Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By back
signeddiamond wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:07 am ...and then recklessly adding in some of your own rubbish...
Well its good to know that Im reckless & have the rubbish covered :D
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
But, you are right signeddiamond... I Misinterpreted your post. And for that I Publicly Apologize.
Last edited by back on December 9th, 2019, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Wiggyof9
RedSpecial wrote:30 years, it's around the 1 minute 7 mark
Ah, ok.

Still, from the way the movie appears to be shaping up, GB2 being in continuity will be weird. This set up works way better if GB2 didnt happen, especially since the video game seems to have definitely not happened, which tied both movies together nicely.

Imagine Paul Rudd's character talking about the huge event of 1984 and then being "oh, and it happened again in 89".
Gozerhead wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:57 am
signeddiamond wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:47 am I have a problem with this that I really didn’t think I would until I saw it in action. This does not feel like Ghostbusters and after a bit of thought I realized it was because one of the main characters is gone completely. New York.

New York gave bleak modern sensibility with historical architecture. It was grey and made the colorful supernatural pop. The environments were claustrophobic and full of life. Each time the Ecto 1 rounded a street corner I was sure it was going to hit something.

This film is all vast brightly lit landscapes. The small town seems well maintained and widely spaced. The setting just feels completely wrong and that’s not something I would have considered seeing the production photos. Looking at it now I think the film would have flowed visually better if it took place in a suburb just outside NY. This is to say nothing of the script or how I think the actual substance of the movie will be but it feels very disconnected from the original in almost every way that at least keeping it visually continuous would have helped.
I remember an interview with a younger director (drawing a blank on the name) who wrote a draft of GB3. He was pointing out that every successful sequel is "the same, but a little bit different". One example he used was The Force Awakens. ATC was going to be too different to be successful.

It is clear in the trailer that the sames are nouns and maybe not all the plot points. We are assuming in your post that NY isn't, at some point, part of the film. However, we've seen many things from NY in the trailer and know the OG's will show up somehow. I can't imagine that if the trailer has this many call backs, the firehouse and such won't be a part of that.

It looks like even the big bad will be connected to GBI. I am wondering if we will see Gozer!!!
I agree but normally sequels don’t change the setting and when they do it normally falls apart. Consider something like The Dark Knight trilogy and pretend that they make another but it takes place in the middle of Utah. There is a disconnect there. Even The Force Awakens kept as much visual settings the same as possible. A sand planet. A Forrest planet. Snow planet. The settings felt the same which carried the new characters more effortlessly.

I’m not saying the film will be bad but I am saying that at least to me it is facing an uphill battle already because it does not feel like Ghostbusters.
SSJmole, Gozerhead liked this
By deadderek
I think it's gonna be Slimer but for the trailer they made it look more like a generic ghost.
Sav C liked this
By Wiggyof9
signeddiamond wrote:
Gozerhead wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:57 am I remember an interview with a younger director (drawing a blank on the name) who wrote a draft of GB3. He was pointing out that every successful sequel is "the same, but a little bit different". One example he used was The Force Awakens. ATC was going to be too different to be successful.

It is clear in the trailer that the sames are nouns and maybe not all the plot points. We are assuming in your post that NY isn't, at some point, part of the film. However, we've seen many things from NY in the trailer and know the OG's will show up somehow. I can't imagine that if the trailer has this many call backs, the firehouse and such won't be a part of that.

It looks like even the big bad will be connected to GBI. I am wondering if we will see Gozer!!!
I agree but normally sequels don’t change the setting and when they do it normally falls apart. Consider something like The Dark Knight trilogy and pretend that they make another but it takes place in the middle of Utah. There is a disconnect there. Even The Force Awakens kept as much visual settings the same as possible. A sand planet. A Forrest planet. Snow planet. The settings felt the same which carried the new characters more effortlessly.

I’m not saying the film will be bad but I am saying that at least to me it is facing an uphill battle already because it does not feel like Ghostbusters.
But how many iterations of ghostbusters can be made that follow the same setting.

GB1, GB2, RGB, EGB, GBTVG, GB2016, the comics, all take place in NYC. I think the franchise has milked the location enough.

