Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
RichRyan1507 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:35 pmThey have the original props or at least detailed pictures to make accurate replicas from them.
I don't believe it's a Matty P.K.E., but I feel it needs to be said for the record:

Sony doesn't have access to the original P.K.E. Meter. Unlike the Packs and Traps, that was a rented prop, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the word was it was apparently stolen some years after Ghostbusters II, and never recovered.

Whatever photographic reference Sony does possess would not be as extensive as any prop photo archives which have been spawned by the digital photography age. Clarity of detail and the volume of photos would be limited by the physical nature of the medium back in 1983/88.
back, RichRyan1507, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By SpaceBallz
They're gonna restore it by the end of the film, I seriously doubt they'd junk it (in the movie universe). I bet Ray kinda wigs out seeing it like that when his scene pops up.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:02 pm
RichRyan1507 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:35 pmThey have the original props or at least detailed pictures to make accurate replicas from them.
I don't believe it's a Matty P.K.E., but I feel it needs to be said for the record:

Sony doesn't have access to the original P.K.E. Meter. Unlike the Packs and Traps, that was a rented prop, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the word was it was apparently stolen some years after Ghostbusters II, and never recovered.

Whatever photographic reference Sony does possess would not be as extensive as any prop photo archives which have been spawned by the digital photography age. Clarity of detail and the volume of photos would be limited by the physical nature of the medium back in 1983/88.
Stolen or misplaced? Was it ever returned after its use on knightrider or suburbon cammando?
Commander_Jim wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm This is all people wanted from a new GB movie. Something that treats the property with respect and seems to be trying to be a worthy extension of the series. Was that so hard?
That wasn't such a chore, now was it?
RichRyan1507, Commander_Jim, back and 5 others liked this
Commander_Jim wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm This is all people wanted from a new GB movie. Something that treats the property with respect and seems to be trying to be a worthy extension of the series. Was that so hard?
I'm pretty excited for fanboy Rudd. I hope he complains that the trap doesn't have the right buttons.
RichRyan1507, SpaceBallz, deadderek and 2 others liked this
The fire pole, the (albeit fan idea of a) farm house, and saving all the gear does feel like a ray move, and while yes we see the Spengler suit, there were 4 suits there so it could have been everyone's suit's and the one she grabbed was Egon's. The kids favor Egon, and that was intentional on the production's part, his grand kids or not. The fact that if Ray grew up there he would have known about the mine, but what really gets it for me is the spores molds and fungus, Egon 100%.

All that is ignoring the fact that Harold Ramis has passed, and Dan Aykroyd is suppose to be in the film. So its pretty much a given that is Egon's family. Besides, if it were anyone else then they would be down 2 original busters, a deceased one, and one that is mia. My wife joked that it was Peter that died and would finally come back as a ghost like he has wanted for years. I feel like its entirely possible that Egon and Ray built the secret lair in that place and the pole was his idea before moving on to other things though.

Something that bugs me though is given the mom's age Egon would have already had a family during the first GB film or soon there after, and it hasn't been mentioned at all. none of that feels very Egon at all to me, but I shall wait and see what the film holds before making any major judgements.
WorldofthePsychic wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:46 pm I really hope they make this a proper tribute to Harold Ramis. The slide in the game remaster was nice, but let's show that man the respect that he deserves!
Seeing as this film seems to revolve around his character, I think you'll get your wish.
Is it really so hard to praise this without slighting the 2016 movie? I thought the 2016 movie was all of those things, and so is this.
robbritton, groschopf, Sav C and 5 others liked this
By groschopf
Also... yeah, it was that hard.

Harold Ramis died. Bill Murray stonewalled a third installment for decades. Dan Aykroyd's screenplays worried studios, especially after Blues Brothers 2000. And no one wanted to do a follow-up to a beloved film that was bound to pale in comparison no matter what. I mean, talk of a third film has gone on long enough that Ben Stiller and Chris Farley were rumored choices for a cast.

Moving on -- heh.

What if Egon was a sperm donor for Dana, and Oscar is the father that's missing? Dana would have hidden Oscar's lineage from Peter for obvious reasons (consider the lengths she went to in order to keep him out of the investigation opening Ghostbusters II). And given what Oscar experienced as a baby and what his mother went through twice with demigods... it would make sense that this family wouldn't live in New York, let alone talk much about what happened there.

I know. Far-fetched. I fully expect this hypothesis to go nowhere. But having seen Juno... Jason Reitman likes to have fun with an awkward pregnancy story. And it gives Olive Cooper a reason to be in the film beyond recreating Harold Ramis.

deadderek, mrmichaelt, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
groschopf wrote: December 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm What if Egon was a sperm donor for Dana, and Oscar is the father that's missing? Dana would have hidden Oscar's lineage from Peter for obvious reasons (consider the lengths she went to in order to keep him out of the investigation opening Ghostbusters II). And given what Oscar experienced as a baby and what his mother went through twice with demigods... it would make sense that this family wouldn't live in New York, let alone talk much about what happened there.
All I'm gonna say on this theory is to counter it with remember what Egon said to Peter in Ray's Occult in GB2?

(personally I hope they don't revisit Egon being promiscuous)
Last edited by mrmichaelt on December 9th, 2019, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groschopf, Sav C, *NormalGamer* and 2 others liked this
By groschopf
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:00 pm All I'm gonna say on this theory is to counter it with remember what Egon said to Peter in Ray's Occult in GB2?
YUP.

