By Chace
Since you're not the original poster, Im not sure why you continue to bicker here since you don't seem to have a dog in this fight (to quote Michael Vick)

But anyway I gotta question....

Are you guaging "Big" parades by press coverage or attendendance? Becuase the most attended American parade IS in NY but its the West Indian Carnaval in Brooklyn which has at least 2 million attendees. In second place is the annual BUD BILLIKEN DAY PARADE held the second Saturday of August in Chicago, IL with well over 150,000 marching units, bands, majorettes and floats in the parade. Of course the largest in the world is the Sao Paulo Gay Parade in Brazil.....I have seen none of these on TV.

As far as coverage by major media at the moment you are correct, but trending towards wrong. The big 3 networks...o.k. lets include Fox...Of the big 4, only 2 cover the parade live, ABC and NBC. Both have been cutting the coverage shorter annually due to poor ratings....meanwhile outside cable networks like G4, SpikeTV and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, along with internet outlets like io9, kotaku, popmatters, etc. have given greater focus each year to the major cons. ComicCon, DragonCon, etc.

Hell, Macy's may go bankrupt in the next couple of years.

But you're right. The 501st was invited by Lucas to the rose parade, and they were shown the proper respect. Bob Eubanks called them "Groupies" on national television and said they need to get jobs. No really, check 2:18-2:21...

But regardless of all of that, I'm not in it for the ink. I could give a shit if the national media covers it or not. To me its all about the experience. And I was at DragonCon when we had a parade with 67 Busters and 7 Ectos, outnumbering the 501st by the way.....f*** the coverage, I lived that....and hopefully next year will be bigger.
By zareckighostbuster
yes i know. I was there. screw Bab Eubanks, who if im not mistaken, submitted a written apology.

im assuming you mean you out numbered the 501st at DCon, not rose parade.

just think it would be cool for the GB's to be in the macy's parade.
By Chace
Yes I mean we "bested" them at DCon, which was the first time any costume group has since the con parade started, but no, it would not be "cool" to be at the Macy's parade, not AS cool at least.

See at DCon there's a whole other thing...in addition to the single parade event there's 4 days, 24 hours a day, of convention/gb fan goodness. Comic Con is HUGE!!!! Other parades are too. BUT they're not 24 hours. And we're working to fill all that time with either GB events or at the very least debauchery.

As far as Eubanks, he DID submit a written apology....after the network demanded it...and the general public who watched the parade never saw or heard it, but it made the job needing geeks feel better.

Also..I'm TK 5893 (The atomic weight of cobalt...which is a GB reference...589 was taken) But I like all of the Ocmulgee Squad and most of the Georgia Garrison recognize that most of the 501st are elitest douches.

But back to the original poster...aside from the coverage, everything he was wanting has been done, and will continue to be annually, you are all welcome to join us. DC 2011 will be September 2-5. All 5 host hotels are already booked but there are places nearby. For the best ticket price, book now. http://dragoncon.org/
By zareckighostbuster
DCon is always out of my price range. but thank you for the invite. I have SDCC nearby (which after the last two years ridiculousness, I probably won't go back) and PCC which is far cheaper and offers pretty much the same thing with out 200,000 people. and the overpriced everything.

Yeah I know the DCon parade has its thing and its been gettign bigger and bigger every year. just cant seem to find a reason to go that makes spending all that money worth it. But you're closer than me, so I'm sure you feel the same about SDCC, Wondercon, PAX and PCC.

I dont go to the cons for debauchery, as I don't drink. i got to have fun! which is why we all do this to begin with.

As for the GA Garrison feeling that way, that is too bad. I've heard of that with some local units getting that way, I havnt bumped into it, and I've been in 3 garrisons over the years since the 501st started.

either way, you could say the same about ANY costuming organization.

we need to get past all the elists BS that some folks have which pushes others away and get back to having fun and costuming.

this isnt a real job after all.
By Chace
I know the flight is an extra expense, but I've been to a couple of SDCC and one PCC and DC is WAAAAAAAAY more fun and a lot less time standing in lines.
By zareckighostbuster
its the planes AND hotels that are a pain. a bunch of legion folks drove this past year, which is crazy, but hey!

pcc has changed drastically last year and even more this year. were finally in the Phx con center. with the exception of stan lee, there really weren't lines last year. which rocks. sdcc is famous for its damn lines. i for one, never stood in one. thank god.

you should try PCC this year in May if you can make it out. good times, plus we have over 15 bands playing. most of which are touring the country and stop by on the way thru.
By ProtonCharger
zareckighostbuster wrote:bye Proton charger. you're useless.
i know you are but what am i?

outnumbering 501st on their turf is monumentally more cool to me than a parade of floats covered in flowers.
By exo95er
I was watching the Macy's parade this morning... if GB fans were in it... what kind of "performance" would be done in front of the grandstand? All the groups that were aired looked like they spent a lot of time practicing. Even the balloon handlers had their act together. There'd have to be some rehearsals before hand, otherwise it'd look like crap on nationwide live television.
By cowbybill
My 4 and 5 year old niece and nephew watch it.
Anyways, sorry that this created such a shitstorm. it was not intended to be anything but a thought, not a hey let's do this or I'm going to try and get the ball rolling so one year we can do it.
Now I know I'm probably gonna get flamed and all that but lately it seems there have been alot posts that have been posted that have seemed antagonistic towards other GBfans, and to create pissing contests between members just for the sake of having someone to fight with.
While disagreeing with someone is fine and by all means I always like to hear someone else's opinon on subjects, there just feels like some folks are feeling the need to be confrontational all the time. My question is what purpose does that serve other than to create ill will amongst a community of people who share a common interest?
I'm gonna go put on my asbestos underwear for the flaming posts that I'm sure I'm about to recieve.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]