Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Sayscalled
iam8114 wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:48 am
Sayscalled wrote: September 6th, 2020, 8:51 pm Regarding the Year One TPB, is it still scheduled to be released? I know it was taken off Amazon, but I preordered it well before the pandemic. I just want to know if I should still expect it...or expect a refund? Any info would be great. Thanks!
If you preordered it from Amazon you won't pay for it until it ships. Just fyi.
Money ain't an issue. I just want to know if I'll be getting what I ordered, or not.
By mrmichaelt
9/10: ^Coincidentally, Diamond just updated the page today with pushing the release date from October 7 to October 14. So tiny progress.

9/16: And Diamond pushed the Year One TPB back another week to October 21.

9/23: Yep, Year One TPB pushed another week to October 28...

Erik Burnham has been teasing his upcoming work but hasn't identified what it is but worth noting here I suppose:

9/22:https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 3748352005

"Revising and finishing #1 of a secret project... ...And then right on to the outline for a new miniseries... I think one or both will be announced soon? Time has no meaning."

9/23:https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 1930394625

"Just reread a script after I turned it in to my editor. ...I saw things I wanted to change. (I always do.) But the last page... I'm so pleased with it. Can't wait to see it come to life."

9/24: December solicits were posted. No Ghostbusters. So the Year One TPB will be the last release of the year.

9/30: Year One TPB pushed to November 4. :(

10/2: And now completely removed from the Diamond website. :(:(
Last edited by Kingpin on October 8th, 2020, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.D wrote:Bummer. I really hope they announce that they are working on something else, these comics have been a cornerstone for this community for a long time now. We're lucky to have such talented folks behind the scenes keeping the flam alive.
During Siouxpercon's virtual event this past weekend, Erik Burnham commented he has not written any Ghostbusters comics since 2019. He followed up today and said he "Finished scripting Year One before New Years, yep. And then with Covid." I'll have to listen to the whole video if there's anything else.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 9325010944

EDIT: You have to register for free on the site to watch anything. And this video is on the site until October 31.
https://siouxperconline.com/schedule/er ... sentation/

Okay, so about 12 minutes in, Erik mentioned a few things:
-There were no conflicts with Afterlife and Erik never got objections from Jason Reitman and Ghost Corps as he wrote Year One

-Erik did get a few tidbits about Afterlife when he wrote Year One but not enough to understand what they meant because he didn't have context.

-Not aware of any Afterlife adaptation comic being made

-Not doing any comics until they are closer to the release date of Afterlife

-Not sure if Sony/Ghost Corps will restrict comics until after Afterlife comes out on 4K/Blu-ray/Digital or if he will keep on trucking with more GB comics

-He hasn't pitched the next arc/mini-series because he has to wait to be able to.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 9042840580
zeta otaku wrote:Not the news I wanted, but I completely understand. I REALLY hope we get more GB comics :D
Oh I am getting the feeling that Afterlife will definately open more doors for the comics to continue. I mean after the 2009 Video Game we got the series of one shots and in 2 years time we got the ongoing series that had 3 wonderful volumes and some epic crossovers I never thought possible during the 11 years of publication. God knows what will follow Afterlife. I know I have said this before, but I think it would be awesome if the current ongoing comic continued and maybe get some comic spin offs like a comic series set with the Chicago branch or any comic series following the likes of other teams in the GB multiverse like RGB, EGB, and ATC. I am sure they would have to assign a different team to any of the spin offs because Dan, Eric, Louis, and Tom have got their hands full with the current comic and I wouldn't want them burned out.

Again who knows what will happen post Afterlife especially if the movie hits the right cordes. :):):)
By Kingpin
Bison256 wrote: October 9th, 2020, 11:04 am If there are no more comics until after afterlifes release then that means they're definitely integrating it into the comic canon.
That's a possibility, but not a certainty. Tying the plot of Afterlife fixes the future of the comic, restricting some potential storylines or character details.
By Bison256
Kingpin wrote: October 9th, 2020, 12:42 pm
Bison256 wrote: October 9th, 2020, 11:04 am If there are no more comics until after afterlifes release then that means they're definitely integrating it into the comic canon.
That's a possibility, but not a certainty. Tying the plot of Afterlife fixes the future of the comic, restricting some potential storylines or character details.
I'm guessing integrated neans alternate future parallel universe. Unless they pull a giant retcon.
One other thing to consider about the hiatus as Erik points out, is it could be an example of how some studios can get conservative about their i.p. and don't want multiple titles in different mediums out at the same time because of whatever marketing theory that it muddles attention to the big movie.
Kingpin, *NormalGamer* liked this
By Dr.D
I think given the amount of growth within the universe the comics has show makes it hard to tie them into the same continuity as the movies now. No matter what the story of GB:A ends up really being, it's obvious the Ghostbusters weren't very active after the events of GB2. Trying to tie the comics to the movie would chop off their legs at the foot.
*NormalGamer* liked this
Dr.D wrote:I think given the amount of growth within the universe the comics has show makes it hard to tie them into the same continuity as the movies now. No matter what the story of GB:A ends up really being, it's obvious the Ghostbusters weren't very active after the events of GB2. Trying to tie the comics to the movie would chop off their legs at the foot.
Yeah, I always had a little gripe about them calling their universe Earth-Prime. It would be funny if they found out they weren't and discovered the original prime universe (the movie canon).

