Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I know the new release date in November may seem weird but it is only ten days away from Harold Ramis's Birthday.
This film really seems to be a tribute to Harold Ramis so maybe they took that into consideration with the new release date since it does imply that the character Egon has the same birthday/date as mentioned in XGB "back in the saddle"?

Come to think of it the Ghostbusters usually seem busy around that time of year. Sure RGB had two Halloween themed episodes and a prime-time Special but (correct me if I am wrong) doesn't the battle with Gozer take place around November since the news papers in the montage have October dates? plus GB2 takes place through out the holidays. Come to think about it didn't GBTVG also take place in November?
RGB had Revenge of Murray the mantis and XGB two part finally "Back in the Saddle" takes place around the same time.

Plus we know the new characters are going to school so maybe this film is set around November and this will be the first time a Ghostbusters film will be shown during the time it actually takes place unlike the "Coming to save the World this Summer" tagline when everyone is wearing Jackets and Coats in the film.
Alphagaia, Davideverona liked this
Completely unsurprising and understandable in a world where a vaccination program is literally happening as I type. Unless there's a significant mutation of the virus I'd imagine UK cinemas will be open by November, whereas June was slightly more of a stretch, so.

I didn't think it was possible for me to be as ashamed of or embarrassed by GB fans as I was in the run up to ATC, but some of the idiots on Facebook are giving it the old College try this morning with calls to boycott and big "they don't care about the fans!" tantrums. Overgrown children shocked that a business would care more about the return on their own investment than the feelings of the comparatively tiny amount of Ghostbusters fans who might have to wait a few more weeks. Throwing their toys out of the pram about a film being delayed (which only means we can have a big communal experience down the line) while people are actually dying around them. Never once considering that streaming will never make as much as a cinema release, so no studio is going to release a tent pole property unless they have their own streaming service, which Sony don't.

So I guess I want to say that I am very grateful for you all here for not being that, and for reminding me this morning that our more selfish and childish elements are the outliers. Sorry for plonking the rant on here when I should be shouting at the FB dudes, but I figured mentioning vaccination on Facebook would have been a red rag to some bells (sic).

We'll get there, and even better we'll all get to enjoy it together, the way those of us around in the 80s were able to back then. And yeah, Halloween would have made more sense, but they released a New Year's movie midsummer, so by this point it's just tradition!
robbritton wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 1:38 am. Overgrown children shocked that a business would care more about the return on their own investment than the feelings of the comparatively tiny amount of Ghostbusters fans who might have to wait a few more weeks.
That part seems to go over most of their heads.

We are NOT Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

So many people seem to think our fandom is way bigger than it is.
Alphagaia, robbritton, RedSpecial and 2 others liked this
Sav C wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 1:15 am
Given the proximity of dates, I'm kinda surprised they didn't schedule it for Halloween. I wonder if another movie is slotted for Halloween week.
Yes, the one troubling thing that comes to mind is November 11 is 1 week after a Marvel Studios MCU movie is set to release (knock wood).
Alphagaia, robbritton, deadderek and 3 others liked this
deadderek wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 1:48 am
robbritton wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 1:38 am. Overgrown children shocked that a business would care more about the return on their own investment than the feelings of the comparatively tiny amount of Ghostbusters fans who might have to wait a few more weeks.
That part seems to go over most of their heads.

We are NOT Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

So many people seem to think our fandom is way bigger than it is.
Absolutely. And even Star Trek and Star Wars aren't really Star Trek and Star Wars - when they are huge, it is only because of interest beyond their fanbase. Fans are the low simmer on an oven that can keep a property bubbling over, but the best sauce in the world means nothing if Joe Public doesn't show up at the restaurant to eat it. (How's that for a clunky metaphor?! All those English GCSEs are paying off, Bobby!)

Anyway, if listening to the fans is what led to the last Star Wars film and it's subsequent comparative underperformance then I can't imagine Hollywood ever even looking at fans again, let alone pandering to them!
Glow in the Dark wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 2:42 am Their delaying it so many times has destroyed the excitement a lot of us had for the movie, so they screwed themselves.
If anything, you're underthinking.

The "lot of us" you refer to are a minority of Ghostbusters fans, a minority in itself - you're talking about a few thousand fans worldwide probably. If that. Sony aren't delaying this by choice - the cinema industry is closed. Oh, and of course millions of people are DYING. If Sony push this out to closed theatres or a streaming service - are you guys gonna fork out the $1billion Sony could potentially have made off this movie? Are you gonna fund future projects and merchandise?

It's pretty clear at this point, this movie has a lot going on we haven't seen, and by pushing it back the studio is confident in it - so chances are this is much closer to Ghostbusters 3 than Kid Ghostbusters or Turdbusters or whatever "you guys" want to call it. I'll wait to eventually watch it in a cinema to make that judgement.