I get why you want to see NYC, but I think this story works best leaving NYC. It makes more sense that no one really remembers the events of 1984 if the story gets as far away from NYC as it can.
deadderek, SpaceBallz, tylergfoster and 3 others liked this
deadderek wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:25 am I think it's gonna be Slimer but for the trailer they made it look more like a generic ghost.
I agreed with that theory until I saw VF -- I think Reitman has let Breznican in on more than he's actually revealing in his articles. Makes sense to me that it would be a creature in Slimer's class but not literally Slimer.
deadderek liked this
By Funktion
SpaceBallz wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:32 am They shoulda used the ecto goggles scene in the american trailer too. It made me laugh.
Yeah, it made the kids more likeable.

What are the chances we are getting a scenario similar to Extreme Ghostbusters' "back in the saddle" episodes?
I'm kind of hoping the kids will go look for Egon's former teammates, who will teach them how to use the equipment, and suit up one last time to kick ghost butt. ;)
back, SpaceBallz liked this
By GBfan_CH
Let’s just remember, it’s okay to dislike the way this film is heading, but given that it’s happening regardless (and that the sequel might well have the kids move back to the city with uncle Zeddemore and feel more OGB) we should all be supportive.

Personally I couldn’t be happier with what they’ve shown. Inspired cast.
back, SpaceBallz, deadderek and 3 others liked this
By back
Funktion wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:41 am
SpaceBallz wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:32 am They shoulda used the ecto goggles scene in the american trailer too. It made me laugh.

What are the chances we are getting a scenario similar to Extreme Ghostbusters' "back in the saddle" episodes?
I'm kind of hoping the kids will go look for Egon's former teammates, who will teach them how to use the equipment, and suit up one last time to kick ghost butt. ;)
Hmmm... Be interesting if the writers just grabbed the best RGB episodes and mashed them into a Gift Wrapped Package ;)

Umm, it just me or did this post just freaking explode? lol

EDIT:
Why are there 4 jumpsuits instead of one? Hmmm... Did they actually go out of business?Image
pizzarat, Funktion liked this
By Alphagaia
I'm a little worried about general public reception. So far the people who have seen it around me are a bit meh about.

They either think it looks to serious or to cheap.

And while I kinda get the first one, the second I don't get at all.
tylergfoster, Sav C liked this
By SSJmole
GBfan_CH wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:43 am Let’s just remember, it’s okay to dislike the way this film is heading, but given that it’s happening regardless (and that the sequel might well have the kids move back to the city with uncle Zeddemore and feel more OGB) we should all be supportive.

Personally I couldn’t be happier with what they’ve shown. Inspired cast.
I disagree.

I have no problems if others like it , I'm not going to harass people in it ect... But if it doesn't feel like ghostbusters then I'm not got to support it.

I mean should we all support Spider-man 3 just because it happened regardless? It looks uninspired and the same as power rangers movie , chronicle ect.... Just replace the word superhero with Ghostbusters.

Like I said before unless next trailer wows me I personally will not give £1 to this. I won't rent it I won't go cinema , I won't buy Blu-ray. I wont. Because "speak with your wallet"

I wanted to like it too I like the other 3 films (well 2 is ok but it's not bad) I loved cartoons ect... And this looks like .... It basically looks like stranger things got ghostbusters dlc.

Now if people do like what they saw I encourage them to go see it I encourage them to support it. But I don't think everyone should those who don't like what they saw should not support it.
By pizzarat
That was the only scene that "felt" like Ghostbusters. It made me less worried that this movie is just Stranger Busters.
By Dr.D
Gonna say this one loud for the people in the back

MOVIES INVOLVING KIDS AND SUPERNATURAL EVENTS EXISTED BEFORE STRANGER THINGS.

