Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By Kingpin
Would you be able to post the link for the glasses? Whilst movie Egon's look closer to his XGB counterpart's, RGB Egon's glasses look spot on. :)

Nice use of the Kenner Ecto-1A slime decals, were those vintage, or reproductions?
Kingpin wrote:Would you be able to post the link for the glasses? Whilst movie Egon's look closer to his XGB counterpart's, RGB Egon's glasses look spot on. :)

Nice use of the Kenner Ecto-1A slime decals, were those vintage, or reproductions?
None have popped up on a eBay search. I got all mine last year. I'll keep looking. Thank you! I've always wanted a GB II firehouse being attacked by psycho reactive slime.
By Alex Newborn
Wade Haddock wrote: May 8th, 2019, 4:35 pmImage
Has anyone noticed how the Toysrus version has the leg hose connector and the Select version does not.
I had not noticed that until seeing this post, but I can confirm it.

Here's a pic I took of the carded figures side by side about three weeks ago.

I opened the one with the dio piece, of course, but luckily my TRU non-dio version is still carded.

I'll keep him on the card now as a variant, rather than use him for a planned gray-suit-slime-blower custom. (I recently had to replace the dio-version of gray-suit Egon whose thrower cord broke, so I'll use that broken Egon for the custom instead.)

By the way, the two Egon versions don't have the leg-hose connector variation.

Has anyone got side-by-side pics of the regular and deluxe issues of "We're Back" Venkman and Zeddemore to compare? I only bought the dio versions of those two.

Alex
By Kingpin
You too, huh? My "We're Back" Egon also had a snapped thrower hose.

The leg hose connector appears to be unique to the Toys 'R' Us version of "We're Back" Ray (I wasn't able to find any photos of the Toys-R-Us version of "We're Back" Winston for comparison).
By Doctor Venkman
So we knew about the "Slimed Ghostbusters" 4 pack that Diamond was doing for SDCC. Here's some shots of the packaging.

But the big news... They just announced another one. RGB Spectral Busters, with Stay Puft, and electrified Terror Dog. $120 for the set (which is a great price).

Anyone going to SDCC that is willing to help me out? Pretty please!

UPLOADING PICS!
By Wiggyof9
mcbenzi_ghost wrote:New head sculpt on RGB Egon??
I dont think so. They all look the same, but the paint work really adds to them.

This is exactly the kind of box set I want to see. Hopefully its a shared exclusive as the box suggests.
@Leolao, I would imagine so, a few other San Diego Comic Con exclusives have appeared at Gamestop a few months later like NECA'S Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures based on the 1990 movie. Really hope that I can get this for my collection, since Citizen Ghost is my favorite Real Ghostbusters episode and ever since DST produced the Real Ghostbusters action figures, I have been wanting more.
These are so lazy. Using the same molds (except for Egon)and repeating the Minimates line.

I love how DST just release the lowest cost items (plus forcing you to buy their terrible Stay Puft / Terror Dog) and fans are all over it. Yet those gorgeous Chronicle figures are blasted for being too expensive. If you guys didn't buy all these cheap toys, you'd easy have enough for the Chronicle ones. Personal preference, but DST can keep these for me.
Croker liked this
By ccv66
Its definitely lazy, but most comic Con exclusives are just variants anyways. Its more disappointing that this is probably it for DST, these would have definitely been in the next series if the were planning to do more. So it probably part lazy/cheap and part not having enough time. Maybe get lucky and they'll do a ghost box set before the years out, but doubt it.. The RGB chronicle isn't about price, but value. The blitzway figures are more expensive, but I feel like you get more for your money. Even if each chronicle statue was $100 cheaper, I'd still be wishy-washy about it
Ideally, there’d be some high quality figures that cost somewhere between $25 and $150. And I appreciate if we weren’t buying the lesser quality stuff we wouldn’t get the high end. Neither is perfect because the Chronicle aren’t posable and the have taken some artistic license with the sculpts (injecting Murray into RGB Venkman). I’d prefer straight Season 1 recreations. And then some of the obscurer ghosts and Janine with her Sandman GB costume and pack.

