Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
...or maybe it's buzzwords to let the layman know that it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than the reboot?

It's a sad state of affairs, that I don't feel I can reasonably share potential excitement about the new film with other 'fans,' because too many fans either won't stop bitching about the reboot, or be realistic with their expectations for the new film.

Let's address something outright: the new film will never be good enough.

I don't just mean to naysayers, I don't just mean to haters. I mean even to ME.

The Ghostbusters III I dreamed of would have happened in the mid-'90s. The chance for a GB3 that fulfills the kind of desires we ALL wanted is long past, and people need to accept that. Even if you were more than happy to see the OGBs being so aged, I don't think anybody's ideal GB3 is missing Egon. With Harold Ramis passed away, the ideal, fanboy's-wet-dream GB3 is now off the table. The writing has been on the wall since 2014.

To a certain subset of the populace, GB2 was so lackluster that NO GB3 would be good enough. Those people can screw off.

Each one of us needs to look deep within ourselves and question how willing we are to settle for less. This is not my declaration that the new film will be bad, don't dare read it as such. But when it comes to the things we all want to see in another GB film as existing fans, there are things that just aren't gonna happen. We're finishing the trilogy without Egon. That's a huge blow. They took too long to make the film (blame Bill), so the original team (the ones who are left) are too old to (a) be the box office draw any studio would want, and (b) be involved in any intense action. Movies are a business. Existing GB fans won't draw enough at the box office to power a film starring three old men to major box office success. You have to court new fans, or any franchise will die off. Pushing new people to take over the franchise was always going to be the direction GB3 went in, regardless of when it was made.

Okay? So we've now established that no possible GB3 made now will ever be what any of us really want, deep down. So what's left?

Potential new characters we can fall in love with. A continuance of the lore and universe we've already fallen in love with. A chance to see the remaining Superstars of the Supernatural, one last time, to meaningfully pass the torch. An exciting and fun time at your local movie theater.

Gee, it looks to me like the new film seems to hold those cards. Will it be a winning hand? We'll have to wait for the thing to actually come out before we know for sure, but I think it's got fair odds.

Bill, Dan and Ernie won't be the stars. Just accept that and move on, like ****ing adults. Now, anyone who thinks that Ivo Shandor's legacy will be a major component of the new film and the OGBs won't be are deluding themselves. Regardless of how much possible screen time Peter, Winston and Ray have, their part is logically going to be fulfilling. There's no reason to directly call back to the first film so deeply as part of the narrative and not have characters that it will resonate with (hint: it ain't gonna be the new kids). Being dismissive of the film series' legacy already bit the reboot in the ass, so that's why what little we've seen is taking the opposite approach.

"We haven't seen the original cast in any of the leaked stuff so they're not in it and this movie will suck hurr durr..." ...as others have said, all we've SEEN is the Ecto-1 driving around. We haven't even seen the NEW cast doing anything. By THAT logic, Paul Rudd and Finn Wolfhard aren't in this movie, either. Given that the whole damn film has been shot inside soundstages, we can't claim ANYTHING yet, so please, for the love of Harold SHUT THE **** UP WITH THE MORONIC DOOM AND GLOOM BULLSHIT.

Sometimes, I don't think this fanbase even deserves another film with how it acts sometimes. I'm ashamed to be included with some of you.
twmedford23, deadderek liked this
By SpaceBallz
That was too long to read on a Saturday so I'll just say that the new movie should be called Ghostbusters 3.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on October 19th, 2019, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507, Corey91 and 2 others liked this
By timeware
By the time Ghostbusters 5 comes around we should all consider ourselves authors. How many chapters will our posts contribute to the unnoficial giant encyclopedia titled "Nerd's bitching about movies?"
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:40 am Yeah, TLDR, some GBfans are out of touch with reality, movie is gonna be good if you allow it to be different.
Plus or minus some swear words with lots of underlining and italics for emphasis? Yeah. That's pretty much the gist.
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: October 19th, 2019, 10:29 am What you call bullshit, I just call marketing. They want to keep the movie a secret, so there is only so much one can say anyway.

We the fans scour all the interviews which are basically all the same questions and the same answers, but the general people don't watch all those interviews anyways. The biggest problem is the many big shows, news reporters want to have a scoop and hope an actor slips, but essentially it's all just the same.
I work in film marketing so I just call it BS. It's...soul sucking work.

I should note, Paul Rudd is a genuine dude. I wasn't critiquing his Kimmel interview. It's just, he's probably been given suggestions of things to say like "it's for the fans" or whatever. That doesn't mean the movie will be bad or really anything. I just recognize those queued phrases when I see them used multiple times for the same project. Like I said, it's mostly to protect against spoilers. And he's probably a pro at it now having worked on so many Marvel films.

Some of you may have seen this come into play regarding the Game of Thrones final season. There's that infamous red carpet interview where a couple of the actors sound like politcians repeating the party line. Natalie Emmanuel especially. It's pretty funny.
back liked this
Well, Bill Murray came and went.

He shook a lot of hands and had a big smile on his face when he saw us, the Ghostbusters Italia group in full uniforms. Ask GbMax for proof.

He didn't sign anything and he was 90 minutes late. They cancelled a press junket because, when they arrived at his hotel to pick him up he was still in his pajamas. True story.

