Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By GBDRE760
Hey guys, today I was at WalMart for a few things we needed for the house and I went from the grocery area to the toy area and was able to find ONE Ghostbusters Monopoly game. I have actually been wanting to get my hands on the previous one that came out but I never did. So I grabbed this one. I haven't opened up everything yet, but I did snap some shots to share with those who are thinking of getting it. I hope you enjoy :)

P.S. - The Ghost Trap is the card holder and it also plays the GB theme. I would have LOVED it had the doors been able to close as more of a storage device for the cards when the game isn't being played, but I still think it is great.

ccv66 liked this
By GBDRE760
ccv66 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:13 pm I like that, but you think they could have came up with better pieces than glasses and violin.
LOL RIGHT?
They could have done a slime tank.
A Slimer.
Stay Puft.

etc.

The violin and glasses kinda seem a bit generic as if they could have been something from the original plane ol Monopoly game.
ccv66 liked this
By Kingpin
It's also about time they ditched the retro In Jail/Go To Jail/Parking icons. Imagine if the cop was made to generically look like an NYPD officer, the Jail icon be a generic Ghostbuster behind bars, etc.
By Wiggyof9
GBDRE760 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:21 pm
ccv66 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:13 pm I like that, but you think they could have came up with better pieces than glasses and violin.
LOL RIGHT?
They could have done a slime tank.
A Slimer.
Stay Puft.

etc.

The violin and glasses kinda seem a bit generic as if they could have been something from the original plane ol Monopoly game.
I disagree. For one, Stay Puft and Slimer are used on the board, so it wouldn't make much sense. Slime blower is from GB2 and this is GB1. The traps and containment unit are used as the houses and hitels, which is quite clever, so they can't be used as tokens. The pieces represent the characters in the movie as they move through the plot together.

PKE - Egon
Goggles - Ray
Walkie - Peter (from the iconic scene during which he yells into it before being slimed)
Proton Pack - Winston (We got the tools, we got the talent)
Glasses - Luis (I think, they look some what like his, could be Janine's, but Luis makes more sense)
Cello - Dana (not violin, though they basically look the same, but note there is no chin rest)

I thought the references were pretty neat.

As for the parking and jail squares, they are always going to be the old versions. They are iconic and what make Monopoly what it is. If this were an unlicensed "Ghostbustersopoly" then they would have been different.

I don't play Monopoly, but I do appreciate the thought that was put into the game. They tried to keep the names of the properties in sequence of the plot while still trying to have the groupings make sense. Only issue I have is that all the rail roads are just "Ecto-1". I know there aren't many vehicles in the movie, but they could have done Rundown Ambulance, Zombie Taxi, Police car, and Ecto-1.
By ccv66
You wrote quite a bit and I disagree with all of it ( lightheartedly) there's so many different things they could have chosen that's a Ghostbusters other than glasses or Cello. They have no weight in the movie. It's lazy uncreative and cheap. So many better choices. The jail, parking and go to jail breaks the continuity of the board. I'm not buying it for the Monopoly, got plenty of ways to play Monopoly, buying it for the Ghostbusters
By Wiggyof9
ccv66 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 10:02 pm You wrote quite a bit and I disagree with all of it ( lightheartedly) there's so many different things they could have chosen that's a Ghostbusters other than glasses or Cello. They have no weight in the movie. It's lazy uncreative and cheap. So many better choices. The jail, parking and go to jail breaks the continuity of the board. I'm not buying it for the Monopoly, got plenty of ways to play Monopoly, buying it for the Ghostbusters
What else would you choose to represent Luis and Dana though? Maybe the head scanner for Luis? That represents Vinz more than Luis. Ecto-1? Maybe, but that is already used for the rail roads.

I kind of like that the pieces represent the main characters, but I get why you would find glasses and a cello boring as well.

As for the jail and parking squares, that is just what Hasbro does with every monopoly game. It comes with the territory and is in every branded Monopoly game. It just is what it is.
By ccv66
I'd would want pieces Ghostbusters related, but if I had to choose Louis and Dana pieces, definitely the head scanner and maybe the chair with arms popping out. Jannine's fire alarm button not a bad choice.

I get the go to Jail , parking ect. No matter what the theme you know it's monopoly. Make sense from the Brand's perspective, just looks ugly
By Wiggyof9
I like the idea of the bell as pieces. Head scanner and chair aren't really Luis and Dana so much as they are Vinz and Zuul. Pretty much the only thing about Dana that isn't Zuul related that could be represented in a piece is the cello. Maybe Luis could be represented by a wheel of brie....

