Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hairy Biker wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm I'm not trying to get my hopes up but I can't be the only one hoping that Aykroyd, Murray and Hudson don jumpsuits one last time?
I kinda feel JR wouldn't rob us of that. I think he'd put it in for IR.

Oh The More that gets revealed I think the chances of them suiting up in the finale get higher and higher. I mean the trailer shows that all the equipment and jumpsuits are in that lab that Phoebe finds. The only thing missing is the guys and we know that they will be showing up. I am just getting the sense that this movie is going to hit all the right spots. I think that we will be getting a very funny, scary, and wonderfully emotionally driven story that will be both personal yet have the fate of the world hanging in the balance. A great introduction to new and interesting characters and one last adventure for the returning original characters. I am including Egon in the mix at this point because even though Harold Ramis is no longer with us, it would appear that his character's absence is going to be the driving force behind the story and that just brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. :)

I think we are going to be very Surprised. I have said this before, but I am beyond ecstatic that this movie came to light and I hope it is a hit. However I will be completly satisfied if this is the last live action film we see from the franchise. If it is a hit it is not very likely that this will be the last one, but I just don't think we will have as much love and effort put into a film like Jason has put into this one. If I am wrong that is totally cool I will gladly eat my words especially if we see that Animated feature film and the Ecto Force tv series get the green light. For me going forward there is absolutely nothing that is going to top Ghostbusters Afterlife. :):):)
Hairy Biker wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm I'm not trying to get my hopes up but I can't be the only one hoping that Aykroyd, Murray and Hudson don jumpsuits one last time?
I kinda feel JR wouldn't rob us of that. I think he'd put it in for IR.
There are four jumpsuits in Egon's lab, I think. While I won't hold my breath for them to get properly suited up, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. All of the jumpsuits saying "Spengler" and the three of them wearing a Spengler flightsuit would be a wonderful visual metaphor for how he's still with them, especially with his nametag so close to their hearts. [/sappy]
Corey91 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:49 pm I'm a tad worried about the reactions of the 'general public' so far.

https://www.facebook.com/157062725807/p ... 8/?app=fbl

I hope the response are better elsewhere!

Oh I wouldn't sweat it Alphagaia. I heard more vile and heartless things said about ATC. Even if some of the people are uninterested in the new movie They don't seam to be too mean spirited about it. I think the general public is not as vocal as hardcore fans. I believe there will be enough interest in this new movie for it to do well. If the movie is better than anticipated word of mouth will spread real quick. Good old fashioned Word of mouth is still the best way to get information out there. :):):)
robbritton liked this
I'm not expecting the original cast to suit up.

I don't think the bunker in question is elaborate enough to constitute something Egon needed a ton of money to build. One relatively small underground room that doesn't exactly look state-of-the-art is not exactly "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

Plus, one patent on a piece of Ghostbusters technology could've set Egon up with plenty whether the business was running or not, as long as it had other applications.
Kingpin liked this
Plus it's possible Egon may've done side work not related to Ghostbusters that might've supplemented his income during his years in Summerville. He may well have worked in the town before he apparently became a full-on recluse.

I'm not expecting to see the original Ghostbusters suit up. What I'm probably expecting at the moment is them to pop up at various points through the film, and maybe all of them gather together after the main threat has been eliminated, discussing how there's still a need for Ghostbusters, but they're too old to be strapping on the Packs full-time again, leading to them discussing about training a new team... And leaving the door open for a sequel/new series of films.
deadderek, tylergfoster liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
philmorgan81 wrote: January 24th, 2020, 10:35 pm Oh I wouldn't sweat it Alphagaia. I heard more vile and heartless things said about ATC. Even if some of the people are uninterested in the new movie They don't seam to be too mean spirited about it.
They both have issues I won't talk about the ATC that's been done by me on here

However you absolutely should worry about the general reaction to afterlife. Look on YouTube ign ect.... Comments (not saying it's a perfect measurement but it is telling)

Everytime there is a lot of comments I see that are "meh" or "wait there's a new ghostbusters?" Both of these say the general public is not as nasty and hateful as the manbabies attack on ATC , however it shows a sheer lack of care. "Meh" doesn't generate box office revenue.

Hate can generate more money like I know loads who went to see cats as they wanted to see the Trainwreck for themselves. Now that's not a guarantee to make money though

Love normally generates box office as it encourages people to watch and repeat screenings that makes a big splash

Meh means people don't bother watching. That's usually worse than out and out hate as they don't even watch it to mock it or experience the bad. They just ignore it.

