By GhostbustersNJ
The NJGB have had a fantastic Halloween season with 27 total events.

Something we are starting to notice more and more though is that certain events are feeling a lot less like fun, and a lot more like work. It seems we are becoming a victim of our own success.

A few examples:
-At recent large events, we tend to end up posing for photos for 4-6 hours without a break.
If we take a lunch break, try to do an interview with local news, or just talk with someone, people will interrupt us non stop. There just seems to be a sense of entitlement that leads to manors going out the window. Trying to enjoy the events we attend is nearly impossible due to all the photo requests.

-Crazy photographers, they're everywhere. We were actually told by the NYPD on halloween night to stop being so awesome, as we were causing foot traffic issues. There were people running out into moving traffic for photos, even out infront of the ecto as we were driving down the street.

-Crazy adults: everyone knows storm troopers, spider man, and trekkies are from a movie, but for some reason at least 40% of the people we meet think we are real ghostbusters and they must tell us about the ghost in their attic. Many of them become upset or even angry when we tell them that ghostbusters is only a movie.

-Unapprecciatve event organizers: Some are great, we show up, have some fun, take a few pictures, and then they treat us to the event, maybe a free lunch etc. However more and more we have been running into event organizers who treat us as employees, working a queue line for 6 hours with no break, food, or pay.

Maybe we are just burnt out from the holiday season, but it just seems that busting is becoming 80% hard work and 20% fun.

I will note though that driving in the ecto is still 100% enjoyable though as we tend to keep the doors locked and windows halfway up so we have a barrier.

Is anyone else going through this? Have any advice?
By Gareee
We also were getting a little burned out, and Trick r Treat almost did us in. Tea,hair almost fell over on her pack because she couldn't get up properly. (We had been kneelinbg downb for kids for a few hours at the safe downtown trick r treat event they had for several hours.)

We always seemed to have a huge line either for candy, or (in a lot of cases) pics.

Best advice, is just do what you want to do.. not everything. Too much of anything is bad, and sucks the fun out of it.

Next year, we'll still do a few corn maze appearances, and trick r treat, but we'll probably skip halloween cub contests afterwards.. maybe we'll just do a smaller surprise appearance somewhere fun.

We over extended ourselves a small amount this year, but enough so that were just totally outta juice on Halloween night itself.
By ProtonCharger
im sorry that you did alot of events and were annoyed by people because you were in a ghostbusters costume. if that bothers you, maybe you shouldnt do it.

no one likes a whiner.
By GhostbustersNJ
Gareee wrote:Too much of anything is bad, and sucks the fun out of it.
I think this hits the nail on the head. 2010 really marks the first time we've had to turn down events.

Enthusiasm - work = fun
The key is for work not to exceed enthusiasm.

A couple other ideas we've been toying with:
-Stanchion off the ecto and busters and request a donation to the charity for photos
-Bring a couple busters to each event, and have the rest of the team act as non costumed support staff (in franchise logo polos)
-Rotate into and out of gear at longer events.

Anyone have any success with those strategies?
By GhostbustersNJ
There is a difference between a whiner and someone who sees people being taken advantage of and wants to do something about it.

We've been at this since 2008, at the moment our website is taking over 5,000 hits a day and we've been requested for over 60 appearences this year. This is quckly switching from hobby to part time job, and I'm sure we are not the only franchise seeing this sort of popularity.

As franchises grow like this, as a whole we need to all be careful to not let success be our undoing, and I'm hoping to generate a few ideas here which everyone can use, and bring to light a few pitfalls that new franchises can avoid.
By ProtonCharger
GhostbustersNJ wrote:we did way too many events for our own good, and we didnt get anything we wanted out of it, wah boo hoo cry
ftfy. you'll get no sympathy out of me.
By ProtonCharger
GhostbustersNJ wrote:i dug my own hole and i cant get out of it! personal attack!
ftfy.

look. you chose to do 27 events. knowing FULL WELL that people are assholes.

watch:
-At recent large events, we tend to end up posing for photos for 4-6 hours without a break.
If we take a lunch break, try to do an interview with local news, or just talk with someone, people will interrupt us non stop. There just seems to be a sense of entitlement that leads to manors going out the window. Trying to enjoy the events we attend is nearly impossible due to all the photo requests.
"at a large event we end up posing for photos for 4-5 hours with out a break. usually we're there the whole time and we're having our photo taken because we are in a ghostbuster costume. if we try to eat, get interviewed by the news or talk with someone, we're interrupted for another picture."

