Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
outatimeecto wrote: December 11th, 2019, 8:17 pm Anyone else spy the Radiation red sign from the GBs room at the University? I know the orange machine has been discussed but in the same trailer scene, it look like it could be the same sign.

I do hope they don't completely ignore GB2. I am still being cautious in how I approach this. My biggest fear is that it will turn into Superman Returns. Superman Returns trailer had so many hall marks to the Donner film (s -credit where credit is due). It looked like it was going to be an honest to goodness years later return to the universe I grew up and loved. The trailer for Superman Returns gave me chills, the images of that John Barry world of Krypton. The hallmarks to the original John Williams score. It seemed like it was brewing to be what I had wanted. Then when the movie came out and I watched it, I felt some of the excitement that I was watching the next chapter of the world I loved but then the movie just didn't carry the torch right. They tried hard to make it look back without moving forward, and since the looking back truly wasn't the same world it didn't work. They also decided to ignore the third and fourth films.

Now we do still have many of the original actors and actresses from the original world so in that regard a true passing of the torch would work. I am very curious to find out how the OGs really work into this film.
Superman Returns is a movie I really, really disliked. It's up there with Lost World: Jurassic Park, the Vacation reboot, and more recently Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which was so terrible that I couldn't finish it.
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:30 pm So, here are my 2 cents as an OG Ghostbusters fan.

While I fully admit that I'm not as "die hard" as some of you, having said that I'm still pretty serious about GB. I represent the section of the fandom that knows and LOVES GB1 and 2 inside and out, and as such they are the only true canon. Yes I loved RGB, TVG, and enjoyed EGB they were great for what they were. But at the end of the day they are not, nor should be considered canon. I say this because, while I understand some of you really love the comic books and the game, at the end of the day they exist in their own universe, and should remain as such. Much like RGB and EGB exist within their own universe, it doesnt mean they are not good or can't be enjoyed, but they are separate from the film series. I say this because I feel a lot of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment when it come to the video game. Look, when it seemed like it was ONLY GB3 we were going to get... I was ALL for it being the "3rd" film. But now given we ARE getting a 3rd film, it's more of an "off shoot" alt. Universe story now, and I think we should all be ok with that. Given the way it appears Afterlife is going to unfold (Shandor, Gozer, Terror dogs, etc), I think it's pretty obvious Afterlife and the video game can NOT exist within the same universe. Despite the fact that I DO really like the video game, story wise it's never worked well as a film if we are honest with ourselves. Too many boss battles, too much action, too much go here then go there. Why? Because it's a video game not a movie. Could certain aspects of it be worked into a possible film? Yes. But not without some major story cuts. Plus let us NOT forget, it basically ruins the Peter/Dana story. That's reason enough for it to be viewed as an alt timeline story.

I say this not just in regards to the video game, but also because of Answer the Call. I understand that a lot of you guys on here have latched onto that film for whatever reasons, and more power to you. I'm not going to tell you what to like or dislike, nor am I going to pretend some hate doesnt exist because of that film. But I can only speak for myself, and others that I've spoke to that share these thoughts... But that film to me is a complete abomination. I could go on and on about all the problems I feel it has, but the bottom line is it feels like a parody GB film. Like the Scary Movie films are to Scream. I bring this up because some of the comments some of you are reading on other forums in regards ATC (on the Afterlife trailer, etc) is because people dislike that film SO MUCH. I firmly believe that most of the hate that film Carries is NOT sexism, but just straight up hate towards the film period. It was a film NOBODY asked for and NOBODY wanted. I say this from personal experience. I have no problem with women Ghostbusters, I have a problem with a remake that erased 1 and 2 and was filled with fart joke humor. It didnt respect or honor the original films, and was made by people that had no right making a GB film to begin with. So when you read comments in Afterlife by people taking shots at ATC, its because that film caused such disdain for so many fans of the original films. Fans that might not come on forums like this, but fans that grew up with Ghostbusters. You might disagree, but its these fans that made Ghostbusters popular to begin with, and its fans Afterlife HAS to win back if Ghostbusters is going to have a future.