Afterlife seems on track to bomb based on reactions. When it does the vocal manbabies will blame ATC sonehow, the die hard fanboys will blame lack of advertising , some more neutral people will blame the film + advertising on its own merits and the haters of the movie will blame the kids like people who say Jake Lloyd ruined star wars despite doing exactly what was asked of him.

Now I admit I'm not interested so far as I've said but want to be. However even if I don't see it I want it to do well as even if it's not for me we will get new cartoons , games ect.... And the franchise will be stronger. So I'm hoping it won't bomb.

Another huge element imo is China. China won't show movies with ghosts. That's important as even Warcraft made money there which actually helped the movie as much as it could. So it doesn't have that lifeline to fall back on like a lot of bombs that get saved.

It's going to be tough. More than ever "meh" for ghostbusters is problematic as we also have more services than ever. Why spend money to go out and see "meh" when you can stay home and watch Netflix or Disney plus or something.

But as I said above I hope and pray I'm wrong on this as I want it to succeed even if it's not for me.
I gota disagree.
From where I am, people, like the straights, are very much aware of and excited for a third film.
Some people I know who are just generally aware of Ghostbusters seem very excited.
Most are glad its returning to the original timeline and forgetting about the remake.

Its a very exciting time around my area with people waiting for it.
I think youre just taking the internet for what is which is people getting there kicks from trolling.

When I saw Jumanji there were cheers n excitement when the GBIII trailer played.

Real people have a much different attitude to it then those on the internet.
twmedford23, deadderek, Rex Features and 3 others liked this
No I'm talking real people too.

At work I mentioned trailer was met with eye rolls of "another? No thanks" or "really there's one coming?" I've seen trailer in cinema and people talked over it about the mandalorian and when Disney plus coming to UK no other reactions to it.

However as I said I hope it succeeds so hopefully I'm just seeing different to you. I even managed to pick up some regular ghostbusters merchandise from shops as they had it on sale and lots of it after they put it out hoping new trailer would make a big interest again and didn't. Which was sad really as I want ghostbusters to sell well as if it doesn't it'll effect what shops stock of it in future which is bad.

I think what your talking about are fanboys. They'll always cheer and be excited for anything. Hell there was ghostbusters fanboys who hyped up sanctum of slime (god I hated that game lol)

But likely it's different folks different experiences.
deadderek wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:00 am I've only heard positive things about it so far from the straights.
That's good like said I want to be successful as it's good for all of us as whole regardless of if we like the film or not.

Like star wars prequels some/ alot hated but it's success kept star wars going and we had TV shows , comics , games ect.... That people did like.
I'm not too worried about the advertising at this point, it's still five months until the release. If we were less than a month away and we still weren't seeing anything in print or on television, then I'd be worried. We'll probably start seeing some print advertising in around March, and maybe a new trailer around then as well.
SSJmole wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:38 pm
timeware wrote: January 25th, 2020, 12:32 pm Sanctum of slime never caught my interest. I am crossing my streams in the hopes that Microsoft adds some new Ghostbusters items to the new avatar store.
Be grateful. It was bad. Cool idea but terribly done.
As someone who played it, yeah. It’s quite frustrating at times and clunky. I don’t think twin stick shooters work for Ghostbusters anymore given how Fireforge’s version of SOS turned out. The avatar items were cool tho! My Xbox avatar has the flightsuit item which is sweet.
Last edited by Kingpin on January 25th, 2020, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quoted text
Ghostytheghost wrote: January 25th, 2020, 2:25 pm
SSJmole wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Be grateful. It was bad. Cool idea but terribly done.
As someone who played it, yeah. It’s quite frustrating at times and clunky. I don’t think twin stick shooters work for Ghostbusters anymore given how Fireforge’s version of SOS turned out. The avatar items were cool tho! My Xbox avatar has the flightsuit item which is sweet.
The 2016 one wasn't terrible I actually enjoyed it. It was sanctum of slime style but actually really fun and improved on every area.

Sanctum was just badly executed though. Like the focus on swapping gun types based in enemies but then they send every colour at you at once. Or the same like 4 stages over and over. It just wasnt fun
Last edited by Kingpin on January 25th, 2020, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Fixed quoted text
JonXCTrack wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm
groschopf wrote:
... I didn't say anything about him investigating by himself or building an underground lair by himself. I just suggested that cause of death could have been an occupational hazard.

