By RedSpecial
A bit of an inane topic this one but in my quest to keep busy during lockdown, I decided to take a deep dive and look into just what they used for this minor detail.

It turns out, as with a lot of things on these props that even the zip ties on the Hero's were Milspec, with steel locking pins in the head.

Two ties were used on the thrower, one through a hole in the underside of the handle, just above the grip then another going through that tie and wrapping around the split loom.
Apart from the Super Hero pack which used one standard black zip tie here looped through two holes at the face of the handle

I wasn't able to see if these were used on the ribbon cables due to the part being so small and the available reference from before the GB2 conversion being so sparse.
I'd be surprised if they weren't though.

(Thanks to Julz for the reference pic of the underside of the handle)

As you can see from these photos, they have an odd dome shaped head and lack the notches that are on standard ties.
Instead , they have a series of raised stipples and strips.

ImageImage

After a bit of searching I finally narrowed it down to the correct brand, so here's the info.

Panduit brand.
Dome top barb ty

Serial#: BT1. 5I-C
NSN: MIL-S-23190

3.6mm width
155mm length

So there ya go.
A little detail no one will give a crap about let alone notice but that's what they used [emoji28]

Last edited by RedSpecial on June 19th, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JWils23, Dan AKA, Glenn Frederick and 6 others liked this
By JWils23
Didn’t mean to dislike this, fat thumbed it! Excellent work Red!
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
Cheers, gents!

That back and forth brainstorm with Julian definitely kept me busy for a couple of hours.
It might have resulted in a bit of a sting to my bank account mind you haha
Dan AKA liked this
By JWils23
Already on the website looking to order some, it’s the little details that make this fun!

Not to open another can of worms or derail this thread but I see in that second picture where the steel braided line anchors to the thrower handle. Is there any info out there as to what sized line they used or where it anchored on the pack side? It’s something I’d like to add to my build but not a detail you see often.
RedSpecial liked this
By Michael Scott
I’d never noticed that the loom was zip tied to the wand through a hole by the grip. I’ve spent the last hour going through reference pics on the site. At least one pack has a hole on the bottom side by the grip and 2 additional holes on the top side. The Ramis PIH pack only has 1 hole on the bottom from what I can see. It’s fun to find those little details to replicate. I guess I’m drilling at least one hole in my wand soon.
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
JWils23 wrote:Already on the website looking to order some, it’s the little details that make this fun!

Not to open another can of worms or derail this thread but I see in that second picture where the steel braided line anchors to the thrower handle. Is there any info out there as to what sized line they used or where it anchored on the pack side? It’s something I’d like to add to my build but not a detail you see often.
I'm not sure about the guage of that, it's been done before so hopefully someone will have that info for you.

I will say though that they' appear to be a strictly GB2 upgrade from my research.
Thats actually how this whole zip tie business came about when I was looking into the cable for my own build.
It's really evident by the lack of hole on the Murray pack on GB1 where it is attached today at the front face of the handle instead of the cable tie hole as on the other throwers.

There's also no evidence of it in any screen caps from GB1 or the Marshall arts pics

JWils23 liked this
By RedSpecial
Michael Scott wrote:I’d never noticed that the loom was zip tied to the wand through a hole by the grip. I’ve spent the last hour going through reference pics on the site. At least one pack has a hole on the bottom side by the grip and 2 additional holes on the top side. The Ramis PIH pack only has 1 hole on the bottom from what I can see. It’s fun to find those little details to replicate. I guess I’m drilling at least one hole in my wand soon.
Yeah it's just another little quirk.

The Super Hero has three holes in the handle.
Two at the top where a standard black zip tie loops through as well as one on the underside where a cable attaches to although that one appears to be a layer addition.

the Ramis, Murray and Aykroyd hero's have the zip tie hole on the underside, where they later attached the cable in GB2 which runs through the loom and anchors to the mobo just before the mouse hole. .
Other than the Murray, which they drilled a new hole on the outer part of the handle to attach the wire in GB2.
The Omni /Hudson most likely also has the same setup as the other three named packs but the reference just isn't there to corroborate that.

Last edited by RedSpecial on June 19th, 2020, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 910dohead
JWils23 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 9:21 am Already on the website looking to order some, it’s the little details that make this fun!

It's not a feature of the original design at all. The braided steel wire is a remnant of when that particular pack was displayed at Planet Hollywood.

By RedSpecial
That's a different mounting point for the wire on the ph display it appears.

Here's where the wire in question attaches to.
It's then threaded through the loom and attaches to a hole on the mobo.

