Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I'm not as convinced as many others seem to be that we'll see anyone other than the new characters strapping on a proton pack for the first time in this movie. No doubt people like it, especially here, but I do think the general consensus is that Louis putting on the pack in II is one of those not-so-good jokes that mostly exists to extend the screen time of a character whose presence in the movie is already a stretch (and probably the kind of material that Moranis was thinking of if he was skeptical about Afterlife).

I think Janine turning out to be the grandmother makes the most sense in terms of getting her in the film, the only question would be (again) why she didn't convey this information to Callie and Phoebe. Maybe Callie is estranged from her mom for some reason.
RichRyan1507 liked this
timeware wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 9:17 am Anyone think that for quick scenes old or upgraded equipment might not be a hundred percent accurate or put together quickly?
Phoebe's pack has a little bit of this going on. Especially the gun hose.
droidguy1119 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 11:53 am I think Janine turning out to be the grandmother makes the most sense in terms of getting her in the film, the only question would be (again) why she didn't convey this information to Callie and Phoebe. Maybe Callie is estranged from her mom for some reason.
My only thing with Janine being the grandmother is that would make Callie a maximum of about 35, meaning she'd have to have had Trevor between the ages of 18-20? Which is not impossible, but I feel like Carrie Coon is meant to playing a little older than she is is real life. Early to mid 40s.

There's also the fact that if Janine truly is the grandmother, I think that definitely wipes GB2 from continuity. Which, if it is, that's fine. But if it IS still part of the continuity, then that makes it even harder to swallow that Egon and Janine had a kid together.

The most logical thing to me is that Egon simply had a family prior to the original film that we never heard about. It's not that far fetched given we know almost zero about the family/personal lives of the other guys as well (and I mean strictly the films. Cartoons/comics/game are great, but not canon. I don't think Sony is counting them either).

But, we're probably all wrong :lol:
droidguy1119 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 11:53 am I'm not as convinced as many others seem to be that we'll see anyone other than the new characters strapping on a proton pack for the first time in this movie. No doubt people like it, especially here, but I do think the general consensus is that Louis putting on the pack in II is one of those not-so-good jokes that mostly exists to extend the screen time of a character whose presence in the movie is already a stretch (and probably the kind of material that Moranis was thinking of if he was skeptical about Afterlife).

I think Janine turning out to be the grandmother makes the most sense in terms of getting her in the film, the only question would be (again) why she didn't convey this information to Callie and Phoebe. Maybe Callie is estranged from her mom for some reason.
I think I'm the opposite. I liked everything with Louis in II, especially the arc ending with suiting up. The idea of Janine being the grandmother makes my fan brain skeptical, and I don't really like it. Is it possible that she is the point-of-contact who helps the Summerville kids find the team, or something to that effect?
Sav C liked this
I certainly trust Jason enough that he won’t crowbar the originals in clumsily and awkwardly. I really can’t see that Janine could be the grandmother - it just doesn’t fit and I’d be unhappy if they wiped out GB2.

I think it’s more likely that she is the point of contact to get them together, maybe she is Grooberson’s point of contact. But as already said, we’re probably all wrong!
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
GaudinosWheels wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 2:17 pm it just doesn’t fit and I’d be unhappy if they wiped out GB2.
I'm happy with them keeping 95% of the stuff from Ghostbusters II if they ditch Janine and Louis's relationship.
RichRyan1507, mrmichaelt, janeb984 and 4 others liked this
I actually liked the Louis/Janine love affair because it's something in II that is different from the original, despite all the criticism that the sequel is too similar. By making the period when Callie was conceived before the first movie they could still honor Ramis' intent for the character to be a celibate, science disciple. If that relationship ended really badly with the mother and child leaving him it could also really explain the character's motives in a neat retroactive way for not wanting any romantic interaction with Janine, or anyone else.
Coover5 liked this
pizzarat wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 5:47 pm I actually liked the Louis/Janine love affair because it's something in II that is different from the original, despite all the criticism that the sequel is too similar. By making the period when Callie was conceived before the first movie they could still honor Ramis' intent for the character to be a celibate, science disciple. If that relationship ended really badly with the mother and child leaving him it could also really explain the character's motives in a neat retroactive way for not wanting any romantic interaction with Janine, or anyone else.
I respectfully disagree with everything in the above quote. I'd give my reasoning, but I realize no one will care to change their opinion at this point.
Alphagaia liked this
janeb984 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 6:00 pm
pizzarat wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 5:47 pm I actually liked the Louis/Janine love affair because it's something in II that is different from the original, despite all the criticism that the sequel is too similar. By making the period when Callie was conceived before the first movie they could still honor Ramis' intent for the character to be a celibate, science disciple. If that relationship ended really badly with the mother and child leaving him it could also really explain the character's motives in a neat retroactive way for not wanting any romantic interaction with Janine, or anyone else.
I respectfully disagree with everything in the above quote. I'd give my reasoning, but I realize no one will care to change their opinion at this point.
Thanks for letting me know, but it's not going to hurt my feelings if you want to write your own opinion. It's fun!
What if:

1- Janine had a daughter, the husband left and after GB2 she and Egon married. This would make Egon the "de facto" grand father of Trevor and Phoebe without him using his epididymis.