Having said that, I personally can accept Answer the Calls "place" within the Ghostbusters universe now, thanks to Afterlife. It's just another alt timeline Ghostbusters story, and that's where it belongs. People that love it, can still enjoy it. Just like you can still enjoy RGB or TVG. It's no longer considered canon (but it never should have been considered canon to begin with), but as I've said other popular mediums within the universe are no longer canon either. As of now GB, GB2 and GB Afterlife are the official canon, and hopefully Afterlife will produce more sequels that will also be canon.
The game should not be considered canon? Doesn't work with Afterlife? Why is that? And why are you saying the video game isn't canon like you're the one that makes those decisions? I don't recall hearing anybody that matters saying the game is out of canon.

This is your opinion, not fact. You shouldn't make it sound like its fact. It told a good story and had the entire original cast back. Good enough for me.

Also, things don't have to be films to be considered canon. Broaden your horizons.
Last edited by LawgSkrak on December 12th, 2019, 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
deadderek liked this
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:02 pm The problem I have with spoiler that Kingpin just posted is where are the OG's? We already know they are in it.
I still doubt it's even a spoiler. The first "leak" has been thoroughly discredited, and the second is leaking water like Swiss cheese despite the revision it's gotten.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:15 pmHere's the one on Facebook. It is close to unreadable, formatting/spelling-wise. I'm not gonna fix it.
Hah, oh wow. It suddenly gets so detailed with regard to the plot yet it remains so vague about anyone's actual name (as well as remaining vague on certain plot points). It even leaves out the names we do know to hide the fact the remaining characters have not been named, or are invented.

I'm still happy to call it terror dog shit at this point. :)
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
timeware wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm So whoever has the video game rights should already be well into development. I would assume they'll be building off the GtVG engine.
Nice I didn't know they were doing a new one.
Is there actually a new one in development, or are we just assuming there is? I'd rather not have an immediate tie-in game be released due to the common occurrance of film release tie-ins usually being poor due to the short gestation period.
deadderek, tylergfoster liked this
groschopf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 5:37 pm But I will say this -- Paul Rudd's character sounds a bit like Rhonda the seismologist visiting an old mining town in the film Tremors.

Heh.

Art is the synthesis of everything that came before.
Except that Paul Rudd has legs that go all the way up!
groschopf liked this
Post is a few pages old, but something SSJmole posted gave my brain a mild storm...
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm Except as I said moviemaker29 everything is different. Location , the fact that children not scientists , the tone of trailer was very different , if there's no giant thi g that too.

The original and the 2016 were adults , the original with dealing with stuff like theyd be smoking going down corridors , both had them buying the headquarters , 2016 had the effect on careers. Where the movies enjoyed by kids ? Yes but that's a huge change.

The fact id besides the props and car , nothing felt like ghostbusters at all to me. That is a problem. That's why I mentioned the force awakens comparison is even people on here we're asking for a chewie we're home moment. This was the first trailer

https://youtu.be/erLk59H86ww

Now let's break this down.

Music ? Star wars
Locations? Looked like the star wars locations
Characters ? Look like Star wars characters we'd seen before
The action ? The same Star wars action we came to expect

What did that accomplish? Hyped up the nostalgia and felt like a franchise people loved had returned. That's what people want in sequels from years ago.

Ghostbusters 2 should have evolved it yes. But they want people who loved the original Ghostbusters to go "oh that looks like the thing I loved I should go see that"

Where as what we got in trailer

Music ? Didn't use the main Ghostbusters theme
Locations? Nothing like Ghostbusters
Characters ? Children and nothing like the the characters we know in Ghostbusters
The action ? New with stunt we haven't seen in Ghostbusters before.

If you can take that same trailer remove the props and the car and I wouldn't recognise that is a Ghostbusters trailer and something's gone wrong. You remove those and people would think it's just a stranger things trailer.

If you look at a Star wars trailer and remove the ships and the props like lightsabers and just showed characters talking and locations and the Star wars theme tune. people would still know it was a Star wars movie.

That's the point , it's not appealing to the mainstream demographic that they want let's face it just fans different ones what different things anyway like we're both fans and we both have different stuff so that doesn't work you have to try and get the mainstream especially if you're trying to make this something to reestablish the franchise for a new generation.

So many people I know took their kids to go see Star wars episode 7 , so many people I know who watched Ghostbusters saw trailer and went "meh" that's not what you want

I understand people here will like it and I said if you want to see it go see it if you like it it talk about it and say why you like it. But if you don't like it you should be able to talk to why you don't like it without attacking anyone , I don't like it I want to like the film but that first trailer was a terrible choice in my opinion.

