Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
rockstar232007 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:49 am
Lowberg wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:46 pmImage

Just an observation, looks like they went with the Sony Lobby 'Super Hero' pack style mounting for the shell (no bolt on the corner of the pack) Also looks like they are using the big hex nut on the dale resistor. If I'm not mistaken that was never on a movie pack, but was commonly used on fan made packs for some reason.
My only peeve is, if a fully grown man has issues with the weight of the proton packs, how are we supposed to believe kids are not going have issues with them?

:cool:
Do you have kids? Never underestimate the willingness of a kid... if they want to wear it, they will hehe
back, Namssorg, simcarr and 1 others liked this
I'm just glad to see the Ecto being used as more than just transport and is actually part of the action. With all that equipment inside and on the roof I felt it never really got a chance to showcase much.

I think the shot of the proton pack on the bench is a nod to the scene from GB1 where Egon is in the firehouse eating Chinese food and tweaking a neutrona wand at the table. It stands to reason that the equipment would need repair/adjustment/maintenance from time to time. The pack on the table looks to either be in the process of being built or is partially torn apart for repair/maintenance as not only is there no bumper but loose wire ends appear to be hanging from some of the loom tubing.
roopjm, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Coover5 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:10 am How about a pic of the pack laying on the table?

Interesting to see that one didn't have a bumper but the one McKenna Grace uses does. Either there are two packs or she fixes one. Interesting either way.
I'm going with theres more than one Pack there, ok so she could have worked out how to install the bumper and then add the straps that are also missing from the table top pack I'd like to think there was another one she just picked up... Reason is why not, it would show that he was tinkering and doing maintenance with that one and for whatever reason he didn't get round to finishing up before he passed away.
ThePinkGhostbuster wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:14 am Here ya go :) Table shots of the proton pack.. and I increased the brightness from the trailer.
Great photos, looking forward to seeing more photos of this thing... While Lowberg is right and the original packs didn't have the hex bolt its something I have tbh been toying with adding to my Pack when I finally get to building it.
SPJ liked this
back wrote: December 11th, 2019, 7:47 am I wonder how many of Us 'Nerds' they (Ghost Corps) 'recruited' to avoid the Internet from getting angry with prop inaccuracies, etc lol ....Made by the Fans, For the Fans?Image
I think it is easy enough to say to just about any inconsistency or change that the gear evolved over time. I can't imagine that new year's day of 1990 they just locked everything up. Even if there were no more ghosts for 30 years, they wouldn't have known that in the months following Vigo. They would've likely tried to sustain the business and continue developing their craft.

Ecto an be a tricky subject based on the fact that there were two different cars in 84 and 89. It would make sense that they would take the 89 car and update that, so there is a potential plot point issue there.

I also think it is super easy to say that Ego kept and worked on things in OK in order to be prepared for any future events...and out of boredom, or depression, etc.
back liked this
back wrote: December 11th, 2019, 7:47 am I wonder how many of Us 'Nerds' they (Ghost Corps) 'recruited' to avoid the Internet from getting angry with prop inaccuracies, etc lol ....Made by the Fans, For the Fans?Image
Interesting you say this. Ok now this is totally a hunch based on 1 picture, but I believe that Sony is using the Anovo's Spengler Legacy castings for the basis of the packs in Afterlife. Think about it. Sony officially licenced Anovos to produce replicas. All the sudden a few years ago, they decide to let Vincenzo330 and Sean Bishop disassemble the Sony Lobby Hero pack, and create molds of every part for what Anovos called the "Spengler Legacy Pack". That project seemed to be shrouded in much secrecy, with Sean and Vince apparently not being allowed to release any detailed photos of the process. Many people criticized the name "Spengler Legacy Pack" saying it wasn't technically the Spengler pack, but this would make a lot more sense if the purpose of the project was to create molds to be used in Afterlife. Also like Gozerhead mentioned, having fan experts create the props is not unheard of. StarWars used members from the R2D2 Builders Club to create the hero R2 for Force Awakens.

Anyways I base this hunch off the following picture, You can see a dimple on the 2nd power cell rib where a mounting hole was filled in on the creation of the Anovos Spengler Legacy Pack. This dimple can be seen on the "Workbench" scene of the Afterlife Trailer.

