As reported by website IGN, Sony Pictures has announced that it will now be implementing a further delay to the release of Ghostbusters: Afterlife. The new tentative release date for the movie will be November 11, 2021.

With the current circumstances concerning the ongoing global impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, although this further delay is disappointing, the decision again is understandable.
The more I see of this project, the less optimistic I feel about it.

Just comparing Muncher to Slimer, I see much better scultping, detail and such. Of course I have not seen a final image but it doesn't look as scary or creepy as Slimer once did.

As for the re-re-re-reschedule, this has me baffled. At one point I was all for it back when it was a few months but now it's coming to the extend where I simply have lost any and all want to see it.

November? HA! Not even a glimmer of hope. It'll get re-scheduled to Summer 2022 without any shadow of a doubt. We're still neck deep in this pandemic and there's still no end in sight. November is yet another "to be further pushed back" date.

I recently told my Quebec Ghostbusters group that I would no longer be going to any screening and would soon dissociate myself because of too long a wait and because my expectations are starting to turn into doubts. Doubts that are very much confirmed with every new drop-fed images we get: this movie will play catch-up by re-hashing the original's plot points bit by bit.

If Sony wanted to seek a solution, they'd find one. As it stands, their stock isn't looking too great and this decision will most likely impact them in the upcoming future, possibly forcing them to take measures to show the movie elsewhere than cinemas.

Taking this pandemic into account, it's also a very safe assumption that 40-53% of the bigger chains will permanently shut down for good and we have to wonder how many will remain open for business.

I am now on the pessimistic side of things: they will further delay this and chances are a few older actors will have joined the other world. I have been waiting for the movie too long and for what I'm seeing, it's definitely made for other people than me.

Time for me to move on and stick to the original, the one, the only Ghostbusters. Dan Aykroyd's films are better without sequelling them anyway.
Esbe77 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:30 am The more I see of this project, the less optimistic I feel about it.

Just comparing Muncher to Slimer, I see much better scultping, detail and such. Of course I have not seen a final image but it doesn't look as scary or creepy as Slimer once did.

As for the re-re-re-reschedule, this has me baffled. At one point I was all for it back when it was a few months but now it's coming to the extend where I simply have lost any and all want to see it.

November? HA! Not even a glimmer of hope. It'll get re-scheduled to Summer 2022 without any shadow of a doubt. We're still neck deep in this pandemic and there's still no end in sight. November is yet another "to be further pushed back" date.

I recently told my Quebec Ghostbusters group that I would no longer be going to any screening and would soon dissociate myself because of too long a wait and because my expectations are starting to turn into doubts. Doubts that are very much confirmed with every new drop-fed images we get: this movie will play catch-up by re-hashing the original's plot points bit by bit.

If Sony wanted to seek a solution, they'd find one. As it stands, their stock isn't looking too great and this decision will most likely impact them in the upcoming future, possibly forcing them to take measures to show the movie elsewhere than cinemas.

Taking this pandemic into account, it's also a very safe assumption that 40-53% of the bigger chains will permanently shut down for good and we have to wonder how many will remain open for business.

I am now on the pessimistic side of things: they will further delay this and chances are a few older actors will have joined the other world. I have been waiting for the movie too long and for what I'm seeing, it's definitely made for other people than me.

Time for me to move on and stick to the original, the one, the only Ghostbusters. Dan Aykroyd's films are better without sequelling them anyway.
I agree. Sony is going to take a huge hit from this and it will most likely be pushed back again. To be honest I kinda wonder how the other people who worked on the movie feel?
Esbe77 liked this
I think most of them are bummed. First in line being Jason Reitman who most definitely worked his @$$ off to deliver a sequel most people would be happy with.

As for the cast, Murray may already be okay with whatever delay but the younger cast must start to feel like it's taking a LOT longer than expected.

As we all.
Yes because the entirety of the Sony stock is all dependent on one movie and not from anything else.