Even more so as the teaser the got everyone excited only showed ecto 1 , proton beams and screamed "this is Ghostbusters" to have people excited for the trailer and then show "this isn't Ghostbusters" it just feels like bad marketing and poor decision making
Now, I truly understand HOW you Could be bummed out dude. New York was/is a big deal, Then. However...
Have you considered running Ghosbusters through some Video Editing Software? Just apply the 'Mirror' function and TADA! Whole New Movie! :D
Now were all happy :D
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
(Sorry, I couldnt resist ;) )
I’ve been watching a bunch of trailer reaction videos on YouTube over the last couple of days. It has been fun to see the response of people that fall all over the Ghostbusters fan spectrum. What I’ve noticed in a lot of these videos is after the first reaction and small discussion, many of them go back and watch it a second time to pick out the details or clarify things. I just think this trailer was masterfully made. It has people asking questions and yet still excited for the parts they do see.
back, Alphagaia, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
LawgSkrak wrote: December 12th, 2019, 1:00 am
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:30 pm So, here are my 2 cents as an OG Ghostbusters fan.

While I fully admit that I'm not as "die hard" as some of you, having said that I'm still pretty serious about GB. I represent the section of the fandom that knows and LOVES GB1 and 2 inside and out, and as such they are the only true canon. Yes I loved RGB, TVG, and enjoyed EGB they were great for what they were. But at the end of the day they are not, nor should be considered canon. I say this because, while I understand some of you really love the comic books and the game, at the end of the day they exist in their own universe, and should remain as such. Much like RGB and EGB exist within their own universe, it doesnt mean they are not good or can't be enjoyed, but they are separate from the film series. I say this because I feel a lot of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment when it come to the video game. Look, when it seemed like it was ONLY GB3 we were going to get... I was ALL for it being the "3rd" film. But now given we ARE getting a 3rd film, it's more of an "off shoot" alt. Universe story now, and I think we should all be ok with that. Given the way it appears Afterlife is going to unfold (Shandor, Gozer, Terror dogs, etc), I think it's pretty obvious Afterlife and the video game can NOT exist within the same universe. Despite the fact that I DO really like the video game, story wise it's never worked well as a film if we are honest with ourselves. Too many boss battles, too much action, too much go here then go there. Why? Because it's a video game not a movie. Could certain aspects of it be worked into a possible film? Yes. But not without some major story cuts. Plus let us NOT forget, it basically ruins the Peter/Dana story. That's reason enough for it to be viewed as an alt timeline story.

I say this not just in regards to the video game, but also because of Answer the Call. I understand that a lot of you guys on here have latched onto that film for whatever reasons, and more power to you. I'm not going to tell you what to like or dislike, nor am I going to pretend some hate doesnt exist because of that film. But I can only speak for myself, and others that I've spoke to that share these thoughts... But that film to me is a complete abomination. I could go on and on about all the problems I feel it has, but the bottom line is it feels like a parody GB film. Like the Scary Movie films are to Scream. I bring this up because some of the comments some of you are reading on other forums in regards ATC (on the Afterlife trailer, etc) is because people dislike that film SO MUCH. I firmly believe that most of the hate that film Carries is NOT sexism, but just straight up hate towards the film period. It was a film NOBODY asked for and NOBODY wanted. I say this from personal experience. I have no problem with women Ghostbusters, I have a problem with a remake that erased 1 and 2 and was filled with fart joke humor. It didnt respect or honor the original films, and was made by people that had no right making a GB film to begin with. So when you read comments in Afterlife by people taking shots at ATC, its because that film caused such disdain for so many fans of the original films. Fans that might not come on forums like this, but fans that grew up with Ghostbusters. You might disagree, but its these fans that made Ghostbusters popular to begin with, and its fans Afterlife HAS to win back if Ghostbusters is going to have a future.

Having said that, I personally can accept Answer the Calls "place" within the Ghostbusters universe now, thanks to Afterlife. It's just another alt timeline Ghostbusters story, and that's where it belongs. People that love it, can still enjoy it. Just like you can still enjoy RGB or TVG. It's no longer considered canon (but it never should have been considered canon to begin with), but as I've said other popular mediums within the universe are no longer canon either. As of now GB, GB2 and GB Afterlife are the official canon, and hopefully Afterlife will produce more sequels that will also be canon.
The game should not be considered canon? Doesn't work with Afterlife? Why is that? And why are you saying the video game isn't canon like you're the one that makes those decisions? I don't recall hearing anybody that matters saying the game is out of canon.

