Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By ProtonCharger
Erik Burnham wrote: Well, as of the moment Sony approved it, it became right... it's now just one more official design of the proton pack. You may not like it, which is fine, but they did make that call. And rest assured, they have made us change things they didn't approve.

i wish you were here when the other side came out to say that. i really do. oh, boy do i wish for this one.

i wish you were here when tainted love came out to say that. i really do.

i wish you were here when displaced aggression came out to say that. i really do.

i wish you were here when convolution came out to say that. i really do.

because i THOROUGHLY enjoyed them. AND the artistic interpretation of the character designs and equipment models. however, i was only one of a few. i feel sorry for those absolutely talented artists and the tear down of their artistic interpretation that they received from this community.

i was collecting every complaint dealing with just the art on those books i stopped half way, because i didnt want to keep you. i just think its absolutely wrong that they acted that way on those other books, when those artists ALSO received the green light from sony to go that direction.

and... not a peep from these people for this proton pack. other than myself.

i know im not the only person that doesnt like dapper dan's artistic interpretation and not reading the series because of it. while i may be the only one that's willing to be vocal enough about it. HOWEVER, i was very into the mini series comics and loved every bit of them, finding no flaw with them. i am absolutely very serious about how the stink raised about venkman's tucked pantlegs.

i encourage you, Mr.Burnham, to read those old threads pertaining to those issues and read the complaints about the artistic license and interpretation of those very talented artists and take into consideration that that proton pack is not accurate. it's not acceptable for those great artists to get the shaft for their work from the members of this community based on their artistic interpretation approved by sony, and not dapper dan.
By Fritz
I don't totally agree with PC in his comments, but I definitely see where he's coming from. The pack didn't bother me, but that isn't the point--I mean, this is the board that...

1. Ripped Tom Ngyuen to shreds for drawing Venkman's pant legs tucked in.

2. Blew blood vessels at the skin tones on the GB2 figures.

3. Nearly had strokes at the "upside down" proton guns in Sanctum of Slime.

4. Had someone point out the measurement on the Mattel PKE meter were .065 inches off.

I don't blame PC for being a little confused, based on this history, at all the "Eh, it's just stylized" at Dapper Dan's simplified proton pack instead of screaming 'TEHY HAS RUUUNED IT 4EVA!!!" or something.

I guess I'll be optimistic and hope it's a sign of maturity.
By Erik Burnham
ProtonCharger wrote: because i THOROUGHLY enjoyed them. AND the artistic interpretation of the character designs and equipment models. however, i was only one of a few. i feel sorry for those absolutely talented artists and the tear down of their artistic interpretation that they received from this community.
I'm glad you enjoyed them, and the same point could be made for those, sure. But believe me, nothing gets done on these books without the approval of Sony and IDW, from the creators to what we can do.

The current team all love the property - there's a ton of enthusiasm going as we put together the first arc. We're all working above and beyond to make this a great book and a successful ongoing... and through a successful ongoing, to branch the property out into more miniseries or specials as well, with who knows what other creators. That's the goal.

So hey even if you don't buy right off, wish us luck -- because our success can only bring about more Ghostbusters comics, and that may even bring some artists you're more excited for.

Win-win. (:

And now, I have to get back to the firehouse.

Thanks!

-E
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:The current team all love the property - there's a ton of enthusiasm going as we put together the first arc. We're all working above and beyond to make this a great book and a successful ongoing... and through a successful ongoing, to branch the property out into more miniseries or specials as well, with who knows what other creators. That's the goal.
Cool, I'm hoping good sales leads to Annual specials, which have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs. Maybe, even something off the beaten path like how DC did with alternate realities in Elseworlds annuals back in the 90s. A "Peoplebusters" story even would be boss.
By ProtonCharger
Erik Burnham wrote: So hey even if you don't buy right off, wish us luck -- because our success can only bring about more Ghostbusters comics, and that may even bring some artists you're more excited for.
im in some discussion with other members of the community and fans of the books before dapper dan came on, who are also, not reading the series because of him. they are also wondering:

if you want support across the board for the book, why did you go with dapper dan, vs the other artists in the idw stable? comparatively with a "cartoon style", darwyn cooke is a phenomenal artist and he did "the man with the get away face". anyone on gijoe could knock ghostbusters out of the park with the realism that they draw, specifically antonio fusio.