All I’m saying is that for the cost of this set, you could nearly afford one of the Chronicle statues, and that’s a lot more aesthetically pleasing to display than these figs imo.

Also minor point: They couldn’t use translucent green plastic for the heads/hands?

(I’m not on commission from Chronicle btw, just a bigger RealGB fan than the movies and it’s been poorly represented in merch post-Kenner).
ccv66 liked this
By ccv66
No one's been perfect with the GB license, DST has some home runs and misses. None should be judged till you see them in person. Even though the Chronicles are better, they all seem a little off. Even the $400 Hollywood collectables aren't quite right. Oddly enough I'm not interested in the original 4, but I would pay $150 for a 10" boogyman, Samhain or peoplebusters statues. RGB definitely been under utilized. They can make every He-man under the sun but we can't get some ghosts and Props.
Last edited by ccv66 on June 27th, 2019, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccv66 wrote: June 27th, 2019, 4:00 am No one's been perfect with the GB license, DST has some home runs and misses. None should be judged till you see them in person. Even though the Chronicles are better, they all seem a little off. Even the $400 Hollywood collectables aren't quite right. Oddly enough I'm not interested in the original 4, but I would pay $150 for a 10" boogyman, Samhain or peoplebusters statues
I’d certainly buy some ghosts:

Sam Hain
Sandman
Mooglie (Walking down the street pose)
Drool
Janine with overalls and pack (Mr. Sandman)
The Deadly Three / Giant Imp

No chance of that last one but they would look so cool - some of the best designed ghosts in the series.
By Doctor Venkman
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 27th, 2019, 1:45 am Ideally, there’d be some high quality figures that cost somewhere between $25 and $150. And I appreciate if we weren’t buying the lesser quality stuff we wouldn’t get the high end. Neither is perfect because the Chronicle aren’t posable and the have taken some artistic license with the sculpts (injecting Murray into RGB Venkman). I’d prefer straight Season 1 recreations. And then some of the obscurer ghosts and Janine with her Sandman GB costume and pack.

All I’m saying is that for the cost of this set, you could nearly afford one of the Chronicle statues, and that’s a lot more aesthetically pleasing to display than these figs imo.

Also minor point: They couldn’t use translucent green plastic for the heads/hands?

(I’m not on commission from Chronicle btw, just a bigger RealGB fan than the movies and it’s been poorly represented in merch post-Kenner).
I think that's part of the issue... you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

You're suggesting people buy statues, that don't have any articulation, admittedly took some liberties with the likenesses, and are more expensive for one than buying this set of 6 figures.

You're entitled to your opinion, but chastising people for wanting something that is arguably much cooler is a bit odd.

If one bought the RGB figures that DST put out, they'd have all four RGBs, Slimer, Angry Stay Puft, Normal Stay Puft, a Spectral Terror Dog, and the Citizen Ghost 'Busters (an absolute fan favorite) all for the cost of... less than two of those statues. Taking into account the cost of the statues, someone could buy all of that and have $330 leftover to spend on other things. The chastising is definitely a bit odd, in my opinion.
Kingpin liked this
Doctor Venkman wrote: June 27th, 2019, 7:20 am I think that's part of the issue... you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

You're suggesting people buy statues, that don't have any articulation, admittedly took some liberties with the likenesses, and are more expensive for one than buying this set of 6 figures.

You're entitled to your opinion, but chastising people for wanting something that is arguably much cooler is a bit odd.

If one bought the RGB figures that DST put out, they'd have all four RGBs, Slimer, Angry Stay Puft, Normal Stay Puft, a Spectral Terror Dog, and the Citizen Ghost 'Busters (an absolute fan favorite) all for the cost of... less than two of those statues. Taking into account the cost of the statues, someone could buy all of that and have $330 leftover to spend on other things. The chastising is definitely a bit odd, in my opinion.
Ok so I should apologise for any chastisement, I mean no disrespect, but at the same time I’m kind of surprised by the community. I know I’m not going to change anyone’s mind here, but hear me out.