Just a theory I have....I doubt Vince or Sean could confirm if they indeed did work on the film due to NDA's and such. We will just have to find out :)
countspatula, back, below_radar_00 and 1 others liked this
That makes a lot of sense, Lowberg and wouldn't surprise me at all if they were involved, given their expertise.

It would certainly make more sense to use the preexisting anovos mould or mould a casting taken from it in order to make a production mould specifically for the movie rsther than go through the time and expense of subjecting the Super Hero pack to another disassembly.

Just to throw out another possibility.
We know that a certain other workshop was given access to the Super Hero pack in order to reference it for the movie.
As they posted the infamous insta pics which were quickly taken down which show them posing with the super hero and performing an extreme patina test on some replica injectors.
I won't post the pics as AJ has previously asked that they not be shared here.

It's unclear whether they simply used it purely as reference or if they took moulds themselves.

RedSpecial wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm It's unclear whether they simply used it purely as reference or if they took moulds themselves.
I would. Come on!! Its like a stranger telling me to hang onto a suitcase of 10 million dollars that 5 minutes Prior hit on my wife, at the airport when Im on vacation, and were about to leave the country.... Yea, Im mailing back the contents of the 'suitcase' home in about 1000 envelopes LOL
BUT, thats me.
Sean & Vincenzo330 (with many other respectable others) are well respected proppers here, have been for YEARS... And I really dont think they'd Re-cast it.... Unless there job required them to do so.
Thats a hell of an eye Lowberg!
RedSpecial wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm Just to throw out another possibility.
We know that a certain other workshop was given access to the Super Hero pack in order to reference it for the movie.
As they posted the infamous insta pics which were quickly taken down which show them posing with the super hero and performing an extreme patina test on some replica injectors.
I won't post the pics as AJ has previously asked that they not be shared here.
I forgot about that picture, I never saw the injector picture but I did see the one with the guys posing with the pack.

It does make a lot of sense that they would use the Anovos molds, for a variety of reasons. Doesn't get more accurate than 1st gen molds of a hero pack and who better to hire than guys who have lots of experience molding and manufacturing proton packs to create the masters.

The Afterlife packs definitely aren't all Spengler Legacy parts (You can see in the other screenshot they are using a'normal' style booster tube, not the 'sunken top' booster tube style that's on the Sony Lobby Hero). The shell though definitely is, i'd put money on it. Also... this may explain why we haven't seen any Spengler Legacy packs be delivered by Anovos in over 2 years yet :lol:
Oh I'm not a acusing them of recasting, Back.
I wouldn't dream of it.

But if Sony themselves had tasked them with producing a mould from whatever master had been pulled from the anovos mould instead of another teardown of the pack itself, then I don't think that would qualify anyway :)
Who knows what legal hurdles are in place when it comes to the rights of the Anovos mould itself and whether it's Sony or anovos who actually owns it. .
I know in the past, I've retained rights to moulds on a project.
I don't have the right to produce castings as the client owns the design but I retained the right to own the mould itself for archival purposes, should the client need to purchase future castings.

I'd be really conflicted.
I'd love to take moulds if I had a fancy workshop with all the materials on hand to do so, along with permission but I'd also kind of hate taking the pack apart to do it.

