Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
This is from page 176 of The Making Of Ghostbusters one of the greatest sources of Ghostbusters behind-the-scenes info.

The caption just reads a Bernie Wrightson concept of the gateway.

But I'm wondering if this was to represent or show what world/dimension Gozer was in before it got called to our world. The place in the drawing looks really destroyed, lava, rubble, etc. A fantastic looking gate and some character walking towards it.

Ive heard about most facts from the movie, but this storyboard I hadnt seen. Very intriguing.
I still find it to be very interesting. Maybe that was an idea early on of getting a glimpse at what Gozer was seeing before walking through the gateway.

Also interesting to notice there is a rock statue idol, seems to be a female with large wings and three lizard like toes.

I was watching Cleaning Up The Town GB documentary and in the earlier part of the doc, there are other storyboards of this gate. Looks like a cavern area.

Since there isn't any mention of the script of the Ghostbusters at a cavernous area, it probably means the other sketches and concept art showing the gate is probably meant to reflect what Gozer sees before entering into our world.
I would guess it's an early concept of what Dana sees in her refrigerator. This concept in particular perhaps explored what if the kitchen overall experienced a temporary spatial convergence with the Gozerian dimension and Dana walks around briefly before the Terror Dog and "Zuul!" scream then it dissipates and she's back in her kitchen. But in the end, they opted for her remotely viewing the dimension, the Temple of Gozer, the stairs, and the atmospheric disturbance around it before she slams her refrigerator door shut and leaves for 2 days.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 8th, 2020, 6:34 pm I would guess it's an early concept of what Dana sees in her refrigerator. This concept in particular perhaps explored what if the kitchen overall experienced a temporary spatial convergence with the Gozerian dimension and Dana walks around briefly before the Terror Dog and "Zuul!" scream then it dissipates and she's back in her kitchen. But in the end, they opted for her remotely viewing the dimension, the Temple of Gozer, the stairs, and the atmospheric disturbance around it before she slams her refrigerator door shut and leaves for 2 days.
Pretty much this. These illustrations were concepts for what Dana would be seeing inside of her fridge, prior to the rooftop temple idea. I'm guessing this was in the June 83 script draft, which hasn't surfaced. My guess is that the scene plays out like Michael mentioned above. :-)
mrmichaelt liked this
d_osborn wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:46 pm Pretty much this. These illustrations were concepts for what Dana would be seeing inside of her fridge, prior to the rooftop temple idea. I'm guessing this was in the June 83 script draft, which hasn't surfaced. My guess is that the scene plays out like Michael mentioned above. :-)
Perhaps, but could be the July 83 draft. I recall on page 24, it's described as Dana seeing a "gate to hell." I think so. Reitman saw Frank Price in May 83, Gross probably hired the concept artists in June if not right away in May. Hmm. Yeah, I'd guess July. But yeah, wish a copy of that June draft would pop up already.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

mrmichaelt wrote: July 10th, 2020, 2:27 am
d_osborn wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:46 pm Pretty much this. These illustrations were concepts for what Dana would be seeing inside of her fridge, prior to the rooftop temple idea. I'm guessing this was in the June 83 script draft, which hasn't surfaced. My guess is that the scene plays out like Michael mentioned above. :-)
Perhaps, but could be the July 83 draft. I recall on page 24, it's described as Dana seeing a "gate to hell." I think so. Reitman saw Frank Price in May 83, Gross probably hired the concept artists in June if not right away in May. Hmm. Yeah, I'd guess July. But yeah, wish a copy of that June draft would pop up already.
Good catch on the "gate to hell"!

I have concept art dated June 83, so I wouldn't be shocked if Michael Gross was commissioning artists in late-May.

Here's another Wrightson concept for the "gate to hell". The original art is listed on eBay for a ultra-low cost of $4,999!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghosbusters-Mo ... Sw7bZd6v98
mrmichaelt liked this
i wanna see those john decuir concepts of the gear! i know stephen dane did the packs and all, but i know for a fact and it shows up in a lot of bts and in the making ghostbusters doc from '84 that they did some concept drawings. it looks closer to a firefighter uniform as the ghostbusters are drawn with helmets and flip down visors and the proton packs look like lawnmower engines.
GozerHadACoolDesign wrote: July 8th, 2020, 12:08 am This is from page 176 of The Making Of Ghostbusters one of the greatest sources of Ghostbusters behind-the-scenes info.

The caption just reads a Bernie Wrightson concept of the gateway.

But I'm wondering if this was to represent or show what world/dimension Gozer was in before it got called to our world. The place in the drawing looks really destroyed, lava, rubble, etc. A fantastic looking gate and some character walking towards it.

Ive heard about most facts from the movie, but this storyboard I hadnt seen. Very intriguing.
Awesome. I love these deep dives into the lore.

This could well be what concept artists imagined Gozer's world being like before he came to Manhattan.

But with Gozer being listed as Sumerian it would have been cool to include elements of Sumerian styling, Sumerian motifs and religion, etc.

The Sumerians invented the sailboat, the chariot, the wheel, the plow, and metalurgy. They developed cuneiform, the first written language. They invented games like checkers. They made cylinder seals that acted as a form of identification (used to sign legal documents like contracts.) They told stories about the first super hero (Gilgamesh), and invented many tools and implements to help with building and farming like hammers and kilns to bake bricks and pottery. They invented and used a system of math based on the number 60. Today we still divide an hour into 60 minutes, and put 360 degrees into a circle. Amazingly enough, we still use some Sumerian words today, words like crocus, which is a flower, and saffron which is both a color and a spice.

I'd love if GB would focus on the details of the first civilization. Which are objectively known.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]