And on a side-note, it was announced today Erik Burnham is writing a new Transformers: Beast Wars series for IDW and it starts February.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ng-in-2021
zeta otaku wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:52 pm Not the news I wanted, but I completely understand. I REALLY hope we get more GB comics :D
Same. I'm really starving for some more worldbuilding and self-contained GB stories again.
philmorgan81 wrote:
zeta otaku wrote:Not the news I wanted, but I completely understand. I REALLY hope we get more GB comics :D
Oh I am getting the feeling that Afterlife will definately open more doors for the comics to continue. I mean after the 2009 Video Game we got the series of one shots and in 2 years time we got the ongoing series that had 3 wonderful volumes and some epic crossovers I never thought possible during the 11 years of publication. God knows what will follow Afterlife. I know I have said this before, but I think it would be awesome if the current ongoing comic continued and maybe get some comic spin offs like a comic series set with the Chicago branch or any comic series following the likes of other teams in the GB multiverse like RGB, EGB, and ATC. I am sure they would have to assign a different team to any of the spin offs because Dan, Eric, Louis, and Tom have got their hands full with the current comic and I wouldn't want them burned out.

Again who knows what will happen post Afterlife especially if the movie hits the right cordes. :):):)
@ *referring to bold*

This what i'm really hoping for; especially if they're miniseries/maxiseries (which I believe will be a good fit for GB stories; doesn't have to be a traditional ongoing).

Bison256 wrote:
Kingpin wrote: October 9th, 2020, 12:42 pm

I'm guessing integrated neans alternate future parallel universe. Unless they pull a giant retcon.
As I said earlier in the Afterlife thread, i'm more satisfied with the former happening in the IDW GB continuity; the IDW canon is already it's own thing, anyway.
Dr.D wrote:I think given the amount of growth within the universe the comics has show makes it hard to tie them into the same continuity as the movies now. No matter what the story of GB:A ends up really being, it's obvious the Ghostbusters weren't very active after the events of GB2. Trying to tie the comics to the movie would chop off their legs at the foot.
@ *referring to bold*

Yes, I have to agree with this. At least for the movie continuity, anyway. Wouldn't make sense to connect them together since the Movie Canon and IDW canon are entirely separate worlds.
mrmichaelt liked this
On Ghostbusters Interdimensional Crossrip Episode 643, 1:14:06-1:14:18, Dan Milano revealed he wrote the forward for the Year One TPB. (He tried to get Erik Burnham to write on Glitch Techs, they met at a forum for The Board Game, Burnham even did a walk through during production of Glitch Techs)
http://www.ghostbustershq.net/the-ghost ... ber-9-2020
robbritton liked this
Pre-ordered the Year One collection from two different outlets in the UK and both have been cancelled... not postponed, just completely cancelled. Hmmmm.

I skipped Ectotron the first time round, but the inclusion of Muncher plus the extra facial detail with the goggles down - looks like the superior version to me. +1.
By zeta otaku
Hang on, I'm doing a thing I NEVER wanted to do...

WELL ACTUALLY!!!!

Ew... ew... I feel dirty...

OKAY! Right, so... the head is different. Like, the differences are MINISCULE, but it's there. In the original, the goggles are up JUST above the eyes. You can see the baby blues under the goggles. The new one, the goggles are pulled down over them completely and there's some new detail kibble above the right eye. On top of that, the goggles are molded differently as is Ectotron's faceplate.
By mrmichaelt
Since the PR for it implied 2021 would have new releases, plural, I would guess there's at least one more release in store. If it's a new character, I would guess Ectotron does discover the sparks/ghosts of other Transformers in space and that somehow will be a lead-in to a sequel mini-series. Or maybe a rusty Optimus Prime...
mrmichaelt wrote:Here's an interview with Erik Burnham about the Transformers/Ghostbusters mini-series.
https://jemurr.wordpress.com/2020/11/25 ... k-burnham/
hey thank you very much! I hope you all enjoyed the interview. I also did a review of the story itself which is linked on my blog as well. I really enjoyed the story a lot and hope they make more!
mrmichaelt liked this
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm On a side note, if you're fans of Erik, Dan, and Luis and want to support their next endeavor together, today it was announced IDW has the Godzilla license and the trio will work on a 5 issue mini-series starting in April.
https://www.cbr.com/godzilla-idw-licensing/
I'm getting a serious '80s/'90s Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe off of that promo artwork.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]