This is your opinion, not fact. You shouldn't make it sound like its fact. It told a good story and had the entire original cast back. Good enough for me.

Also, things don't have to be films to be considered canon. Broaden your horizons.
Actually, I would say it IS pretty much a fact this point. For starters I recall reading somewhere where Jason himself said "what happened in the 80s, happened in the 80s." Not to mention the game takes place in the 90s. Dan has also stated that Afterlife fits in perfectly with the "other 2 films." No mention of the game what so ever. So that's pretty CLEAR that the game is no longer canon.

Further evidence is just plain common sense. This is a big budget release correct? It's only logical to deduce that it will be associated to the other big budget film releases in the franchise. Which The Video Game is not one of those. Furthermore, this film is being made to please the die hard, yes. But it is not made FOR the die hard, it's being made for the general public, first and foremost. Which the general public is quite aware of GB1 (hence it being included in the trailer), GB2 not so much (hence why it is absent), but not the video game at all. Trying to connect events from the video game to events in Afterlife is just going to confuse people. You have to keep things simple, if you over complicate the plot, you lose the general public. That's the main reason why it isnt called GB3, the general public will avoid it unless they are up to date on 1 and 2. Which as I already said, most people ARE aware of 1 already, but your average Joe might not of seen 2 in a long time.

As for your "broaden your horizons" remark, for one that was condescending. For two, it sounds like you are the one that needs to "broaden your horizons." Look at Marvel they have comics, films, animations, etc. The MCU (the films) are only considered canon with the other films (and some tv shows). Comics are separate, animation is separate, video games are seperate, etc. You can't expect the general public to read a comic in order to stay up to date on the overall story. Heck even though they have tv shows in the MCU canon, they are stories meant for the die hards to have some additional "side" adventures. They are NOT necessary information for the main overall film story.

Look the things I said in my original post are logical conclusions that I have made given the information we have (and the things that have been said by those involved). While I agree I did state things "matter of factly," I did so because they ARE pretty much facts at this point. Beyond what I said already in this post, just think about it from a story perspective (one that the general public might understand), if the Ghostbusters ALREADY defeated Shandor in the video game then WHY are they dealing with Shandor related events in Afterlife? It is much more logical to conclude that the video game isnt canon and Afterlife is the TRUE continuation of the Shandor story.
The one thing I disgaree with is what the term "true" continuation. This is just another version of events. For awhile, RGB was the true continuation of the movie, until GB2 was made. Then the video game was the true continuation of GB2, until this movie potentially.

With the comics, everything became canon because of the alternate universe thing.

Also, unless the events of this movie directly contradict the game by saying the Ghostbusters shut down specifically in January 1990, the game can still be canon. Shandor became a God. Much like Gozer, he can come back. Its not like they would need to mention having defeated him before, especially if the original cast isn't in the movie much. Or they could mention it and it won't really confuse the audience as there are plenty of things mentioned in movies that are not always directly explained. Or the main villian may not be Shandor directly, but a contingency plan he set up.

We won't know where the video game ends up until we see the movie. Since the game was remastered, it is readily available for people to pick up and get the background story if they want or just watch the clips online.
MikeyJ122 wrote:
LawgSkrak wrote: December 12th, 2019, 1:00 am The game should not be considered canon? Doesn't work with Afterlife? Why is that? And why are you saying the video game isn't canon like you're the one that makes those decisions? I don't recall hearing anybody that matters saying the game is out of canon.

Actually, I would say it IS pretty much a fact this point. For starters I recall reading somewhere where Jason himself said "what happened in the 80s, happened in the 80s." Not to mention the game takes place in the 90s. Dan has also stated that Afterlife fits in perfectly with the "other 2 films." No mention of the game what so ever. So that's pretty CLEAR that the game is no longer canon.

Further evidence is just plain common sense. This is a big budget release correct? It's only logical to deduce that it will be associated to the other big budget film releases in the franchise. Which The Video Game is not one of those. Furthermore, this film is being made to please the die hard, yes. But it is not made FOR the die hard, it's being made for the general public, first and foremost. Which the general public is quite aware of GB1 (hence it being included in the trailer), GB2 not so much (hence why it is absent), but not the video game at all. Trying to connect events from the video game to events in Afterlife is just going to confuse people. You have to keep things simple, if you over complicate the plot, you lose the general public. That's the main reason why it isnt called GB3, the general public will avoid it unless they are up to date on 1 and 2. Which as I already said, most people ARE aware of 1 already, but your average Joe might not of seen 2 in a long time.

