Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
robbritton wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:18 am
Fritz wrote: July 20th, 2020, 9:57 am

It would have been neat, yeah. In a pinch, though, it can be explained by saying the RGB timeline for "Crossing Over" hadn't made it up to "I Am The City" yet.
IDW plays pretty fast and loose with the RGB timeline. What appeared to be Makoveris Lotsabucks had apparently leaked from their containment unit to the prime universe sometime before the events of Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster!

That is true. The entity looks a lot like the Makoveris Lotsabucks however I don’t think it was. She is a lot smaller for one thing. I think the way she looks is just an Easter egg. ;)

I was a bit curious of what point in the RGB timeline do the events International, The Annual and Crossing Over Events take place. If I had to hazard a guess it is just anywhere within the syndicated second season given the classic character designs. In the long haul though it doesn’t really matter. The IDW crew have really delivered a wonderful run. I am really looking forward to seeing more from them with the potential success of Afterlife. I know many here may be burnt out on crossover and the big events, but I am looking forward to more. ;)

Actually I am hoping to see a nice build up to the next crossover or Mega Event if they are proceeding with more comics. You can look at Crossing Over as the end of one Phase and Year One as the beginning of another.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I am not sure if what I mentioned in the spoiler tag is related to what we may see in Afterlife or if they are sewing seeds to the next big event in the comics. Either way I am really looking forward to it. :):):)
robbritton liked this
Bison256 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 7:00 am You're forgetting that Tiamat showed on the real ghostbusters in I am the City. It's odd that when the animated ghostbusters fought Tiamat in crossing over, they did not recognize the name. IDW missed the opportunity to do some canon welding.
I only listed entities that stated they had a direct tie to Gozer. In I Am The City, there was no connection and the more traditional rivalry between Marduk and Tiamat was the main story.
robbritton liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: July 19th, 2020, 3:38 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 19th, 2020, 3:32 pm We know we are getting Terror Dogs
We know we are getting Gozer
We Know Shandor is involved
We know Stay Puft is in it the movie
Slimer is going to be in this movie(I don’t have any inside info there, but come on) and even if he’s not
Slimer 2.0 AKA Muncher is going to be in this movie

That’s a lot of ground that’s already been covered in previous movies. My least favourite part of the reboot is Gozer/Shandor being involved. It makes the GB universe seem much smaller since, unlike the cartoons, major paranormal events don’t happen every week.

Now if they expand the mythology to say Gozer was but a single God in a hierarchy of god like beings and now this new movie is going to uncover the granddaddy of all ancient Sumerian Gods...then ok. Then we are cooking.

Maybe something like Gozer was the East Coast God Destroyer of the New World. Unnamed God is West Coast God of the New World. Etc etc. But just having Gozer again is lame.
To be fair, the Ghostbusters didn't see their first ghost until they were professors and Gozer started his return. Then the Ghostbusters were out of business until GB2 when Vigo started his return. It seems like these "ghosts" don't manifest unless there's a God-like entity about emerge.
Ray was present at an undersea, unexplained mass sponge migration.

And let’s not forget about that flower cart that rolled half a kilometre in front of 300 eye witnesses.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: July 19th, 2020, 10:39 pm
The comics covered this with the coming of Tiamat, a reptilian being, Gozers sister/adversary that's also used by another script writer as a dragon as big as the Planet.

Either way, from the looks of it they will reimagine that comic, the Videogame or go somewhere in-between with Gozer more on the forefront instead of less.

Or they are just Easter Eggs and something else is responsible for all of this. Who knows.
Long before they connected Tiamat to Gozer as siblings even. Going further back in the Marvel's RGB '90 annual, there was Gozo, the son of Gozer. In 2008, in Tokyo Pop's Ghost Busted manga, there was Heel, the Sumerian god of deception and preferred concubine of Gozer. In 2009, with the Displaced Aggression mini-series, they introduced the father of Gozer (and Tiamat), Koza'Rai. Then in 2012, in the ongoing, Tristan Jones introduced the idea an extended Gozerian pantheon exists and was depicted in the Gozerian Codex but only introduced one other progeny of Koza'rai named Senta who has come up sparingly in the comics so far.

But yes, I do like the notion of an extended pantheon over another appearance of Gozer. Where these gods dwell, time is irrelevant or as Vigo would say, a window. Intrigued by word of Gozer's defeat, they find a way to cross onto dimensions to Earth and to test the mettle of the Ghostbusters -- but they arrive in 2020? I don't know. They do manage to close the portal before they cross over but not cleanly, and the original team decides they have to train someone to carry on for them when they really do come again? Hm.

