It's been a while. I think 2014/15 is my last posted build thread.

I've wanted to build one of these packs since I saw the first one on preview night of San Diego Comic Con 2015 and got to hold the thrower.

Fast forward a bit, and after the production wrapped 4 production made synchrotrons were sold via the site Screen Bid. I was lucky enough to grab one.

Around the time of the movie release myself and some friends were hosting a booth at WonderCon and had a chance encounter with one of the prop builders who worked on the packs in the film. With his guidance I set off to collect every off the shelf part I could that was a match to what they used on screen.

For the next year or so I worked with RJ at FreekyGeeky.com to make a screen accurate aluminum cryo chamber aka tool box for the pack. We poured over all of the available reference pics as well as some private pics I have from some hands on time my friend Darthdono74 and I had with a screen used pack. Here is the evolution of the cryo chamber.Image

Once the cryo chamber arrived, I had to see what it looked like with the sync and motherboard. The mobo I am using is one from the run of boards I did back in 2015/16.

Thats it for now. If you'd like to see more, please follow the thread or you can check out my Facebook page JoeLuna33 Props
I'll admit this design grew on me overtime, the first one I built from cobbled together parts was fun, and I will be using this thread s inspiration for my 2nd build.
When I left off last time I had just received the cryo chamber box. My synchrotron has a strip of flexible LEDs in it so I figured, lets light it up!

After that I set off to begin the build. As you can see here, I have the left side dry fit and the RF circuit as well as the Hammond box installed on the cryo box.

Cryo box painted, RF circuit assembled, weathering done to the lower part of the pack. In another awesome turn of luck. I met the painter who painted the screen used packs. Using his direction I ordered the same paints he used as well as the technique he outlined to me. Image

Ashcroft gauge and boot installed. Then the weathered gauge.

To finish off the cryo box assembly I 3D printed the end caps that go inside it. The hero pack Erin wears has its cryo tubes painted an anodized blue so I tried to match that. You can see the weathered vs the unweathered.

The look of the side once the end cap was installed and everything weathered together.

That wraps up the cryo chamber assembly. Next update will be all about the left side of the pack assembly.
Ron Daniels, Kingpin, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
I didn't take very many pics of the construction of the left side of the pack. I did design and 3D print the upper and lower spacers that raise the bridge piece up to give clearance around the synchrotron.

I was lucky enough to talk Jason Murphy into pulling me one of his awesome resin heat syncs.

Raw...

Painted and weathered....

Once I got the left side mounted and heat sync painted I began working on the copper bumpers. I began with 1/2" copper tubing which everyone has been using since 2015/16. You will see below that that is very inaccurate. What was used on the screen used packs was 3/8" copper tube which is 1/2" OD.

Inaccurate.....

After realizing my mistake I began again, making the bumpers out of 3/8" copper tubing and elbows

Accurate.....

My pack is heavily based on the Erin Gilbert Hero pack so of course I had to use her decal on my shroud of the switch box.

After that I got the Spongeface displays installed and the pack body is getting closer to being finished.

Stay tuned! Next time I will begin the thrower build.
Kingpin, Ron Daniels, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: May 13th, 2020, 9:37 am Looking great! And cheers for the note on the pipe thickness... Now I'll have to repurchase the elbows as I got the larger, incorrect size. :P
Depending on the level of accuracy you’re trying to achieve, the copper fittings they used on the screen used packs are EHC brand.
Kingpin liked this
OK. Thrower time!

I started with a 3D printed gun body. This thrower was modeled by DemonViceCommander here on GBfans. Comparing it to measurements I took from a screen used thrower, it is the closest to screen accurate there is. Image

The inside of the body has tons of room which is really nice for electronics install.

Sanding, filling, sanding, priming, filling...... I did not want it to look like a 3D print when I was finished. I can not stand print lines.

As I was working on the body, I also was working with the machinist at my work to make an aluminum front barrel. I patterned the barrel off of the Erin hero pack as each pack had its own variances in the holes.

Getting closer to paint...

One of my favorite details of this build is the accurate Danger label that Jason Murphy printed for me on his resin printer.

Paint time!

And weathering....

The last thing I had to figure out on the thrower were the bezels on the control face of it. I'm not sure if he's on GBFans or not but Moby Signs is his business. He was able to make me custom bezels that matched the screen used throwers perfectly. The second pic is my thrower vs a screen used one.
ccv66, EnderWeggen, Ron Daniels and 1 others liked this
The paint texture is interesting, almost looks like it has a base and a wash along with another layer from a spray bottle to dilute the drying wash.
Mr.Spider wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:35 pm The paint texture is interesting, almost looks like it has a base and a wash along with another layer from a spray bottle to dilute the drying wash.
Pretty dang close. I spoke with the man that painted the packs for the movie and he walked me through his technique. It was a base, 2 different spray can wood toners sprayed on while wet and dabbed off, then an old school black wash to grime up the gaps and hard to reach places.
Interesting, I would have never though of wood toners on a plastic surface, very neat.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]