specifically antonio fuso.

or tristan jones.

literally, you ask everyone for support, of any form, but why? why do you want people not happy with the book to purchase it? why ask them to say "YEAH! GREAT JOB!" for an artist they dont care for at all? dont you think that if you want to get all the support you can get you would get the absolute best team you possibly can on a book like this, that appeals to everyone across the board, not just people here that belly ache over pant legs, a group that does not represent the entire collective of avid comic book readers and ghostbuster fans?

you know, the pantleg thing was such a fiasco, there actually was a joke in it in one of the minis? why doesnt anyone remember this?i think it's entirely convenient it's completely forgotten.

i can promise you mr.burnham, there are a bunch of us that feel alienated because dapper dan is on this book, who like i keep saying and you're reading, absolutely loved every thing on every page that the miniseries' had. however, what i dont think you understand is;we HURT that we're not reading a series we very much want to because we WANTED a monthly series. we WANT IT to be a success, but we dont want it to go the direction it's going. we dont want to support the book, because that would mean we're supporting dapper dan's art.

just that dan is on the book, is what put the bellyaching to a halt. i dont believe for a minute the lack of critiques from this community for the art is a sign of maturity(considering there are mattel toys being picked apart as i type). i propose you have dan draw venkman with his pantlegs tucked in, since the proton pack, approved by sony, is something they with out a doubt in my mind complained about until they were blue in the face if some other artist did it the exact way dan drew it. this is flat out wrong. spitting fire at other artists, but nothing when this one makes the same sort of mistakes, regardless of approval.

i wont be wishing the series any luck while dan is on it no matter how much you ask. i dont wish it to fail either( because i hope it skates along just enough for better artists to come on). i AM sorry the rest of the creative team loses out on our support. i've talked with tristan. i sincerely hope he understands where im coming from.

hopefully sales will make some changes(wise decisions), and sooner rather than later.
By Vincenzo330
I just want to thank all the members of the IDW creative team who take the time to post here and interact with the fans. I know that when you read rants like ProtonCharger's it might make you feel unappreciated but just know that he is of the VERY vocal MINORITY.

Everything you're working on looks fantastic to the vast majority of us.
Keep up the good work, gentlemen.

Would I like to see a Proton Pack design closer to the films? Sure. Do I care that much? No, not at all. At this point I don't think he even knows what he's complaining about.

This thread is a little embarrassing, it has turned into another fan-boy tirade. I thought (for the most part) that we were better than that around these parts.
By Erik Burnham
Well, all I asked was for you to wish us luck for the health of the franchise; not to force you to change your mind. But hey. I'm not going to argue with you, though. I've got too much on my plate for that, and I'd rather just enjoy my job, which is the writing of the comic and the talking up of same. (:

So take care.

Edited to add: Tristan, Dan, and Luis are all consummate professionals - they are easy to work with, come up with great ideas, and get the work done on time. This monthly book will be monthly! (Tom giving us that Marine stare may help.)

Time to write me some Walter Peck...
By CaptCyan
I have a question for Eric. Any plans to send out Posters of some type to the Comic Shops to herald the start of the Weekly Comic? My pestering the local shop to bring in the book is one thing, but a bit of promotion to let the casual comic buyer to know it's coming could help things along. Not everyone reads Previews.
By Erik Burnham
CaptCyan wrote:I have a question for Eric. Any plans to send out Posters of some type to the Comic Shops to herald the start of the Weekly Comic? My pestering the local shop to bring in the book is one thing, but a bit of promotion to let the casual comic buyer to know it's coming could help things along. Not everyone reads Previews.
This isn't really a me question -- I don't have much say in giving the go-ahead to promotional materials. I have passed the question along to editor Tom Waltz; we'll see if we can't suss an answer!
By mrmichaelt
Any plans for any of the staff to go to San Diego Comic Con next month to promote the series?
CaptCyan wrote:I have a question for Eric. Any plans to send out Posters of some type to the Comic Shops to herald the start of the Weekly Comic? My pestering the local shop to bring in the book is one thing, but a bit of promotion to let the casual comic buyer to know it's coming could help things along. Not everyone reads Previews.
That's a great idea. Archie just did that with the Mega Man series that debuted last month. I think it was a double-sided poster signed by the artist, of the first couple issues, Spaz.
By Erik Burnham
mrmichaelt wrote:Any plans for any of the staff to go to San Diego Comic Con next month to promote the series?
Luis is a lock, as is Tom (of course.)