I'd almost rather they rep Janine and Walter Peck with the alarm bell and a suit case or files that say EPA or something. Again, I get what they were going for, maybe not the choices I would have made for who to represent with the pieces, but at least it shows some thought. What I don't get is why are there only 6 pieces? The game supports 2-8 players and traditional games have 10 tokens so.... they could have kept the cello and glasses, added the bell and EPA files, and still had 2 tokens to throw in there like the head scanner and maybe a no ghost logo.
ccv66 liked this
I have the original version which I JUST got for Christmas, haven't even opened it. Might need to get the new one but the pieces have Harolds glasses or maybe they're Annie's?...no Afterlife items? I had thought they might keep the Ecto, maybe put a shot from the trailer on the board...or maybe we'll get another version next year.
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on May 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kingpin
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: April 25th, 2020, 6:08 amMight need to get the new one but the pieces save Harolds glasses are a it weak...no Afterlife items? I had thought they might keep the Ecto, maybe put a shot from the triler on the board...or maybe we'll get another version next year.
Why would they have anything from Afterlife? It's clear like the older release that this is based strictly on the first movie.

I might have to keep an eye out for anyone selling the game pieces separately, I wouldn't mind added a few of those to my copy for alternate options.
Because they've already released images of the ghost, the Ecto from the trailer for the toy line so having a picture of the ghost on the board or the ecto-1 from the trailer might have been nice...or anything from GB2 otherwise apart from the press here and trap holder...why bother redoing it if your awaiting a new chapter that your going to have to update it anyway. Someone buys this version and then next year a new one comes out with Afterlife stuff on it...will people drop money on it again?,,,fans will but general shoppers won't. I do think there's some options for a custom version with the new pieces and the older version.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am Because they've already released images of the ghost, the Ecto from the trailer for the toy line so having a picture of the ghost on the board or the ecto-1 from the trailer might have been nice...or anything from GB2 otherwise apart from the press here and trap holder...why bother redoing it if your awaiting a new chapter that your going to have to update it anyway. Someone buys this version and then next year a new one comes out with Afterlife stuff on it...will people drop money on it again?,,,fans will but general shoppers won't. I do think there's some options for a custom version with the new pieces and the older version.
There is nothing from the other movies because this version is suppose to be following the story of the first movie only. If you look at all of the spaces they go in order of the plot. It would not make sense to have anything from the other movies.

It looks like Hasbro had planned to ride the wave of the new movie by releasing stuff from the original movie. Mattel did the same thing in 2016 when they released the Matty Collector Ghostbusters with new packaging and removable packs at retail. Now Hasbro is doing it with the Fright Features line and Plasma series line. These things are meant purely to get parents to buy these for their kids based on what they remember.

It's weird how pop culture has been working since the 70's/80's. More or less the same brands have been recycled over and over again so now each generation of kids is watching and playing with the same characters that their parents did. There is some new stuff thrown in there, but there are also a lot of old franchises that just don't go away like TMNT, Transformers, Power Rangers, My Little Pony, Star Wars, X-men, Spider-man, etc.... And most of it is licensed by Hasbro.

What Ghostbusters really needs is a new cartoon for kids using the original 4 characters re-imagined in some way, kind of like the comic. Sure, it was nice when RGB connected to the movie and then EGB connected to RGB, but a franchise like Ghostbusters can not last that way. It barely works for Star Wars. SONY tried with GB2016, but they went too far with their re-imagining by changing all of the equipment too much and ditching all of the characters which I guess they had to do for a movie. You can't just recast the original characters for a movie the way you can a cartoon. Most other popular franchises get re-imaginings that introduce the same characters to a new generation of kids every few years. That is how you keep a franchise evergreen. Hence why Hasbro used the original 4 in the line meant for kids. It would be cool to see a new cartoon using that style as well.

Sorry, got a little off topic there.
The first version was JUST about the first movie too. Why bother tooling new pieces for the same thing when you could tool pieces for a new version entirely that has things from all of them? Another "Corporate logic" that tells fans what they want when in reality the suits have no clue what to do with their own items...2016 anyone ?...Anyway if ya want the new one get it. Just not that important to me. Off to the next topic for me.
By Kingpin
We have to remember that the original Monopoly: Ghostbusters Edition was produced in 2016 by Usaopoly, who I presume have no link to Walmart in anyway.

Because it was produced by another company, naturally they wouldn't have access to any of the components from the 2016 edition. Now, much like one of the big reasons why Ecto-1 is the car being driven around in Afterlife rather than Ecto-1A, the first movie is the most iconic, and is provides plenty of material to theme a Monopoly set around. Afterlife and Ghostbusters II might be able to supply plenty of material if someone were to do one covering the whole live-action franchise, but I suspect Walmart went for the first movie because of it being the iconic original.
By Dan AKA
We have to remember that marketing for Ghostbusters will always aim to play it safe. Ghostbusters II has long been deemed a commercial failure, as such it will always be rare (and quite the treat) when we do get merch based on Ghostbusters II. As Ghostbusters: Afterlife has not come out yet, and the schedule of this monopoly release was before the intial release date it would only make sense that we get classic Ghostbusters merchandise.

I personally with they had used the Sniffer 300 and Aura Video Analyzer as peices instead of the glasses and cello.

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]