By Dan Shannon
Sledge, I don't wanna piss on anyone's parade when it comes to the 501st including yours, but I've never seen the biggest group of self-righteous, criticism-happy jerks this side of Lake Michigan next to those dudes. I know they're well organized, but so is the post office.

I did a gig at the Museum of Science and Industry when they were doing something with the Science of MOvie Making shtick they were doing one summer dressed in my Pack and Uniform and the 501st were there. I complemented on their armor saying it was cool, but not returning the favor, one of the dudes dressed in I think Scout Trooper armor started ripping my first pack apart telling me how shitty it was.

Like I said, I can't fault the WHOLE group, but that just pissed me off. If anything, not everyone is the best prop builder in the universe. Believe you-me, I know I suck, but embarrassing me in front of people dressed as Lord of the Rings characters and people in the museum is just downright cruel.

We have to make sure we keep the BS to a minimum with this, everyone will have fun if we do.
By Sledge
Dan Shannon wrote:Sledge, I don't wanna piss on anyone's parade when it comes to the 501st including yours, but I've never seen the biggest group of self-righteous, criticism-happy jerks this side of Lake Michigan next to those dudes. I know they're well organized, but so is the post office.

I did a gig at the Museum of Science and Industry when they were doing something with the Science of MOvie Making shtick they were doing one summer dressed in my Pack and Uniform and the 501st were there. I complemented on their armor saying it was cool, but not returning the favor, one of the dudes dressed in I think Scout Trooper armor started ripping my first pack apart telling me how shitty it was.

Like I said, I can't fault the WHOLE group, but that just pissed me off. If anything, not everyone is the best prop builder in the universe. Believe you-me, I know I suck, but embarrassing me in front of people dressed as Lord of the Rings characters and people in the museum is just downright cruel.

We have to make sure we keep the BS to a minimum with this, everyone will have fun if we do.
no you are not pissing on my parade trust me. the only reason I actually stay with the 501st is I am doing it because I love the charity aspect. i found out real fast just how a lot of the group plays when I told someone I thought was a friend I was doing a GB costume. well I guess we are only friends if all I do is star wars related, because I have not heard from him since. and personally I am not doing this for him or any other costumer out there. when I can put a smile on the face of a sick child and help them to take their mind of their illness for a moment its worth every penny I put into it........... just wish I had 2 pennies to rub together now lol.
By bradboss12
sounds like a massive undertaking. We are still building our franchise. Ou bylaws state that you must have a uniform, but we do not specify a color. After a 90 day "Trainee" period, you get the balck and gold uniform. So, in our group, the colors designate rank. We are going to have Honorary members, too, who have helped us with donations towards the fan film or our franchise.
By AJ Quick
Just an update.

I am now done with the linking program.

The next step will be actually making the Franchise display pages. Then everything is just about done!

Some things to help yourself prepare..
  • Have a Franchise Name Ready.
  • Have a good two paragraph bit of info written about your franchise.
  • Have a Square Sized Logo Ready in JPG Form
  • Have a website.. or perhaps a 3rd party place to link to?
  • Have all members signed up on GBFans.
  • Have all members profile's up to date with location, age, and a profile picture.
  • Have Props Uploaded if Real Franchise.
  • Have Fan Fiction Uploaded if Fictional.
By Sledge
AJ Quick wrote:Just an update.

The next step will be actually making the Franchise display pages. Then everything is just about done!

[*]Have all members signed up on GBFans.
Hey we got members that are not so Keen on joining any forums.... is this one set in stone?
By dr_logan
I'm still in the recruiting process... Got a few people, but we are far from organized yet, and some of the latest registerees, have yet to check in, and what not, so yeah... We got a ways to go yet...
By Sledge
AJ Quick wrote:Just an update.

