By Massacci
Calling anyone in the Irving Texas or DFW area. If you are interested in joining a fan group/paranormal society without the strict guidlines of other groups in the area, then we are the group for you. Our emphasis will be on paranormal investigations and other fan related activities. There will be some requirements to be a part of the group, but these are flexible. For more information please contact me at irving.ghostbusters@yahoo.com or pm me.
The strict guidelines I refer to are that they say new members must be FULLY equiped before they can join. Basically this, no Proton Pack no membership. I don't agree with the policy at all, considering they offer no real help to you to acheive membership with them either. That's why I decided to form my own franchise.
This is the first I've heard of this but then again I'm speaking for another franchise. I'll let them state their own guidelines.

Personally, I know Red Death is a new member and has been since last year and is only just now about to finish up her own pack. She's only had a suit up until now.

BTW, the NET Busters will be in Irving for the Comic Con in May and we'd love to meet you and hang out at the show. Pm me and we can make plans.
Well I was pursuing membership with the Dallas GBs for over 2 years. I was told one thing, and then told I needed a pack to join. At one point I offered to pay for labor and parts to help assemble my own pack, and I was told I had to do it entirely on my own. Due to my family and living situation this is a near impossibility. After the franchise changed to the DFW Ghostbusters, I again tried to gain membership and was once again told by HAM himself that I needed all the equipment to join. After 2 years of begging I am done.
Well, yeah, most of us do build our own packs with our own time and money. I built my own from researching plans here. It took me all of 2009 but I got it done. In the meantime, our guys met the DFW, Houston, Oklahoma, and Louisiana guys at conventions around the state and now we're all cool with each other. We all plan to be at BusterPalooza in Houston in late May. Is there a chance you'd be able to make it? It'd be a great way for folks to get to know you and vice versa.

I'd be glad to help out if you have any prop questions. I don't know much but I can tell you what I do know!

Good luck, my friend.
ZY wrote:The old "Dallas Ghostbusters" had the "have all equipment or no join" rule, but the new DFW Guys dont have that rule. I am "kinda" a member right now and my pack isnt near finished.
As a cornerstone member of the DFW group, the rule is still in place. But, that's just my recollection, and if Ectoglow or another cornerstone member says the status has changed, I will gladly retract that comment.

I mean, we have a few members that have taken different roles within the organization, but they have paid their dues a different way - one member has assembled a complete and accurate Janine Melnitz costume for instance (but she still intends on building an RGB pack to boot.)

If you want to create an Irving group, that's totally cool. I know that since gas prices are going sky high, we rarely get together anyway (plus, we are kind of past that phase.) We mostly coordinate through e-mail, and when an event takes place, that usually serves AS the meeting.
Steve is correct. But I want to clarify something to those of you who might be confused here. Steve has been with us since the beginning and I'm sure he knows as well as the others do that I wouldn't ever make a choice on how we function as a group without consulting all parties involved.

That being said and I'm only going to say this once need I point it out in past convo's nick and I have had. I did not say you had to have ALL the gear to be in. I said we as a group prefer that you at least have a pack. I've even said that if you wanted to and could afford it that we would help you build one. If you're going to point something like this out please do it correctly. I didn't tell you that you had to have all of the gear. Not 1 of us has all of the equipment and even if any of us did it would probably be Steve. If you wanna start your own group go for it more power to you no hard feelings but seriously man, you need to let whatever it is that I did to piss you go or talk about it with me. You have my number call me and we'll talk.