boo f****g hoo. you're in a ghostbusters COSTUME doing AN EVENT where your COSTUME is needed. if you're there collecting money, you're not there to "enjoy" you're there to "Work". bottom. line. and part of that "work" is posing for pictures so those people that interrupt you while you're trying to get on tv, so you can collect more money. because you are "working". you're whining. get over yourself. if anything, the only time where i would say you are allowed to take issue, is when you are sitting down with food in your hand and someone wants a pic. other wise suck it up you cry baby.
-Crazy photographers, they're everywhere. We were actually told by the NYPD on halloween night to stop being so awesome, as we were causing foot traffic issues. There were people running out into moving traffic for photos, even out infront of the ecto as we were driving down the street.
"people wanting to take our photos doing whatever they can to take pics. they were causing traffic problems. they were running into traffic and causing all kinds of ruckuss to take our pictures."

its not YOUR fault people are stupid and dont pay attention. this isnt even an issue worth mentioning. you were doing what you were supposed to do, following sidewalks, obeying traffic laws. if they want to run into traffic to get a picture of a crybaby, then more power to them. take the cop's remark and shut your mouth.
-Crazy adults: everyone knows storm troopers, spider man, and trekkies are from a movie, but for some reason at least 40% of the people we meet think we are real ghostbusters and they must tell us about the ghost in their attic. Many of them become upset or even angry when we tell them that ghostbusters is only a movie.
"crazy people. everyone knows about other costumes from movies, but 40 % of people are telling us their house is haunted. i dont live in a reality where people are patronizing me."

people run their mouth. people are stupid. you roll with it, or you dont belong in that uniform. grow a sense of humor because you're wearing a costume from a comedy movie. if you are not an approachably funny human being, you need to find the nearest star trek uniform and join with those dick holes.
-Unapprecciatve event organizers: Some are great, we show up, have some fun, take a few pictures, and then they treat us to the event, maybe a free lunch etc. However more and more we have been running into event organizers who treat us as employees, working a queue line for 6 hours with no break, food, or pay.
"wah. the event organizer didnt give me any freebies! im so angry that i didnt get anything for working for donations for charity. i dont care that the money being spent was for the event to get people in the door and not the people working it."
Maybe we are just burnt out from the holiday season, but it just seems that busting is becoming 80% hard work and 20% fun.
27 events. you didnt get your recognition. you are complaining. boo. hoo. get over yourself. no sympathy from me. in your case "busting makes you look like a whiner."
By Boomerjinks
This is sort of why we've taken so long to get into the charity scene. There are times doing what we do feels like work -immediately prior to a road trip, setting up a booth at a car show or event- and we HATE that. We don't even like to consider ourselves a franchise, as we're just in it for the fun. No "uniform" inspections, no dues, no regulations. Our only rules are that you don't act like a dick or dork, and the only reason we've kicked people out of our group was because their behavior took away from the fun of the other members.

Sounds like you spread yourself too thin trying to make a big debut. Next year, only do things that you want to do anyway.
By The Roach On Twelve
ORLY?
Boomerjinks wrote: I'm sorry, but you put yourself in this position when you showed up with this unprofessional appearance.
We were trying to present a franchise that has its shit together and you show up like that? You're not Elon.
;)
By GhostbustersNJ
Boomerjinks wrote:There are times doing what we do feels like work -immediately prior to a road trip, setting up a booth at a car show or event- and we HATE that. We don't even like to consider ourselves a franchise, as we're just in it for the fun.
Bingo. As virtuous as we like to be, noone truly creates a ghostbuster group just for charity. Why spend several thousand dollars on a car, packs, gear, uniforms, and gas to go raise a few hundred $ for a charity event? One could easily make an online donation with zero expense, and do a lot more for the charity.

We became ghostbusters for fun, and like to help out charities while we have fun.
We do for free what clowns and magicians do for $200-300 per hour. Am I looking for $, no, but at the same time, I hate asking my team members to leave their paying dayjob to come work even harder for free, unless we are at least going to enjoy ourselves.

Maybe we're just doing it wrong.
By ProtonCharger
GhostbustersNJ wrote:Maybe we're just doing it wrong.
and that is why you complain.

its stupid to do that amount of events anyway, especially since it appears you're only doing it for recognition, free food and to get on tv. you've only succeeded in dickwaving, and it isnt anything to look at because you're complaining about it.

ideally, you want to do one event a day, if you must do many. or 2-3 big events for charity during the halloween season. which really, is common sense anyway, and complaints from that amount of events ALSO would gain no sympathy from me.
By Ectoman_913
We try really hard to balance it out. This year has been our big push more towards charities and stuff. We went to our friends that own a haunted house and we pull the car up take pictures and have fun, then the next week we did a car show charity.

But we are never treated like employees (at least I've never felt like that) But more like guests to help promote there charity and raise money.

We've been a group for eight years now and we still love it. We always have fun no matter what we do. But I know how people can get overwhelmed.
By Boomerjinks
I think it sounds like Chris is just at that starting point we all go through when we finally get our groups up and running.