• Have a Franchise Name Ready.
  • Have a good two paragraph bit of info written about your franchise.
  • Have a Square Sized Logo Ready in JPG Form
  • Have a website.. or perhaps a 3rd party place to link to?
  • Have all members signed up on GBFans.
  • Have all members profile's up to date with location, age, and a profile picture.
  • Have Props Uploaded if Real Franchise.
  • Have Fan Fiction Uploaded if Fictional.
Hows this coming along?? and just how important is it to have all members create an account here? most of them are spouses and significant others.
By RickH
Question for AJ and Dan,

What if there are two seperate groups in one city (each having their own members), however one is Fan Fiction-based and the other is "Real". Are they allowed to use the same name (eg. Sydney Ghostbusters), or is there no distinction between whether a group is fiction or real?
By Sledge
thats a tough one. but as long as both are good with it why not merge. then you are the same thing, one does the events and the other can use the events to come up with story line. making the best of the situation.
By Foom Man
I'm very interested in how this will come together on GB Fans. It's certainly becoming a must nowadays.

No rush, AJ.
By Sledge
FunkPunkTwang wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:The best part of the 501st is how they don't think they're nerds.
that and they shit on everyone who's not them.
you know I am trying to stay out of the he said she said stuff with the 501st but it seams that some here just do not like to let go! yes I am a member of the 501st I have been and will be for as long as I can. when blanket comments are made it starts to wear thin. as bad as some here paint the 501st I have yet to see them just bashing other groups within the group forums. i have had issues with members within the 501st as well as here. the biggest issue i have found is that people here just don't know how to let things go. now really please stop whining on how you were treated so bad by a 501st member and get over it already! i have not heard this much crying on one subject in my life.
By RickH
Dunno about the 501st in the USA, but the guys from the Southern Cross Garrison are a great bunch of people. I met them at an Air Force christmas fair, they all seemed like just normal guys. We're hoping to do some combined 501/Oz Ghostbusters gigs in the future.
By Dan Shannon
Sledge wrote:
FunkPunkTwang wrote:that and they shit on everyone who's not them.
you know I am trying to stay out of the he said she said stuff with the 501st but it seams that some here just do not like to let go! yes I am a member of the 501st I have been and will be for as long as I can. when blanket comments are made it starts to wear thin. as bad as some here paint the 501st I have yet to see them just bashing other groups within the group forums. i have had issues with members within the 501st as well as here. the biggest issue i have found is that people here just don't know how to let things go. now really please stop whining on how you were treated so bad by a 501st member and get over it already! i have not heard this much crying on one subject in my life.
Sledge, face the music dude: they are a bunch of stuck up people. I've been run off from the Ghostbusters franchise, and I have to say I've never been treated as bad as the 501st did to me and a lot of others. They're anal, and that's their most redeeming quality. lol
By Sledge
Dan Shannon wrote: Sledge, face the music dude: they are a bunch of stuck up people. I've been run off from the Ghostbusters franchise, and I have to say I've never been treated as bad as the 501st did to me and a lot of others. They're anal, and that's their most redeeming quality. lol
the music is singing a different tune from my stand point. as all I hear is people bashing on a regular basis.
By FunkPunkTwang
Sledge wrote: you know I am trying to stay out of the he said she said stuff with the 501st but it seams that some here just do not like to let go! yes I am a member of the 501st I have been and will be for as long as I can. when blanket comments are made it starts to wear thin. as bad as some here paint the 501st I have yet to see them just bashing other groups within the group forums. i have had issues with members within the 501st as well as here. the biggest issue i have found is that people here just don't know how to let things go. now really please stop whining on how you were treated so bad by a 501st member and get over it already! i have not heard this much crying on one subject in my life.
Hey I hear ya guy and I'm glad to see you have had a great time being one. Sadly the few times I've had a chance to meet them they were very unkind to me especially when when I asked them about prop building. And your right. there is a lot of whining and crying between other teams within the GB community, but everyone I've ever met who's donned the gear has always been extremely nice and informative about propping and "how to"

And Sledge, one piece of advice that helps me be on the internet and not want to cry everyday...