They are apples and oranges in a sense, but... in the gaming community which shares some overlap, expensive statues and collectors editions are a regular thing. And expensive figure collecting is a thing. And I think when you’re collecting there is a hierarchy of aesthetic and class of item. Statues are at the top end of that heirarchy andare produced to a higher standard in limited numbers and therefore have higher value.

Articulation is actually no big deal to me because it leads to some of the ugliness of the DST line but there’s nothing wrong with having those figures, I have some, but we’ve only had 3 lines of Real GB figures in since Kenner, all in the last 10 years. When the DST figures dropped I wished we’d get high end figures and am extremely happy that happened, and yeah they’re not perfect but they’re a good 85-90% likeness.

I guess what confuses me is we see collectors on this board and social media with $1000’s worth of toys, figures, memorabilia, proton packs... and there are so many repeats of the GB1 guys, with slimer variants, Stay Puft, Slimer etc. How many times can we keep buying the same models produced badly? And you’d rather get a dozen or so cheap DST figures, with some flat out awful sculpts, than well modelled, but expensive, Real GB figures. I don’t get the value claim when fans are dropping $1000’s on proton packs. But look, that’s just me and I don’t wanna butt heads with anyone, just making the case for anyone on the fence about where to drop their money.
By Wiggyof9
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:These are so lazy. Using the same molds (except for Egon)and repeating the Minimates line.

I love how DST just release the lowest cost items (plus forcing you to buy their terrible Stay Puft / Terror Dog) and fans are all over it. Yet those gorgeous Chronicle figures are blasted for being too expensive. If you guys didn't buy all these cheap toys, you'd easy have enough for the Chronicle ones. Personal preference, but DST can keep these for me.
I have seen countless people asking for citizen ghost variants. This is not lazy, it is what people have been asking for. The blue terror dog and stay puft are just an extra bonus. The terror dog is basically an rgb variant and who doesn't love an angry stay puft?

The set isn't even overly expensive. Its 120 for 6 figures and all the accessories. Thats 20 bucks a figure. 5 less than the regular line.
Kingpin, Doctor Venkman liked this
By Kingpin
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 26th, 2019, 11:05 pm These are so lazy. Using the same molds (except for Egon)and repeating the Minimates line.
Well gee, guess DST should go bin these then. :eyeroll:

While I appreciate frustration when it comes to it just being a variant instead of a new sculpt, a good many of the exclusives at events like SDCC are just repainted versions... And so what if they're "repeating" something they already did in the minimate range? The spectral Ghostbusters were one of the most iconic and original big bads from the cartoon... It's a pretty fair effort, and a bit more involved than just splattering the figures with green slime or marshmallow.

My only critique with the Terror Dog is that it should be opaque rather than transparent.

Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 26th, 2019, 11:05 pmYet those gorgeous Chronicle figures are blasted for being too expensive.
Because they are too expensive.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 27th, 2019, 1:45 amAll I’m saying is that for the cost of this set, you could nearly afford one of the Chronicle statues, and that’s a lot more aesthetically pleasing to display than these figs imo.
You're kinda proving my point here on the "better value for money" discussion, a fan can get this six-figure set, whose figures can be posed, for less than the cost of one of Chronicle's statues.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 26th, 2019, 11:05 pmPersonal preference, but DST can keep these for me.
Great, less competiton. ;)
grantofkings wrote: June 27th, 2019, 7:22 am One of the guys from DST regularly interacts on The Fwoosh. He confirmed they have translucent heads/hands and green proton streams.
That's excellent news. :) I was just thinking last night that it was a missed opportunity not having the green proton streams. Did the topic on post-con availability at GameStop come up?
By ccv66
I'm buying both slimed and RGB sdcc box sets, plus I already own the sdcc marshmallow set, but let's not act like it isn't a last minute money grab before there license runs out. However it's hard to complain when they're not forcing you to buy theses to complete a diorama or subscription like Matty. I do get the frustration , it does seem like the fan base in general moving towards cheaper products . What I think your missing with chronicle s, is it's not just a money thing. I'm a huge RGB fan and it just doesn't get my interest. It just comes of plain. If the statues were more animated/ dynamic, each figure had a different ghost with it, I'd probably be more prone to buy the $600 set.
Kingpin liked this
By grantofkings
I get the reuse; but if they knew they were going to or had plans to reuse all of the RGB style figures, simplified sculpts could have been made. They’d have gotten two uses per figure (and more if they did another series with potential Kenner homages, like NECA does with Alien/Predator/Terminator). Instead, we get the sixth iteration of the same sculpt.

