For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
I just started watching real ghostbusters, and I'm liking it so far. I've heard all kids of horror stories about the 3rd-7th seasons, so I kind of wonder if I should even bother watching them. I feel like I should watch them for completion sake, but if the seasons are really that painful to watch maybe I should just ignore them. Thoughts?
Definitely! Of the post-Season 2 episodes, I'd happily recommend:

The Boogeyman Is Back - Not as good as the original, but still miles better than anything in Season 6
Halloween II½ - Not as good as the original, but still miles better than anything in Season 6
The Grundel - Extremely dark, could've been in the first two seasons, one of J. Michael Straczynski's best late episodes
Big Trouble With Little Slimer - The return of Walter Peck.
The Copycat
Camping It Up
Transylvanian Homesick Blues
The Joke's on Ray
Flip Side
Poultrygeist
Standing Room Only - Featuring one of the biggest, and creative ghost designs the series would feature, Mee-Krah.
Robo-Buster
Short Stuff
Follow That Hearse - Another great, dark episode.
The Brooklyn Triangle
Something's Going Around
If I Were a Witch Man
The Halloween Door

Some folks may disagree with some of the above, and my inclusion of this one on the list:

Elementary My Dear Winston
I'd undoubtedly have to throw in "Janine, You've Changed", where JMS comes back to make some lemonade out of the ruinous "expert"-mandated changes to Janine. That means it's a bit meta, but for a faction of the fandom it also was major payoff for
This Post Contains Spoilers
but Your Mileage May Vary on that point.
I would recommend checking out the rest of the series. The only episode I would skip is Deja Boo. It is just a clip show of way better episodes from the third season. I personally am not a fan of the episode Very Beast Friends from season 6. That one really doesn't feel like a Ghostbusters Episode to me. The guys are without their gear in this one, but I don't think that is what kills it. A couple of really good episodes for earlier seasons managed to keep things feeling like Ghostbusters even when they didn't have their gear like The Devil to Pay, Dairy Farm, Play them Ragtime Boos, and even the Haunting of Heck House were very enjoyable. Heck House is a strong episode from Season 6. I also enjoy The Slob Episode from season 6 and that one is a sequel to Don't Tease The Slease from Slimer. Not Now Slimer from season 7 is a guilty pleasure for me. Probably because I just love it when the guys get slimed. ;)

Yeah I would say just give seasons 3-7 another look. As long as you are aware that there is going to be a dip in quality it won't feel nearly as jarring as when it originally happened. The quality of episodes is not as strong as it starts, but quite a few episodes are still a lot of fun. You really need to check it out and you might find an episode enjoyable that neither Kingpin, Fritz or Myself have recommended. :):):)
pushmipullu liked this
It was nice when all of (most of) the the episodes were still on netflix I find them all entertaining

My girlfriends son really likes the show too we were lucky to find that our local library has a complete set of the DVDs so we check one out whenever we go :love:

My favorite episode is "Its About Time"
Inspired by this thread to dig out old episodes, I watched Ghost World for the first time.

:sigh:

I’d forgotten how much the show deteriorated. Everything about this is cut rate, from the synth-mix of the theme song to the sluggish delivery of the jokes. Is it just me or are the episodes slowed down to fit the time slot?
NSGhostbusters liked this
Yup during season 5 some episodes were sped up or slowed down to fit the hour Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters time slot. One of the most sluggish episodes is Jailbusters. I enjoy the episode, but I think it may actually be the one with the lowest quality of animation and one of the worst when it comes to pacing and continuity errors. Errors were common in the show like characters sometimes wearing the wrong uniform, but this episode really dropped the ball. :):):)
Is anyone else's favourite episode Call of Cthulu? That's one of the only RGB episodes where I'm like "they could've just adapted this to make for Ghostbusters 2". It's fits a lot into a half hour. The stakes are real. Cthulu is a legit threat and the entire thing with the cult is creepy. Probably my favourite episode. I don't think it has one of those cheesey montages with bad music, though I could be wrong.

Oh, I second Kingpin recommendation for The Grundel. It even has a sequel in the sequel series "Extreme Ghostbusters". Grundelesque is the episode name. It's actually better than the original RGB episode. Though I think that goes for most of EGB's episodes.
This could probably be it’s own thread but I always thought Collect Call, Ragnarok & Roll, and Knock Knock were the best candidates for future movies.

My favourite episodes are the smaller scale stuff like Mrs Rogers Neighbourhood, Janine’s Day Off, and Moaning Stones.

God I’m doing this from memory and it’s been 20 years since I watched any of them. I need to make time...
RichardLess wrote: August 25th, 2019, 12:01 pm Is anyone else's favourite episode Call of Cthulu? That's one of the only RGB episodes where I'm like "they could've just adapted this to make for Ghostbusters 2". It's fits a lot into a half hour. The stakes are real. Cthulu is a legit threat and the entire thing with the cult is creepy. Probably my favourite episode. I don't think it has one of those cheesey montages with bad music, though I could be wrong.