That'll probably be too mundane for a film -- few people enjoy movies about OSHA-related issues -- but it's a possibility.

I find it curious that you're immediately skeptical of obvious speculation on a fan message board, but credulous when some anonymous user on Reddit claims to have a leaked script.
If we assume the leak is untrue, and the Ghostbusters closed up shop 30 years ago, then we have to wonder how Egon would have afforded to build an underground lab. I know real estate is a lot less expensive in Oklahoma, but building an underground bunker can't be cheap. Also, why build an underground bunker to begin with? It implies he is trying to conceal what he's doing. Why? Did the government shut the Ghostbusters down, requiring Egon to continue his research in secret? If so, then did he build it himself? Seems like a major undertaking. And if he did have help, he'd have to be really careful about who to trust in helping him build it.

If we assume that the leak is true, then we know how Egon would afford to build the bunker - a national business presumably generates enough profit for a project like that. But it still raises the question as to why there is an underground bunker rather than in a more conspicuous location. Perhaps Egon didn't trust the locals - fearing they may be Gozer worshippers?

As for Egon's demise - one could easily imagine Egon accidentally killing himself working with all of this dangerous tech. But it's also possible that he died in a car accident, or came down with a fatal illness.

Then there's the element of forgiveness that is supposed to be in this film. The leak explains that, but it could also be something as simple as Egon went down to Oklahoma, and everyone else got too wrapped up in their own lives to stay in touch. Then one day they find out that Egon passed away and they never got to say their goodbyes, and have felt guilty about it. They learn to forgive themselves by assisting Egon's family.

I actually think the alleged plot leak has merit. The whole national franchise thing is the only thing that doesn't make sense. Perhaps it was an early idea that was discarded. Or maybe Ghostbusters was a national franchise for a short while, but grew too big, too fast, and ultimately went under. Now there are all these Ecto-Containment Units around the country, and there's nobody paying the massive electric bills. Or maybe the Government is demanding they be shut down.

We won't have to wait much longer to find out. Heck, even the toy fair next month could shed a lot of light on the plot of this film.
I could see the whole "franchise" thing having happened since Venkman tells Ray that his vision for the business getting big could wind up with them making millions off the "franchise rights alone". One thing I've thought about with them saying the film deals with "loss" is that we're all thinking it's just Egon that has been lost but I could also see the element of loss in the fact that they don't seem to have a father present. Regardless, I really have a feeling that none of us are gonna walk away from this film being really disappointed because it seems like it's gonna be awesome. I just really do still hope that it remains a true comedy at heart though. I don't really feel the need for a cynical or "dark and gritty" Ghostbusters film. I also hope it doesn't lean to sentimental and exposition heavy. The true charm of Ghostbusters to me is that it's filled with so many quick one liners and great characters interacting with each other. That's what I hope is most retained from the first two films.
pizzarat liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:13 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm

If we assume the leak is untrue, and the Ghostbusters closed up shop 30 years ago, then we have to wonder how Egon would have afforded to build an underground lab. I know real estate is a lot less expensive in Oklahoma, but building an underground bunker can't be cheap. Also, why build an underground bunker to begin with? It implies he is trying to conceal what he's doing. Why? Did the government shut the Ghostbusters down, requiring Egon to continue his research in secret? If so, then did he build it himself? Seems like a major undertaking. And if he did have help, he'd have to be really careful about who to trust in helping him build it.

If we assume that the leak is true, then we know how Egon would afford to build the bunker - a national business presumably generates enough profit for a project like that. But it still raises the question as to why there is an underground bunker rather than in a more conspicuous location. Perhaps Egon didn't trust the locals - fearing they may be Gozer worshippers?

As for Egon's demise - one could easily imagine Egon accidentally killing himself working with all of this dangerous tech. But it's also possible that he died in a car accident, or came down with a fatal illness.

Then there's the element of forgiveness that is supposed to be in this film. The leak explains that, but it could also be something as simple as Egon went down to Oklahoma, and everyone else got too wrapped up in their own lives to stay in touch. Then one day they find out that Egon passed away and they never got to say their goodbyes, and have felt guilty about it. They learn to forgive themselves by assisting Egon's family.

I actually think the alleged plot leak has merit. The whole national franchise thing is the only thing that doesn't make sense. Perhaps it was an early idea that was discarded. Or maybe Ghostbusters was a national franchise for a short while, but grew too big, too fast, and ultimately went under. Now there are all these Ecto-Containment Units around the country, and there's nobody paying the massive electric bills. Or maybe the Government is demanding they be shut down.