As for your "broaden your horizons" remark, for one that was condescending. For two, it sounds like you are the one that needs to "broaden your horizons." Look at Marvel they have comics, films, animations, etc. The MCU (the films) are only considered canon with the other films (and some tv shows). Comics are separate, animation is separate, video games are seperate, etc. You can't expect the general public to read a comic in order to stay up to date on the overall story. Heck even though they have tv shows in the MCU canon, they are stories meant for the die hards to have some additional "side" adventures. They are NOT necessary information for the main overall film story.

Look the things I said in my original post are logical conclusions that I have made given the information we have (and the things that have been said by those involved). While I agree I did state things "matter of factly," I did so because they ARE pretty much facts at this point. Beyond what I said already in this post, just think about it from a story perspective (one that the general public might understand), if the Ghostbusters ALREADY defeated Shandor in the video game then WHY are they dealing with Shandor related events in Afterlife? It is much more logical to conclude that the video game isnt canon and Afterlife is the TRUE continuation of the Shandor story.
There's footage someplace where Ivan Reitman said the video game is no longer canon. So that issue is put to bed. I would have liked the game to remain canon, but it isn't. I suppose if Afterlife is terrible, we can just disregard it and treat the video game as the true third movie like we have been for the last 10 years. Otherwise, the video game will have to be contained in its own universe, just as RGB/EGB.
MikeyJ122 liked this
Michael Scott wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:49 am I’ve been watching a bunch of trailer reaction videos on YouTube over the last couple of days. It has been fun to see the response of people that fall all over the Ghostbusters fan spectrum. What I’ve noticed in a lot of these videos is after the first reaction and small discussion, many of them go back and watch it a second time to pick out the details or clarify things. I just think this trailer was masterfully made. It has people asking questions and yet still excited for the parts they do see.
I agree. After all, WE are the Market ... And kids, naturally.... But another trend Ive noticed is bashing the 2016 film (which Can be understandable)... most of the reactions were by Much younger crowds that (sadly) seemed bored.
Then again, It is Youtube and they have a habit of censoring search results at times. :/
deadderek liked this

JonXCTrack wrote:There's footage someplace where Ivan Reitman said the video game is no longer canon. So that issue is put to bed. I would have liked the game to remain canon, but it isn't. I suppose if Afterlife is terrible, we can just disregard it and treat the video game as the true third movie like we have been for the last 10 years. Otherwise, the video game will have to be contained in its own universe, just as RGB/EGB.
Oh, if they already said the movie is out of continuity then that's that. Oh well. That's too bad because it was a pretty strong story. This also means that they can totally take any plot points they want to from the game.
After watching the trailer for the 20th time, I had a new thought.

The trap emits a green glow, and then Grooberson drops it. People have been assuming the ghost that the kids are chasing in the Ecto-1 is the ghost inside of the trap. I don't think that's correct. The ghost that is being chased is more of a blue color. So with that in mind, perhaps the ghost in the trap is Slimer after all, and we've just been led to believe otherwise because of the editing of the trailer.

Another thought: There's a scene when Callie is cutting Trevor's hair. In that scene, in the left part of the foreground, there is a table with a framed photograph on it. The image is hard to make out, but it appears to me that there is some red and white stripes in it. I'm wondering if it's a photo of Trevor and Phoebe's father with an American flag backdrop. Perhaps he was in the military and was killed in action. That would explain why he isn't around. Trevor would have been born about 16 years ago, which is when the US first went into Afghanistan and Iraq post 9/11. There's also a scene where Phoebe says, "It's just my mom." Maybe Callie isn't Egon's daughter, but daughter-in-law. Maybe she never met Egon, and her late husband never shared anything about Egon because he thought he was crazy. Egon, still being a good person, left his farm to his son, but his son died in action, so the property would then go to his wife per the rules set forth in the Uniform Probate Code (and this would be a perfect place for Louis Tully to show up, if Moranis were so inclined to make an appearance).
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 5:24 pm
I think it just boils down to what people want. The certain recognisable elements too different people. The new trailer just doesn't have them for me on a personal level. However I do have faith the second one could and I really hope it does.
My struggle with several of your gripes is suggesting that the trailer isn't GB enough. The first 30s establish the basic plot and new characters, which is definitely around the fact that there is a re-discovery of the GBs and paranormal activity. It makes total sense that that wouldn't be in your face GB. The next 20s establish the problem.