I wish you the best of luck at this and hope that we can all get together during a con at some point and chill.
Very true Tim but you living out of state and almost never coming to town kinda hurts that. BUT if you were here you would have no problems I'm sure :D
Matt, I respect you. Out of all the Dallas GBs, you were the only one who was friendly, open, and understanding. As for the rest of the members I encountered, the majority were quite rude. Not in a direct sense of course, but the absolute silence and lack of conversation coupled with the strange looks I recieved... Looks that said "What are you doing here? Do you really think you belong here with US?" Its absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for. I really dont appreciate that disrespect. Who are you to give me an attitude like you are better than me? I have a real life with a girlfriend & two beautiful children to support. I have a car payment, car insurance, 2 phone bills, an electric bill, & rent to pay. All of which is paid off of a monthly income of barely $1200 a month. Building a Proton Pack & attending cons on a regular basis is completely unrealistic. If that is still expected for someone of my means in order to become a member, then I completely disagree with you & dont want to be a part of that.
massacci, i think your looking into things a little to much. if the dfw gb's acted like that i would have never joined. sure some of the members might be a little timid at first and that's just because we aren't familiar with you. the more you're around them the less timid they become. i do agree that building a proton pack and attending cons on a regular basis is unrealistic, especially for someone with a limited income (i.e. me :( ). there are cons that i would love to go to but i cant afford it both monetarily and due to lack time.
Massacci wrote:Matt, I respect you. Out of all the Dallas GBs, you were the only one who was friendly, open, and understanding. As for the rest of the members I encountered, the majority were quite rude. Not in a direct sense of course, but the absolute silence and lack of conversation coupled with the strange looks I recieved... Looks that said "What are you doing here? Do you really think you belong here with US?" Its absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for. I really dont appreciate that disrespect. Who are you to give me an attitude like you are better than me? I have a real life with a girlfriend & two beautiful children to support. I have a car payment, car insurance, 2 phone bills, an electric bill, & rent to pay. All of which is paid off of a monthly income of barely $1200 a month. Building a Proton Pack & attending cons on a regular basis is completely unrealistic. If that is still expected for someone of my means in order to become a member, then I completely disagree with you & dont want to be a part of that.

I think Red said it best but for the sake of it I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

First off I appreciate the compliment. At the same time I agree with red on this. You are looking WAY to much into things like that. I will speak for the other dfw gb's on this. We over all are not a rude bunch of people. You have to understand that the majority of this aren't just going to welcome anyone with open arms like we've known you for years. That being said we are always nice and respectful to everyone we encounter. I'm guessing you are reffuring to the dinner at applebee's after the game release which is where I'm sure you got some of these looks your talking about. No one on our crew thought anything like that believe me if they didn't want you there they would have said so. If I didn't want you around i'd tell you.

Being in a group does involve going out in public and attending cons. If your in a cosplay group of any kind but don't have the means to create your costume or go out into public then...what kind of group are you??? The kind that sits around at home on the couch? We don't require anyone to really do anything our guys (and gals) do what they can when they can. We all have day jobs and have bills to pay granted very few of us have kids but those of us that do still manage to be able to participate in the long run. It may not be as often as we would like but it happens.

So what I'm getting from this here and is the same thing i got from when we argued about it on face book. You want to join a group but you cant afford your gear or the time to go out and participate and be involved so....we're the bad guys for asking you to at least get a pack together???? I don't get it. Even if that wasn't the case and we said sure come on in and join you'd still have to go to cons every now and then and actually show up once in a while for any of us let alone the public to take you seriously.

I know I'm coming off like a dick but damn dude you cant honestly hold a chip on your shoulder and be mad at us because you are unable to get a pack together. I told you this a long time ago and i'll tell you now. Get the money and we will help you build a pack. If you can't afford it sorry, nothing any of us can do about it. None of us have packs we can just hand out to those who don't have them. We're not made of money either. So....where are you going with this??? Stay mad if you want but you talk about being realistic with this so I'll be just that. You have to have a costume on to convince people you are dressed up.

A flight suit and goggles are a great start but we ask that you have a pack. If you don't have one and can afford to by the parts then we will be more than happy to help you. I'm going to quote one of of our other members who said this earlier tonight. In the 2 years you have spent pointing fingers at us for not letting you in you could have been spending that time getting the funds together and piece by piece started gathering the parts for us to actually help you out. But no you chose to spend that time being mad and casting blame on others for something that's in the long run your own fault.