Do something else with your 2021. Be thankful you can breathe, wear a mask. If this is the thing you need to vent about, maybe read up on some of the very unwholesome shit that is happening in the world right now and put that energy to better use.
Last edited by Kingpin on January 22nd, 2021, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Quote in this post has been edited for moderation.
Alphagaia, lozbloke, Hairy Biker and 6 others liked this
Selina42 wrote: January 21st, 2021, 5:38 pm Reddit spoilers
This Post Contains Spoilers
Interesting stuff if it is true or partially true!
lozbloke wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:32 am
Selina42 wrote: January 21st, 2021, 5:38 pm Reddit spoilers
This Post Contains Spoilers
If anything of that is true it's because they guessed it, not because they know it. It's nothing more than just the classic 'spoilers' regurgitating again when a big announcement makes it way and some people just want the attention.
deadderek, lozbloke, robbritton and 1 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:40 am
lozbloke wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:32 am

If anything of that is true it's because they guessed it, not because they know it. It's nothing more than just the classic 'spoilers' regurgitating again when a big announcement makes it way and some people just want the attention.
Agreed, likely to be just speculation but I do like a bit of speculation, even if sometimes its a little TOO creative / farfetched! :-)
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Speculate away boys, it's all we have until summer 2022 if covid-19 hasn't mutated into covid-26.
deadderek, lozbloke, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:56 am
timeware wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:40 am I have to wonder if Jason knew about the date change before it was announced.
Gonna be weird if he showed up at the June Premiere all alone.

'Guys?'
"Guys? Ok, my dad was right. You're full of crap"

NOVEMBER - GHOSTBUSTERS AFTERLIFE PREMIÉRE

Dan: "Where the f*** is Jason?"
Alphagaia, deadderek, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 4:33 am Speculate away boys, it's all we have until summer 2022 if covid-19 hasn't mutated into covid-26.
Well, I think Muncher is... wait, are you saying Afterlife will be delayed to summer 2022 and a new strain of covid will be discovered in 2026 and stow away a time machine to 2022 to further ruin our theatrical experience?
mrmichaelt wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 4:44 am
SpaceBallz wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 4:33 am Speculate away boys, it's all we have until summer 2022 if covid-19 hasn't mutated into covid-26.
Well, I think Muncher is... wait, are you saying Afterlife will be delayed to summer 2022 and a new strain of covid will be discovered in 2026 and stow away a time machine to 2022 to further ruin our theatrical experience?
At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised.
Davideverona wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 4:50 am What about 2024? It's the first movie 40th anniversary. It's a perfect release date!!! 😁😁😁
Why stop there? 2084 is just around the corner as long as you maintain a positive mental attitude!
mrmichaelt, deadderek, Davideverona and 3 others liked this
Assuming I live that long I'll be nearly 100. By thrn they better have GB4 at least filmed.
Someone discovered the reason why the movie keeps getting delayed:
Alphagaia, mike_waclo, RedSpecial and 6 others liked this
You know, I was ribbing people with my tiny "told you so" comment, but wow... I should have been banging on not to expect this film until the holidays over on the Facebook groups. Some of those members are apoplectic about this delay. And I get it... I'm not thrilled either. But the only thing surprising about the delay announcement is that it's set in early November, not late.

As of yesterday, only 4.5% of Americans had been given at least one dose of the vaccine.
Associated Press Vaccination Tracker:https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbre ... 9897232008

The US missed the December vaccination goals by a huge amount. We always hoped that this would be over by the Fall, but planned on next Winter. Given all the news we're learning about the outgoing administration not having a distribution plan, and how that's causing shortages at the state level currently... we are firmly in the not-being-done-with-this-crap-until-winter territory.

The vaccination process should pick up steam now. The Defense Production Act will now be leveraged harder, and hopefully Johnson and Johnson will get their vaccine online. But it's slow going at this moment.

The film delay was inevitable. Hopefully this is the last time it happens.

... and now I have to go read a 200-page federal strategy for my meeting on Monday, and it probably won't be the last lengthy document from the feds on this subject.

deadderek, robbritton, Sav C and 1 others liked this
We're lucky in the United States we now have an administration that adheres to science and is taking the pandemic seriously from day one. Who knows what the next few months have in store for us stateside?

My state (Michigan) is re-opening theaters February 1st. Good signs.
zeta otaku, Sav C, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
deadderek wrote:We're lucky in the United States we now have an administration that adheres to science and is taking the pandemic seriously from day one. Who knows what the next few months have in store for us stateside?

My state (Michigan) is re-opening theaters February 1st. Good signs.
You're giving the President (former and current) too much credit.

Each state chose to handle the pandemic differently. Florida has been wide open for weeks now. California had stricter mandates, and still had a huge spike. People there have become so sick of the lockdowns and seeing that they really didn't work, have resorted to opening modern day speakeasys - except instead of being served alcohol, you're getting underground haircuts and nail appointments.

There is still a lot about the Covid-19 virus that we don't know - and now it is mutating. I've seen reports that the vaccine still works against the variants. But will it work on the next variant? I'm not convinced that this pandemic is going to go away any time soon, nor am I convinced that the measures taken by elected officials are the correct ones. For example, the Governor of Maryland is ordering teachers to go back to a hybrid system. OK. Well if it's safe to have classrooms open, why not restaurants or theaters at half capacity? Also, I am particularly annoyed at people like Gavin Newson who blatantly flout their own edicts. Biden signed an EO that requires wearing a mask on Federal properties. Then he goes to the Lincoln Memorial and doesn't wear a mask. Perhaps he forgot to put one on being caught up in the whole celebration of everything. But it is a really bad look to require one thing of the people you supposedly represent, and then fail to do that very thing yourself.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of this bullshit pandemic.
BatDan, Coover5 liked this
Im devastated by the now 4th delay! Look, Sony needs to realize that the days of 500 million dollar plus theatrical releases are over, (at-least for the next few years).

