated movie or more comics, or god willing all of the above. :):):)
I feel like the ultimate goal would be another sequel that would see the torch passing realized. While that movie is being developed maybe they'll finally produce one of the several series ideas that have been floated around in the last few years.
Alphagaia, moviemaker29, timeware and 1 others liked this
Ectojeff88 wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:21 am So those Rick Moranis rumors are flying again with Ernie’s recent comments...
“I think the studios probably want to hold that one. I love Rick but yeah, I’ll let them share that.”

What on earth does that mean?? Sounds like something’s brewing! :cool:
To tell the truth, these are comments Ernie made a month or so ago.

I think he flat out spoiled the involvement of Rick Moranis. Luckily, he's not Tom Holland and he didn't told us HOW Louis will come back.
SpaceBallz wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 3:09 pm I thought it was "honey potted"? Maybe I'm confusing that term with something else.
Honeydew was the name of the sock puppet account that was dishing out the dislikes last night.

Edit: Now it's another sock-puppet named "Cassiandra". I guess I'd be upset too if I had someone's hand stuck up my behind all day.
Last edited by pizzarat on January 23rd, 2021, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]