Anyway, the reason I had that brainfart is because I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in which Egon had a successful relationship, let alone offspring and grandkids. But I suppose Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman have a hell of a story to tell in any case.
mrmichaelt, deadderek, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
By deadderek
For me I feel the trailer nails the tone of what a Ghostbusters trailer should be.

No over the top acting, minimal comedy, and just enough to leave you wanting for more.

As has been said before WAY too many trailers give it all away these days. This was a refreshing take on what a great Ghostbusters trailer should be, and confirms with Jason at the helm we've nothing to worry about.

What a time to be a Ghostbusters fan.
RedSpecial, Adub794, mrmichaelt and 6 others liked this
By pizzarat
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm Loved the trailer. Loved seeing this thread jumped in page count. Great way to start off the week.
DocLathropBrown wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:49 am On the 30 years thing... that allows for GB2 (1989-2020 = 31 years), but unless they provide more hard evidence, I willing to include the game, too. It's common to colloquially round-up when it's so close a space of time, so if we were to include 1991 as the last ghost sighting (reported, mind you), then it would be 29 years since the game.... if it were me, I'd just say '30.'

So again, unless there's more in the film that specifically says "The Ghostbusters disbanded on January 2nd, 1990," then it will be vague enough that the game still fits in quite nicely. I assume after the showdown with Shandor in Central Park, supernatural activity dried up again, and, realizing it was going to be a constant up-down fight to stay in business, they folded up and disbanded.
Exactly. It's a common movie conceit to have a nice round number. Like in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, they never had characters correctly say how long Steve Rogers was frozen in ice. They keep saying 70 years when it was really 67. Even Steve himself says 70. So I like to think for now Grooberson did the same thing.

And we're assuming the movie takes place in 2020, he's in excited mode and going off the top of his head, and y'know, we only saw 2 and half minutes of the movie so it's not prudent to draw any conclusions. As Doc theorized, the game still fits. Let's worry about the canon stuff after it comes out in theaters then Blu-ray.

In the end it's a business move, but if they didn't care about The Video Game, I doubt they would go to the trouble of finding a company to remaster it for a rerelease 10 years later.
That's a really good point. Admittedly I really don't believe that the video game is "as good" as a movie, but I think its plot is important enough to be considered hard canon. And let's not forget that the Class-10 attendees at the Fan Fest received both a Ghostbusters II, 1989 & Staten Island, 1991 patch. I'm expecting ancillary references to GB II, but I really don't want the TVG to be erased like a third-grade math answer.
mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer*, robbritton and 1 others liked this
RichRyan1507 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 2:22 pm
However I thought the same thing about the books and the firepole. Especially the firepole. I have a hard time seeing Egon using that all the time so what's the point? Unless he took it from the firehouse when it shut down? I dunno.
That's why I think they're perhaps implying that all those flashy elements of being a GB actually meant a lot to Egon, and he wanted to hang onto it. Keeping Ecto-1 and his uniforms is totally unnecessary when you're silently conducting research. I think Egon looked at his work in Summerville as something, eh... heroic? Sounds corny, I know, but I can't fathom why Egon would care to maintain so many trappings of the business beyond such a reason. Why a firepole instead of stairs? Why the Ectomobile instead of a plain van? Flightsuit as opposed to plain clothes? That's my only rationale.
We got to think of something.. these kids grandfather is egon Spengler..

He either had to die before the oldest was born (14-15 years ago)

Or the mother of these kids (egons daughter) hasn’t spoken with him, or of him to the kids... does this mean they don’t have a good relationship?

Why doesn’t the daughter ever mention to the kids what their grandfather is famous for, saving the world twice!

Something is up with this family’s relationship...

The daughter think he was a con artist too?

She mad at him for spending all their money on a under ground GB headquarters in the middle of no where?!

Something is up...
By mrmichaelt
I wonder if anyone has compared Grooberson's map of Oklahoma at the 36 sec mark to a real map to see if Summerville has an approximate location.

Looks like that roller skate fast food diner is in the last frame.
Michael Scott wrote: December 9th, 2019, 5:43 pm Is that a parts car outside of the barn at the 2 minute mark where Trevor says “Come on, darlin”? It looks like a Cadillac el dorado but I’m watching on my phone and can’t tell.
Yeah, that was pretty interesting that there were at least 2 junk cars outside. Unless people were dumping their cars on the property.
By Sav C
That was great! The beginning I wasn't so sure about, but by the middle I was super hyped! The trap, the packs, the car--beautiful! I think Jason has done a good thing here. Seeing the Spengler uniform was moving. I have a strong feeling that it will be a heartfelt tribute to Harold.

As for GBII, I feel that the timeline likely split into two at the end of the first movie, and GBII is in the first timeline. However, that is almost certainly due to my "GBIII schema" predominantly including alternate universes, since Dan's idea was for the Ghostbusters to travel to an alternate Manhattan. If I try to disregard my preconceived notions (which is somewhat challenging as I've been thinking about GBIII for a decade now) I see no reason to believe that this has to be in a different timeline than GBII.

Ultimately this looks fantastic, and we're only at the tip of the iceberg. It's an amazing feeling to see the original equipment, uniforms, and Ecto on the silver screen once again! This is gonna be a great ride, guys!

Excelsior!
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he […]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]