Its just not happening! This idea that "Oh we will be back to normal in November" is total nonsense. First we got god knows how many issues with the supply chain to get the vaccine out to the people who want it (I myself want one badly) but then you got the very real issue of people refusing to get it.

What do you do then? Force them to get it?

Look, theaters are a dying breed at this point. I love going to the movies, when i was able to work, i worked at SEVERAL movie theaters in various posts, and i know how they work inside and out, both franchise ones and small mom and pop theaters.

The mom and pop theaters that arent part of a franchise are dead! End of story. No small theater owner can afford to keep their doors shut for almost a year on and off, and expect to pay for new light bulbs in the projectors, let alone the rent for the place (unless you outright own the building and property the theater is on, most likely your paying rent in a mini mall or something) and even by some miracle you do own the building and the property your still paying huge amount of taxes on it as well.

So, a year of constant shut downs and you just outright lost your theater! So yeah, figure a good chunk of movie theaters across the country that are privately owned and not part of a franchise are forever shut down due to the pandemic so less theaters means less profit.

Owning a small movie theater is barely profitable to begin with because they dont have the cooperation backing to support them!

Now, moving on to the big franchise chains...they themselves have been losing money for years before the pandemic. All the gimicks in the world like 3D (which i loved for a while btw) and super duper high end sound and digital projectors, moving seats and lights, etc still cant get people in seats the way they want them to just to eek out a profit for the film and the theater itself.

I forget the exact numbers but remember, the studios usually keep a large cut of the revenue of the film itself, the theater itself keeps another smaller cut, usually just to keep the lights on and the theater running in the first place.

Streaming and home video has been killing the theaters for years now.

Think of the logic of this. Why pay 250 plus million to film a movie, put it out in theaters where it has to generate atleast 500 to a billion dollars globally just for it to turn a profit when you can shoot an entire high end TV Show or a lower budget move, distribute it across multiple streaming platforms for a healthy profit, or better yet get an exclusive deal with one, they outright buy the movie and you get a profit from people at home watching it without all the high end mantance of shipping out prints (or digital hard drives of the movie)...you dont have to spend money on keeping theaters opened, mantained, etc...

The ONLY drawback to streaming is you cant charge for every person watching said film. A household could spend 20-30 dollars to rent or own a film, and that household can hold up to say 10 people all watching that film at the same time (average is a family of 4) and since its someones home you cant charge per individual like you can in a theater!

Ok fine. Huge movies like Avengers and films of those scale need theaters to profit.

Afterlife is a 85 to a 125 million dollar movie! Thats cheep compared to most major franchise films releasing today!

Afterlife can easly turn a profit on streaming if done right!

But they are so stubborn that its theaters or bust (pun intended) and yes i get the intent, i love going to the movies myself, but right now its not a viable option and wont be a profitable one for YEARS IF EVER AGAIN!

ALL studios have to except that fact! You do a theratical only release within the next year atleast, your bound to lose money!

Delaying what you have multiple times also hurts your bottom line too! People lose intrists and then even under the best conditions you open in theaters and no one shows up because they have been burned too many times with delays.

You watch, James Cameron's Avatar films due out at the end of NEXT YEAR will never make nearly as much as the first one did nearly 12 years ago. Its going to lose money no matter what he does!

Marvel is going to take a huge loss on all of its MCU films this year and all of those films cost way more then ghostbusters afterlife did!

Your just going to lose money on a film no matter what you do for atleast the next year! I say its better to stick to june, do a day and date release, get what you can from what theaters you open, charge people 30 bucks at home to OWN the film and make what you can for now and hold off on doing a sequel for a few years until the situation changes!
BatDan liked this
It was hard to decipher what you were saying at times with your spelling, but while you make some good points, it (at this time) still makes more sense to wait for a theatrical release.
Alphagaia liked this
What's really a shame is what impact all of the delays have had on a possible sequel to Afterlife. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I have been very optimistic that this film will be good enough and will earn well enough to justify continuing the franchise - I am sure that's something Sony is counting on as well. If the film had been released on time, they very well could have been in the early stages of writing another film right around now.

On the plus side, the kids will be older and a sequel will have less of a GB Jr./Stranger Things comparison, but if the story leaves an opening for any of the OG to return, the downside is that they will be even older. Personally, I would love to see them take an approach like the Rocky films have and give at least a couple of the OGs (Dan & Ernie) a mentorship role in future films and not just end their arcs with this film.

But with the older kids approaching late high school/college age, how fitting would it be if Afterlife ends (or a sequel picks up) with everyone returning to NYC, paving the way for the kids to attend Columbia University? Would be a nice tie into the original film.
deadderek, BatDan, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]