Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Alphagaia
pizzarat wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:09 am Here's a good question. If ghosts haven't been seen in "30 years", then why did (presumably) Egon and Ray build a secret underground laboratory and update the equipment? As an earlier poster mentioned, there's four uniforms there too. I think there's something more at play, possibly a front business (maybe the Z logo) or a clandestine operation of some kind.
Easy. They kept it in case the world needed saving.
By Adub794
Wafflerobot wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:08 am So, if there hasn't been a Ghost sighting in 30 years, i guess that means that not much happened after the events of GB2?

I think that's kind of a shame because I always liked to think the Ghostbusters continued to do their thing until at least the mid 90's. Even if the Video game isn't cannon, I'd like to think they were still busting ghosts and getting into more trouble for a few years after destroying Vigo,
It seems that major events is what conjures up the ghosts in both films. Gozer saw an influx of hauntings. By the beginning of GB2 it was noted that there wasn't much in the way of ghosts to do any actual “busting” and the band split up.

Then Vego occurred, conjuring up more apparitions, etc. - back in business!

I’m going to assume that if there’s no ghosts to bust then there’s no ghostbusting occurring therefore no Revenue coming in. The guys went their separate ways and here we are 30 years later
Last edited by Adub794 on December 9th, 2019, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Davideverona
back wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:45 am
Funktion wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:41 am
Yeah, it made the kids more likeable.

What are the chances we are getting a scenario similar to Extreme Ghostbusters' "back in the saddle" episodes?
I'm kind of hoping the kids will go look for Egon's former teammates, who will teach them how to use the equipment, and suit up one last time to kick ghost butt. ;)
Hmmm... Be interesting if the writers just grabbed the best RGB episodes and mashed them into a Gift Wrapped Package ;)

Umm, it just me or did this post just freaking explode? lol

EDIT:
Why are there 4 jumpsuits instead of one? Hmmm... Did they actually go out of business?Image
Or maybe they were all Egon's jumpsuits. I don't think he had only one.

And: there is only one proton pack, two if we count the Ecto mounted.

They'll surely need more firepower. And they'll need more knowledge of their grandpa and of the Manhattan Crossrip of 1984.

Sure,Grooberson knows something, but he was a child.
What better source than the men who fought alongside Egon?
RedSpecial liked this
By Muwarrior21
does anyone have a link to the post that showed the plot leak that basically confirms the trailer with the blue grabber ghost etc.?

thanks for any help, was the whole movie plot leaked or just the trailer contents?
By EddieSpenser
Weird, the tone and content of the trailers (USA vs GER/FR) are completely different.
There's no mention of the actual plot in the european version (the earthquakes).
Also, we're getting the movie ONE WHOLE MONTH later in europe, it is NOT ok haha :walterpeck:

Edit: I re-read the plot leak. Could it be that this trailer was a decoy? Like something explicitly made to lead us on a wrong path?
Last edited by EddieSpenser on December 9th, 2019, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SSJmole
GBfan_CH wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:02 am
SSJmole wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:53 am I disagree.

I have no problems if others like it , I'm not going to harass people in it ect... But if it doesn't feel like ghostbusters then I'm not got to support it.

I mean should we all support Spider-man 3 just because it happened regardless? It looks uninspired and the same as power rangers movie , chronicle ect.... Just replace the word superhero with Ghostbusters.
Fair points and I respect your opinion. I’m just worried Ghostbusters is going to become a battleground again for conflicting viewpoints. The franchise might not survive another wave of overtly negative publicity.
That's true though the fandom caused that itself. I've seen so many people abandon it after what happened. Like I've said before a girl in my family liked ghostbusters , she loved cartoons she even use to have have slimer plushie. Then when ATC came out she was harassed for want to see it online , threatened in the street for wearing a ghostbusters top. She no has 0 ghostbusters things , she got rid of them all. Even I fell out of the fandom over it.

So you have to think if the nasty sexist negative people forced alot of the good people out then a large chunk that's left is the toxic ones.

Alot of people in the fandom sat by and let it be all that was associated with the brand. So I fully expect that type of thing to occur again because essentially the fandom encouraged it by doing nothing because "my movie" is more important to them than common human decency.

Which like i said if you don't like it it's fine. You don't attack others over it. If this movie is as bad as it looks I have 0 issue with any fans did enjoy it and I hope they had fun. I will not be trying to force the cast members to flee Twitter and I won't be sending them death threats. I just won't be buying anything of it.