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and no one wants to hear it."
-Jonathan St. Pierre
By The Kreator
As a newer member to the GBFans forum, it's disheartening to see a lot of 501st hate. Maybe it's just that my Garrison (Cloud City) is unique, but just about every active member really enjoys costuming in general, not just Star Wars. Many of our members are into several different groups, and we work together sharing events. Just this past weekend, we held a huge Toys for Tots event which included 501st, Rebel Legion, our small Batman group, and several others. A while back at our charity fund raiser at the bowling alley, we had super heroes and even a Ghostbuster together with our Garrison. I think it all comes down to the people -- of course there's going to be jerks in life, no matter what the hobby. But I hope being a 501st member is not going to paint me as a bad guy immediately upon joining GBFans. I love Ghostbusters (and Batman, and Freddy and Jason, and costumes in general) and bottom line - it comes down to the charity work. Seeing how happy it makes kids to meet their heroes in person, that makes all the time, effort and money we put into this hobby worth it.
By dr_logan
I agree, anywhere you go there will always be people that take things way too seriously... I used to do Star Trek RPGs on forums, but I quit after some people seemed to feed too much off the drama...

It's unfortunate, because any fan group gets painted as "fanatical" because of these select few... Because making these fan groups, an getting together to do something fun, is one of the highlights of fandom...

If people could realize that this is all supposed to be for fun, and not to prove one's own ego, then it would be better...

However... wherever you go... "there's people who just as soon step on your face as look at you." :blush:

But those of us that just want to have fun in good spirits should just keep on keeping on... no sense letting all the pink slime ruin the party.
By Dewka
FunkPunkTwang wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:The best part of the 501st is how they don't think they're nerds.
that and they shit on everyone who's not them.
ok,i was going to stay out of this but here I jump in.

I am part of the Legion that you so love to seem to bash here so now I have to ask myself, do I want to be part of this group? Seems a lot of bashing going on here to me. Is it perfect? No. What is? I havent found it yet and Ive been around for several decades looking for that perfect little slice.

I have been active in my Garrison for a year and a half, a year and a half of having fun and making a LOT of freinds.
Never ONCE have I experienced what you are tallking about here. NOT ONCE. And I have helped a lot of other costumers make repairs on thier costumes at events, and those costumes had nothing to do with the plastic I was wearing.

So to have you blatently throw up in my face that I as a Legion member am somehow putting down another costumer ( and I do othet stuff besides SW by the way) I take great offense to that. I am a COSTUMER first and Legoin member second. When I pull my on board repair kit out of my backplate and fix your issue on the spot, that isnt "shitting" on anyone.

Sounds like you guys have been running into some of the Legions more disgruntled members. Guess what? its in ALL clubs, even clubs much much older than costume clubs. I know the type, and he is that way whether he is dressed in plastic or streetclothes.
By AJ Quick
Yes. Most of you guys are no better than the 501st members you are bashing.

We have all seen or heard examples of how the 501st has pushed other groups aside and not allowed them to participate. (Some examples of Ghostbusters showing up at a Childrens Hospital for a charity event and then being told to leave by the 501st, because they owned the event.. comes to mind).

However, do you guys really want to be exactly like them (or the way you perceive them)?

I hope the answer is no.

Start by stopping the hate. If you have a legitimate reason to hate someone.. hate that person. Not the club they affiliate with. Its an old saying.

Hate the Player not the Gang.
By Ron Daniels
What I find extremely amusing here, is people presenting that they have had bad encounters with 501st members, but quite clearly indicating that the 501st members in this thread seem to be alright.

Yet 501st members come in here and say "Every club has bad apples and I'm not one blah blah" We get that point. That's the point being made by other posters if you were looking closely.

Jesus, you people are getting a bit over sensitive about this whole thing.

If you people get this upset because a few people in your organization wind up giving the whole thing a bad reputation around some parts, I'd hate to see what you do when someone brings up politics.

(btw, if you all didn't look the same - you might not all get called out. :P)

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]