If you want to make your own group fine I hope it works out for you but I'm done with the attitude that we have shunned you because that is not the case. I understand you have a tight budget and priorities we all do but at some point or another we have all managed to squeeze some extra cash together and get our gear made. I'm sure at some point you'll be able to do the same.
In my experience I have always found that when you find others who have similar interests, they are always eager to conversate with and befriend you. Thats why in my experience with you guys that I have had these feelings of being an outcast, because only a select handful of you actually opened up and talked. The rest would remain completely silent, avoid eye contact or conversate with others and only answer if a direct question was posed to them. And then when you attempt to join in on a conversation you get this strange look. Maybe I am off, but to me that is rude. And Im not just reffering to the dinner at Applebees and the IHOP experience afterwards. Every event I attended with the Dallas GBs I can name at least two people who behaved this way. My other reasons for being upset stem from being told one thing, and then being told something else. This happened in the very beginning when I first tried to join, and when I tried to join again with the new DFW branch.
At first I was told you guys were just a fan group who got together and went to cons and that I was already considered a member. Then I was told I needed a pack. For something that is considered to be a simple fan group, not a fraternity or an actual recognized organization, this seems to me to be a ridiculous expectation. Now on the other hand if I was informed from the beginning that this was a cosplay group and that you needed a full costume to become a member, that would be completely different and I would have no reason to be arguing this. Im not pointing a finger of blame at anyone for not having my own pack. Thats not the issue. The issue is that I have been misinformed time and again. If you are going to be the type of group you set out to be, then make sure every member knows it. Make sure its posted on your web site. Dont make exceptions to the rule just because someone says that they "plan" to build a pack. Thats where people like myself will become upset because we feel excluded.
What do you want me to do? First off I font know who you have been talking to but I'm gonna clue you in on something's and then I'd suggest you drop it and get back to the topic of your thread. You more than likely did most of your talking about joining with thiago a while back. Whatever he told you doesn't matter at this point for several reasons. 1. It was not brought to the groups attention and 2. He isn't in the group anymore. I dony know what you wanted us to do when your around. Did u just want us to hug you and say welcome in? That's not how we do things if you don't like it tough shit. We are a reasonable bunch of people and we treat everyone with respect. Just because you have a jump suit on does t mean your going to get a gold star from anyone. Ya it's effort but damn man, what fud you want us to do??

You said you could name those who were rude to you so do it. Tell me who it wad and I'll have a talk with them about it. Give me names I wanna know who it was. You told me the first time we met at Raines that you didnt have money or a lot of free time but you would try to make meetings and events and after several attempts to get you involved I personally stopped trying because after you get told no so many times what's the point? Serioisly nick get your thread back on topic. You derailed it by trying to talk crap about us because your butt hurt that we didn't let you play in our sand box when I even offered to help you out. Not to mention you keep bouncing your story around and can't seems to keep it straight. I hope you find a group that wants to do allthe things you mentioned earlier butthat will involve you having the time and money to put in to it be it Dfw gbs or not. End of story.
/sigh

sir you may have missed a few points. When we were the "Dallas Ghostbusters" I was informed that you had interest in joining the group. Yet, you attended 1 meeting (before I was even associated with DGB's) then dropped off the face of the planet and no one heard from you. With this rule of being fully geared.. really? Do you know how much gear that actually is? If that were the case then none and I repeat NONE of us would be in the group. All of us either have a pack or one is being built, a few of us have goggles, traps, PKE meters. None of us have a slime blower or KUD meter and 2 of us have a game pack. Even with that list I'm prolly missing somethings.

The rule has always been: If you do have a pack then they need to be uniformed like the rest of ours. Meaning.. looks like the movies and/or game. If it is not then we CAN help you make look more uniform. an example; You have a pack and overall it looks good but you have backpack straps instead of the military straps. we will help you find the proper straps.

OR...

If you do NOT have a pack then we CAN help you build one. We won't build one for you out of our pockets (thats just insane in thinking so) but if we have an extra part or two that if we want to give you to help you along the way then that's fine. We can help you look for parts etc but you are the one who is A) going to have to buy it and B) make the attempt.. but we can help

This isn't necessarily a rule as it is a guide line but you have to get along with the rest of the members. Sure we argue, bicker, and fight like children sometimes but there's overall love and compassion in this group. granted we know when our members are being a bit rash and we'll call them on it. I don't associate myself with 24/7 douchebags or work with people who make shitty work then say it's better than (insert name here) then be an ass about it later when corrected.

These rules were put in place when I was wanting to going the group. I followed them. it took me about 5 months to build my first pack and I'm damned proud of it. Not everyone can come to every meeting/con/get together. We get that.. LIFE happens we get that. To say that we're rude, we have these insane rules and stipulations then that is poor taste on you.

I do hope everything with the Irving franchise works out for you

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]