back liked this
WShawn wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm But the biggest change is it looks like they've added additional lights to the tips and undersides of the wings. At first I thought it might be a light leak, but there's definitely some new light nubs that aren't on the original.
As Egon said in TVG, "These readings are off the charts, now I have to make new charts." Maybe new charts turned into an expanded PKE, lol
RedSpecial wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:36 am Oh I'm not a acusing them of recasting, Back.
I wouldn't dream of it.
LOL.... My ghostbusting Friend, No.... Not what I meant, IF the job entailed them to recast FOR Sony/Ghost Corps (not for themselves) as a Last Resort... ....I wouldnt ever dream Sean or any of the old Proptopia/RPF crew of recasting either. :)
And btw, is it just me or did I see a Pile of Legris Elbows in the trailer next to the pack?Image
Yeah I count 3 different packs assuming that the one that she is using isn't the one she finds on the table, but just fixed up. Taking that into consideration there is the Pack gutted on the table with the missing parts, the pack that Grace dawns and uses in the international trailer, and the pack strapped to the gunner seat. I must say weather or not the 2009 video game is canon it feels like a nice Easter Egg with the gutted proton pack on a table. I say this because if you play the game if you go to where the containment unit is you can see a gutted proton pack on a table as well. Of course it isn't really an Easter Egg with the game in all of the Ghostbusters movies including the reboot you can see equipment in various stages of development on work desks all the time, i.e. In the first Ghostbusters Movie The Throwers that you can see when there interviewing Dana, the Thrower being worked on before they went to bust Slimer, in Ghostbusters 2 when they were doing the experiment with the slime you can see part of the Slime Blower on the table. So I guess having equipment just spread out on tables is just very common place for Ghostbusters. ;):):):)
tulsaecto1 liked this
I'm gonna have to agree that this was a new pack that Egon was working on. Notice the extra tube joining the ribbon cable in the clamp, it's in the same shot when she test fires it except its glowing green now in that scene. Would explain why the proton stream is purple too.
This Post Contains Spoilers
countspatula, back, pizzarat liked this
RedSpecial wrote: December 12th, 2019, 3:12 pm The yellow wiring looks as if it's disconnected at one end.
It also seems to consist of three parts.
A central wire (or wires) , a coiled black covering then what looks like a frayed fabric covering for the yellow section.

The black covering is called Spiral Wire Wrap, Yellow stuff is Braided Cable Sleeve.
Egon must have decided he needed a way to do software updates on the proton packs LOL

I just bought some so I'll let you guys know how it looks when I get it all haha
Ah right, that's really cool.
Thanks for the insight.

I wonder if there will be an explanation for exactly what the upgdate was in the movie.

It makes sense that it was maybe being tuned for lack of a better term which the kids obviously wouldn't know how to do.
Which would also explain why the beams look so wild with the added purple hue to the arcing and the fractured look of the orange core instead of the more solid looking tube of rubberised light look that they have in the original movies.

Maybe after sitting unused in the case of the gunner seat and only being partially assembled with the lab pack they were in need of some adjustments to dial in the stream but the kids were able to just get them working enough without realising that they weren't operating as they should be.

groschopf wrote: December 12th, 2019, 3:21 pm Is Paul Rudd trying to use a car to jumpstart the ghost trap or the other way around?

Looks like he's grounded a set of jumper cables on the trap handle and hooked the hot clamp to the pedal cord port.

Boosting your car with a Ghost Trap or Charging said Trap with your car? Result is something like this:
groschopf, SPJ liked this
Looking over countspatula's 4k screen grabs, in the proton stream test shots it looks like the new Data Cable is actually 2 wires, either red and white or red and black, inside the black cable wrap. When you zoom in on the workbench scene the end of this connector looks to be something else than an Ethernet connector. I'd like to think they would be more clever than that anyways

RedSpecial, back liked this
Lowberg wrote: December 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm Looking over countspatula's 4k screen grabs, in the proton stream test shots it looks like the new Data Cable is actually 2 wires, either red and white or red and black, inside the black cable wrap. When you zoom in on the workbench scene the end of this connector looks to be something else than an Ethernet connector. I'd like to think they would be more clever than that anyways

And They thought that Us Nerds WOULDNT notice ...Silly rabbit. Half-fast jobs are for Recasters. ;)
But then again, perhaps the Ethernet line serves a purpose?Image
RedSpecial wrote: December 14th, 2019, 4:17 am Zooming in on that pic the end of the inner wires look like brass pins arranged in a circle.
Hard to say for sure though.
There seems to be some sort of housing around them too.
Well, we cant rule out a number of different styles of Push-Pin Co-axle lines....
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
http://deeptech.se/products/micro-wet-c ... onnectors/
There are notches on them allowing light through, so its a possibility Not to be ruled out.
EDIT:
Its looking like a 16ohm Female push-pin Guitar/Mic connector... but NORMALLY those are Insulated... & not usually cheap looking... just hard as hell to find a Size (diameter) match.
Last edited by back on December 14th, 2019, 5:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
RedSpecial, groschopf liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]