By 53s, there is a musical cue from the old score, and EVERYTHING after that has a direct connect to established GB84/89 lore. The music, the visuals, the voice over, the action....EVERYTHING is direct fan service.

Regardless of how much involvement there is from the original cast, which we know that there is at least some, why does that need to be in our face in the first trailer? We know that there will be additional trailers and TV spots between now and the summer. There will be toy fares and movie tie-ins, all of which will inevitably spoil huge parts of the movie to some extent.

If someone wants to say that the trailer wasn't funny, and GB was funny, I can accept that. However, in the original movies, only three (maybe four if you count Louis) people were funny. Peter, Ray, and Ego were funny, but the rest of the people in the universe played it straight. The humor was also witty, and not slap stick or in your face. In fact, many of the jokes were over the heads of many kids.

Overall, I think the trailer tries to embrace the fact that it is 2019 and this movie is coming out in 2020, both as a piece of art and something intended to generate revenue. It is paying homage to the original movies with showing the connection to the movies as well as the film work of that time period (there is a Spielberg/Amblin vibe). It also is self aware of the 2016 movie and that it is a franchise intended to generate some significant mainstream appeal.

My final .02 this morning is that Ghostbusters, as a logo and song, is super embedded within our culture. Slimer and Stay Puft are pretty recognizable too. As a modern property, though, it is not a huge franchise like Star Wars. I don't think that or even Jurassic Park are always the best comparisons. GB is smaller. There is a lot of pressure, I am sure, to not only make a great movie, but to make GB big enough to be a sustainable franchise. It will never be on par, though, with something like Star Wars or Marvel.
back, Wafflerobot, moviemaker29 and 2 others liked this
Shoot, one other thought regarding franchises...GB does not have the (canon) universe building of any of the big franchises. It doesn't have the character development either. I think this movie is aware of that and trying to do more world and character building. THAT is what has made successful franchises. I also think it is why GB hasn't had that success.

All three movies have been the same movie - start up ghost business that sees an increase in activity until they take out the big bad. The reason why other movies are able to get away with repeating the same plots and formulas (Star Wars is a great example) is because of the character and universe building, which GB hasn't had beyond the Real Ghostbusters.
Wiggyof9 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 8:06 am The one thing I disgaree with is what the term "true" continuation. This is just another version of events. For awhile, RGB was the true continuation of the movie, until GB2 was made.
No it was never a true continuation. I absolutely love real ghostbusters , but it was always based on or or an adaption rather than a true continuation.

A big way you can tell it wasn't a true continuation is it constantly changed what happened in the movie so the cartoon could happen. Stay puft was trapped inside of exploding , the Slimer situation and various other things

Ghostbusters II was a true continuation , regardless of how I feel about the trailer this is a true continuation unless they retcon the events of the movie which is highly highly unlikely.

If you can watch the the first time the sequel then another sequel and there's no jarring continuity errors (I would always expect some in a trilogy , like there's some in back to the future and in the original Star wars trilogy they're still great trilogies. I just wouldn't expect massive ones) then it's a true continuation because it continues the story.

Right now with Ghostbusters to a certain degree I think we might be moving onto to terminator territory just not to the extreme terminator does. What I mean is timelines

1 > 2 > after Life
1 > 2 > the video game
1 > 2 > the comic
ATC > the ATC comic
Real > real comics > extreme

I'm sure different people will probably prefer different timelines and that's ok. The reason I say it's not as bad as terminator. Is simply it's understandable as there was no third film and they are all different mediums and it's rare for all mediums to coexist not unheard of but unlikely. Where is terminator does that with movies and TV show where everything has movie 1 movie 2 and then the next thing it's worse because it's the same medium.

