By cowbybill
Hi All,
We have a theme park up here in the Bay Area who would like to have us appear at the park for some events. The problem is thier legal dept. wants to know if we are offically recoginized by Sony pictures so there is no copyright infringement.
Have any other franchises expreienced this, and if so what has been your response? Also has Sony ever offically endorsed the non-profit franchises (which we are, we do not and cannot legally get paid for appearances). Any help you guys can give would be great. I thought about telling them Dan Aykryod supports the franchises but don't even know if I should go down that road.
anyways thanks for any help and insight you can give into this.
As far as I know, and from what we've been involved with in FL, as long as you're not making any PROFIT from making an appearance, there is no problem. Worse case scenario, you get a cease and desist at which time you simply comply....as far as using the gb logo is concerned all you need to do is change it 10% to make it legal to use...
However, one could argue that the park is profiting from the GB franchise presence there. A number of patrons who may go to the park to see said GB's, thus making money for the theme park through the use of a non endorsed franchise.

The legal risk is on the park, not the franchise, since you do not charge a fee. This is why the park wants to know if you are endorsed.
By GAVAL
I believe the Arizona Ghostbusters have some kind of official nod from Sony. They use a Sony inflatable Stay Puft Marshmallow man owned by Sony at some of their events if I understood correctly.

G
ProtonCharger wrote:uh no. ask jetta jeffro why he doesn't come around much anymore.

it involves that staypuft and someone being thrown under a bus.
Care to elaborate on that?
I don't know where people get this 10% idea. If the logo is still identifiable as "Ghostbusters" or could reasonably be mistaken for "Ghostbusters" then it is an infringement. It also doesn't matter if it is for profit, charity, or fun. Changing a photo, painting, or sculpture by 10% does not make it legal to reproduce it. It is no different for this particular piece of Sony property.

If Sony so desired, they could shut any number of fan sites down as well as put a very abrupt stop to all the franchises. Luckily, Sony seems to realize that letting us have our fun is a good thing for the Ghostbusters property. That could change if people start doing things to piss them off. Whether an appearance is for charity or not, it would still be within Sony's rights to put a stop to it.
deadderek liked this
kevinj319 wrote:I don't know where people get this 10% idea. If the logo is still identifiable as "Ghostbusters" or could reasonably be mistaken for "Ghostbusters" then it is an infringement. It also doesn't matter if it is for profit, charity, or fun. Changing a photo, painting, or sculpture by 10% does not make it legal to reproduce it. It is no different for this particular piece of Sony property.

If Sony so desired, they could shut any number of fan sites down as well as put a very abrupt stop to all the franchises. Luckily, Sony seems to realize that letting us have our fun is a good thing for the Ghostbusters property. That could change if people start doing things to piss them off. Whether an appearance is for charity or not, it would still be within Sony's rights to put a stop to it.

I was wondering about that 10% nonsense stuff myself. In my job,I have to deal with the fun copyright stuff daily....ugh.
By GAVAL
ProtonCharger wrote:uh no. ask jetta jeffro why he doesnt come around much anymore.

I got a completely differant story from a very reliable source. Looks like you're misinformed. Might wanna talk to Jeff yourself again about it.

In fact, if you or me or anyone else wants to fill out the proper paperwork and go pick up the Stay Puft Balloon, you can do so any time, provided Arizona isnt' already using it that day!

G
GAVAL wrote:
ProtonCharger wrote:uh no. ask jetta jeffro why he doesnt come around much anymore.

I got a completely differant story from a very reliable source. Looks like you're misinformed. Might wanna talk to Jeff yourself again about it.

In fact, if you or me or anyone else wants to fill out the proper paperwork and go pick up the Stay Puft Balloon, you can do so any time, provided Arizona isnt' already using it that day!

G
please. post that reliable source's story, and where you can pick up the staypuft.
kevinj319 wrote:I don't know where people get this 10% idea. If the logo is still identifiable as "Ghostbusters" or could reasonably be mistaken for "Ghostbusters" then it is an infringement. It also doesn't matter if it is for profit, charity, or fun. Changing a photo, painting, or sculpture by 10% does not make it legal to reproduce it. It is no different for this particular piece of Sony property.

That's what we are concerned about we do not want to piss off Sony..we want to go do charity events to Sony's guidlines (if any). and not run the risk being shut down or have sony shutting everyone down.
When it comes to fan activites, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Sony doesn't have time to answer every question put to them about a 25 year old franchise and it's easier for them to just say "no" to everything than actually think about it. It's also easier for them to just send a C&D If they see something done they don't like as actually prosecuting isn't worth their time either. Unless you've heard something offical from Sony saying not to do something chances are you won't have a problem doing it. Just don't accept money and don't kill anyone while in costume, that's how the 501st makes most of thier events work.
jackdoud wrote:When it comes to fan activites, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Sony doesn't have time to answer every question put to them about a 25 year old franchise and it's easier for them to just say "no" to everything than actually think about it. It's also easier for them to just send a C&D If they see something done they don't like as actually prosecuting isn't worth their time either. Unless you've heard something offical from Sony saying not to do something chances are you won't have a problem doing it. Just don't accept money and don't kill anyone while in costume, that's how the 501st makes most of thier events work.
Please excuse my utter ignorance but what is this 501st I keep hearing about?
By GAVAL
Some franchises just don't use the "no ghost" patch, and substitute their custom patch in its place.

We actually use both, similar to what Alabama and Georgia do, one on each arm. If we ever got a Cease and Decist order, we'd just take the official patch off our right arms and keep the Louisiana Ghostbusters logo on our left. That logo is copywrited and completely original, so we'd be in the safe with using it however we'd like.

G
By Henners
since Sony actually hired some of the franchises to do appearances to promote the video game, I'd say it is safe to say 1) they are WELL aware 2) they don't care.

However, you're kinda asking for trouble with what you're doing. I'd say it's safe to say - don't do it.

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]