Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
DocLathropBrown wrote: October 21st, 2019, 1:35 pm Yeah, I said it like an ass, but that was indeed the message.

Some fans seem to be stuck into certain mindsets and whine about things not being a certain way that pleases them--never realizing that some things can never realistically live up to their fantasies and well, that irritates me. Normally I never say anything but sometimes, I'm compelled to rant against such, um... "pedantism" (I suppose you'd call it?).

The kind of fan that does this usually ends up being the fan that never shuts up about how mad/disappointed they are, and always goes out of their way to derail positive conversations against said topic. I think we could all use a lot less of that.

TL/DR: We all need some pink slime vibes.
And all of this I 100% agree with, I just found irony in the way it was worded.

Like you said, we've literally seen maybe what... an inkling of a scene that will encompass what... maybe a couple minutes of the final film? We literally don't know what it will or could be. People need to calm down. I agree with your overall point.
DocLathropBrown liked this
New question for all:

What would you like to see/hear from the soundtrack? Would you prefer music that gives kind of an 80’s vibe, or something similar to what tops the charts today? And assuming the theme song gets at least a couple of bars, would you want the Ray Parker Jr version or a cover by someone more contemporary?
By SpaceBallz
Honestly after ATC came out I'm kinda pop'd-out with the music. I'll be content with orchestral and the GB theme (original RPJ, nothing remixed or re-recorded).

I'll make an exception if its spooky in tune with the film. Billy Eilish may be able to pull it off. Its gotta be spooky though, like "magic" or "flip city." I dont wanna dance to it, but have a "oh shits going down!" Feeling when it's on.
BatDan, groschopf, back liked this
By BatDan
Michael Scott wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 10:04 am New question for all:

What would you like to see/hear from the soundtrack? Would you prefer music that gives kind of an 80’s vibe, or something similar to what tops the charts today? And assuming the theme song gets at least a couple of bars, would you want the Ray Parker Jr version or a cover by someone more contemporary?
Original version. There's about 5 billion covers, remixes, mashups out there..and while fun, none have caught the right 'tone' of the original RPJ theme, i dont know what it is, it just captures that campy fun the movies do so well.

I'm not too big a fan of modern 'contemporary' music, it's become way too candy coated corporate mush in recent years it lacks the 'fun' and 'personality' of yesteryear. but that's a 'grumpy old man' rant for another day...long story short, modern music is so bland and lifeless it makes my ears bleed.

We already saw what a modern Ghostbusters soundtrack is like in the 2016 version..and it was awful, aside from the Walk the Moon cover, it was disposable. none of it felt "ghostbusters' to me, despite almost 90% being covers of the theme.

the only 'modern' day musician that hit that fun 80s R&B spark is probably Bruno Mars. "Uptown Funk" alone is very Bobby Brown/Prince/Ray Parker Jr sounding. Billy Eilish like Mike said is a pretty good choice too, Melanie Martinez has that 'dark pop' vibe to her as well.

But all in all..I'd rather a solid score reminiscent of Elmer or Edelman with the RPJ theme popping in when necessary.
SpaceBallz liked this
By groschopf
I too would prefer orchestral arrangements for majority of the music and the original theme. There were some awful covers of the Ray Parker song on the 2016 soundtrack.

If they're going to insert any pop music in the film, I'd prefer they go with music that compliments the characters rather than trying to book some name for the soundtrack that doesn't necessarily seem to fit the film.

For instance, I still want to say Ray on film accompanied to a Booker T and the MG's tune likeHang 'Em High or Run Tank Run. Get that Blues Brothers flavor and unsettling organ music for a "Back in the Saddle" kind of moment. Skip forgettable tracks like Air Supply's "I Can Wait Forever" that only appear diagetically for a split second.