One big part of why it looks off to me is like someone else in the topic said it's the loss of New York. All the time they always talk about New York as a character. And that's what those movies had. Now it's in a small town with open unpopulated fields. It's lost something very important to it.

Just like the scenes I saw in the trailer did not seem like they came from the Ghostbusters film. I felt like every cliched teen superhero or supernatural movie going. Where is the original Ghostbusters felt like it was something different.

Ironically I would say men in black 1 is closer Ghostbusters movie than that trailer. Which is weird don't be wrong men in black one is a great film (I love all four)

but this seems heatless. It's like Sony just said "we need to make money what popular , ah stranger things cast one of them and set in a similar location and give it a similar tone. What else? Ahhh the mcu is popular give us Ant-Man discovering technology again from a old hero they loved that in Ant-Man one!" And that worries me.
By Wafflerobot
Maybe I am seeing things in this shot, but the red thing in the foreground obscuring her:

seems to be this device from GB1:

Jason actually posted an image of this device back on his instragram account months back:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByGBSwjpxzo/

It's called a Medrad Mark IV Angiographic Injector System, in case anyone has ever wondered.
Last edited by Wafflerobot on December 9th, 2019, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themikereda, Adub794, groschopf and 7 others liked this
By RichardLess
Now *THIS* is podrac...err..Ghostbusters.

People complaining about the lack of comedy: watch the original trailer for GB1.

I hate how comedy trailers spoil all the jokes. Also? That German trailer with the bit at the end? That is Ghostbusters humour. Dry, understated, funny. Beautiful.

I'm loving this. When the Venkman quotes start with the music? I get chills just thinking about it.

Awww man. I love it.

Notice how this trailer is almost beat for beat like the Star Wars Force Awakens trailers?

We get the voice over from the previous movie. Venkman instead of Luke, and an ending shot of the main vehicle in action, Ecto 1 instead of The Falcon. We even get a girl sliding down a pole/rope. Not to mention the remixed iconic score.
It would've been awesome had the trailer ended with Venkman & Ray walking in the firehouse with Venkman going : "Chewie, We're Home..." Cut to a look of bewilderment from Ray.
groschopf, pizzarat, Adub794 and 7 others liked this
By skankerzero
SSJmole wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:23 am
GBfan_CH wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:02 am

Fair points and I respect your opinion. I’m just worried Ghostbusters is going to become a battleground again for conflicting viewpoints. The franchise might not survive another wave of overtly negative publicity.
That's true though the fandom caused that itself. I've seen so many people abandon it after what happened. Like I've said before a girl in my family liked ghostbusters , she loved cartoons she even use to have have slimer plushie. Then when ATC came out she was harassed for want to see it online , threatened in the street for wearing a ghostbusters top. She no has 0 ghostbusters things , she got rid of them all. Even I fell out of the fandom over it.

So you have to think if the nasty sexist negative people forced alot of the good people out then a large chunk that's left is the toxic ones.

Alot of people in the fandom sat by and let it be all that was associated with the brand. So I fully expect that type of thing to occur again because essentially the fandom encouraged it by doing nothing because "my movie" is more important to them than common human decency.

Which like i said if you don't like it it's fine. You don't attack others over it. If this movie is as bad as it looks I have 0 issue with any fans did enjoy it and I hope they had fun. I will not be trying to force the cast members to flee Twitter and I won't be sending them death threats. I just won't be buying anything of it.

One big part of why it looks off to me is like someone else in the topic said it's the loss of New York. All the time they always talk about New York as a character. And that's what those movies had. Now it's in a small town with open unpopulated fields. It's lost something very important to it.

Just like the scenes I saw in the trailer did not seem like they came from the Ghostbusters film. I felt like every cliched teen superhero or supernatural movie going. Where is the original Ghostbusters felt like it was something different.

Ironically I would say men in black 1 is closer Ghostbusters movie than that trailer. Which is weird don't be wrong men in black one is a great film (I love all four)

but this seems heatless. It's like Sony just said "we need to make money what popular , ah stranger things cast one of them and set in a similar location and give it a similar tone. What else? Ahhh the mcu is popular give us Ant-Man discovering technology again from a old hero they loved that in Ant-Man one!" And that worries me.
The toxicity of this fandom caused me to step away and only come on to answer TVG questions when they came up every half year or so.