Oh, I second Kingpin recommendation for The Grundel. It even has a sequel in the sequel series "Extreme Ghostbusters". Grundelesque is the episode name. It's actually better than the original RGB episode. Though I think that goes for most of EGB's episodes.
When Halloween was Forever, Hanging by a Thread, Collect Call of Cathulu, Ragnarock and Roll, and the Halloween Door are episodes that had stakes as high as the films and could have been easily adapted into a feature. :):):)
Kingpin liked this
GBfan_CH wrote: August 25th, 2019, 4:06 pm This could probably be it’s own thread but I always thought Collect Call, Ragnarok & Roll, and Knock Knock were the best candidates for future movies.

My favourite episodes are the smaller scale stuff like Mrs Rogers Neighbourhood, Janine’s Day Off, and Moaning Stones.

God I’m doing this from memory and it’s been 20 years since I watched any of them. I need to make time...
Hey you have mentioned some of my favorite smaller scale threats the show offered. Mrs Rogers Neighborhood is real high on my list. It is a smaller scale bust, but the threat hits close to home with a powerful deity wanting to breach the containment unit. Between most of the stories of The Real Ghostbusters episodes, The Extreme Ghostbusters Episodes, and some of the stories in the new Comics I think there have been plenty of smaller scale yet very interesting threats. That's why
when it came to the third film my attitude was always go BIG or don't bother. When it comes to the movies I always prefer them to be saving the world. Hell that is the major Tagline for the original film, "Coming to Save The World This Summer." To me that Tagline is just as important as, "We're Ready To Believe You" and "Who Ya Gonna Call?" :):):)
philmorgan81 wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:03 am Yup during season 5 some episodes were sped up or slowed down to fit the hour Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters time slot. One of the most sluggish episodes is Jailbusters. I enjoy the episode, but I think it may actually be the one with the lowest quality of animation and one of the worst when it comes to pacing and continuity errors. Errors were common in the show like characters sometimes wearing the wrong uniform, but this episode really dropped the ball. :):):)
Is that true? Because on the newer DVD and streaming services, they (the full-length episodes) are all in their correct speed, though "Three Men and an Egon" is a minute faster, and "If I Were a Witch Man" has slowed down openings and closings. I don't think they aired so sluggish originally.

My understanding is that they were slowed down because of a bad NTSC-to-PAL conversion.
Vahan wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 8:59 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:03 am Yup during season 5 some episodes were sped up or slowed down to fit the hour Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters time slot. One of the most sluggish episodes is Jailbusters. I enjoy the episode, but I think it may actually be the one with the lowest quality of animation and one of the worst when it comes to pacing and continuity errors. Errors were common in the show like characters sometimes wearing the wrong uniform, but this episode really dropped the ball. :):):)
Is that true? Because on the newer DVD and streaming services, they (the full-length episodes) are all in their correct speed, though "Three Men and an Egon" is a minute faster, and "If I Were a Witch Man" has slowed down openings and closings. I don't think they aired so sluggish originally.

My understanding is that they were slowed down because of a bad NTSC-to-PAL conversion.
Oh trust me I grew up watching these and even had a good majority of these on tape. I would record them every Saturday. The season five episodes that were sped up or slowed down did indeed air that way originally. It is something I noticed back then and never understood why. It had only been through discussing the show through the internet and my own research over the years that I eventually found out what I know now. ;) As for the the way they are played on the newer DVDs I will have to check that out. I have the newer DVDs, but Only watched one episode to see how it differed from the Time Life Set. Again if the episodes are less sluggish I will have to check that out. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on October 24th, 2020, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
I was unsure about watching them too a year or so ago when they popped up on Netflix, as I really dislike the changed they made to the series after that season. However I went though them all anyway and I'd say its interesting at the very least to just see the later episodes and there are some good episodes here and there.
pushmipullu wrote: August 9th, 2019, 11:19 am I just started watching real ghostbusters, and I'm liking it so far. I've heard all kids of horror stories about the 3rd-7th seasons, so I kind of wonder if I should even bother watching them. I feel like I should watch them for completion sake, but if the seasons are really that painful to watch maybe I should just ignore them. Thoughts?
I know this is an old post but personally, I'd just watch the first 78 episodes if I were you. :cool:
groschopf liked this
I would say it "jumped the shark" at least three times:
1) The second ABC season, with Music and Summer replaced by Coulier and Soucie (both of whom I think are very talented but don't enjoy as much in the roles) and the Q5 recommendations being implemented. This is more of a "good news, bad news" situation though because while some of the writing was watered down, the animation this season is strong and it does have some pretty good episodes. These episodes are worth watching IMO.
2) At some point in 88 or 89 when the show became Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters! there were quite a few RGB episodes that were only 11 minutes or so long, with much simpler plots played almost entirely for laughs. I wouldn't say these were terrible necessarily, but they are verrrry fluffy. But at least in this period these episodes would alternate with some strong full length episodes like The Halloween Door and Future Tense. (Personally I like Buster Jones as Winston quite a bit so this isn't a significant demerit for me)
3) In the final two seasons DIC started outsourcing the animation to far cheaper and less experienced companies and on top of a sharp increase in sloppy animation errors the show lost its cool Anime aesthetic in a favour of an IMO far less appealing and more generic aesthetic. In tandem with Haim Saban and Shuki Levy's music cues being retired, it basically feels like an entirely different show, and not a good one.

That said, if you're a big enough GB fan to be here I think there worth watching at least once. And you can never be sure what your own opinions will be.
Kingpin liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]