Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
It's funny, and maybe it's because I'm English, but I always visualised the phrase "fashionable dance club" as some kind of society posh dance hall thing, for debutantes and such. It's so obvious now that it was DJ speak for a nightclub that I feel quite silly!

Ah well, it's all worth it for such a good time issue. I like how Venkman is much closer to his GB1 persona than we've seen him since - evasive, uncooperative and with a permanent roving eye. Speaks to Erik's strengths that the IDW Venkman I'm used to is much more post GB2 in his relationships with others. Or maybe I'm imagining it. Following the dance club revelation, I don't trust myself at all!
Hey, if anyone is equipped to deal with unforeseen delays, it's IDW.

---

Joking aside though, I have worried about it myself.
mrmichaelt liked this
Much like the big two, as well as the other mini-majors, they, too, will get through this crisis; things will come back to normal depending on how the virus will die down in the coming days or months but the comic book industry as a whole will undergo a paradigm shift when this is all over.
mrmichaelt liked this
*NormalGamer* wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:59 amMuch like the big two, as well as the other mini-majors, they, too, will get through this crisis; things will come back to normal depending on how the virus will die down in the coming days or months but the comic book industry as a whole will undergo a paradigm shift when this is all over.
From what I've heard IDW is in really rough shape financially, more so than marvel and dc. But time will tell.
By greg
I really like the IDW series : full of easter eggs regarding all aspects of the saga, even merchandising, showing a true love of the original material as well as a high level of documentation.
Not to mention the references to the careers and personnal lives of the actors.
So if it gets delayed..So what? :)
As long as it does not get cancelled, all fine
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
greg wrote:I really like the IDW series : full of easter eggs regarding all aspects of the saga, even merchandising, showing a true love of the original material as well as a high level of documentation.
Not to mention the references to the careers and personnal lives of the actors.
So if it gets delayed..So what? :)
As long as it does not get cancelled, all fine

This series is great. The major thing that I am looking forward to in the aftermath of Ghostbusters Afterlife is if the film is a big enough hit to keep the comic book series going. That would be awesome. That way we could continue to have that talented team keep bringing us more stories with the original Ghostbusters and how and if they will work in elements that will forshadow the event of Afterlife. I am not sure if the IDW team are under any new constraints. I am enjoying the Year One Issues and I am not only looking forward to more of the ongoing series, but any potential crossovers that may come up again. I know that many here are sick of crossovers, but the IDW team have made team ups work that I didn't think possible. At this point I am convinced they can make anything work. :):):)
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
By greg
Well, i am not convinced this would be a good idea.
IDW series follows a parallel world, where our guys have a successfull business and are paid by the city, even having Peck as a boss.
Afterlife seems to imply that things went horribly wrong and that egon’ s character was forced to exile himself and died alone and forgotten.
Not sure this is the kind of things i would like to see. Plus the comic reflects the spirit of the original movies: it’ s a team of wonderful and somehow optimistic losers & friends. Such a tone is a bit of a missmatch with afterlife.
greg wrote: April 5th, 2020, 4:05 am Well, i am not convinced this would be a good idea.
IDW series follows a parallel world, where our guys have a successfull business and are paid by the city, even having Peck as a boss.
Afterlife seems to imply that things went horribly wrong and that egon’ s character was forced to exile himself and died alone and forgotten.
Not sure this is the kind of things i would like to see. Plus the comic reflects the spirit of the original movies: it’ s a team of wonderful and somehow optimistic losers & friends. Such a tone is a bit of a missmatch with afterlife.
Well were not entirely sure what the tone of Afterlife is going to be. I know that is what we got from the trailer, but the trailer may not reflect the entire film. I get what you are saying though. When I was saying I was curious if they would forshadow the events of Afterlife, I was thinking more like they would work it in as an easter egg like they have done with so many other connections. Like a throw away line where Egon reveals he has been looking into some land in Oklahoma. Stuff like that. I don't want the tone of the comic to change. No I want the world of the comic to stay frozen in time in the world of the original films and 2009 Video Game. I love everything that the IDW team has built up from there.

Until Afterlife comes out we have no idea just how the story may conflict with comic events. Its just like all the Star Wars stuff that is no longer Canon is now referred to as Star Wars legends. In the end it really doesn't matter if its canon with each other, but that you enjoy the films and enjoy the comics. ;)

Hey I know that this a really stupid thought, but since Afterlife has been postponed till 2021. Does that mean that the story takes place in 2021? Or does the story still take place in 2020? I mean the film is still in post and not quite completed yet right? Hey if it now takes place in 2021 it now makes it a bit easier te accept The Video Game as canon. Just a silly thought. :):):)
I think Tom Waltz at least has read an Afterlife draft, so they have a guess you could say a head start into figuring out how to incorporate it into the IDW canon. It will probably be cherry picking elements like The Video Game but I don't really see how they can do anything major unless they get to a comic adaptation like NOW did with GBII or a flash forward issue like IDW 20/20. I still can only see them immediately incorporating the gunner seat but since y'know, we don't really know squat about the finer details of Afterlife, there might be more things they can mine for the "present" era in the IDW canon. Then again, they've seen their future selves twice already, in the Past Present Future one shot and in #16 of Volume 2 - could always do a time warp story.

