Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Wiggyof9

Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I really hope they are working on Bill Murray so they can announce all 3 of them at the same time.
I think this will be the case. Its also possible that Ernie and Dan's involvement in the story may depend on Bill. Their parts may shrink.or expand depending on his involvement. Frankly, I'd rather a movie with no Bill than a movie with him where he turns in a half assed performance.
By deadderek
I agree the teaser footage won't pop up in the film, but no way it doesn't connect to the plot in any way.

Also I think Fan Fest is a good bet for the reveal that the original Ghostbusters are cast.

This is all happening so damn fast. For me the biggest jaw drop was the teaser being released the day after the Jason Reitman announcement.

The teaser for a movie coming the day after it's announced is unheard of.

So far the news has been slow to come out and I'm enjoying every moment of it. Hard to think not even a full 3 months ago we were all in the dark and then BAM!

Exciting times for any real Ghostbusters fan!
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By timeware
I'm not responding to Slimered because at this point it's redundant. I know this is cliché but i'm not interested in debating someone who's taking my words out of context. God, I sound like a commentator on CNN. Broken Record dude. I already gave my opinion on the matter. Kingpin already gave you warning about this.

In response to Sav earlier I haven't seen the new Wonder Woman yet but I did see the first one and rather enjoyed it. Captain Marvels been numerous characters over the years though.

In regards to the Ecto I really hope they restore her to her former glory, or show the kids working on the vehicle at some point in the film.
deadderek, Coover5, RichRyan1507 and 1 others liked this
By Kingpin
I'm going to kindly ask anyone without a shiny "MODERATOR" badge beside your name to perhapse not play mod, okay?

Slimered. We all completely understand that you're passionate about the fight, and as someone who considers himself a feminist, I very much understand your point of view.

But you really have to ease back on that throttle. Jason doesn't have to do anything with regards to Answer The Call, and he shouldn't be forced to compromise his vision to create a Ghostbusters multiverse. The next movie should be his product, and he should be left to make it in peace.

For the sake of your fellow fans, this topic, and community harmony in general, please give it a rest about connecting the two universes, you've made your point, no need to continue to restate it.

If the thread disruptions continue, I will have to look into account suspensions.
Sav C, timeware, deadderek and 5 others liked this
By Davideverona
I don't know why, but I always liked a GB2 Peter's close up in front of the museum where we see some green lights on the Ecto 1A roof.

Hope to see those green lights back. To me the 1A was too full of things, the game did a good job mixing the two versions (minus the logo on the hood).

Someone here said a couple of days ago to stay on alert cause April Fools day is coming and we'll likely have some fake news coming . I giggled because until a year ago, the A.F.D. Joke was that a GB3 WAS BEING MADE.
Coover5, Sav C, RichRyan1507 and 1 others liked this
By timeware
If the kid's are restoring the old Ecto would anyone be opposed to them turning the hearse into an ecto-3? Same white care except for new mods and weapons?
By Coover5
I wouldn't mind that but to be honest I never had much care for the detail on top of the Ecto. I think it looks cool and it's a great idea but for the most part I couldn't really say what's up there. So it would be hard for me to notice a real change.
By mrmichaelt
Davideverona wrote:I don't know why, but I always liked a GB2 Peter's close up in front of the museum where we see some green lights on the Ecto 1A roof.

Hope to see those green lights back. To me the 1A was too full of things, the game did a good job mixing the two versions (minus the logo on the hood).
I'd love to see multiple Ecto vehicles instead of just the car but would that be too indulgent? Ecto-this. Ecto-that.
Davideverona wrote:Someone here said a couple of days ago to stay on alert cause April Fools day is coming and we'll likely have some fake news coming . I giggled because until a year ago, the A.F.D. Joke was that a GB3 WAS BEING MADE.
I think it's a given we'll see an AFD article about Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, Potts, Moranis, and Weaver signing on.
By RichRyan1507
timeware wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 12:56 am If the kid's are restoring the old Ecto would anyone be opposed to them turning the hearse into an ecto-3? Same white care except for new mods and weapons?

I really don't think that you'll see the kids working on any Ectos.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 12:56 am If the kid's are restoring the old Ecto would anyone be opposed to them turning the hearse into an ecto-3? Same white care except for new mods and weapons?
I think we should definitely be prepared for the possibility that what gear is there may get streamlined through the advance of technology. As such, the newly-purchased Futura may also get cleaned up either by the end of this movie, or the start of the next, and could feature the slimmed LED lightbars and beacons.
Davideverona wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 3:47 am Speaking of AJ, it's some time since I heard or see him on this forum...
In addition to the GBFans store he's also got a separate business of his own that often takes him away from posting on the forums.
By Dr.D
Aesthetically, I never thought Ghostbusters works as well if the equipment looks sleek and modern. There needs to be a balance between looking homemade. A restored Ecto with slim LED lights just wouldn't look...right. While I 100% believe the equipment will be updated, I hope they don't go ultra modern.

If it were me designing the equipment, I'd take an RGB approach. Why? Because the silhouette of the equipment is practically the same and the minimalist design of the RGB packs and traps could be seen as something of an improvement of the old gear. Something that maintains the overall look and feel of what we know, but different enough.
savintheday, Sav C, RichRyan1507 and 1 others liked this
By BatDan
im faithful the equipment will stay true, (if not the same ) as the original. if anything, i see them going a GB2 route and introducing new equipment instead of 'replacing' the old.

