Lowberg wrote: May 4th, 2020, 2:27 pm AJ here's a video of random measurements in case this helps.
https://youtu.be/pyXwoo_smtk

I kinda lost steam on this project when that new photo proved the sliver lens base is now back in the "partially unidentified" realm lol
In searching for other microscope and telescope adapters, the Mirax lenses are the only ones that have the thin band where the retention screw is mounted. We can probably extrapolate the proper dimensions to get ones machined, but I agree that this might be an extremely rare adapter that the prop department somehow stumbled onto.

Are we certain that Mirax didn't have any other versions that what was shown in the manual? I'm fairly new to the goggle lens hunt but there has to be someone who might know if other vendors offered compatible adapters?
I think the goggles broke and were re-assembled a few times during filming, or there were multiple versions. I think it looks best with the glass sitting in beneath the silver ring.

FYI the silver ring is just a thin piece of aluminum that acts like a clamp to secure the microscope adapters to a microscope eyepiece. The front-most thumb screws put pressure on it and it "tightens" to clamp down. The lower thumb screws are to secure the upper halfs to the lower halfs.

The right eye silver optic has a very small internal lip to the edge so it could have been mounted from the inside and pushed up against the edge. The left eye shorter optic probably had the lense underneath the silver band as there's a small ledge there too, but the silver band fits almost exact so they probably had to modify it a bit
Great info, thanks. I actually hadn't realized that the original parts never contained lenses of any kind, and simply clamped onto microscope parts. I had some eyepiece replicas 3d printed in steel and nylon recently, and I've been going back and forth on how to secure the glass lenses. I did make an aluminum insert ring for the left eye, and I agree that it definitely looks nicer with the glass underneath it.
Has it really been a year since I've touched this project or even thought about it? Wow!

This year I finally got with modern prop building times and purchased a 3D printer. This has allowed me do some proof of concept tests on how they might have gotten the base rings to match up.

Recapping:
-I know the short optic lens I own has different threads than the tall/silver optic lens and is also slightly larger in diameter.
-The short optic lens came with some sort of knurled adapter ring that looks like the correct ring according to reference photos.

-The tall/silver optic Mirax Laborec lens has undersized knurling machined into it that is not seen on the Ecto Goggles, and it would inhibit a true T-adapter ring from being used on it. I believe that lens was only designed to mount directly to the Mirax Laborec Camera

My original thought was they might have found some adapter ring that would cover the natural machined-in knurling on the silver optic and at the same time making the two base rings the same diameter (As they appear to be).

Now that I have a 3d printer I can put that theory to the test. I designed a t-adapter style ring for the tall lens that would be the same diameter as the short lens ring, but allow the machined in knurling to "live" inside of it and be hidden

The 3d printed T-adapter would mount from behind the faceplate, only about 1/2 way exposed on the front.

This was my happy moment, this really makes me think the theory that they shoved the Mirax Laborec into an additional ring adapter plausible. Besides my knurling being a bit oversized, it looks very close to the hero prop setup now :)

I made a short optic version as well for proof of concept, with a lip added for mounting to the faceplate.

And for the first time in years....My Mirax Laborec Adapters are on a frame!!!!!!!!!!!
Kingpin, Nighty80, tobycj and 2 others liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]