Most likely as strain relief when they refitted the packs for GB2 to ensure the wiring wasn't put under too much tension. Image

Last edited by RedSpecial on June 19th, 2020, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Prologic9
Now this is quality content. I feel like the board is 15 years younger!

I bought some 6" Panduit #BT1.5I-C on ebay. That seems a little longer than the length you mentioned but otherwise identical. With shipping it was like $23 for 100. That's better than a lot of pack stuff, because Zip ties are actually useful.

Now please tell me about the smaller ties on the ribbon cable.

Edit; I just read your build thread. Are all the ties the same size?

Edit II; Oh I see, it was GB1 only and there's not great reference. They look like they could all be the same size.
RedSpecial, Kingpin liked this
By RedSpecial

As far as I can tell, yes.
The next size down from this is 2.4mm which is way too small.
I only know that because I also bought a pack of those along with the 3.6mm in order to compare as I wasn't sure what would be the correct size for the handle and tried them on the ribbon cable.

Not a bad price at all, I paid £18 for the shorter length ties with shipping so that seems to be on par.

The only reason I listed the 155mm length was because it was the cheaper option.

GraygoryGruesome liked this
By Prologic9
I looked through my 4k screenshots and I wouldn't say it was a lot of help.

This shot makes Rays tie next to the two discs look super thin, but the higher one looks thicker;

RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
I was running into the same issue with them looking thin, then thicker on both screen caps and the Marshall arts pics.

It was the head size that swayed my decision.
As the heads on the smaller ones are just too small compared to the refs.

I think the thin look of the ties at times could possibly be caused by the way the convex shape of the tie reflects light in comparison to the flat shape that we're used to seeing on standard ties.

As an irrelevant aside, I realised the reason these probably don't have the standard notches that ordinary zip ties have is because of the noise.
These things are silent when you tighten them which makes sense for military applications.

By 910dohead
RedSpecial wrote: June 19th, 2020, 10:21 am That's a different mounting point for the wire on the ph display it appears.

Here's where the wire in question attaches to.
It's then threaded through the loom and attaches to a hole on the mobo.

Most likely as strain relief when they refitted the packs for GB2 to ensure the wiring wasn't put under too much tension.
Tethered to the wall. Going from the handle base thru an eyelet mounted into the wall to the alice frame. Hard to see but its there.

By JWils23
Since we're talking about all things obscure here, I was looking at the zip ties on the ribbon cables and then turned into looking at the different twists as I try to figure out which I'll try to replicate on my build. I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this but I thought it would be fun to throw in here for anyone who hasn't seen it. I was looking at these two and noticed the solid colors start on the left and then transition to the white/multi-colored on the right.
And then when I was looking at the Omni I noticed it was reversed with the white/multi-color starting on the left and solid colors on the right

Then I went searching for a picture of all 4 together to see if the Omni was the only one like that but it appears that two are solid to white (Spengler/Stantz) and two are white to solid (Venkman/Zeddemore).

Just a fun thing I'd never noticed before and thought I'd share
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
The Super Hero pack also has a twist similar to the Omni but it's pretty strange compared to the others due in part to the pclip being upside down.

I don't have the pic right now but DanAka has replicated it on his build.

My favourite has always been the Ramis Hero packs twist.
I prefer that the colour goes left to right and that there's just more of it.
It's a good shape, too :)
By Nuclearjungle
I think the correct brand of zip tie is actually Ty-Rap, rather than Panduit. Ty-Raps have the two ridges in the center running the length of the tie, as pictured on the prop. I don't think the Panduit has that.
By RedSpecial
They do have them.
Two central ridges and a row of stipples in the centre and on each edge.

I thought it was ty-rap initially when we were brainstorming on the Facebook Post but after receiving some the head of those ties is very square for lack of a better term and no where near what we're seeing in the reference.

I'm 100% certain the Panduit ties are the ones as they share every feature shown.

I'll try to take a pic, or find one which shows those ridges.
Last edited by RedSpecial on June 20th, 2020, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RedSpecial
The Ty-Rap head for comparison.

Close in shape but very flat at the front with sharply angled edges and completely lacks the dome shape. Image

By RedSpecial
No problem :)

Quite possibly, I just couldn't find clear enough reference to definitively confirm it either way so I decided to use these since they're the new shiny thing right now [emoji28]
By westies14
Oh - also worth mentioning, the braided wire definitely isn't just from display! It runs through the split loom and is anchored at a similar hole on the motherboard. Definitely to avoid pulling on the electrical wires, as you said.
RedSpecial, Kingpin liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]