Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Kingpin
Razorgeist wrote:Good lord Ive always love Dan's artwork but I had no idea he could approximate the RGB animation style so well! Cant wait to pick this up.
I had to look a little closer at the backgrounds just to make sure they weren't directly lifted from the show. He's excelled himself this time, and that's saying something.
Peter Venkman Jr. liked this
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:I had to look a little closer at the backgrounds just to make sure they weren't directly lifted from the show. He's excelled himself this time, and that's saying something.
Well, there are some that are so far like
This Post Contains Spoilers
Dan Schoening confirmed the Convention Cover is for the upcoming San Diego Comic Con. So if you're not going, start pinching pennies.
By philmorgan81
Natasha is visually based on Madame Lafarge from Drool the Dog Faced Goblin. Madame Lafarge was blond and this lady has darker hair, but I believe that is where they took her design.
By mrmichaelt
No, just visually inspired by some characters from the show. They're original characters.
philmorgan81 wrote:Natasha is visually based on Madame Lafarge from Drool the Dog Faced Goblin. Madame Lafarge was blond and this lady has darker hair, but I believe that is where they took her design.
My theory is Natasha is a combination of Madame LaFarge from "Drool, the Dog-Faced Goblin" and the human form of Marcia from "The Devil To Pay."
By mrmichaelt
Roger Rabbit wrote:I see, the first few pages made it seem like they were referencing an event from the show. I guess what they talked about will be elaborated on later in the comic.
It's basically new content that takes place before the 8:40 mark of "Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster" up to the 11:41 mark when the Ghostbusters are zapped then the story rolls on from there. Or you mean the Natasha and Claudia thing?
By groschopf
For those of you that can't make it to a comic shop tomorrow and have iTunes, you can download and read the comic as of right now using iBooks.

It's fun.
Oh man, it's fun.
By mrmichaelt
And ironically, the September solicits were just released.

Issue #4. September 16.
"And All Is..." Proteus appears to reclaim his property and this time even eight 'Busters may not be enough to keep the elder god from getting his way! Join us for the bombastic conclusion to GET REAL!
I'm going to guess those hell hounds in Issue #3 trash the Interspatial Teleportation Unit from the TMNT crossover during the skirmish stranding the RGB. And in Issue #4 Proteus shows up. And while before I noted we know the ending, I can see Issue #4 ending with the two teams losing but the last two pages or so sync up with the end of "Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster" and is instead from the RGB's POV as they watch Janine and Slimer fight Proteus and merges shots lifted from the ending of the episode and maybe one page with the IDWverse GBs like at the end of TMNT/GB.
By robbritton
So good to be able to buy more of Erik and Dan's GB stuff! Love the beautifully timed, "Well, huh" and the nuances of the differences between the two versions as well as the similarities. Wonderful stuff yet again!

Will be interesting to see if a similar plot is used in the future to bring the original team together with the 2016 movie team. It feels like IDW is the beautiful little corner of this franchise where all can co-exist and feel absolutely right.
By BigTime72
This book is just perfect in its goal of invoking nostalgia. It's so wonderful to see the RGB in action again.
By philmorgan81
Kingpin wrote:
robbritton wrote:Will be interesting to see if a similar plot is used in the future to bring the original team together with the 2016 movie teamt.
I wouldn't bet money on it.

Yeah if there plan is to keep the continuity separate, it should probably stay that way. :):):) I hope the new movie sparks enough interest in the comic to keep that incredible team at IDW together so they can consider bringing us better Ghostbusters stories than Hollywood could dream up. Seriously these guys have done a terrific job keeping the original story and characters moving forward while at the same time keeping the spirit alive. I know I am not saying anything that hasn't been said a million times already, but I just can't praise these guys enough. :):):)
By Razorgeist
That was something i was thinking as well. Even if you dont like the sound of this new movie. It should drum up enough support for a volume 3 of the comic. And if "Get Real" does well perhaps an RGB ongoing!
By mrmichaelt
^^^But then IDW would have to clone Erik, Dan, and Luis... hmm... but technically wouldn't have to pay the clones!

After Get Real, I hope they're done with crossovers and dealing with a big ugly from another dimension. Call me crazy, but I want the mini series with just the 4 guys, Janine and a small self-contained story? Sure, I got no problem with Kylie, Melanie who's MIA since Issue #18, or the Chicago GB appearing but I miss the small scale stories. My 2 cents.

