Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Corey91 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 3:06 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm My alternate take is that Egon is not Callie's father, and Oliver Cooper maybe plays an estranged brother to Egon who is actually the dead dad, with flashbacks. Egon tried to reconcile, stumbled on the town. Hard to believe Egon would be a deadbeat dad. Unless we go back to the sperm donor theory.

Oh this is interesting...that would be a cool twist. Hard to believe he would have never been mentioned, but at the same time I don't recall them ever talking about their family besides the line about Ray mortgaging his family's farm?
Careful, this has caused some confusion. Ray mortgaged his parents HOUSE not farm. Granted his house could still be on a farm, but many jump to the farm thing bacause of The Real Ghostbusters episode Dairy Farm which took place on farm owned by Rays cousin Samantha. One way or another we will have some answers to what form this film will be taking cone Monday. :):):)
Hairy Biker wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:24 pm I don't like saying this, but I think we owe this to Paul Feig.
If he hadn't screwed up so epically we wouldn't have a third movie.
It breaks my heart to give him credit.
I think Feig's great and I liked the movie but even I said this a couple of pages back. The reception of Ghostbusters (2016) was more ugly than expected, which creates lingering issues, but it did alleviate a certain amount of pressure around the notion of picking up the reins. As a smaller movie, would Sony have thought this was marketable enough before then? Would Jason have been too intimidated to touch it? Would Murray have come back? At the very least, I think this movie looks much different if Feig's never exists.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
philmorgan81 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm
timeware wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm Anyone think that making the sherrif the villain would be to easy? I would love to see that role reserved for Dan.

You want Ray to be the bad guy?
I want to see him as the Sheriff. Making the Sherrif the villain would be typical Hollywood.
Keep in mind that GB16 was necessary to get GB:A. Remember that veto rights were still split up between Reitman, Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis. This is what allowed Murray to torpedo GB3 for so many years.

The reboot only happened because they sat down to renegotiate things. GB16 not having to involve him I'm sure is what got Murray to relinquish his power of veto. No reboot, no eventual sequel. Even if Murray wasn't in GB:A, he at least couldn't keep it from happening anymore.

So yeah, I'm glad GB16 happened, even if I don't think it's anything to write home about.
Last edited by DocLathropBrown on December 6th, 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzarat, *NormalGamer*, tylergfoster and 1 others liked this
By SSJmole
Hairy Biker wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:24 pm I don't like saying this, but I think we owe this to Paul Feig.
If he hadn't screwed up so epically we wouldn't have a third movie.
It breaks my heart to give him credit.
He didn't screw up! He got targeted by anti-women groups online (alot of most out spoken were the same as ganergate people. ) And it got bombed with so much hatred that even speaking of it before it came out had death threats sent to people. A teenage girl in my family was threated (people calling the her to die) and harassed for saying she was excited then her picture posted online asking anyone who sees her to kill her because she liked it when she saw. It was sick. And bled out to real world where same girl got threatened bin street for wearing a t-shirt with logo.

The "remake" exuse I agree not everyone would see. And not seeing based on remake is valid. But last few years Spider-Man , Godzilla , king Kong , lion king , child's play and more = rebooted and they didn't get the toxic hatred that one did.

That said the new film does sound good , hopefully it's enjoyable
Last edited by SSJmole on December 6th, 2019, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By timeware
Has the deputy been listed? I can see Ray taking a role of authority to protect future Ghostbusters to avoid Walter Peck type figures, or even running as Mayor.

I'm wondering if we'll get dukes of hazard styled Chase's and car jumps.
By SSJmole
timeware wrote: December 6th, 2019, 6:06 pm Has the deputy been listed? I can see Ray taking a role of authority to protect future Ghostbusters to avoid Walter Peck type figures, or even running as Mayor.

I'm wondering if we'll get dukes of hazard styled Chase's and car jumps.
I'd be more worried they'd make Peter mayor. Only reason as I've said in past is EVERYTHING has to do a satire on trump now. I don't like trump but I'm sick of that (even Will and Grace did that when they returned which pissed me off as I wanted to watch Will and Grace not the same jokes everyone is telling) and I'd worry they'd try and shoe horn that in for easy reactions

But I really hope they don't. I just wouldn't be surprised if they did if that makes sense lol
By SSJmole
I know they did it with the board game but cinematic universe is all the rage now. Everyone wants to be like marvel.

Is there any chance this will have a post credits scene to tie MIB and this together?

