By venkman69
Hey all!

Thought I'd start posting pictures of my journey to create an Ecto.

I built a pack a couple of years back and really enjoyed documenting the process. Since then I've built a Jurassic Park Jeep, but Ghostbusters has always been my favourite film since I first saw it all that time ago.

As mentioned in my previous builds, I'm a teacher, a husband and a father, so don't have loads of time on my hands. But thought it would be nice to plot as I go on this mamouth journey!

The first port of call is to accumulate everything to go on the car, including fabricating everything for the roof rack.
No car yet, but a lot of odds and ends picked up along the way since the start and a whole lot of spirit! I do love a good treasure hunt! Once everything has been acquired, I will fund a purchase by selling the Jeep.

Hope this is interesting and maybe even helpful towards your own builds.

Aus
Slimer87, robandliv liked this
By venkman69
The first part I thought I'd tackle was to make the fan box.

I'm very lucky in that my cousin's husband works in the metal industry, so can either make or get stuff made. I shot him over some dims that I found from a post on a Facebook group called Ecto 1 builders taken by videobob

He was able to make the box up for me.

We are making up some separate louvre plates for the 2 sides.

Next I found a great donar fan on eBay for £3. I stripped it and cut the fan blades to match. It came with a good size condenser motor, that although it's not 100%, it's close enough with a few modifications!

Here's some pics of where I'm at with it. ImageImageImage
By NotSabbat
Awesome to see an Ecto-1 build and I look forward to seeing it develop. I will bring up that videobob is basically though of as a crook and a stain on the GB community around here. There are plenty of threads about why on the forum. It does make me question the accuracy of his Ecto-1 info, but I have no experience with vehicle builds, so I dont know.

Also; I LOVE the JP Jeep!
By venkman69
NotSabbat wrote:Awesome to see an Ecto-1 build and I look forward to seeing it develop. I will bring up that videobob is basically though of as a crook and a stain on the GB community around here. There are plenty of threads about why on the forum. It does make me question the accuracy of his Ecto-1 info, but I have no experience with vehicle builds, so I dont know.

Also; I LOVE the JP Jeep!
Hey dude!

Yep, I've heard that about him from quite a few of people, but I always like to give my sources regardless of where they come from. The post was a load of photo measurements that he took when he went over the Sony car, so it's quite handy for those 'rough' estimates!! Lol

This will be a long process like any Ecto build, but I'm passionate about it!

Thanks for the the kind comment about the jeep! Like to give a bit of a back story!!

Aus
NotSabbat liked this
By venkman69
Finished fan. Love the trim and snap method! Soooo good. Then a little sanding here and there and a pretty good likeness I believe.Image
By Macktacular
Good luck on the project, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress.
By venkman69
Been busy collecting bits and bobs recently which I'll post up soon. With self-isolating going on, I've been able to get into a few project for the rack. I've tackled the side tube. Getting a square cut was really tricky. I tried a few different methods, but ended up with putting some paper around it to get a straight line, then using a hand saw. Much better than any of the other ways. I cut the plugs out of wood and made up some handles from some sheet I had kicking about. Made a template first to check it all looked right. Ready for painting now!ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ccv66 liked this
By venkman69
Also started work in the rear dish. Got an arrow made up by my cousin's husband Mark. He is an absolute legend on this project!! He's working on the fan box louvres also! Image
Kingpin liked this
By venkman69
Pretty much finished the rear dish apart from the checkered tape. Tried some but it was too thick. So I'm back to the drawing board. Think I'll leave that until later in the build. Accurate spindle also!ImageImageImage
Kingpin liked this
By venkman69
ccv66 wrote:What did you use for the dish dome?
I got it made up from a plastics company up country. Sent them the dims of what I needed then they customs made it.
ccv66 liked this
By venkman69
That place looks like the same kind of place I got mine. I'm in the UK, so would be really expensive to ship. This place might even halve it for you like the place over here did.
By venkman69
Been working on the radome over the last month. This was a 3d print file that I found online and got Mark to print for me. I sanded it then added some filler. After this, I went up through the grades of sand paper to get it nice and smooth. Added a couple of brackets underneath to attach it to the plate. Screws in the side I know aren't there on the original, but it was welded we can't do with the 3d print. Then used some plastikote gloss white spray. Have it loads of coats to make it nice and strong. Drew on some guide lines using the same method as the long side tube. Wrap a large piece of paper round it to give you a nice straight line. I then used 1inch red electric tape. First attempt didn't work when I pealed it off and had to resand it and respray. But came up good in the end. Going to lacquer it to give it a nice polished finished. Really happy with how it turned out! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dyfea liked this
By roopjm
venkman69 wrote:For context - Here is the pack, Jeep and my current feeling...ImageImageImage
Hey that's my groups ecto! Love that meme!
By venkman69
roopjm wrote:
venkman69 wrote:For context - Here is the pack, Jeep and my current feeling...ImageImageImage
Hey that's my groups ecto! Love that meme!
Dude, saw it and I thought - yep! That sums everything up!!
By Slimer87
I REALLY want to get a roof rack (doesn't even have to be movie accurate) for my Nissan Rogue. How did you go about with yours? Do you have a blueprint?
By RealGhostbusterJay
Well if the Jeep wasn't a standard and there was a way to get it where we live in Canada I'm sure my wife would love to buy the Jeep.
By venkman69
Can always ship it!! Lol
By RealGhostbusterJay
Fair...but she still can't drive a stick hah. Ya ever market making ecto parts though...I know a ton of of owners on the FB group would love em.
venkman69 liked this
By DeLoreanDMC81
I'm excited to seehow your build comes along. I, too, am building an Ecto.

Did you ever get the vents made for your fan box? I'd love to see how those turned out.

I'd love to ask your cousins husband and see if he would be able to make the arrow for me. That's another piece I need to have done.

Best wishes!

James
By venkman69
Hey James! Awesome news!
Yes got the boxes done. I'll include a pic below!
Yes, sure we could do an arrow!
Hit me up on Facebook and I can help you.
Austyn Brown
Thanks dude.
Austyn.
By venkman69
Here are some pics of some of the bits I've been working on lately. I've always used Tapatalk to upload stuff, hence why I haven't uploaded anything for a while. AJ has redone some bits of the website to make it easier! Thanks dude!!!
Here is my fan box with vents to stay with...
By venkman69
Been working on my TI crossover box. This has take a lot of work with working out the measurements as there isn't much out there at all!!

I've looked at a whole bunch of photos and just tried to work out the distance from point to point.
By venkman69
Thanks buddy! Appreciate that from a master builder like yourself! 🙂
By venkman69
So much has been going on with the Ecto. I still find GBfans really clunky to post progress shots etc on. So if you'd like to see the car and follow the progress, please look out for Ecto1GB on either Instagram or Facebook.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]