In terms, of 'style', if they go the way of "apple proton pack" it will go against Harold, Ivan, and Dan's original vision to keep the gadgetry in the realm of 'home-made tech' which they felt added to the comedy.
By Michael Scott
No need to replace the original packs. The power cells have a half life of 5000 years. Some mods and tinkering would be interesting though. I know Dan recently has talked about how the tech has advanced. I’d like to see anything integrated into the original packs like the game packs, or as supplemental packs/equipment like the slime blowers, which served their purpose but didn’t replace the proton pack. I could see them overhauling the traps and the way they work.
By Sav C
The packs probably won't be "applelized", unless it is being manufactured for other Ghostbusters franchises. Assuming they aren't being mass produced, odds are they will be no more polished than the reboot's packs. That's not to say they will be like the reboot packs--in fact, I suspect that they will very much be in the spirit of the originals, although likely with updates. Unless they've set out to make a profit out of selling proton packs, the packs will not lose their practical look in favor of a sleek consumer look.
The packs are certainly different (I believe the reboot pack has 3D printed parts (which perhaps an updated set of packs would also include)), but the one thing that is definitely consistent between the two is that they both have a practical look. In fact, I'd be willing to argue that the original packs were designed to look more polished than the reboot packs. The original packs are actually painted, and have a less busy look. Not to mention, while the original pack is heavier and bigger than the reboot pack, its individual features are more compact for the most part. I like both, tbh.

Guys, whatever we get is gonna be great!

Edit (12:01 PM): I've probably said this before since I'm a broken record, but one of my ideas for GBIII was that the Ghostbusters were out of business because the ghost trap was consumerized and sold en masse to the general public. Of course, then a major Gozer/Vigo like threat started brewing, and that caused the Ghostbusters to reunite in order to save the world again.
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:27 pm
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I really hope they are working on Bill Murray so they can announce all 3 of them at the same time.
I think this will be the case. Its also possible that Ernie and Dan's involvement in the story may depend on Bill. Their parts may shrink.or expand depending on his involvement. Frankly, I'd rather a movie with no Bill than a movie with him where he turns in a half assed performance.
A half-assed Bill Murray performance is still better than no Bill Murray. Personally I can't imagine a film where Ray and Winston appear but not Peter Venkman.
By philmorgan81
Davideverona wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:20 pm I have a strong feeling that Bill will be in it.

Oh yeah my feelings exactly. I mean taking in the consideration the kind of scripts that Jason has worked on I believe he may have come up with a script that Bill would like. He always said that he would have been happy to do another one if the script was REALLY good. I am not sure what his version of really good is, but Jason has been an ace making a name for himself. I think Bill would love a chance to work with him as a director given his relationship with the Reitman family. I am also getting the feeling that this film could exceed expectations. I am only saying this because the 2009 video game did that to me. I was blown away about how well a video game could feel like a sequel. It just hit all the right spots. I am just getting the same kind of feeling with this movie. I can’t wait for the excitement to double when more news is revealed in the coming months. :):):)
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:20 pm I have a strong feeling that Bill will be in it.
Would you call it a strong...psychic belief...
RichRyan1507, Sav C, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By timeware
Brace yourselves for anything guys. It could be the best damned film ever made or it could go completely south. I have complete faith in Reitman. We may not get everything off our wish list's but let's hope meaningful research was done for the script.
deadderek liked this
By SpaceBallz
If Bill Murray has anything more than a 10-second cameo I will eat my own shorts and post the video in this very thread.
By Coover5
Sav C wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 12:44 pm In fact, I'd be willing to argue that the original packs were designed to look more polished than the reboot packs. The original packs are actually painted, and have a less busy look. Not to mention, while the original pack is heavier and bigger than the reboot pack, its individual features are more compact for the most part. I like both, tbh.
Something I've never really agreed with on this board was describing the packs as having a "thrown together" look. They look great in the film and how fantastic does the OMNI pack look? Most of us spent a ton of cash and far more time on the packs than the prop builders did and I really haven't seen one as nice looking as the OMNI pack. I think a lot of people are confusing the "industrial" aesthetic with something that was tossed together last minute. I could understand the belt gizmo being called "thrown together" but the packs, flight suits, traps and containment unit all have a uniform design and all have a finished quality to them.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Yeah, for the packs to look thrown together, their parts would have to look like a mishmash of random items, i.e., the colander with wires that Louis was wearing. As you say, the packs, etc., look uniform and finished--not like a bunch of semi-unrelated items tossed together. I don't know much about pack building, but I do know that some fans like to artificially weather their packs (I have a feeling they were weathered in GBII, but don't quote me on that), which makes the packs look worn in, but still not thrown together.

Guys, have you seen Die Hard with a Vengeance? You know the seen where John and Zeus commandeer the taxi cab and drive it through Central Park? Wouldn't it be awesome if, in order to save the day in the upcoming movie, the Ghostbusters have to speed through Central Park in the Ecto? It would be so cool.

@deadderek Nice new profile pic!
By Kingpin
Slimered wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:18 pmA half-assed Bill Murray performance is still better than no Bill Murray. Personally I can't imagine a film where Ray and Winston appear but not Peter Venkman.
I honestly don't think it is. Take a look at Ghostbusters: The Video Game, while some of Murray's delivery was fine, other lines felt like the bare minimum, and that's not taking into account how he disappeared and never returned part-way through the recording process, leaving Harold, Dan, and Ernie to pick up the slack.

If Bill has any intention of phoning it in with the new film just to get it over with, then I'd rather Venkman be written out entirely.
By Coover5
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't want to bring it up. With all the excitement I decided to play the video game again and I wondered if they didn't have Dave Coulier doing his Bill Murray impression for some of the lines. I kept wondering "Is that really Bill Murray?" but with so many wanting Bill Murray anyway they can get him I just figured i'd shut up about it.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Davideverona
deadderek wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:49 pm
Would you call it a strong...psychic belief...
Not really. It's more the fact that lately all the things I guess are happening, don't happen and viceversa.

I always assumed that Bill wouldn't be in GB3, so I guess he'll be in it.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]