2- Egon had a pre-GB84 relationship. Janine is Grooberson aunt (or something similar) and that would explain why he knows terms like "ghost trap". That really stuck with me. General audience doesn't know the equipment terms and I guess it would be the same in-universe.
I don’t believe Ghostbusters 2 is being erased. Dan Aykroyd has been quoted saying Jason is handing the DNA of BOTH previous films to a new generation. I just think that if Ghostbusters 2 was going to be retconned they would have told us by now. When Superman Returns was coming out they let audiences know very early on that it was a direct sequel to Superman 2. The most recent Halloween film did the same thing. I think it is very clear that Afterlife is a sequel to Ghostbusters AND Ghostbusters 2.

The only things in question on if they are canon or not are The 2009 Video game and comics. If you do consider them canon it makes it easy to accept why the Ecto 1 appears the way it does in Afterlife. It even makes it easy to accept why the car is now outfitted with a gunner seat. 30 years is a long time to have the car reworked a few times. :):):)
It irritates the shit out of me when people think Ghostbusters 2 isn't going to be canon. Not ONE reason to think so. Not even one.
In the trailer Grooberson doesn’t give the impression he knows the Ghostbusters or Janine well enough to actually call them up although there’s the argument that that wouldn’t be shown anyway as it’d be too much of a spoiler.

Could it be that Carrie Coon is playing 31 with the son being 16? Young but not impossible. I suppose I’m just trying to find ways of making the timeline fit without retconning a family for Ego that we didn’t know about in the original films.
timeware wrote:But Deadderek, aren't you dead set against Oscar's involvement? As for ant man being part of the Melnitz clan I don't think that's the case.

Remember he's a kid while the GB's were in their prime. Just an obsessive fan like the rest of us.
The hell does me not wanting Oscar involved mean anything?
I think Gooberson's connected is that he was originally going to be part of the original team, when they decided to expand business at some point in the 90s, but whatever happened to Egon clearly hampered that effort. Makes sense if you think about it.

I have family that works at a school district, which was until now where many with varying degrees but couldn't make it in their fields decided to venture out of practicality. Even Ivan Reitman made a few comments regarding Paul's character for an interview for Universal Horror Nights.

It also explains how he managed to jerry rig the trap open, something Ray and Egon would've done in their day.
pizzarat liked this
OtherBill wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:30 am It would appear that the Google street view car drove through the town of Crossfield while they were shooting Afterlife. Take a peek at Railway St and Nanton Ave for some Summerville action.
Jumping back to the Google Street View of filming.... Not only is it awesome to see the Stay Puft art captured, but if you back up from that intersection and look left to the front of the Summerville Sheriff's department, you'll see two white garage doors - looks like we have our answer as to what other place the Ecto-1 is coming out of aside from the barn!!

https://ibb.co/GCx2gTw

I don't like spending a ton of time speculating on plot points (it'll be more fun going into the film w/o any preconceived ideas), but it seems really logical that Trevor's joyride through the field perhaps got the Ecto-1 impounded in that garage at the Sheriff's office. I could totally see the kids breaking in to get the car in order to go after Muncher and then BAM - we have a new recreation of the guys leaving the firehouse for their first bust in the original film! Pretty poetic in terms of story and imagery.
Very cool find, but I think it's more likely the car gets impounded after the Muncher 'bust', if they actually manage that, since it takes place inside the town, and it will have the Sheriff mad they shot up the place.

Side note: this is also why I'm sorta happy we have no new trailer yet. With all the time in the world before the movie gets out, if it's not postponed again, stuff like this will let us piece together the movie before is even out.
pizzarat, groschopf liked this
deadderek wrote: July 4th, 2020, 6:30 am
timeware wrote:But Deadderek, aren't you dead set against Oscar's involvement? As for ant man being part of the Melnitz clan I don't think that's the case.

Remember he's a kid while the GB's were in their prime. Just an obsessive fan like the rest of us.
The hell does me not wanting Oscar involved mean anything?
I was making a pun, but I figured you didn't like GB 2.
pizzarat liked this
Yes very good point that it would make more sense for it to be impounded after they shoot up the town. I guess I was just thinking that they would use the opportunity to mimic the original film with it leaving that garage for the first bust.

