For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Theres a bunch on eBay, probably should do is message them and see if anyone would take a picture of the article and email it for a few bucks.. "make offer" yeah it's not a magazine I want laying around or buy just to read a couple of paragraphs. It being 30 years old, don't think company even exist anymore. Probably easier to find someone who owns it, then the publisher
greg wrote: April 5th, 2020, 4:19 am I recall that the most prominent victim of this censorship was « The Collect Call of Cathulhu » which nearly never made it due to bigotery.
I recall that in France, they renamed the ancient god « belzebuth »...but kept all the « cathulhu » prayers😂
Ghost Fight at the O.K. Corral was butchered because the wild west ghosts couldn't have guns, dispite earlier epidodes showing ghosts and living police with firearms.
Well, in France and Belgium, one of the most popular comic characters of the 50's-60's, Spirou, was in the hands of a rather bigot editor.
In one book, the main characters get chased by gangsters holding guns in the hands.
The Editor ordered the guns to be erased, but as a sign of protest, the artist kept the hands as they were. So you see the hands closed as if they were holding a ghost gun haha
Kingpin wrote: April 4th, 2020, 8:38 am This is something I'll always find a little hilarious, industry professionals penning articles for skin rags to somehow make them more 'legitimate'.

Though I would be interested in reading the article in question.
Playboy legitimately had terrific interviews and articles. I’ve purchased 4 Playboy magazines in my life. 3 of them were for the articles. One of the greatest interviews with Stanley Kubrick was done for Playboy.

Heck in the 1960s/70s Playboy was on the forefront of the civil rights movement. In the 1980s they were reporting on the HIV/Aides epidemic before most people had even heard the term.

I too would love to read JMS’s article.
Kingpin liked this
RichardLess wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:59 amHeck in the 1960s/70s Playboy was on the forefront of the civil rights movement. In the 1980s they were reporting on the HIV/Aides epidemic before most people had even heard the term.
Every day is a school day. I didn't know that, so cheers for the insight. :)
I found a "vintage erotica forum" that has a index of scans and a request sub forum. I'll see if I can find it there. If the folks over there can help I'll post the article here.
Kingpin wrote: April 5th, 2020, 10:50 am
RichardLess wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:59 amHeck in the 1960s/70s Playboy was on the forefront of the civil rights movement. In the 1980s they were reporting on the HIV/Aides epidemic before most people had even heard the term.
Every day is a school day. I didn't know that, so cheers for the insight. :)
I think Harold Ramis did some writing for playboy when he was just starting out.
Bison256 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:46 pm I found a "vintage erotica forum" that has a index of scans and a request sub forum. I'll see if I can find it there. If the folks over there can help I'll post the article here.
Good idea. I let Paul Rudoff of Spook Central know and if he finds one, he'll make scans of the article, too.
Bison256 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:46 pmI think Harold Ramis did some writing for playboy when he was just starting out.
Yes, I believe that was a job right out of college.
Alex Newborn wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:25 pm
RichardLess wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:59 am I’ve purchased 4 Playboy magazines in my life. 3 of them were for the articles.
And the fourth one?

AN
Uh um...I liked the..um...advertisements? Yeah! That’s it! The advertisements. Those big huge, massive advertisements. I had never seen a pair of advertisements so big.
RichardLess wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:24 am
Alex Newborn wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:25 pm

And the fourth one?