Yes we was never a true continuation it was always a cartoon for children loosely based upon it , like even the designs changed of the characters like hair colour. However not been a true continuation was ok because real ghostbusters was a damn good cartoon and I can still watch it today and enjoy it.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 12th, 2019, 8:09 am
MikeyJ122 wrote:

There's footage someplace where Ivan Reitman said the video game is no longer canon. So that issue is put to bed. I would have liked the game to remain canon, but it isn't. I suppose if Afterlife is terrible, we can just disregard it and treat the video game as the true third movie like we have been for the last 10 years. Otherwise, the video game will have to be contained in its own universe, just as RGB/EGB.
Thanks for this. I KNEW I heard one of the main creators say "The Video Game is no longer canon." It would be great if we can find this interview and post it in this thread. I like the video game as much as anyone (I actually did one of the original youtube video GB3 compilations out of it). But it's just plain NOT canon anymore, which is a good thing imo. The game had some really good ideas that could potentially be cherry picked for use in Afterlife.

As I've said probably 6 times in this thread now we have all these alt timeline stories now, which is good. But the films are the only TRUE canon.

Main Canon GB, GB2, Afterlife
Alt 1 GB, GB2, TVG
Alt 2 GB, RGB, EGB
Alt 3 ATC
Alt 4 comics

Did I miss anything?
MikeyJ122 wrote:
Thanks for this. I KNEW I heard one of the main creators say "The Video Game is no longer canon." It would be great if we can find this interview and post it in this thread. I like the video game as much as anyone (I actually did one of the original youtube video GB3 compilations out of it). But it's just plain NOT canon anymore, which is a good thing imo. The game had some really good ideas that could potentially be cherry picked for use in Afterlife.

As I've said probably 6 times in this thread now we have all these alt timeline stories now, which is good. But the films are the only TRUE canon.

Main Canon GB, GB2, Afterlife
Alt 1 GB, GB2, TVG
Alt 2 GB, RGB, EGB
Alt 3 ATC
Alt 4 comics

Did I miss anything?
It was when Ivan appeared at a panel alongside the IDW Comic creators at the San Diego Comicon in 2017. I can't find the clip though.
pizzarat liked this
FACT CHECK: Ivan said he doesn't consider the video game to be Ghostbusters 3. That's not the same thing as saying the video game is not canon.

They'll say nothing more than the thirty years thing - it's a handwave, you can call that '89 if you want, you can call it '91 if you want. It would be weird to aggressively remove it from canon (as in make a point of "oh they definitely disbanded in 1989" in the actual script) given that that removes Harold Ramis' last fingerprint on the franchise from continuity. If the whole thing is a tribute to the dude, wouldn't that strike you as a little odd?
deadderek, Gozerhead, back and 6 others liked this
robbritton wrote: December 12th, 2019, 9:33 am FACT CHECK: Ivan said he doesn't consider the video game to be Ghostbusters 3. That's not the same thing as saying the video game is not canon.

They'll say nothing more than the thirty years thing - it's a handwave, you can call that '89 if you want, you can call it '91 if you want. It would be weird to aggressively remove it from canon (as in make a point of "oh they definitely disbanded in 1989" in the actual script) given that that removes Harold Ramis' last fingerprint on the franchise from continuity. If the whole thing is a tribute to the dude, wouldn't that strike you as a little odd?
If you read between the lines, I'd have to say it pretty much is saying that it's not cannon. Just take it for what is: A super awesome game adaptation in the original GB universe.
I think, or hope, that there isn't anything in Afterlife that makes it impossible for the VG to be canon. I don't think there will be a direct, yes it is, in anyway. It would be reasonable for them to just avoid explicitly making it non-canon. I don't think it is reasonable to expect it to be explicitly made canon via the new movie.
robbritton wrote: December 12th, 2019, 9:33 am FACT CHECK: Ivan said he doesn't consider the video game to be Ghostbusters 3. That's not the same thing as saying the video game is not canon.

Double Fact Check

If the executive producer of Afterlife, who happens to be the director of 1 and 2 states that he doesnt consider it to be canon, then it's not canon. I dont know what more proof do you need?

It's not a shot against Harold to say it's not canon, it's a VIDEO GAME after all, not a film. It also doesnt mean you can't enjoy it. Heck I'm watching RGB with my 4 year old right now, and we enjoy that. It doesnt mean it needs to be defended and protected until its considered canon.
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 9:46 am

Double Fact Check

If the executive producer of Afterlife, who happens to be the director of 1 and 2 states that he doesnt consider it to be canon, then it's not canon. I dont know what more proof do you need?