Hell, Ghost Riders in the Sky by Johnny Cash would have been an appropriate track if Dan hadn't used it in Blues Brothers 2000. Oklahoma friendly... supernaturally-themed... appropriate to have an older hero ride in to battle with.
BatDan, SpaceBallz, back liked this
By timeware
I think a good scene would involve the kids channel surfing in the car, crank up the radio when the theme song plays. Only the theme song is a bug Buster's, or car sales commercial using the gb theme song.
By robbritton
I think I’m in a field of one, but I want the tradition of contemporary music accompanying an orchestral score to continue. It’s a key part of one and two, and I fear that losing the pop might be like Red Dwarf without the laugh track - just missing something, y’know?
Corey91, groschopf liked this
By Kingpin
ET3_Cisco_Blaine wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am Does anybody else think this is going to suck for any concrete reasons? I haven't really seen anything that makes me feel good.
So far I'm really looking forward to the new movie, what few wobbles I've had over elements of the content I've seen, I've managed to walk off as I have faith in what Jason is producing.
ET3_Cisco_Blaine wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:44 amThey're using kids because Stranger Things has been a hit.
It's an easy conclusion to draw, but it may not be the actual reason why kids have been brought in to serve as a significant part of the new cast. Indeed we've established the gear's heavy and dangerous, but depending on what happens in the plot, they may not be lugging it around much by themselves.
ET3_Cisco_Blaine wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:44 amOn top of that, they've thrown out the game.
The jury's still out on that one. There's a quote attributed to Ivan indicating the game's no longer canon, but the wording attributed to him has been subsequently disputed, and believed not to be as dismissive as first believed.
ET3_Cisco_Blaine wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:44 amI have little hope for this film, and I'll bet it's worse than the reboot.
I don't see why you're feeling that way, I feel there's plenty that's already trickled out of the film for fans to enjoy, and I believe we will be pleasantly surprised by the final result. It's not going to be the Ghostbusters III we've been dreaming about, because the deadline for that happening was at least 19 years ago, if not closer to 25. This won't be the Ghostbusters III we've wanted for years, but it can still be a good Ghostbusters movie. :)
RichRyan1507, robbritton, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
By robbritton
ET3_Cisco_Blaine wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am ...I'm just scared they're gonna keep grinding it up for a quick buck, and nothing I've seen has encouraged me to think otherwise.
You’ve gathered quite a lot from a couple of cast and location photos and some quick videos of the Ecto. I don’t think any of us really knows what the heck this will be yet, and indeed what elements of the EU it will respect. But I mean, the Tobin’s Spirit Guide prop we saw has a J.H. prefix, which as far as I’m aware comes solely from the 80’s role-playing game (and subsequently IDW). So even the tiny amount we have seen refers to deep GB lore outside of the first two movies. So the game being allowed to coexist by this new film is not outside the realms of possibility.

As for kids post Stranger Things? Well sure, it makes financial sense to be comparable to something contemporary, even if only in passing. But equally, Aliens and Poltergeist are both stone cold classics that revolve at least partly around kids - just because kids might be the focus, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re doing all the heavy lifting, be it literally or figuratively.

Personally, I’m waiting for at least a trailer until I start nailing my colours to any masts.
It's true that we have seen relatively little of what the film will entail, but I am remaining very optimistic that it will be a very enjoyable film. I find it incredibly fun and exciting to see the Ecto-1 being utilized more than just for getting from Point A to Point B or in a montage! Even with the emphasis being on the kids and not on the original cast, the threads clearly run deep between these films and you can tell that Jason and Ivan are aiming to do right by the originals.

Honestly, there is a lot riding on this film in terms of what it means to the survival of the brand moving forward and the impact it can continue to have with future generations. That's also why you see such a huge push for new merchandising and other cross-promotional efforts - this is a major brand for Sony and they need it to remain a profitable and popular one. The Reitmans are no doubt aware of the importance of getting this film right, especially after the misstep of the reboot.

I am THRILLED the reboot was a huge failure - because I really don't think we would have gotten a proper sequel to right the GB ship had it been successful.

Just think, within 2 months we'll very likely have a great first look at what the film holds and, to me, that is VERY exciting! I still cannot believe that a year ago, none of us would have believed this film would ever get made and now look where we are... Great time to be a GB fan!
RichRyan1507, back liked this
robbritton wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm I think I’m in a field of one, but I want the tradition of contemporary music accompanying an orchestral score to continue. It’s a key part of one and two, and I fear that losing the pop might be like Red Dwarf without the laugh track - just missing something, y’know?
I strongly disagree here. There's a charm to the music used in the first two movies due to the pop aesthetic of the '80s. But movies have moved away from that sort of thing and I just don't want to hear Missy Elliot, Shawn Mendes, Katy Perry or whoever. No contemporary music.

Unless it's period music? That's one thing. The best part of Indiana Jones 4 is the opening with the Elvis music. It was unexpected and really cool. Provided a nice jolt of energy.

One of the things I'm most excited for is who gets the composer gig. I really hope it's someone that deals in full, classic style orchestral music vs the Hans Zimmer sound. Howard Shore would be my top choice.
By groschopf
Huh. Where have I seen that book in the lower left before... oh yes! This thread.
This Post Contains Spoilers
mrmichaelt, Corey91 liked this
By groschopf
robbritton wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm I think I’m in a field of one, but I want the tradition of contemporary music accompanying an orchestral score to continue. It’s a key part of one and two, and I fear that losing the pop might be like Red Dwarf without the laugh track - just missing something, y’know?
That's... a convincing point. It's totally on brand.

It's hard to know what would fit, considering how little we know about the final film. But based on spoilers seen thus far, we could probably lob a couple of suggestions Reitman's way. Here's a Spotify playlist of potential songs I slapped together.
robbritton, back liked this
By Davideverona
Speaking of the material we saw up until now, I remember they had a town meeting in Fort McLeod and the head of the production crew said that the Ecto Joyride scene is a mere 4 minutes in the movie.

I think we can safely say that we haven't seen absolutely nothing.
timeware liked this
By Alphagaia
You know what I'm looking forward to?

New iconic (ghost) characters.

Ofcourse it's going to be a treat to see the old busters for (probably?) one last time, and I like Stay Puft and Slimers design, but I'm also looking really forward to the new ghosts and how Paul Rudd will fit in all of this. He is capable of doing good and evil (just started Living with myself), and I'm curious if he will be over the top like Janosz or Tully or more the normal man role, like Winston. Someone to explain the lore to.
Kids will be probably just be (socially akward) kids, though we can expect great performances from them.

