Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I have to say I absolutely love that Jason went back and found old unused footage that was filmed when his Dad was making the first film and then use it the way he has in Afterlife. We only see a brief clip in the trailer, but from what little we have seen, I think works really well.

I really like the idea of having these new young characters watch the original team in the streets via a YouTube video showing old News footage from the time, to get an idea of who these guys were and what all this old tech laying around was for. It's subtle but seems to work so well.

It also got me wondering if Afterlife will have any other scenes showing moments from the past in it. I get the feeling there won't be many, but I wonder if they'll do any kind of recreated footage using CGI or something.

For example, I have a feeling Paul Rudds character, Mr Gooberson, was in New York when Stay Puft was manifested and he was one of the many people to see him stomping down the street in person. I can imagine a scene showing a young kid Gooberson in the back of a typical New York taxi from the 80's, looking in horror and amazement at what he's seeing and us seeing a reflection of Stay Puft in the his window. Just a random thought I had.
Kingpin, robbritton, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
Wafflerobot wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 11:09 pm I have to say I absolutely love that Jason went back and found old unused footage that was filmed when his Dad was making the first film and then use it the way he has in Afterlife. We only see a brief clip in the trailer, but from what little we have seen, I think works really well.

I really like the idea of having these new young characters watch the original team in the streets via a YouTube video showing old News footage from the time, to get an idea of who these guys were and what all this old tech laying around was for. It's subtle but seems to work so well.

It also got me wondering if Afterlife will have any other scenes showing moments from the past in it. I get the feeling there won't be many, but I wonder if they'll do any kind of recreated footage using CGI or something.

For example, I have a feeling Paul Rudds character, Mr Gooberson, was in New York when Stay Puft was manifested and he was one of the many people to see him stomping down the street in person. I can imagine a scene showing a young kid Gooberson in the back of a typical New York taxi from the 80's, looking in horror and amazement at what he's seeing and us seeing a reflection of Stay Puft in the his window. Just a random thought I had.
I also just had a thought that maybe Grooberson has one of the magazines from the first movie's montage. That would also be cool.
Wafflerobot liked this
Bison256 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Michael Scott wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm I still say that’s the Ray Parker Jr music video thumbnail in the bottom right corner when Grooberson shows them the old footage. If so, I’d say it was pretty popular in universe at least for a time.

Cute easter egg, the commercial from the first movie is the thumb nail above above the music video.
Almost! It’s a publicity shot of Bill and Dan outside the firehouse.

The full RPJ video can’t be canon, as it features clips from the film. It’d be cute if they released a re-edited video with the film clips removed.
Wafflerobot wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 11:09 pmFor example, I have a feeling Paul Rudds character, Mr Gooberson, was in New York when Stay Puft was manifested and he was one of the many people to see him stomping down the street in person. I can imagine a scene showing a young kid Gooberson in the back of a typical New York taxi from the 80's, looking in horror and amazement at what he's seeing and us seeing a reflection of Stay Puft in the his window. Just a random thought I had.
The Entertainment Weekly article that came out when the first trailer screenshots did explicitly says Paul Rudd's character was a kid in New York in '84. How official that is, I don't know, but it's definitely in the air!
https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/06/ghostb ... t-details/
Wafflerobot liked this
It wouldn't be difficult to shoot a flashback scene with a kid Grooberson being menaced by a ghost, only to have a flash of light and a trap roll into the scene. Cut to a shot of the Ghostbusters using doubles in jumpsuits shot from 5-year old height looking up without seeing the faces of actors. Use some audio pulled from old dailies to suggest it's the original crew. Cut to a scene of Ecto-1 driving away from the call.

Voila. Flashback scene without having to digitally de-age anyone and suggests a deep connection for the character.
Wafflerobot liked this
tylergfoster, robbritton, SpaceBallz and 3 others liked this
groschopf wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:45 am It wouldn't be difficult to shoot a flashback scene with a kid Grooberson being menaced by a ghost, only to have a flash of light and a trap roll into the scene. Cut to a shot of the Ghostbusters using doubles in jumpsuits shot from 5-year old height looking up without seeing the faces of actors. Use some audio pulled from old dailies to suggest it's the original crew. Cut to a scene of Ecto-1 driving away from the call.

Voila. Flashback scene without having to digitally de-age anyone and suggests a deep connection for the character.
Grooberson is such an interesting wildcard for this movie. As opposed to the kids meeting Ray directly (something like The Force Awakens), we get someone who was a periphery witness during the 80s. That is so unbelievably cool, and a perspective we haven't seen yet. To me Ghostbusters is such a wide palette that I hope Junior (or Juno) Reitman uses accordingly from Ghostbusters II. The grabber ghost is supposedly based on the Kenner toy that came with the Venkman figure, so it seems like they've done a ton of research for this one.
deadderek wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:15 am Bill Murray CONFIRMED!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... JN08Q__IWg
Not only that, but he made the journalist put on a proton pack that was on set next to him. I think he straps it on for a final battle.
Bison256 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:28 am Did they film a scene outside the "destroyed" fire house, but cut it from the final film?
Nope, they just took a promo shot during the filming of the scene where the GBs are arrested!
Rereading the piece, and my thought is that the wording in the Vanity Fair article suggests the original cast might be separated from one another in unexpected ways. Not necessarily precluding a reunion, but I definitely don't think it's going to follow the trajectory we might expect.