Tristan and Dan can't make the trip this year.

I'm still looking into the possibility; should know in a week (talk about cutting things close!)
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:Any plans for any of the staff to go to San Diego Comic Con next month to promote the series?
Luis is a lock, as is Tom (of course.)

Tristan and Dan can't make the trip this year.

I'm still looking into the possibility; should know in a week (talk about cutting things close!)
Just a smidge cutting it close. I thought most of the hotels would be booked by now.

But I suppose those who can't come can trash talk on Twitter or join in with lagged Skype responses during the panel.
By njukgb
Each issue will also contain a two page mini-episode of Tales of Teenage Mutant Turtles.
?:eyeroll:
By njukgb
TristanJones wrote:Yeah, that news story kinda failed on it's research. I used to write Tales of the TMNT
HA!
Love it. Kind of worried for a moment - I had flashbacks to the Marvel (UK) release with the Slimer! one sheets in the back.

Already got my orders in with my local store.
By Capt. Reynolds
I suppose that this is an insanely stupid question, but since IDW is doing TMNT comics, any chance of a cross over? Both are based in NYC, popular 80's team...

All I can think is that my 6 year old self would have his mind blown if that would happen..,
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham was kind enough to give a status update on the series
How many issue' s scripts of the ongoing Ghostbusters comic are being worked on currently?

At this exact, specific moment -- two. #3 is waiting on revision notes and #4 is being generated. (Issue #1 is in the can, #2 is approved and being drawn.)
Link: Burnham's response on Formspring

So there's one more place to ask Mr. Burnham stuff and #1 and 2's scripts are done.

EDIT: Also Mr. Burnham tweeted
Ghostbusters #3? Walter Peck, folks.
erikburnham Tweet
By AJ Quick
Robert Scott Thompson wrote:Anyone know of a good site to order these from when they do start comming out?, the little town i live in doesnt have a comic store, the closer to Ontario the better.
http://www.gbfans.com/shop/comics/
By Kingpin
I don't know how they managed to score it, as I've not seen it either on Nick Runge's, Chris Ryall's blogs, The Real Tampa Bay Ghostbusters' facebook page... or the IDW forum, but Bleeding Cool has posted a copy of Nick Runge's varient to Ghostbusters #3, a homage to Queen:

By mrmichaelt
gbcreel wrote:For more info on this photo shoot please visit the following:

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/realtampbayghostbusters

http://realtampabayghostbusters.com/

CNN IReport:
http://ireport.cnn.com/people/gbcreel?n ... =documents
Thanks for the links, gbcreel. If IDW doesn't change their minds, that's one more reason for a Ghostbusters fan to head to SDCC. Wonder what it'll be...an ashcan would be a neat addition to the collection.

EDIT: According to IDW Publishing's blog, on Saturday July 23rd, from 2:00 – 3:00 pm their booth #2643 will have Nick Runge for Ghostbusters signings and you'll get a free limited signing card. Tom Waltz will also be around on Saturday. "IDW Publishing Announces San Diego Comic-Con Signing Schedule"
By TristanJones
GBCreel!

Great links! You'll have to see if whoever is doing the CNN articles can do more than just the Tampa Bay GB's photoshoots. If we could get actual full articles about the comic in general up there it would be awesome! The more people we can get interested in buying the comic -- the more covers there'll be for you guys to appear on ;)

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]