By Sledge
OK I have looked at a lot of threads and read a lot of posts on GBfans being GBI. is this going to be the case?
weather this happens or not is there going to be some kind of structure to this group other than the franchises?
I can say it would be a good thing to organize this to a level that might help with events and planning. I realize there are a fair share who might not want this to happen. my honest question is why? I ask this with honest curiosity and would like everyone's opinion on this. so I can understand both sides. I think if we brought some order to this we could see some nice benefits as a larger group rather than opposites pushing each other away. i still think that keeping the smaller franchises for the local events is a good idea but what about the large events that draw members from all over. if we had structure there could be quite a bit we could put together for most Cons and events of that nature.
By Dan AKA
Some kind of organization will be going into effect. On the level of the 501? Absolutely not. They have a ridgid structure I feel a lot of fans do not like, and some fans do not have the money for. As much of a great reputation 501st might have with charities and LFL, I have found many of them to leave a foul taste in the mouths of those who are not in thier club.
By Sledge
Dan AKA wrote:Some kind of organization will be going into effect. On the level of the 501? Absolutely not. They have a ridgid structure I feel a lot of fans do not like, and some fans do not have the money for. As much of a great reputation 501st might have with charities and LFL, I have found many of them to leave a foul taste in the mouths of those who are not in thier club.
yeah i do understand that. believe me I get loopy every time they bring up new amendments in the 501st. think its a lawyers guild sometimes. :lol:
By Dan AKA
I'm glad you understand. :) I know it has been slow on the franchise side of things lately, but with the video game just released and PKE Surge taking up all of my time I have found little time to work on things. But I can assure you that GBFans is working on a franchise specific section that is beyond just this message board. Hopefully the specifics can come together this summer, I'll have to see how things work out.
By Sledge
Dan AKA wrote:I'm glad you understand. :) I know it has been slow on the franchise side of things lately, but with the video game just released and PKE Surge taking up all of my time I have found little time to work on things. But I can assure you that GBFans is working on a franchise specific section that is beyond just this message board. Hopefully the specifics can come together this summer, I'll have to see how things work out.
if there is anything I can do to help let me know.
By AJ Quick
I have been working on the Franchise section the last two days and it should be ready to go online sometime in the next week. (I was hoping for today but there are a lot of details still yet to be figured out and connections with GBFans features that still need to be established).

The basic structure of the Franchise system will be setup like this:

A team leader will create the Franchise using the GBFans system. Basic information is inputted like the name, location, a description, a logo, website.. etc. The franchise will then automatically be assigned a number. (If it was a legacy franchise the previous GBI assigned number will be transferred on request).

Once all is setup you will be able to invite your fellow group members to join. These users must be on your friends list here at GBFans in order for you to find them. They become invited and then must approve the decision to join the franchise.

Once you have members setup you can give them ranks, nicknames or titles.. etc.

From the Franchise you can add events (a new system coming with Franchises), link your fan fiction, link your props, fan art, and blog. It will be a centralized hub for your franchise and your members. A way to branch outwards from GBFans connecting all your members and their creations together.
By Sledge
ok now I have seen some refer to this as BGI....... so am I to assume that Ghostbusters international is what this has become?
By AJ Quick
GB International refers to the Role Playing Game created in the late 80's which specifies that all franchises are subdivisions of GBI and run by Louis Tully. It is unrelated to the website GBI which will continue to be around.

It is my goal to compliment the GBI website vs. take away from it. This will be setup similar to any franchise that is on MySpace or whatever.
By Walter Neff
Quick note regarding the 501st, which was mentioned in an earlier post. I have nothing but respect for them, but when I submitted my Tusken Raider costume for their approval, the response I got was, shall we say, a bit dubious. Again, don't mean to bash anybody or toot my own horn but my costume met or exceeded the quality of many many approved costumes I've seen and should have been approved in a heartbeat. And yet it's been nearly a year and all I have gotten is runaround so I finally gave up on getting 501st approval on it. Again, just my two cents, but I think when you get to the point that you need some sort of governing board tasked with telling people whether or not their homemade Star Wars toys suck or not, you might be taking things a bit too seriously.

I don't know, I get what they're trying to do and I respect the desire to foster quality, but personally I just tend to think it's best to avoid putting in place a bureaucracy that has the power to hurt people's feelings.
Bill
By AJ Quick
That is absolutely not what we want to do.

We do want to make sure that group members atleast have a uniform that looks okay, and that everything looks uniform (similar) between the group.. it kind of looks tacky when people have suits that two different colors between them.

That being said we aren't gonna enforce anything like that.
By Sledge
ok. just wondering for my own knowledge.
would this still be called GB fans as well or is there something else like "Ghostbusters Incorporated" tacked on to it?
By abntroop
HA! I remember when the 501st was just getting cranked up and there were only a handful of us fans. It all started with with ideas which are dangerous btw lol) translated into organizational posts such as the above. Organization is good, and it has the potential of opening up some great opportunities, provided we don't let a bunch of tools take over. That's why I quit the legion after 9 years and some change of trooping :/
By Sledge
abntroop wrote:HA! I remember when the 501st was just getting cranked up and there were only a handful of us fans. It all started with with ideas which are dangerous btw lol) translated into organizational posts such as the above. Organization is good, and it has the potential of opening up some great opportunities, provided we don't let a bunch of tools take over. That's why I quit the legion after 9 years and some change of trooping :/
yeah I am still a member i just stay out of the crap. reading the rules over there you need a law degree from Harvard.
I think this has much potential as long as people work together, and remember bigger things can happen when you work together. and as long as its not mucked up with politics and bias choices.
By abntroop
eah, i spent my last couple years involved with the garrison command as xo and that was a mistake, the politics really ruined the hobby for me :/ hindsight is 20/20 I guess, so learn from the mistake, move on and focus on the fun aspects of trooping.
Last edited by abntroop on July 23rd, 2009, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sledge
Charlie_Richter wrote:This is not going to be anything like 501st.

Its about smaller groups of people getting together and doing events and what not.
you know............ I can understand the thoughts people have on the 501st. I know that there are some that just think that because they belong to the 501st they are somehow better. I am a member and I do it because I wanted to do something for others. same reason our GB franchise is together. we want to do something that is bigger than our own Ego's. I will however say that they are quit well organized. due the lengths they go as a group we get to sit down with people like Peter Mayhew or Ray Park. this would not be as easy to do if we were divided and did not work together.
now i can agree that we do not go the 501st rout as far as all the excess rules and over the top costume requirements. but maybe take the good things like team work.

Just my $.02
By Sledge
Charlie_Richter wrote:I just want to see people having fun.
you and me both.

#1 rule should be exactly that lol.
#2 should be don't actually use the yellow tube for a piss hose lol.

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]