AN
Uh um...I liked the..um...advertisements? Yeah! That’s it! The advertisements. Those big huge, massive advertisements. I had never seen a pair of advertisements so big.
All the cigarette, car, video game and music cd ads you could ever want! Ghostbusters shows up a lot in ads and articles in 84 and 85. FYI I found a shady website years ago that had pdfs of almost every issue.
I would just buy the box set on DVD they released. There are interviews on it where JMS goes into great detail of what changes he hated most. One of the main ones he hated was that Janine could not wear a short skirt and that her glasses had to be changed. He found that demand sexist. Be also hated their demand that Slimer had to be the star of the show.
@ d_osborn: Wow, I never would have guessed that something like that would have happened. Taking out Ray Stantz out of The Real Ghostbusters might have ended the show in mid 1987. I am really glad that thankfully this idea was never implemented. Now I defiantly plan on reading his book "Becoming Superman" in the near future. Also, the big stink that Broadcast Standards and Practices at ABC raised was about the episode "Russian About "which aired in season six (1990), and not "The Collect Call of Cathulhu which aired in season two (1987) which aired in syndication. Being in syndication allowed the writers of The Real Ghostbusters more creative freedoms with their stories , as the rules for syndicated animation programs were different that the ones for Saturday Morning Cartoons. Here is a link that explains why JMS got into trouble with BS&P :https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Russian_About
Last edited by Peter Venkman Jr. on April 25th, 2020, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
d_osborn wrote: April 24th, 2020, 9:12 am His "Becoming Superman" book goes into some great detail on RGB, as well. Apparently the studio tried to get the Ray character nixed from the show at one point.
What?! They tried to remove the Heart of the Ghostbusters? Why? Because he was fat? And yet they wanted to center the show around Slimer: a disgusting green blob and compulsive eater? Unbelievable...
Kingpin liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: April 24th, 2020, 6:16 pmWhat?! They tried to remove the Heart of the Ghostbusters? Why?
Because many Network executives frequently show themselves to be idiots who don't understand a damn thing about the premise, formula or craft.
ghoulishfright liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:47 am
ghoulishfright wrote: April 24th, 2020, 6:16 pmWhat?! They tried to remove the Heart of the Ghostbusters? Why?
Because many Network executives frequently show themselves to be idiots who don't understand a damn thing about the premise, formula or craft.
That they were. All the people in that lawfirm the executives of ABC hired who came in and made those stupid demands that ruined the show. Sadly that wasn't the last time executives metaled in J. Michael Straczynski's work. Marvel forced him to write a few terrible Spider-Man comics. And forced him into doing one of the worst Spider-Man stories ever made. But that is a topic for another discussion. I could go into huge rants about how I refuse to read Modern Spider-Man comics!
ghoulishfright wrote: April 24th, 2020, 6:16 pm
d_osborn wrote: April 24th, 2020, 9:12 am His "Becoming Superman" book goes into some great detail on RGB, as well. Apparently the studio tried to get the Ray character nixed from the show at one point.
What?! They tried to remove the Heart of the Ghostbusters? Why? Because he was fat? And yet they wanted to center the show around Slimer: a disgusting green blob and compulsive eater? Unbelievable...
Well they did make slimer from a team pet into a audience avatar child like character who always gets away with stealing everyone's food and causes malfunctions in dangerous equipment and generally ruins Peter's life but NEVER gets punished for it, and the other 3 always make Peter the bad guy when he rightfully gets mad. This annoyed me when I was a child now even more so.
Kingpin liked this
Bison256 wrote: April 25th, 2020, 10:18 pm
ghoulishfright wrote: April 24th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Well they did make slimer from a team pet into a audience avatar child like character who always gets away with stealing everyone's food and causes malfunctions in dangerous equipment and generally ruins Peter's life but NEVER gets punished for it, and the other 3 always make Peter the bad guy when he rightfully gets mad. This annoyed me when I was a child now even more so.
I have said this before but I never liked Slimer much. All my favorite episodes are ones that don't have Slimer or where he is only in it a little bit. You gotta love the scene in the episode The Spirit of Aunt Lois where Peter goes upstairs and yells, "Sliiiiiiiiimmmmmmerrrrrr! What have you done to my bed!?" The look on Janine's and the guys' faces when he yells that is priceless.
zeta otaku liked this
Bison256 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 7:54 am Does anyone have a pdf or text for article about censorship of the real ghostbusters that J. Michael Straczynski published in the June 1991 issue of Penthouse? I've always wanted to read it but can't find it online.

Spook Central posted about this yesterday on Facebook. He'd teased it saying he was tracking an overdue package that kept bouncing all around his state, but never said what the item was. (I had something similar happen recently with a parcel that went to a town two hours from here on two different dates as it wound its way circuitously to me.)

"Spook Central
Yesterday at 3:35 PM ·
J. Michael Straczynski's The Real #Ghostbusters Censorship Penthouse June 1991 Article - https://www.patreon.com/posts/36467971

Thanks to the support of all of the dear Spookies on Patreon, I was able to obtain a copy of this magazine to share with the community. Obviously, because they helped "pay" for it, the loyal Spookies on Patreon get Straczynski's article exclusively for a while...and in 300dpi, at that! A 150dpi PDF and text transcription will be added to Spook Central at a later date.

Item requested by MrMichaelT.

- Paul"

So I guess it will eventually be added to the website, but if you want it sooner, you'll have to donate.

Alex
Bison256 wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 8:12 am I know he posted it publicly recently but I can find it again with google. Anyone got a link?
Scroll down to the Magazine Articles section and you'll see download links for the Penthouse article.
https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/the-r ... ters-books
or read the transcript
https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/the-r ... -editorial
robbritton liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]