*eyeroll*
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
deadderek wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:11 am Yes because the entirety of the Sony stock is all dependent on one movie and not from anything else.

*eyeroll*
They're rescheduling most of their summer releases (Uncharted, Ghostbusters, Morbius, Peter Rabbit, and more, which definitely has a much bigger and major impact. If they rescheduled only one movie, that would barely have no consequence.
Sorry if I don't see too many angels and hear lovely trumpets but this is a dark time we're going through and further rescheduling of movies is like dangling a f#$%ing carrot in front of me. I don't thrive in that type of system.

I'd rather have them write "Indefinitely postponed till this blows over" than have dates after dates. At this point, it's becoming close to ludicrous speed.
I was going to post this over at the spoiler thread but...something seems to be going on over there and it’s locked for some reason.

Anyways Ok. Come on now. Enough is enough. Thousands of people are dying per day & we are over here bitching & moaning about a movie getting delayed 4 months.

A little perspective is never a bad thing. So chin up GBfans. It looks like this will be the last delay. And who knows, maybe things get better sooner & Sony moves it up. That does happen.

Everything I’ve heard says Sony is foaming at the mouth from the response the movie has gotten. Deadline Hollywood mentioned Sony is very high on the movie. I do wish they’d give us a trailer to tie us over, especially after Muncher has become a huge viral hit. They should strike now with a trailer while people are talking about it.
deadderek, Kingpin, robbritton and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:55 am I was going to post this over at the spoiler thread but...something seems to be going on over there and it’s locked for some reason.

Anyways Ok. Come on now. Enough is enough. Thousands of people are dying per day & we are over here bitching & moaning about a movie getting delayed 4 months.

A little perspective is never a bad thing. So chin up GBfans. It looks like this will be the last delay. And who knows, maybe things get better sooner & Sony moves it up. That does happen.

Everything I’ve heard says Sony is foaming at the mouth from the response the movie has gotten. Deadline Hollywood mentioned Sony is very high on the movie. I do wish they’d give us a trailer to tie us over, especially after Muncher has become a huge viral hit. They should strike now with a trailer while people are talking about it.
I invite you to post this over in the Afterlife thread, which is open again.* :)

*And I do apologise about that, one user went completely over the top with their frustration, and I had to temporarily lock the thread to tidy up what they'd been doing.
ogswiss wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:05 pm This is ridiculous. Sell it to a streaming provider and take care of ur fans during this crisis!!
This isn't rediculous. This is a pandemic that has claimed around 2.06 million lives globally.
Rvonvolen wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:57 pm I wish that they would just let us watch it from home or something, because at this point I'm tired of being strung along.
You're not being intentionally strung along, Sony clearly thought things would be more normal... But the projections and evidence are evidently telling a different story.
Rvonvolen wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:41 am I actually thought it looked good. I was excited for this because I've been watching these movies as long as I was alive. However at this point I've just given up. I'm also a bit pissed because I decided to make my first pack build based off of the afterlife pack.
I hope that your enthusiasm for it is regenerated, and your drive to get your first Pack build assembled is revitalized.
Esbe77 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:30 am The more I see of this project, the less optimistic I feel about it.
I understand the disappointment, but this can't be helped with the way things currently are with the pandemic. :(
Esbe77 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:30 amJust comparing Muncher to Slimer, I see much better scultping, detail and such. Of course I have not seen a final image but it doesn't look as scary or creepy as Slimer once did.
I wouldn't use the recent 3D prop as a final representation of the muncher, we've no idea what it's final colouring will look like... And then there's the fact it doesn't move.
Esbe77 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:30 amI recently told my Quebec Ghostbusters group that I would no longer be going to any screening and would soon dissociate myself because of too long a wait and because my expectations are starting to turn into doubts.
I'm genuinely sorry to read you feel that way. It seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face... And it's really not Sony or Jason's fault that the film's been delayed for them, it doesn't seem fair to punish yourself and them for something significantly beyond their control.
Esbe77 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:30 amIf Sony wanted to seek a solution, they'd find one.
Sometimes there is a no-win scenario. They can't well end the pandemic by themselves.
ogswiss wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:23 pmTake a loss like we all have and make many others happy as they have the power to do so.
That's not how businesses work. They're not going to take a loss on a movie that's likely going to be a blockbuster just because it would make some people happy. That's utter nonsense.
Kingpin, Alphagaia, Nighty80 liked this
They're a business, their whole model is to make money.
As Ghostbusters is one of their few legacy franchises, it is understandable they want the biggest return they can get on their investment. This is perfectly understandable.