The ghosts are always a joy in design. ATC gave us some great new designs with Thin Man, Rowan's Ghost and ofcourse the very detailed Aldridge, but I hope we will also get some more otherworldly ghosts, like the the weird snake on wings that jumped out of the subway in GB1 during the montage.

Bring it on!
Coover5 wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 1:32 am We haven't been this divided since the debate over whether the no-ghost symbol red was crimson or scarlet. We lost so many good men to that battle.
"It was a horse! It was a mule!"

Fiddler on the Roof fans represent!

I think this has been covered before, but whatever. What style of proton beam do y'all wanna see in GB2020? Ghostbusters 1 BOSS films style OR the GB2 lasso ILM style? Or something new?

I'm on record as saying the Ghostbusters 2 beams are superior by virtue of just being more consistent looking.
However, that being said, the best the beams ever looked, in my opinion, is during the showdown with Gozer and the "Aim for the flat top" bit. Plus that amazing EPIC shot of the GB's lighting Mr. Stay Puft up? When I saw that shot of the GB's shooting up Mr. Stay Puft at the recent theatrical re release, I was blown away by how well it all holds up. It's simply wonderful. No matte lines, no nothing. Just pure spectacle filmmaking at its finest. What a shot!

But the lasso effect is great from GB2 and the beams in GB2 always look more consistent. So I'd go with that look.

I wasn't a fan of the big fat thick beams from GB16. Somehow the beams looked more fake in GB16 than in the originals. Anyone else notice that? They just looked off. I think it's maybe the CGI vs the hand drawn rotoscope nature of the original? I'm not sure. Somehow that older FX style feels more tactile & real than the CGI thick beams.
Last edited by RichardLess on October 23rd, 2019, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
back liked this
By deadderek
I'm with Alpha on hoping for some new iconic ghosts! Seriously Slimer and Stay Puft have been...done to death.
Alphagaia, robbritton, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:52 amHowever, that being said, the best the beams ever looked, in my opinion, is during the showdown with Gozer and the "Aim for the flat top" bit.
Those were definitely the best, not just visually vibrant, but dynamic in their animation as well.

That's one of my minor pet peeves about Ghostbusters, one of the flaws with the proton streams being hand animated is that in the first film they're often inconsistent, in on scene they're bucking and flexing like ribbon, or a fire hose, in the next sequence they're like laser beams: ramrod straight.

Whilst the streams in Ghostbusters II seemed weaker, like they were underpowered, they at least looked the same from scene to scene to scene.

Ideally, I'd like 2020 to use the best of both worlds, the wild ribbon of energy of GB1, the consistent look of GB2, the lasso effect of GB2 at times, and the thickness/vibrancy of GB1.

And I'm sure we'll be pleased with what we'll get, the proton streams in Answer The Call looked good, and were consistent, so I'm confident in the digital technology approach.
deadderek, Alphagaia, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By RedSpecial
Yeah, definitely the closeup of the streams at the "aim for the flat top" moment.
As well as the ballroom scene and the maid scene.

The GB streams just have that special quality that the GB2 streams seem to lack for me.

I really like those too, mind you but they look a bit too refined in the style and animation department.
The rubberised light effect with wild movements and hand drawn style of the original streams just feels like it fit better.

Although I'm under no delusion that well get them in GB3.
Most likely they'll take cues from both and present a much more refined CG version.

deadderek liked this
Michael Scott wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 10:04 am New question for all:

I just feel like soundtracks, as a whole, are kinda lame nowadays. Outside of Guardians of the Galaxy, which uses older hits, most just have modern popular artists do covers that are often quite forgettable.

There's been plenty of great scores recently, but in general soundtracks seem to be an afterthought now.

That said, I would love nothing more than for a soundtrack to be more like the 80's, in terms of fitting, fun, good music.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By timeware
As for new ghosts there are plenty of civil war examples that would make for great villains. Now I tried to gather the research before posting this but I recall there was an evil nanny who locked up a bunch of kids. There are generals from both sides that led soldiers to avoidable deaths. Then we have Spirit lore from the tribes in Oklahoma so I'm hoping Jason takes inspiration from them. I believe ghost adventures did an episode on the nanny but it's been so long since I've seen it.
By Kingpin
Initially I didn't think there'd be a way to make the soundtrack predominantly 80s/90s themed over more modern fare from today's market (though I'm not so stuck in the mud to be against contemporary music from the 2010s) - but then it hit me, it'd be like The World's End, and the kids find an anchient mix tape in Ecto-1's stereo.
Alphagaia, Glenn Frederick, Scum and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 9:02 am Initially I didn't think there'd be a way to make the soundtrack predominantly 80s/90s themed over more modern fare from today's market (though I'm not so stuck in the mud to be against contemporary music from the 2010s) - but then it hit me, it'd be like The World's End, and the kids find an anchient mix tape in Ecto-1's stereo.
Oh, that's just awesome. I'd love it if they start the music that ends when Ray and Winston talk about the Bible. Will we finally hear it all?
back liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]