I'm part of many fandoms, but this is by far the most toxic one I've seen. My final straw was seeing people mock the little girls with the ATC suits on Twitter.
robbritton, GBfan_CH, SSJmole and 3 others liked this
Brilliant trailer.

I'm not concerned about the non-sighting of the OGBs. I figured we might not--they won't be the main characters. But a simple cameo? That ain't happening. If that was all they were going to have, I really doubt they would have gone to the trouble of getting everyone involved. If it was gonna be that throwaway, they would have just had Dan or something. And they wouldn't have bothered to have them come out to shoot--they'd have just done it in a studio out here in front of a green screen, haha. I think they'll probably be limited to the third act, but whatever their role is, it'll be key to the plot and anything but throwaway.

I'm fascinated by why Egon did this--come out to investigate the paranormal, sure. That's totally Egon. But to bring spare flightsuits and the Ecto-1? That's a bit flashy for Egon. I never figured Spengler to have necessarily cared for the 'branding' of the job, I think he accepted that as Venkman's vision for things, and a means to fund his research. I would have figured Ray to be sentimental enough to hang onto the iconography of the job. I'm intrigued by this twist to Spengler, and I suppose maybe Ghostbusters meant more to him than we might have thought. There's something kind of sad about it--that Egon moved out here on some mission to save the world solo, and having disappeared or died in the pursuit of it, all alone.

On the 30 years thing... that allows for GB2 (1989-2020 = 31 years), but unless they provide more hard evidence, I willing to include the game, too. It's common to colloquially round-up when it's so close a space of time, so if we were to include 1991 as the last ghost sighting (reported, mind you), then it would be 29 years since the game.... if it were me, I'd just say '30.'

So again, unless there's more in the film that specifically says "The Ghostbusters disbanded on January 2nd, 1990," then it will be vague enough that the game still fits in quite nicely. I assume after the showdown with Shandor in Central Park, supernatural activity dried up again, and, realizing it was going to be a constant up-down fight to stay in business, they folded up and disbanded.

Even if the OGBs only showed up on a Skype screen to say 'hi,' I'd still be interested to learn what happened and why they split up (etc), so I really hope the film gives some details and doesn't stay vague.
Funktion, groschopf, robbritton and 5 others liked this
By robbritton
skankerzero wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:42 am The toxicity of this fandom caused me to step away and only come on to answer TVG questions when they came up every half year or so.

I'm part of many fandoms, but this is by far the most toxic one I've seen. My final straw was seeing people mock the little girls with the ATC suits on Twitter.
They’re so frustrating. Already every comment thread for this trailer on the wider internet is ”better than 2016”, “first women now kids”, “blah blah blah 2016 garbage fire”. It makes everything to do with these films so boring, and it doesn’t ever seem to lessen. Film as competition. Yuck.

I just can’t imagine spending my whole time going, “YES BUT AVPR WAS AWFUL” every time someone bought up Alien. What a tiny, dull life that would be. It makes me so annoyed that loving every iteration of this franchise somehow lumps me in with that kind of thing to observers outside of the fandom.

But yeah. I’m super excited for this new one as I was for the game and as I was for ATC. I expect to grind my teeth to glass over certain attitudes between now and release. I refuse to let it get between me and my love for Ghostbusters, though. Surely those of us who find joy in all of it are the best off in the end?
SSJmole, tylergfoster, JamesB922 and 4 others liked this
By timeware
RichardLess wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:37 am Now *THIS* is podrac...err..Ghostbusters.

People complaining about the lack of comedy: watch the original trailer for GB1.

I hate how comedy trailers spoil all the jokes. Also? That German trailer with the bit at the end? That is Ghostbusters humour. Dry, understated, funny. Beautiful.

I'm loving this. When the Venkman quotes start with the music? I get chills just thinking about it.

Awww man. I love it.

Notice how this trailer is almost beat for beat like the Star Wars Force Awakens trailers?

We get the voice over from the previous movie. Venkman instead of Luke, and an ending shot of the main vehicle in action, Ecto 1 instead of The Falcon. We even get a girl sliding down a pole/rope. Not to mention the remixed iconic score.
It would've been awesome had the trailer ended with Venkman & Ray walking in the firehouse with Venkman going : "Chewie, We're Home..." Cut to a look of bewilderment from Ray.
They can't give us everything at once. As for what's on the shelf I would say Egon's failed clone experiments.
By GBfan_CH
skankerzero wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:42 am The toxicity of this fandom caused me to step away and only come on to answer TVG questions when they came up every half year or so.