Sony doesn't owe any of us an early release.

You might not like that, but that's the truth, ogswiss.
Let's not forget Ghost Corps previous movie didn't exactly gave them the return ontheir investment as they hoped it would, so that only ups the stakes on this new movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost Corps future in Sony Business Model is decided on how well this movie will do, so they need every dollar.
I can't believe the sense of entitlement shown by some. I'd been avoiding the spoilers thread (because, well, spoilers!), and am glad now for another reason... Thank you Kingpin for cleaning up the [topic] - shame you can't sort out the rest of the 'net!
Sure, it's frustrating - however there are far more important things to be deeply upset about in the world at the moment.
Besides, we've already waited ~33 years... will another few months here or there really make any difference?

Ultimately, if the delay of a film is the worst thing you've got to worry about in life then you're doing OK. Many others aren't. Maybe use some of that passion to make a positive difference to the world, instead of filling a place of escapism and enjoyment with self-entitled nonsense.
[/rant]
Nighty80 wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:43 am I can't believe the sense of entitlement shown by some. I'd been avoiding the spoilers thread (because, well, spoilers!), and am glad now for another reason... Thank you Kingpin for cleaning up the [topic] - shame you can't sort out the rest of the 'net!
Sure, it's frustrating - however there are far more important things to be deeply upset about in the world at the moment.
Besides, we've already waited ~33 years... will another few months here or there really make any difference?

Ultimately, if the delay of a film is the worst thing you've got to worry about in life then you're doing OK. Many others aren't. Maybe use some of that passion to make a positive difference to the world, instead of filling a place of escapism and enjoyment with self-entitled nonsense.
[/rant]
Ghostbusters: Afterlife getting delayed very much is a First World Problem. It's frustrating seeing so many people lose perspective whilst the pandemic still rages.
While I perfectly agree that complaining about the delay itself is a 1st World Problem, for many this news is the cherry of bad news on the cake of all that is miserable at the moment, and I feel the same way. I've read many articles why many who are safe in their jobs, with stable family/household situations and no personal losses still feel sad, fatigued or outright depressed. The fear of the unknown, the daily numbers that are hard to understand and assess for yourself, the mistrust in every person you meet for being a potential life-threatening danger to yourself and your loved ones...that's alot to handle. You need some beacon of hope, something in the future to look forward to. For a Ghostbusters fan, it is perfect that their goal and sign of normality is attending a screening of Afterlife with your friends, family or just on your own. So please, don't judge people for losing their perspective in such a generalized manner.
ogswiss wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:40 am Warner bros is doing it all year with major movies. I dont want to hear it!
Short of staying out of the Afterlife-related topics, you're likely to come across many fellow fans here that don't see streaming the movie as a viable alternative.
Alphagaia liked this
For all the money I’ve spent on the brand in my life and will continue to;all the money my parents spent and all the money my daughter will spend - they could make a very lucrative streaming deal and still be ok. Release it in theaters later and make up some too.
You received an item/items already for all that money you'd spent, as had your parents. As those services have already been rendered, Sony doesn't owe you a thing.

Streaming the movie before a theatrical release greatly increases the prospects of the movie being pirated, leading to a significant financial loss down the road.

In the aim of avoiding a duplication of the existing topic, I'll lock this one up and invite everyone to continue the discussion in the Ghostbusters: Afterlife discussion thread:)
Alphagaia liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]