Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I can't recall if they mentioned how much they weighed in the films. Going by wiki the props weighed 35 pounds, and in GB:TVG with all the upgrades going by Rays line in the final area weigh 50 pounds. How likely would the teens in the movie be able to not only wear but utilize them effectively? Sure they may pull an Extreme GB and redo the gear with new tech to be smaller, but I'm curious if that doesn't happen how well they could wield the packs.
EddieSpenser liked this
Peter has a way of exaggerating, though. Maybe they don’t weigh as much as he was playing it up to be.

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere that a teenager’s backpack probably doesn’t weigh a whole lot less than a proton pack at times. My 11 year old is in 6th grade, doesn’t have a locker, and carries all his books, laptop, and lunch around on his back all day. Just a thought.
McCrea, zeta otaku, deadderek and 4 others liked this
Michael Scott wrote: December 20th, 2019, 1:02 pm Peter has a way of exaggerating, though. Maybe they don’t weigh as much as he was playing it up to be.

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere that a teenager’s backpack probably doesn’t weigh a whole lot less than a proton pack at times. My 11 year old is in 6th grade, doesn’t have a locker, and carries all his books, laptop, and lunch around on his back all day. Just a thought.
This. I had to carry EVERYTHING around with me in highschool. It's not a huge leap in logic to assume a teenager can manage a proton pack.
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia liked this
Michael Scott wrote: December 20th, 2019, 1:02 pm Peter has a way of exaggerating, though. Maybe they don’t weigh as much as he was playing it up to be.

Oh god when I was in high school in the early 2000s my pack was 50 pounds some days.
Submitted for consideration...

I first posted this video in 2013.

It depicts my son Zak, about one month shy of his eleventh birthday, insisting on wearing MY proton pack at an event where he got to meet Robin Shelby and Ernie Hudson for the second time each.

https://youtu.be/9qicnebUG6Q

The pack is constructed of fiberglas and aluminum, real crank knob, real resistors, real Clippards, etc. -- as many real parts as I could source. Only the Legris pieces were resin copies. I later upgraded this resin gun to a metal one as well.

Approximate weight of pack: thirty pounds.

He's leaning forward at the waist slightly to adjust the offset center of gravity, but doesn't show any visible signs of struggling.

He would often beg to wear it at events after I grew tired of the weight. He'd generally wear it for a good half an hour before beginning to show signs of fatigue, at which time I would insist he take it off, despite him wanting to keep it on.

And for anyone worried about long-term back problems for my kids, don't fret: When I eventually built my sons their own packs, I went with 80% shells and much lighter materials, like PVC for the cylindrical pieces and Sintra for the motherboards.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on December 22nd, 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to the thread question is no. Next topic please.
Last edited by deadderek on December 20th, 2019, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotSabbat liked this
Could a teen wear a fifty pound pack? Yes. One of the Portland Ghostbusters was a teen when he wore my old wood and metal pack around a convention. It weighed almost half as much as he did, but he still wore it.

I doubt they'd be able to run with a pack on, but that might be why we have the gunner seat scene.

Besides, if I can accept ghosts, proton streams and little boxes that can contain a ghost while being a fraction of the size of the device that lassoed the ghost, and a 100-ft marshmallow man... why not suspend disbelief when seeing a kid lug a pack around?
hutto wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am Three grown men could barely handle throwing streams at the Segwick. A 12 year old girl becomes a pro.
... We forgetting how much stuff Pheobe blasts to shit whilst in Wrecto-1's gunner seat?
zeta otaku, Alphagaia, robbritton and 4 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am
hutto wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am Three grown men could barely handle throwing streams at the Segwick. A 12 year old girl becomes a pro.
... We forgetting how much stuff Pheobe blasts to shit whilst in Wrecto-1's gunner seat?
We should all know by now logic is not allowed when one wants to complain based upon little information.
Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am
To be fair I don't think you can compare the two.

Only as logically if ghostbusters 2 had the turtle van seat then the normal busters would find it hard to even though they'd perfected it by the end of the first film. As you are moving at same time as target.

The real test will be standing. If they do.
I used to work on a farm when I was 11. If I could shear a sheep, they can carry a proton pack.
I never used my lockers in JR High or High school and carried all my books and supplies in my backpack walking over a mile to and from school pretty much every day :whatever:

I tried doing this again last year when i was taking some classes at my local community collage and my backpack didnt weigh nearly as much as it did in JHS & HS and probly only had to walk 1/2 the distance from the back of the parking lot to my classrooms (Im 38 now) Wasnt such a good idea lol my back was not happy at all!!!

If anything Its easier doing it when younger! :P
Alex Newborn, Kingpin liked this
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I carried a lot of books around highschool too but we weren't allowed to use our backpacks except for coming to school and going home, as well as being forced to use seethrough ones. This was around the time of Columbine and our School made some rules they enforced due to it. I'd be happy with them not updating the gear like Extreme Ghostbusters. Didn't care for the look of the equipment in that, nor cared much for the look of the 2016 stuff. Why mess with a classic? Plus the old makeshift look stands out even more in such a modern age which was always one of the things I loved about their packs.

Thinking about it I know the packs have a half-life of 5,000 years, but how long will they last period? Like wouldn't they have to run out of juice at some point from simply using them?
Yeah that picture was released recently of that young girl (pre teen?) firing the proton pack.

Don’t know what to think of that one.

I don’t remember where but throughout the past 2 decades the canon weight of 55lbs is stuck in my head for some reason.

The movie fiberglass prop would obviously be lighter but in universe it’s supposed to be a completely metal nuclear accelerator. Having pre teen kids firing it kind of cheapens its supposedly “insane” aspect in my opinion.
SSJmole liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]