I don’t really have a dog in this race. Just playing devil’s advocate.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
By Wiggyof9
A company never knows exactly what they will and wont release. The RGB figures were made at the tail end of the fire house series because they did not know if they would do more after series 10. Sales were dwindling and TRU was out of business which took away a huge chunk of sales.

Reusing the movie bodies for the RGB figures isnt ideal, but it works well enough. I would have liked it if they made new upper torsos though. But again, the RGB stuff was a last measure that was unexpected.
Wiggyof9 wrote: June 27th, 2019, 10:36 am I have seen countless people asking for citizen ghost variants. This is not lazy, it is what people have been asking for. The blue terror dog and stay puft are just an extra bonus. The terror dog is basically an rgb variant and who doesn't love an angry stay puft?

The set isn't even overly expensive. Its 120 for 6 figures and all the accessories. Thats 20 bucks a figure. 5 less than the regular line.
I'd be in the market for RGB ghost figures as much as anyone, but Citizen Ghost variants? It's exactly what they did with the Minimates line, because they just re-use the molds and add a new paint job... pretty decent in this case if they used translucent green etc, but it's an easy way to make a quick buck on existing figures which aren't amazing sculpts in the first place, whilst simultaneously garnering good will.

I guess it comes down to personal taste. I don't like their Stay Puft design at all. I don't want a clear blue terror dog (another Minimate repeat) so... $120 for 6 figures isn't a good deal if they look kinda trash.

Not knocking DST for delivering what is financially viable with the IP and their budget, but I just wish we were getting better figures. I think Mattel were maybe better quality, though I like some of DST's GB2 and RGB line. Maybe Hasbro will do more with the license... but my original point is kinda... how many times are fans expected to re-buy the main 4 guys produced by different toy companies with the same variants each go round? I'm operating a one-in-one-out sort of system and only keeping my favourite figures, so for me the Chronicle set will be a prized possession and probably the last GB figures I buy unless someone does something spectacular with the license.
By Dr.D
Normally, I'd not chime in here but I am baffled...how else would fans expect them to make the Spectral GBs? These look exactly like I'd expect and honestly the fact that they made them at all is pretty cool. RGB stuff for years, even with the resurgence of GB, has been few and far between. This set is $20 a figure, which is on the low end of the average for action figures these days.

If the set isn't for you, that's fine. But bashing DST is just kinda immature .
Doctor Venkman, Kingpin liked this
By 910dohead
Yeah, I don't get it either. Personally, I am stoked. I don't mind variants to an extent and these are a good variant. Granted, this would be a lot more cool if it was a 6 pack of figures with Boogeyman, Sandman, Samhain, yadda-yadda-yadda... If it were, most of you would be moaning and groaning that they are a convention exclusive, most likely to sell out, triple in value on the after market and then howl when you either couldn't get your hands on one or refuse to pay triple. I am perfectly fine with a variant to be a con exclusive. Plus, this set makes sense. Yeah, it's a variant. Don't like it? Sure, don't buy it. I don't know why nobody is up in arms about the Slimed 4-pack, which is an actual lazy effort. Green paint and a rehash of an already released figure. Go figure.