It's entirely possible that the close up shot of the door in the trailer is from later in the film and they retrieve the car for the final battle. We know from the set photos in the Vanity Fair piece that the car ends back up at the farmhouse late in the film - I feel like they wouldn't have recreated the farmhouse exterior on that stage unless they needed the blue screen backdrop to make some major changes to the whole environment, background, or sky for the finale.
Alphagaia, groschopf liked this
Paco wrote: July 4th, 2020, 8:20 am I think Gooberson's connected is that he was originally going to be part of the original team, when they decided to expand business at some point in the 90s, but whatever happened to Egon clearly hampered that effort. Makes sense if you think about it.

I have family that works at a school district, which was until now where many with varying degrees but couldn't make it in their fields decided to venture out of practicality. Even Ivan Reitman made a few comments regarding Paul's character for an interview for Universal Horror Nights.

It also explains how he managed to jerry rig the trap open, something Ray and Egon would've done in their day.
What all did Reitman say about Grooberson? I must have missed that. Grooberson is going to be a really important character because he's the only one who seems to know that Ghostbusters even existed. I think the movie is going to be a really fantastic balance of appeal for younger audiences with the kids, and Grooberson for us.

I wonder why Callie isn't aware of the kids' grandfather's past. Is it possible that the husband was Egon's child? I had a thought that maybe Oliver Cooper is the husband, but he joined the production in November.

Hope the fellow Americans are having a great 4th, and I hope to have a good-quality video of the Afterlife intro on Monday.
Paco wrote: July 4th, 2020, 8:20 am I think Gooberson's connected is that he was originally going to be part of the original team, when they decided to expand business at some point in the 90s, but whatever happened to Egon clearly hampered that effort. Makes sense if you think about it.

Great theory. I don’t think he was in line to join the Ghostbusters at any point before the Ghostbusters disbanded though. I heard early reports, not sure if they’re accurate, but they stated that Grooberson was in New York during the events of the first Ghostbusters. I think it would be funny if it turns out Grooberson was one of the kids waving the Ghostbusters T Shirts around at the end of the movie. ;)

Now I definately think he has the right qualities to be a Ghostbuster though. Speaking of the scene where he accidentally opens the trap. I imagine he had read about the Ghostbusters equipment in the old OMNI magazine from the montage. The cover does say Ghostbusters tools for the trade, so I am sure it covered the Ghost Trap. I imagine he has always wanted to see this equipment up close. I am really looking forward to this new crew making their own mistakes just like the OGs did when they destroyed the Sedgewick’s ballroom. :):):)
pizzarat, mrmichaelt liked this
moviemaker29 wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:04 am It's entirely possible that the close up shot of the door in the trailer is from later in the film and they retrieve the car for the final battle.
I suspect so. The strobe is flashing on the bumper when the garage doors opens... and something that bothered me about the trailer was how Ecto-1's emergency lights weren't on. I think you're right -- having the car with the lights going will be for later in the film, indicating how the pieces are falling together.
pizzarat, Kingpin liked this
GaudinosWheels wrote: July 4th, 2020, 3:07 am In the trailer Grooberson doesn’t give the impression he knows the Ghostbusters or Janine well enough to actually call them up although there’s the argument that that wouldn’t be shown anyway as it’d be too much of a spoiler.

Could it be that Carrie Coon is playing 31 with the son being 16? Young but not impossible. I suppose I’m just trying to find ways of making the timeline fit without retconning a family for Ego that we didn’t know about in the original films.

I think you guys are forgetting that in the character description for Trevor, it says that he is 14, but he tries to pass for 17 to hit on the girl. He's not as old as you think he is, I'm sure it will lead to some comedic moments... Phoebe is 12, Trevor is 14.
Yes, I know he was driving Ecto, but that doesn't mean he is 16. or even 15 with a permit. He seems to be obsessed with cars, he got it running, probably on his own, and he is obviously brilliant, so he can manage a car at 14.
Hey I am not sure if I mentioned this before but, do you think there is a bit of symbolism happening in this movie? Look at the Ecto 1. It is in a bit of rough shape and not quite in it’s prime, but those scenes where we see the car tear around corners shows that the car can still kick some ass and that it has a bit of fight left for one last adventure. You think we are going to see that kind of thing when the OGs suit up?

I know a few are still convinced that this won’t happen and for good reason, but IF it does wouldn’t it be serendipities? :):):)
You think we are going to see that kind of thing when the OGs suit up?

I know a few are still convinced that this won’t happen and for good reason, but IF it does wouldn’t it be serendipities? :):):)
They have to. Surely. Although whether they actually ‘suit up’ as opposed to strapped on the proton packs, I’m not sure. I’d do well to fit into a suit from 4 months ago let alone 30 years!
Last edited by Fritz on July 4th, 2020, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote tags

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]