Reitman literally compared his movie to Amblin films. Just because Finn Wolfhard is in this doesn't mean this is going to be Stranger Things.
Adub794, McCrea, Alphagaia and 10 others liked this
By Adub794
I paused it during the chase scene and that ghost could easily be mistaken for slimer. Also I’d be willing to say it could be easily transformed to slimer for the official release, if they wanted to do so. Guess we’ll see in July!
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:14 amhttps://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... -eggs-1984

This claims the ghost at the end has six arms.
Last edited by Adub794 on December 9th, 2019, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By deadderek
back wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:45 am
Funktion wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:41 am

Hmmm... Be interesting if the writers just grabbed the best RGB episodes and mashed them into a Gift Wrapped Package ;)

EDIT:
Why are there 4 jumpsuits instead of one? Hmmm... Did they actually go out of business?Image
OR those are 4 of Egon's suits? That's a possibility. Or since it's the 1984 style uniforms he was storing them there since in 1989 they had new ones...
Sav C liked this
By tylergfoster
Alphagaia wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:53 am I'm a little worried about general public reception. So far the people who have seen it around me are a bit meh about.

Yeah, this is getting a decidedly mixed-negative reaction on Film Twitter. They are complaining about the faux-Spielberg reverence this has for the original and think it should look funnier. Director's jail comments coming up for Jason too.

Then again, mixed-negative is better than Ghostbusters (2016) dropped to, so.

I think the trailer is good, but I'm an easy mark. In any case, I get why it looks like it does: I think Sony believes, for better or worse, that they have to advertise this totally differently from 2016, which (objectively!) went joke-heavy and spectacle-heavy.
groschopf liked this
By GBfan_CH
SSJmole wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:53 am I disagree.

I have no problems if others like it , I'm not going to harass people in it ect... But if it doesn't feel like ghostbusters then I'm not got to support it.

I mean should we all support Spider-man 3 just because it happened regardless? It looks uninspired and the same as power rangers movie , chronicle ect.... Just replace the word superhero with Ghostbusters.
Fair points and I respect your opinion. I’m just worried Ghostbusters is going to become a battleground again for conflicting viewpoints. The franchise might not survive another wave of overtly negative publicity.
By Wiggyof9
droidguy1119 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:53 am I'm a little worried about general public reception. So far the people who have seen it around me are a bit meh about.

Yeah, this is getting a decidedly mixed-negative reaction on Film Twitter. They are complaining about the faux-Spielberg reverence this has for the original and think it should look funnier. Director's jail comments coming up for Jason too.

Then again, mixed-negative is better than Ghostbusters (2016) dropped to, so.

I think the trailer is good, but I'm an easy mark. In any case, I get why it looks like it does: I think Sony believes, for better or worse, that they have to advertise this totally differently from 2016, which (objectively!) went joke-heavy and spectacle-heavy.
I will say this, the trailer does not make this look like a comedy. Then again, the first movie's trailer didn't really do that either.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By themikereda
Lowberg wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:01 am I know trailers usually have early stages of VFX done to them, but does anyone else think the proton streams look awesome? They look so much more realistic than the ones in the reboot, not over the top and cartoony.
I love the streams. To me they look a lot like the original streams but with updated technology. But it's not the same kind of streams that you see in every Video Copilot tutorial like they did in the 2016 movie.
Funktion, Lowberg, Adub794 liked this
By Adub794
deadderek wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:59 am
back wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:45 am

EDIT:
OR those are 4 of Egon's suits? That's a possibility. Or since it's the 1984 style uniforms he was storing them there since in 1989 they had new ones...
Well the guys wore the tan jumpsuits in gb2 as well.

The fact that Rudd said they haven’t seen a ghost in 30 years is bad for ghostbusting business. It’s safe to say they went belly up
Funktion, SpaceBallz, Sav C liked this
By Wafflerobot
So, if there hasn't been a Ghost sighting in 30 years, i guess that means that not much happened after the events of GB2?

I think that's kind of a shame because I always liked to think the Ghostbusters continued to do their thing until at least the mid 90's. Even if the Video game isn't cannon, I'd like to think they were still busting ghosts and getting into more trouble for a few years after destroying Vigo,
By pizzarat
Here's a good question. If ghosts haven't been seen in "30 years", then why did (presumably) Egon and Ray build a secret underground laboratory and update the equipment? As an earlier poster mentioned, there's four uniforms there too. I think there's something more at play, possibly a front business (maybe the Z logo) or a clandestine operation of some kind.
By Wiggyof9
I was hoping that either the video game was canon with GB 1 and 2, or they just made GB1 canon and axed GB2 and the game. GB2 with out the exposition of the game just doesn't do it for me as an adult.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]