Personally I think there's huge money there lol
By timeware
Peter's probobly going to have little time as possible. We haven't seen any leaked photos yet so we won't know for sure until Monday.

I just don't see Venkman being a dominate role when the pics from Vanity Fair are focusing on the kids.

Almost a full year since the first trailer was released.
SSJmole, *NormalGamer* liked this
By janeb984
Corey91 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 3:06 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm My alternate take is that Egon is not Callie's father, and Oliver Cooper maybe plays an estranged brother to Egon who is actually the dead dad, with flashbacks. Egon tried to reconcile, stumbled on the town. Hard to believe Egon would be a deadbeat dad. Unless we go back to the sperm donor theory.

Oh this is interesting...that would be a cool twist. Hard to believe he would have never been mentioned, but at the same time I don't recall them ever talking about their family besides the line about Ray mortgaging his family's farm?

What if Egon has been gone most of Callies life. It would account for the condition of the house if whatever happened, happened in the 90s. It destroyed the business, broke everyone up, and Janine took their daughter somewhere else to start over, because it was all too painful to talk about.
By Kingpin
JonXCTrack wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:06 pm
pizzarat wrote:
Yeah, but the leak explaining the essence of that scene is a complete coincidence, right?
I can assure you that teachers pull the blinds and shut the lights off when they're projecting something on the walls. This is not necessarily in off hours, and I'm pretty sure no summer school classes for 12 year olds are being taught after sun down.
Well...

Option 1: The kids go looking for him and find him at the school after hours. (A darkened/gloomy classroom doesn't mean it's nighttime, some parts of some schools are better lit by natural light than others)
Option 2: He's found a Trap, rather than the kids bring one to him, and he's studying it after school's recessed for the day.

The image suggests, but doesn't prove the leak is correct. However, I think the "leak" still is the product of lucky guesswork.
Kingpin wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Hairy Biker wrote: December 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm So he represents most of us?
Yep, while Phoebe probably represents Violet Ramis in a number of ways.
You're right! I never thought of that. I totally see it now.
I imagine Violet Ramis n Jason Reitman might be friends. They probably somewhat grew up together.
If we're speculating on the metatextual aspects of this movie, here's my guess:

When Jason started out in 2005, he was interested in establishing himself as a filmmaker, and his dad was off doing his own projects. Now, Ivan Reitman's 73 years old and hasn't made a movie since 2014's Draft Day. He's 74, which is getting up there. I imagine that there was a sense after Ghostbusters (2016) wasn't a hit that even if another opportunity for the franchise came along, it wasn't going to be like this one, and maybe Ivan expressed that to him.

For Jason, this can be sort of a future hypothesis and a tribute in which he is represented by the McKenna Grace character, who learns that her family has this Ghostbusters legacy, which is about canon in the film and pop culture in reality. Grace's character will explore and revisit this thing that's part of her family and reconnect to someone who isn't there, just that Jason gets to establish this piece of art that expresses what he feels while his dad is still with us. The idea that Violet plays into that is a bonus, enriching the emotional layers even further.

I think Rudd as fan fits into that, although as you can see, I'm not sure that's where the parent/child bond is gonna be strongest, IMO.
Last edited by tylergfoster on December 7th, 2019, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roopjm liked this
By timeware
Those streams maybe unrelated to the movie. At first I thought they were proton beams, then after taking a second look they resemble the ghosts escaping from the containment unit. One of the older posters show the three og's firing at something that didn't make the film. Might not really mean anything except to show the Ghostbusters are back in action. Although ghost tornados would be a cool thing to see, and it's probably going to be how scy fy tops sharknado.
By Dr.D
Very true. Only reason I mentioned it was the distinctive curve and the two beams, given we know there is a Shandor connection to the mine, didn't seem like a total leap in logic to assume Keymaster and Gatekeeper.

Maybe Carrie and Paul are chosen? Kids and OGBs gotta save em.
By Dr.D
Not sure. I think it would be a bit of a mistake to totally cut them out of the trailer, simply because I feel like that is the quickest way to let the audience know this isn't a reboot. But who knows. Maybe some very quick shots.
BatDan liked this
By Alphagaia
It might start with a montage of ghostbusting from the original movies only to slowly fade out into darkness and perhaps a shot of a cemetery where they bury Egon.

Next shot, the mother open the door to the house they inherited. The music swells as they find the ecto and take it for a joyride. Etc.
Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]