It's not a shot against Harold to say it's not canon, it's a VIDEO GAME after all, not a film. It also doesnt mean you can't enjoy it. Heck I'm watching RGB with my 4 year old right now, and we enjoy that. It doesnt mean it needs to be defended and protected until its considered canon.
But “it’s not the Ghostbusters 3 I would have made” isn’t the same thing as “it isn’t part of the continuity”. That’s all I’m saying. It wasn’t just me interpreting it that way at the time!

It may very well not be part of continuity, but Ivan never expressly stated that. Also, you have to account for Dan’s opinion too. It’s all co-owned.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
Let me also add, that the Peter/Dana relationship makes it virtually impossible for the game to be canon, whether it is directly addressed or not. So they broke up after GB1, got back together in GB2, Peter takes a shining to Oscar, Peter then hits on and goes after (I forget her name from the game) so basically cheats on Dana or they broke up AGAIN, but they get back together again sometime before Afterlife. It's pretty much a given that Peter and Dana will be back together in Afterlife. This just seems like a MASSIVE plothole that requires TVG to be NOT considered canon.
RichRyan1507, Corey91 liked this
TVG is part of my legacy and I don't care if it's canon or not.

Like, seriously. Let this movie tell its story. If it's good, it will stand on its own merits.
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 10:04 am Let me also add, that the Peter/Dana relationship makes it virtually impossible for the game to be canon, whether it is directly addressed or not. So they broke up after GB1, got back together in GB2, Peter takes a shining to Oscar, Peter then hits on and goes after (I forget her name from the game) so basically cheats on Dana or they broke up AGAIN, but they get back together again sometime before Afterlife. It's pretty much a given that Peter and Dana will be back together in Afterlife. This just seems like a MASSIVE plothole that requires TVG to be NOT considered canon.
You may never been part of a relationship like this, but they happen. My first gf and I come into eachothers lives about every 10 years or so.
back, RichRyan1507, deadderek and 3 others liked this
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 10:04 am Let me also add, that the Peter/Dana relationship makes it virtually impossible for the game to be canon, whether it is directly addressed or not. So they broke up after GB1, got back together in GB2, Peter takes a shining to Oscar, Peter then hits on and goes after (I forget her name from the game) so basically cheats on Dana or they broke up AGAIN, but they get back together again sometime before Afterlife. It's pretty much a given that Peter and Dana will be back together in Afterlife. This just seems like a MASSIVE plot hole that requires TVG to be NOT considered canon.
Yes, and I don't think we are going to learn that Peter and Dan have lived together, happily, the last 30 years. I think it would be great if they did, but I think it will be more of a Mulder/Scully vibe. They got back together for an extended period, drifted back apart, and now are not a couple, but closer than best friends.

There is a strong possibility that we don't get a lot of personal history of the original cast beyond a few lines. I think the story and new characters, regardless of OG screen time, will be the focus, not the back stories of old characters.

OMG...what if DANA ends up being the bad guy or the connection between all the movies. It would totally make sense to find out that Dana is the relative or something of Shandor and a huge plot device. She is the only non-GB common thread between the three movies at this point! She is likely way more important to the story than just someone randomly caught up in the Manhattan Crossrip and Vigo.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 12th, 2019, 8:23 am
Another thought: There's a scene when Callie is cutting Trevor's hair. In that scene, in the left part of the foreground, there is a table with a framed photograph on it. The image is hard to make out, but it appears to me that there is some red and white stripes in it. I'm wondering if it's a photo of Trevor and Phoebe's father with an American flag backdrop. Perhaps he was in the military and was killed in action. That would explain why he isn't around. Trevor would have been born about 16 years ago, which is when the US first went into Afghanistan and Iraq post 9/11. There's also a scene where Phoebe says, "It's just my mom." Maybe Callie isn't Egon's daughter, but daughter-in-law. Maybe she never met Egon, and her late husband never shared anything about Egon because he thought he was crazy. Egon, still being a good person, left his farm to his son, but his son died in action, so the property would then go to his wife per the rules set forth in the Uniform Probate Code (and this would be a perfect place for Louis Tully to show up, if Moranis were so inclined to make an appearance).
This makes sense. It explains why she doesn’t have the same Spengler vibe that the kids do. If Phoebe is 12/13 in 2020, Callie at least had to be pregnant with her in 2007/8, so he would’ve had to be alive at least that long. Maybe the son had ownership of the property in Oklahoma for years but never did anything with it. Good grounded speculation.
Gozerhead, JonXCTrack liked this

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]