It is interesting that to toys or toy fair hasn't spoiled outright who the final baddie will be like they did with Rowan, for example, years ago.
A while ago I had read somewhere that Terminal Reality included a mention of Gozer's protracted war with Tiamat to set the stage for a sequel to GB:TVG where Tiamat is the villain.
JonXCTrack wrote: July 21st, 2020, 8:24 am A while ago I had read somewhere that Terminal Reality included a mention of Gozer's protracted war with Tiamat to set the stage for a sequel to GB:TVG where Tiamat is the villain.
True, there were displays in the Natural History Museum you can have Rookie interact with and parts of this backstory would be played and all together tell the tale of Gozer and Tiamat. I don't recall Tiamat being a sequel idea. Was that revealed at Fan Fest?
GBPaulRivera liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 21st, 2020, 4:33 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: July 21st, 2020, 8:24 am A while ago I had read somewhere that Terminal Reality included a mention of Gozer's protracted war with Tiamat to set the stage for a sequel to GB:TVG where Tiamat is the villain.
True, there were displays in the Natural History Museum you can have Rookie interact with and parts of this backstory would be played and all together tell the tale of Gozer and Tiamat. I don't recall Tiamat being a sequel idea. Was that revealed at Fan Fest?
INTENSELY SHAKING EYES EMOJI
That sounds heckin cool, I'd love to see the presence of Tiamat in a game or movie. If Terminal Reality didn't go into bankruptcy, I think we could've seen a game sequel instead of a remaster. Seeing a new AMA (ask me anything) from the game's lead developers on here or Reddit would be perfect to confirm the Tiamat plans.
GBPaulRivera liked this
Ghostytheghost wrote: July 21st, 2020, 5:41 pm That sounds heckin cool, I'd love to see the presence of Tiamat in a game or movie. If Terminal Reality didn't go into bankruptcy, I think we could've seen a game sequel instead of a remaster. Seeing a new AMA (ask me anything) from the game's lead developers on here or Reddit would be perfect to confirm the Tiamat plans.
There was some really early work on a sequel with Harold and Dan. I think Dan made a list of new characters, descriptions and who he wanted to voice them. A synopsis and design document was done. A few level concepts and ideas were scripted. From what I remember it was either a new team in a new city with Ray as a mentor or multiple franchise teams come to New York to save the original team. There was even a synopsis for a third game. But Atari just wasn't interested. That I remember from the Fan Fest panel.

But I digress. There's a thread for it in the Video Game section somewhere:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45909
GBPaulRivera liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:
I'm not sure where I read that. I didn't go to fanfest, but perhaps someone I know on Facebook did and shared that information. I'm sorry, I just can't remember. But it makes sense that they'd use Tiamat as the villain. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of introducing Tiamat in the Museum level?
mrmichaelt liked this
I'm hoping the sunsetting of Ghostbusters world doesn't discourage the development of future games. Pokemon Go was just more popular.

It's been a hell of a long time since we've had a decent one, much less a sequel to to the evil dead games put out by Cranky pants.

Yes, that's an actual game company and not a bowel movement.
timeware wrote:I'm hoping the sunsetting of Ghostbusters world doesn't discourage the development of future games. Pokemon Go was just more popular.

It's been a hell of a long time since we've had a decent one, much less a sequel to to the evil dead games put out by Cranky pants.

It will be interesting to see if Afterlife disregards the events in GB:TVG. I suspect that it will, just because there appears to be a recurring theme here (the return of Gozer/Shandor). If that's the case, then a sequel to GB:TVG is unlikely. Instead we're more likely to get a game based upon Afterlife. Generally speaking, games based upon movies don't do that well. If there is a new game, I just want it to be good. The one thing that I didn't like about GB:TVG was that you couldn't play the story mode with your friends. That would have been cool.
JonXCTrack wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm
timeware wrote:I'm hoping the sunsetting of Ghostbusters world doesn't discourage the development of future games. Pokemon Go was just more popular.