We won't have to wait much longer to find out. Heck, even the toy fair next month could shed a lot of light on the plot of this film.
I could see the whole "franchise" thing having happened since Venkman tells Ray that his vision for the business getting big could wind up with them making millions off the "franchise rights alone". One thing I've thought about with them saying the film deals with "loss" is that we're all thinking it's just Egon that has been lost but I could also see the element of loss in the fact that they don't seem to have a father present. Regardless, I really have a feeling that none of us are gonna walk away from this film being really disappointed because it seems like it's gonna be awesome. I just really do still hope that it remains a true comedy at heart though. I don't really feel the need for a cynical or "dark and gritty" Ghostbusters film. I also hope it doesn't lean to sentimental and exposition heavy. The true charm of Ghostbusters to me is that it's filled with so many quick one liners and great characters interacting with each other. That's what I hope is most retained from the first two films.
Excellent post! They definitely had an agenda with the first trailer, but I think the actual movie itself is going to feel different. Juno Reitman said that he re-watched both movies to really analyze what makes a "Ghostbusters" movie, so I think we're in great hands. Not having the story set in NYC is a bold step, but I like it. My own hope is that this movie is very successful and they end up back there in the sequel. Sony is investing a lot into this movie, and they definitely need a hit as their other franchise anchors have been failing pretty hard.

The joke about dying under the table was great, that was totally reminiscent of "killed by a hundred foot 'marshmallow man?".
Hairy Biker wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm I have seen people mention the serious tone of the trailer a bit so I went and watched the trailers for Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II and they seemed serious in tone too.
Ii think its just following the pattern.
Hmm, I'm getting a different vibe. Let me start by assuring that I love the new and old trailers.

The '84 trailer feels very tongue in cheek with the announcer growling GHOSTS over eerie music. THEY ARE REAL. THEY ARE HERE, and then showing some of the best known comedic actors of that time shouting if anyone seen a ghost while toting some weird gadgets and poking people. It felt to me they parodied (for lack of a better word) a horror movie, but it very much felt it was a goofy premise.

GBA's trailer feels way more sincere in what it puts out there. It's really emotional and focuses on character instead of ghostbusting. Still has one or two small gags, but most of it feel dramatic with real emotional reactions.

As I said, I love the trailers, but I wouldn't say you can compare the two.

Been a while since I've seen a GBII trailer, though. So not sure about the tone there. To YouTube!
Sav C, robbritton liked this
I think you highlight it right there Alpha. I don't think they could make a trailer for the new movie feel like one of the original trailers without bringing in a narrator. Trailer narrators always had such a bold tone (I think there were only a couple of main guys who did it) that it's hard to replicate that feeling in a trailer without having narration.
robbritton liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm If we assume the leak is untrue, and the Ghostbusters closed up shop 30 years ago, then we have to wonder how Egon would have afforded to build an underground lab. I know real estate is a lot less expensive in Oklahoma, but building an underground bunker can't be cheap. Also, why build an underground bunker to begin with?
Let's back up -- we don't know that the lab we saw in the trailer is an underground bunker.

The trailer is edited in a way that suggests it's under that shack, but that might not be the case. Phoebe might just be following a trail. She is wearing the same outfit and still holding the meter between sequences, suggesting it's happening at the same time.

I do think it's likely underground. I also think you're right about the rationale for an investigation going literally underground in a town where a Gozerian temple can be seen on the Sheriff's seal. Makes much more sense to be hidden than advertise. But we don't know for sure, hence my reluctance to build off of that assumption.

We see Phoebe test firing the equipment out at the gas works. The lab could just as easily be at that location. It would certainly have the power infrastructure necessary to run a lab.

And even if it is a secret underground lab... why would that be so hard to believe in a universe where people shoot lasers at ghosts? Consider the first film, and the staggering cost of starting a new business, developing new technology and buying a three story building in New York City on the island of Manhattan. The Ghostbusters couldn't have afforded that with a simple bank loan based on refinancing a mortgage either, but we don't let that hold us up.

And all of the talk about a national franchise ignores Grooberson's "there hasn't been a ghost sighting in thirty years" line. It'd be odd to go national if it was all quiet on the western front as of 1990. The battle with Vigo technically ended January 1st, 1990.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]