I assisted at a real interesting chat between Bill and Wes Anderson and I was able to ask him if he's in Gb3.

His answer: "Sure!"
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: October 19th, 2019, 1:52 pm
He didn't sign anything and he was 90 minutes late. They cancelled a press junket because, when they arrived at his hotel to pick him up he was still in his pajamas.
Kingpin, Davideverona, Corey91 and 7 others liked this
By Kingpin
No walls of emoticons, please.

It annoys me more than I'd like just how unprofessional and unreliable Bill is, his actions verge on grade-A jerk behaviour... And he gets away with it because of his body of work.

Anyone else who did that would surely be dropped for being the utmost diva they are.
deadderek, back liked this
By deadderek
groschopf wrote: October 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Kingpin wrote: October 19th, 2019, 3:31 pm And he gets away with it because of his body of work.
I don't know, man. I saw "the Dead Don't Die." He should probably show up on time.
I was so excited...and soooo let down.
groschopf, SpaceBallz liked this
By tylergfoster
While I agree that Bill's attitude is not always charming, I also tried to get his autograph once (I was so close in a way that will haunt me forever), and when he got frustrated and tried to leave, the reaction people had was utterly outrageous. Apparently fans tried to get in the car he and Jan Vogler and other band members were leaving in.
By mrmichaelt
Hey, nice! We made it past 200 pages.

My own theory, after years of reading the stories, is to get Bill's compliance is to give him a fun prop like a bullhorn and to have a responsible friend like Dan Aykroyd to be his chauffeur.

On the GB2020 front, I suspect we should keep eyeballs on film editor Nathan Orloff's twitter. He might drop some editing updates now that the movie is in post.
https://twitter.com/NateOrloff/status/1 ... 5408520192
By Alphagaia
Bill does things he wants that he thinks are the most fun, Dan does things that earn him the most money.

When Bill said Harold did the best writing and Dan did the rest, while he was making a joke, I also think he hits the nail on the head, and it reveals a bit how he views Dan.
By robbritton
Alphagaia wrote: October 20th, 2019, 12:27 am Bill does things he wants that he thinks are the most fun, Dan does things that earn him the most money.

When Bill said Harold did the best writing and Dan did the rest, while he was making a joke, I also think he hits the nail on the head, and it reveals a bit how he views Dan.
I dunno, I think you mainly reserve asides like that for the people you actually like. It felt like friendly teasing to me.
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: October 20th, 2019, 5:10 amhttps://www.mediasetplay.mediaset.it/vi ... 3601169D07

Bill confirms his involvement during an interview with an Italian national television news.
I'm trying to make out exactly what he's saying...
I was really close, like just off camera.

He said, basically, that in the second part of his career he enjoys working with the directors he likes the most, like Sofia Coppola, Wes Anderson and Jim Jarmusch and that he always enjoys working with close friends "for example, I'll be in the next Ghostbusters movie and I'd like to thank all the fans of this franchise"

Closing shot, part of the Ghostbusters Italia team shouting :"Bill Murray, we're ready to believe you!"
deadderek, Sav C, mrmichaelt liked this
By deadderek
I'm being told:

>"...e partecipo al seguito ufficiale di Ghostbusters, che uscirà l'anno prossimo. Saluto tutti i fan di questa fantastica serie cinematografica."
"...and I take part to the official sequel of Ghostbusters, which will come out next year. Hello to all the fans of this fantastic film series".
Alphagaia wrote: October 20th, 2019, 12:27 am Bill does things he wants that he thinks are the most fun, Dan does things that earn him the most money.

That was a joke. There was no more to it than that. It was response to Dan mentioning "Harold wrote a great script". It was the usual Dan taking no credit for himself so Bill stepped in and made light of that. That's all there is to that.

Don't add drama where there is none.
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: October 20th, 2019, 8:32 am

That was a joke. There was no more to it than that. It was response to Dan mentioning "Harold wrote a great script". It was the usual Dan taking no credit for himself so Bill stepped in and made light of that. That's all there is to that.

Don't add drama where there is none.
Hey, if you disagree, you disagree. That's entirely fine.
droidguy1119 wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:13 pm While I agree that Bill's attitude is not always charming, I also tried to get his autograph once (I was so close in a way that will haunt me forever), and when he got frustrated and tried to leave, the reaction people had was utterly outrageous. Apparently fans tried to get in the car he and Jan Vogler and other band members were leaving in.
You wouldn't happen to be referring to "The Portland Incident" would you?
Davideverona wrote: October 20th, 2019, 5:10 amhttps://www.mediasetplay.mediaset.it/vi ... 3601169D07

Bill confirms his involvement during an interview with an Italian national television news.

Yeah I could make out at the end that it sounds like he says, “They are going to be Happy with this one.” Probably referring to fans being happy with the new film. I Have heard that from most of the talent. Even if they have all been instructed to say that it’s good enough for me. :):):)
deadderek liked this
By timeware
I remember when they all said that about atc, but I'm happy with what I've seen so far with gb 20. Droidguy did Bill press any charges when people tried to get into the band's car? Seems to me that would cause any celeb not to offer autographs and pictures. Shatner only does cons now.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]