But speaking of Erik, he posted a teaser of Issue #2. A very familiar face from Brooklyn Heights.
philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
mrmichaelt wrote:^^^But then IDW would have to clone Erik, Dan, and Luis... hmm... but technically wouldn't have to pay the clones!

After Get Real, I hope they're done with crossovers and dealing with a big ugly from another dimension. Call me crazy, but I want the mini series with just the 4 guys, Janine and a small self-contained story? Sure, I got no problem with Kylie, Melanie who's MIA since Issue #18, or the Chicago GB appearing but I miss the small scale stories. My 2 cents.

But speaking of Erik, he posted a teaser of Issue #2. A very familiar face from Brooklyn Heights.

Oh I am with you there. If a volume 3 happens I will welcome the smaller scale self contained stories. I have enjoyed these big crossover events though. I am really hoping for volume 3. :):):)
By Fritz
philmorgan81 wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:^^^But then IDW would have to clone Erik, Dan, and Luis... hmm... but technically wouldn't have to pay the clones!

Oh I am with you there. If a volume 3 happens I will welcome the smaller scale self contained stories. I have enjoyed these big crossover events though. I am really hoping for volume 3. :):):)
I remember Mr. Burnham saying somewhere (probably the IDW board) back during "Mass Hysteria" he was planning to do something that sounds like what mrmichaelt describes. It obviously got sidetracked by the series cancellation and the crossover miniseries, but yeah, I hope he gets an opportunity to tell the story he'd been brewing up.
By mrmichaelt
Dan posted a Issue #2 teaser - Kylie.
Fritz wrote: I remember Mr. Burnham saying somewhere (probably the IDW board) back during "Mass Hysteria" he was planning to do something that sounds like what mrmichaelt describes. It obviously got sidetracked by the series cancellation and the crossover miniseries, but yeah, I hope he gets an opportunity to tell the story he'd been brewing up.
Correct, your memory does not betray you. Back in January 2014 at the IDW boards. In the past, he's talked about a lot of ideas like a new version of the Sandman. And there's all those pitches Tristan has revealed so far.
This first issue was AWESOME! loved it. Eric, Dan and Luis are perfect for this job. Dan draws the Real Ghostbusters to a tee! I hope next months issue is just as fantastic!
Just got my copy of issue #1 today in the mail, and boy was it a great read. Dapper Dan really did an amazing job of recreating the Real Ghostbusters characters in this story. Also I loved seeing the two teams interact with each other. Cannot wait until Issue #2 arrives.
By groschopf
Wow. They've checking off all of the boxes with the Sanctum of Slime cameo.

If they're going to the Bronx Zoo for this next issue, I really hope they capitalize on possibility of a visual gag at the expense of another alternate Ghostbusters universe and a certain primate I've never cared for...
Kingpin liked this
By philmorgan81
Wow that would really bring all elements involving the name Ghostbusters full circle. That would be fun. They already had a slight reference to FIlmation's Ghostbusters in Volume 1 with Ron Testing his blaster on the crash test dummy. The logo on the Dummy kind of looked like theirs. There was a much clearer reference in Volume 2 when Janine and Roger were channel surfing and stumbled on a show called Spencer Vs the Crystal Ghoul (I am sure I messed up that title). They show a version of Tracy chasing a ghost that looks like Bratarat. I do look forward to the next 3 issues though. I am really excited to see what will transpire. :):):)
By mrmichaelt
philmorgan81 wrote:Wow that would really bring all elements involving the name Ghostbusters full circle.
Speaking of full circle, Get Real #2 has some parallels that brings Erik's run full circle so to speak from when he started on Ghostbusters: Infestation - a Ghostbusters miniseries involving an interdimensional crossover, Poltergeists and an angry god.
By philmorgan81
That is Totally true. This whole awesome series started out with a huge crossover event and I thought this event was going to be a pretty fitting end. Now that it has been announced that volume 3 has been given the Green Light. I have absolutely no idea what is in store but I see many possiblilties with Erik, Dan, Luis and the rest of the awesome people at IDW piloting the ship. All I know is that it is going to be so many levels of amazing. :):):)

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]