Also, nobody knows for certain if Diamond Select are actually losing their GB figure license to Hasbro. That comes from a youtuber touting confirmation, but never providing any actual real proof. Did anyone ever stop to think that Hasbro might have a different GB toy license? Maybe one that is limited specifically to producing Transformers? I would assume the differences in those licenses would be pretty well spelled out from a legal standpoint. Also, did nobody notice that Hasbro's "Kenner Stand" seen at Fan Fest used the exact same distressing artwork that was on the Star Wars Retro line cardbacks? Hmmm? :whatever: Maybe they have something else planned or maybe nothing at all? :vinzclortho:

Kingpin liked this
Dr.D wrote: June 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm Normally, I'd not chime in here but I am baffled...how else would fans expect them to make the Spectral GBs?
When they said they were continuing the RGB line I was hoping we'd get different ghosts. As Spectral GB they look decent and anyone in the market for them should be happy.

Personally I'd question if it's worth adding another set of 4 identical variants to your collection? As pointed out, the 6th time DST have re-used these. So, if you collect, you've now spent $700-800 on these DST figures to have a shelf full of identical sculpts. If you think that looks cool or you enjoy collecting toys then fine, but to me that is not a desirable collection.
These look exactly like I'd expect and honestly the fact that they made them at all is pretty cool. RGB stuff for years, even with the resurgence of GB, has been few and far between. This set is $20 a figure, which is on the low end of the average for action figures these days.

If the set isn't for you, that's fine. But bashing DST is just kinda immature .
Bashing DST for putting in minimal effort isn't immature. Also aside from the sculpt issues the quality of paintwork varies wildly from figure to figure.

I'm an adult with a finite amount of money and space. I'd like to collect some GB & RGB merch and memorabilia but I have to keep it understated because I store them in my study and that has to be a working environment that is semi-professional. Not knocking those who are amassing huge collections of toys.

This community has largely rejected the best set of RGB merch we've received in 30 years because they're too expensive - to the point I'm concerned they might not even proceed with orders. The weekly GB podcast has kind of glossed over them with brief mention, yet dedicated a decent amount of time to discussing the Optimus Prime Ecto - which is $150. And the fanbase seems to love those products despite Optimus Prime GB being literal garbage cash-grab. A huge company taking a mass-produced product, spraying some bits white and sticking a logo. Ectotron himself looks awesome in IDW, but for $50+ the quality of the toy is cheap, with poor paintwork/detail.

It's not immature to say I'm an adult who wants to buy quality products to celebrate my favourite franchise, and for me half a dozen well-produced figures are worth more than 40x variant action figures of the guys.

One final thought, regarding supporting the market of lower-priced mass-produced merch versus higher-end - Chronicle stated if the RGB figures sold well they'd consider doing more and they aren't tied to re-using body sculpts, so that is/was the best chance the community has of getting unique ghost statues like Sam Hain, Sandman etc.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on June 28th, 2019, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Wiggyof9
Everyone collects different things. Thats why there are different types if collectibles. Saying one collection is better or worse is silly.

I prefer action figures because I like to pose then. Statues can offer better detail, but action figures offer the option of changing poses and adding personality to a display.

Yes, we have seen the bodies of the DST stuff many times now. However, DST at least made 4 different bodies and used those for the same characters. There are difference between the 4 main GB figures, unlike what Mattel did.

As for variants, it all depends on what you want. Some change out their displays. For example, I will have the gray suit GBs with santa hats out during the holidays, but for now they sit in a box. I display the marshmallow mess figures on my NECA street scene as if they just finished with Gozer. If we ever get an in scale ecto 1 they will be displayed near it. The RGB figures are currently in front of the firehouse, where the gray suits will be come november. Its all relative.

I have a lot of variants, but all that does is give me display options. So for the 800 or so dollars spent over the last few 3 or 4 years, I have many different displays that I can switch out. If I spent roughly the same on the new RGB statues, I have just one display option. However, statues are generally accepted by most adults as being appropriate to display. Action figures are still seen as just toys.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]