Stage 1 - Build shitty gear and car, get blind-sided by how well it is generally received

Stage 2 - Realize, probably too late for your first season, that you could do extraordinary things with your gear and people

Stage 3 - Put a lot of effort into making your gear, car, and people look "professional", whore yourself out to every possible venue and location, trying hard but failing to get the word out on your group through any available media outlet

Stage 4 - Realize through tough experience that there are only certain situations in which your stupid car and silly costumes will be appropriate or wildly successful

Stage 5 - Ease back, attend only the events where you fit in, have a real good time

Stage 6 - Get generally sick of Ghostbusters, start wearing other costumes but still drive the car, get new friends to wear the packs and suits so you don't have to pose for pictures anymore ;)
By BCarn
We do a lot of events around this time of year (which I feel is the norm for most groups on here) and drawing a crowd and having people want pictures like crazy is the norm. You're dressed up like a Ghostbuster. It's one of the most recognizable franchises out there. People see your gear and they get pumped, they're going to want a picture.

We did the Pittsburgh Zombie Walk and we took every bit of 1000 pictures over 10 hours. The only time it was a bother was when we were eating, and that's when you put on your professional pants and politely ask the people to wait until you've finished taking a break or eating or whatever. That's all we said when people asked for pictures while we were eating and people were more than happy to wait.

We worked at a haunted house for two years and at first we got absolutely nothing from the organizer. Free water, yeah, but no food or soda or anything like that. We came back next year and we were allowed some amenities. Things don't always pay off right away, and you really can't go into it with a sense of entitlement.

And as far as people thinking your stuff is real? THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING about going out in gear. Roll with it! See how long you can keep them going. Throw technical jargon at them about photons and muons and how you tried to drill a hole in your head. They'll either keep believing and you can have a discreet laugh, or they'll get that you're messing with them and appreciate the joke.

I for one know that I've put alot of time and money into my gear. Being swamped for pictures and creating that general chaos when we're at big events makes it worth it because i know that all of those pictures being taken and all of the mobs we draw come from people thinking "What they've done there is cool"
By GhostbustersNJ
stage 3 and 4 complete this season.
Initiating stage 5.

The thing about recognition though, it's a double edge sword.
-If your group is known, advertising a groups appearence can draw people out to a charity event. We were rather touched last year when a kid came out to a toys for tots collection in December wearing his own home made proton pack.
-On the other side, it can also result in kickback of being too well known and loosing your novelty.
And as far as people thinking your stuff is real? THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING about going out in gear. Roll with it! See how long you can keep them going.
Great point, I did enjoy this. I think after hearing it for the 10,000th time this month, I just need a break for it to regain it's novelty.

The best thing though, try to explain the relevance of electromagnetic fields to "ghost" sightings to a kid. 3 out of 4 will glaze over and run away.
By Foom Man
This is actually a pretty awesome topic for the post Halloween season. I only wish I weren't on my cell when replying.

The entire "feeling like a job" attitude rings true for me. I love doing it, but after the fan film, the website, the multiple news stories in New England's biggest papers, the ABC story... we had over two dozen event requests in one week. Saying no thanks to most of them certainly resulted in some annoyed organizers, but what can you do? You're a non profit with your own job, schoolwork, wife, kid, mortgage, etc.

We actually lucked out when a few of us got sick after New England Comic Con. It gave us an excuse to bail on three events we were dreading due to travel and time. I agree that fewer, better events is the way to go.

Get ready for Halloween 2012 when gb3 is out... have the masues ready.
By Ectoman_913
My time is spread pretty thin as it is, Between work, being a paranormal investigator and a Ghostbuster is hard, and I also have to be a father and husband too. So I try really hard to balance everything out. So far it has worked but I think when my next baby comes (march) I'm going to have to re-evaluate everything I'm doing and create a new balance with the inv part of me taking a long break. (I can never stop doing the GB thing)

Time will tell. My plan for 2011 is a charity a month at least with some cons in between and if time ever slows enough finally get that fan film done lol. (doubt that will happen)
By GAVAL
Just sounds like you spread yourself a little thin is all.

Quick Solutions:
1 - Set a policy that a Donation of "X" must be made to your charity before you'll appear at an event...or at least during peak times. It's not selfish to ask and it'll thin the requests depending on what you ask. Remember, when you go out to an event that Time is money, and that just going out there is costing you fuel and time that might be better spent elsewhere.

2 - We ask for a donation when folks take pictures of us if they dont' put something in our charity jar before taking the pic. We don't insist on it. We don't even solicit it before the picture is taken, but that moment is when we open a dialog about why we're there. That nets us about 50-100 bucks per hour in cash to send up to whatever charity we're working.

If it stops being fun, it's time for a hiatus. You don't want to become a hater of what you love most.

We're going on hiatus starting this Monday until 2011 to enjoy family and the holidays. We MAY try to appear at one Christmas parade, but that's it until we reappear at the end of January at a Con.

Remember, it's just a hobby! Don't let it become a job! You are a volunteer, not a ward of the state of New Jersey!

Congratulations on your popularity!

I was worried about you guys when you mentioned 27 events in October. Glad you survived it, but don't let it destroy you!

G

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]