"Various times," "over the span of a week," and "each has a meaningful role" suggest that the characters were approached in the screenplay almost individually, to give their presence separate meaning, in a way that will be far more organic and unexpected than "they pop up together at the end."

Another strike against that "leak," IMO. All of the "leaks" have this problem: they're written like plots, not stories. The characters are all essentially functional, as if the when and where are all that matter and not how or why. The gang popping up to help at the last minute has no arc, no emotion outside of nostalgia.

Also, like I said: Breznican says what he's allowed to say, but knows much more.
Kingpin liked this
Yeah that's what I read into it as well. Hearing that they were only filming on set off and on for a week unfortunately makes it sound like they won't have a ton of screen time, but it's possible that their presence will be spread throughout a number of different scenes. That could certainly help make it feel like they are in more of the film. After all, Anthony Hopkins only had about 14 minutes of screen time in Silence of the Lambs but the character is definitely felt throughout the film.

It's also sure starting to sound like we won't be getting a surprise appearance from Rick Moranis unless they somehow have kept that a major secret. But I doubt he would be filming separately from the rest of the original cast.
moviemaker29 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 8:43 am Yeah that's what I read into it as well. Hearing that they were only filming on set off and on for a week unfortunately makes it sound like they won't have a ton of screen time, but it's possible that their presence will be spread throughout a number of different scenes. That could certainly help make it feel like they are in more of the film. After all, Anthony Hopkins only had about 14 minutes of screen time in Silence of the Lambs but the character is definitely felt throughout the film.

It's also sure starting to sound like we won't be getting a surprise appearance from Rick Moranis unless they somehow have kept that a major secret. But I doubt he would be filming separately from the rest of the original cast.
Hit the nail on the head with the Silence of the Lambs with Hannibal comparison. So many people think he gets more screen time than he actually does. It's amazing.
tylergfoster, Corey91 liked this
Breznican says this was a week before Murray’s birthday, which is September 21. The pictures of Murray, Aykroyd, and Weaver at the restaurant together started popping up on or around September 14, possibly the same day the scene in the story is shot. Y’all may be right about them coming into the movie one at a time, which makes sense, but there’s plenty of evidence they were all on hand together at one time and could appear in the movie as such. Don’t forget the 35th anniversary screening intro had all 3 guys together in the cave.

I’m not proclaiming a back in the saddle finale, but dots can be connected to put them in town for shooting together.
deadderek, SpaceBallz, pizzarat and 1 others liked this
Michael Scott wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:06 am Breznican says this was a week before Murray’s birthday, which is September 21. The pictures of Murray, Aykroyd, and Weaver at the restaurant together started popping up on or around September 14, possibly the same day the scene in the story is shot. Y’all may be right about them coming into the movie one at a time, which makes sense, but there’s plenty of evidence they were all on hand together at one time and could appear in the movie as such. Don’t forget the 35th anniversary screening intro had all 3 guys together in the cave.

I’m not proclaiming a back in the saddle finale, but dots can be connected to put them in town for shooting together.
Sure. I feel pretty confident that the movie would not deprive us of at least one reunion scene between the three living Ghostbusters, I'm just saying I think this is not going to be compartmentalized.
Michael Scott, Sav C liked this
Anthony Breznican’s Twitter profile pic gives us a look at the pack he wore while interviewing Bill. Seems to have a slightly new look to the wand and GB1 placement for the V hook: https://mobile.twitter.com/Breznican/photo

Also lots of blue screen stuff going on in the background, by the looks of things.

Last edited by robbritton on January 23rd, 2020, 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
pizzarat, mrmichaelt liked this
In the pic I posted...anyone else notice the 2 dogs? One on the chair and one on the far left...1
moviemaker29 wrote:Here's the photo from the set. Interesting that they recreated the outside of the farmhouse. I guess we'll be seeing some apocalyptic imagery on that blue screen.
Interesting. It looks like the handle where the hose connects is extended further out than what is on the original packs. I wonder if that has a functional purpose in this film? There is also the neon yellow cable that runs alongside the ribbon cable, which can be seen in the photo of McKenna Grace firing the pack in the Vanity Fair Article. I wonder what the purpose of this cable might be.

Very exciting stuff! I hope we get a new trailer soon!
moviemaker29 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 8:43 am Yeah that's what I read into it as well. Hearing that they were only filming on set off and on for a week unfortunately makes it sound like they won't have a ton of screen time, but it's possible that their presence will be spread throughout a number of different scenes. That could certainly help make it feel like they are in more of the film. After all, Anthony Hopkins only had about 14 minutes of screen time in Silence of the Lambs but the character is definitely felt throughout the film.

I read that as more of they all popped in to shoot during the week that he (the journalist) was on set? Maybe that's an optimistic take!
The article certainly makes it sound like Moranis won't be returning. That's a shame. Considering Callie inherits the farm house from her father (or father-in-law), there's certainly Tax and Probate law that would come into play, which was Louis Tully's primary practice areas. I could envision a scene where Callie gets this eviction notice and has no idea what she is going to do. Then Louis shows up out of nowhere and starts explaining that she inherited this property in Oklahoma, and then goes into painful detail about intestate law and the Uniform Probate Code, similar to his "Ted and Annett Flemming monologue" in GB1.
pizzarat liked this
Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]