It will be interesting to see if Afterlife disregards the events in GB:TVG. I suspect that it will, just because there appears to be a recurring theme here (the return of Gozer/Shandor). If that's the case, then a sequel to GB:TVG is unlikely. Instead we're more likely to get a game based upon Afterlife. Generally speaking, games based upon movies don't do that well. If there is a new game, I just want it to be good. The one thing that I didn't like about GB:TVG was that you couldn't play the story mode with your friends. That would have been cool.
Best we can hope for is that afterlife doesn't contradict the video game.
deadderek liked this
Bison256 wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 4:22 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm

Best we can hope for is that afterlife doesn't contradict the video game.
I've wondered about this. Aren't there people at Ghost Corps whose sole responsibility is the canon? GB has such a broad stroke of interesting/cool output besides the first movie that it would be personally disappointing if they don't use any of it in Afterlife. I mean, considering that a good chunk of the younger audience going into this movie doesn't even know the original movie that well, why stop there?
pizzarat wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 10:21 pm I've wondered about this. Aren't there people at Ghost Corps whose sole responsibility is the canon? GB has such a broad stroke of interesting/cool output besides the first movie that it would be personally disappointing if they don't use any of it in Afterlife. I mean, considering that a good chunk of the younger audience going into this movie doesn't even know the original movie that well, why stop there?
Yes, among other things. They are well aware of the canon, The Video Game, and the infamous Ivan Reitman misquote.
pizzarat liked this
Yes, in July 2017, Ivan Reitman was asked if he considered Ghostbusters: The Video Game to be the third movie. He replied he didn't, not knowing how his answer would be twisted. He was of course being literal and didn't consider a game to be a movie. But that answer was summarized as 'it's not canon' for the unsavory desire to have a clickbait upload on YouTube and wherever. I alluded to it when I spoke to Eric Reich early last year and he knew exactly what I was talking about and we both sighed. It's amazing to this day how that misquote still circulates around. The power of disinformation I guess.
Honestly the video game's story mostly was a contrivance to revisit and recreate the iconic locations and scenes. If I recall this was a limition placed on the devs by Sony. Some of them post here so maybe can confirm that. Oddly despite being based on the movies I swear the chacters act more like their animated counter parts, expect Ray, I love Frank Welker but no can do technobabel like aykroyd. That aside some one should ask Jason and Gil if ever they ever played the game. If they did they might have tired to avoid contradicting it too much.
pizzarat liked this
Misquotes are big thing in communities I'm afraid.

Ow, the days from the Sony Leak were the worst when people were going from half conversations to find any dirt about ATC... ugh.

For instance: I do remember articles saying Reitman wasn't a fan of the story of the videogame, but that's the thing. Am I remembering correct? Or did my mind alter the memory to fit my own reasoning?
Alphagaia wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:18 am Misquotes are big thing in communities I'm afraid.

Ow, the days from the Sony Leak were the worst when people were going from half conversations to find any dirt about ATC... ugh.

For instance: I do remember articles saying Reitman wasn't a fan of the story of the videogame, but that's the thing. Am I remembering correct? Or did my mind alter the memory to fit my own reasoning?
Are you thinking of this? https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arc ... -game.aspx
Alphagaia liked this
Bison256 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:26 am
Alphagaia wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:18 am Misquotes are big thing in communities I'm afraid.

Are you thinking of this? https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arc ... -game.aspx
That's the one!
“I was very thankful for it,” Reitman says. “It wasn’t as good as I had hoped, though. I know a lot of people like it a lot. I’m not a big gamer, so I’m the wrong guy to critique it. It just didn’t seem lively enough, but I thought it was good for the same reason I helped found Ghost Corps [production company]. I think it’s a great and worthwhile story to be able to continue.”
Michael Scott wrote:Bill and Ted 3 is opening in September simultaneously in theaters willing to play it and on premium video on demand.

Not saying Afterlife will do the same, but now there is precedent. A lot can change in the 6 months between the releases of these movies.
I think Sony should release it in theaters in October, including drive-ins. After a month, then release it digitally. I don't have a lot of faith that anything is going to be better by March 2021. Even if Covid subsides, a lot of theaters are going belly up. AMC might not reopen at all. And March would likely be too cold/rainy for the northern parts of the US and Canada to have the movie shown at a drive-in.
groschopf, SpaceBallz liked this
I agree, it would've made more sense to launch in October for Halloween at $20 rental and accept the take is going to be lower.

Then attempt a full cinema run when things open up. Which at this point could be 2022 or 2023.

But Sony and Ghost Corp needed this to be a huge hit so anything less threatens the future of the franchise. It's a tough call.
Never say never. Anything can happen.

With vaccines ending testing trials, a readily vaccine available by September or October people are going to be eager to have normalcy back.

The options still open for date changes. I'm still at fifty percent thinking we can see it at the end of the year, or at least by January, maybe February.

Even if we have normalcy back by November I'm still playing it safe. I'll see it theatres after I've had the vaccine. In gear and with a Ghostbusters mask probably.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]