That’s awful. GB has always been a hugely positive thing in my life and I’m sad it isn’t the same for everybody.
SpaceBallz, Alphagaia, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
By Talyn
Given the "Shandor Mining COmpany" we see in the trailer, Im guessing Egon moved out there because he was still researching Shandor, and it lead him to this mine. And he needed the equipment for it.
SpaceBallz liked this
robbritton wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:53 am

They’re so frustrating. Already every comment thread for this trailer on the wider internet is ”better than 2016”, “first women now kids”, “blah blah blah 2016 garbage fire”. It makes everything to do with these films so boring, and it doesn’t ever seem to lessen. Film as competition. Yuck.

I just can’t imagine spending my whole time going, “YES BUT AVPR WAS AWFUL” every time someone bought up Alien. What a tiny, dull life that would be. It makes me so annoyed that loving every iteration of this franchise somehow lumps me in with that kind of thing to observers outside of the fandom.

But yeah. I’m super excited for this new one as I was for the game and as I was for ATC. I expect to grind my teeth to glass over certain attitudes between now and release. I refuse to let it get between me and my love for Ghostbusters, though. Surely those of us who find joy in all of it are the best off in the end?
Sadly, that's never going to end. Even in 20 years, after Ghostbusters 4, 5 and 6 have come out, there will still be people bringing up the 'horrors' or ATC. Nerds are excessively childish. Just something I've come to sadly accept. Hence why I hardly interact with other fans.
robbritton, Alphagaia liked this
By tylergfoster
Dr.D wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:11 am Another thing to think about

Film Twitter is not a reflection of the general audience.
No, but far more of a barometer than, say, this board.

I search "Ghostbusters" on Twitter to see what people are saying generally, and click on the "Latest" tab for all unlocked Tweets.
By deadderek
This movie is truly Jason giving it back to the fans. We're in for one hell of a movie next year. $$$$$$$
groschopf, SpaceBallz, Scum and 1 others liked this
By RedSpecial
I don't give a rusty jobby what the general public think.
I'm much more interested in hearing from other fans who know their stuff about the original movies.

As far as I'm concerned those are the only opinions that really matter.

I know the studios don't think that way as it's all about the profits but if the hard-core fanbase is happy it's a much better metric for the quality of the movie imho.
Funktion liked this
By SSJmole
robbritton wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:53 am

Maybe but it also makes it harder to share your love with someone else. Example I posted this here in other thread but my nephew was born last week. So I got him

https://imgshare.io/image/img-20191207-004436.q0fxY

I was so happy to get him that it was sold Asda near Halloween.

The parents put the same picture on Twitter thanking me and saying it was for new baby using #ghostbusters ect... And were bombarded with ghostbuster fans saying things along the line of "it better not be a girl" "if that's a son awesome. If it's a daughter then no we've seen they can't be ghostbusters"

They ended up deleting the tweet and remaking it adding "son" in message , only got congratulations.

It is heartbreaking how toxic this fanbase is.

And even now as you mentioned they've got a film that some like trailer for. And all they can post (I'm just going to call it out , it's even in this thread) is using this to further insult the other film 🤦‍♂️
Kingpin liked this
ecto1addict wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:09 am Ok - Trailer was really cool to finally see.

Got chills when:

dubbed audio of Venkman saying "call it fate, "
when the girl discovered the basement with Spengler labeled uniforms
the doors opened to reveal ecto 1 front end

otherwise, sitting here hoping the OG cast has more than just a couple line cameo.
@*referring to bold*

Also, the scene in which we see old footage of the OGB's going off to face Gozer. Love that callback.

As for the trailer itself, it looks okay. It's like I said earlier, this will be a lot different than what we're used to in NYC. As for the plot of the film, it seems that parts of it will be heavily focus on a single OGB we all know and love and the girl's (Callie) relation to the plot.

I'm cautiously optimistic. ^_^
Last edited by *NormalGamer* on December 9th, 2019, 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
By SpaceBallz
Are we doing this? Are we going to start another GB2016 debate/calling out sexists in a GB3 spoilers discussion?
deadderek, Funktion, EddieSpenser and 1 others liked this
By Adub794
SSJmole it sounds like you’re putting too much stock in Twitter. Twitter is hot garbage and gives morons a podium to insult.

I deleted Twitter a long time ago. The best places for “fans”- true fans- are fb groups and forums like this one
Last edited by Adub794 on December 9th, 2019, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]