But I am curious that now that Afterlife is delayed to March 2021, where does that leave the comic once Year One concludes. They could stay in the past. They could clearly continue with Year One, or skip to Year Seven have them being interviewed in 1990 about the events of GBII or Year Eight/Year Nine in 1991/92 about the events of the IDW version of TVG. They've talked about doing adaptations of the three in the past as well.
OR
Would the next arc return to the present, post TF/GB, and do another arc or gulp another crossover - they're clear on wanting to do another TMNT/GB and TF/GB mini but that would take more time to get approval since it's more people involved in character rights that have to say yes.
OR
God forbid, the comics will go on a hiatus this year after Year One #4.
Finally got a chance to read my copy of Ghostbusters: Year One #3 yesterday. It was everything I had hoped it would be. I especially liked how Dapper Dan included Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice (one of my favorite tv shows) as extras at the Rose nightclub. Peter Venkman's interactions with Rebecca Morales were really hilarious, I liked how he kept deflecting her questions during their interview.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:17 pm I think Tom Waltz at least has read an Afterlife draft, so they have a guess you could say a head start into figuring out how to incorporate it into the IDW canon. It will probably be cherry picking elements like The Video Game but I don't really see how they can do anything major unless they get to a comic adaptation like NOW did with GBII or a flash forward issue like IDW 20/20. I still can only see them immediately incorporating the gunner seat but since y'know, we don't really know squat about the finer details of Afterlife, there might be more things they can mine for the "present" era in the IDW canon. Then again, they've seen their future selves twice already, in the Past Present Future one shot and in #16 of Volume 2 - could always do a time warp story.

But I am curious that now that Afterlife is delayed to March 2021, where does that leave the comic once Year One concludes. They could stay in the past. They could clearly continue with Year One, or skip to Year Seven have them being interviewed in 1990 about the events of GBII or Year Eight/Year Nine in 1991/92 about the events of the IDW version of TVG. They've talked about doing adaptations of the three in the past as well.
OR
Would the next arc return to the present, post TF/GB, and do another arc or gulp another crossover - they're clear on wanting to do another TMNT/GB and TF/GB mini but that would take more time to get approval since it's more people involved in character rights that have to say yes.
OR
God forbid, the comics will go on a hiatus this year after Year One #4.
As much as I don’t want it to, I’d imagine the smart money is on the latter. IDW has got to be scaling back to survive, like every other non-essential business. If they make it it’ll be through a few lean months of big sellers online only, and even then I’m not sure that’ll generate enough revenue.

Can you even buy digital copies direct from comic companies, or are they all through third party only? I want to support them at least as far as my budget will allow while stores are closed. Is comixology the best bet? Comics may be far from a priority at the moment, but it’s nice to have something frivolous to take your mind off stuff, right?
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 am As much as I don’t want it to, I’d imagine the smart money is on the latter. IDW has got to be scaling back to survive, like every other non-essential business. If they make it it’ll be through a few lean months of big sellers online only, and even then I’m not sure that’ll generate enough revenue.
Yeah, some scaling back. I noticed IDW announced the TMNT ongoing is going on hiatus soon, yet work continues on minis like Last Ronin and their next annual. I think the most realistic scenario is the Ghostbusters comics go on hiatus anyway naturally, not even factoring in covid's impact, but work behind the scenes continues and they aim for the next mini series to start up around October or November to sync with the new theater date for Afterlife in March. Reading between the lines, the constant delays for Year One #4 could correlate with that, I'll get to that in the other paragraph. But I think the future of the comics are OK.

The funny thing is they had a 9 issue streak going to two years now. 9 comics in 2018, 9 in 2019, and they probably planned the same this year. But then again, there's been a pattern of a year of contraction, two years of expansion, etc. If there's no new comics after YO #4, it will be the smallest output since 2015 but the next year surged to 11 releases because of the third ongoing series. After TMNT/GB 2 ended in November 2017, there was a 4 month break until annual 3 and Crossing Over in March 2018, a 5 month break between November and March then 35th Anniv. started in April 2019 then a 2 month break before Transformers, then a break between October and December before Year One started in January 2020. So with #4 being delayed three times and now positioned in late May. A natural 4-5 month break would occur like most of the past breaks, and a new series could start in October or November in theory then finish in February or early March right before Afterlife comes out.
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 am Can you even buy digital copies direct from comic companies, or are they all through third party only? I want to support them at least as far as my budget will allow while stores are closed. Is comixology the best bet? Comics may be far from a priority at the moment, but it’s nice to have something frivolous to take your mind off stuff, right?
It depends, do you just buy IDW or do you buy from all companies? If the former, you can check into the IDW app. I think they do foreign transactions. But if you read different comics from different companies, seems like it's more efficient to go with comixology. That what I use and never had any issues. I'm sure there's pro-con articles out there in the Internet for you to peruse.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:02 am
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 am As much as I don’t want it to, I’d imagine the smart money is on the latter. IDW has got to be scaling back to survive, like every other non-essential business. If they make it it’ll be through a few lean months of big sellers online only, and even then I’m not sure that’ll generate enough revenue.
Yeah, some scaling back. I noticed IDW announced the TMNT ongoing is going on hiatus soon, yet work continues on minis like Last Ronin and their next annual. I think the most realistic scenario is the Ghostbusters comics go on hiatus anyway naturally, not even factoring in covid's impact, but work behind the scenes continues and they aim for the next mini series to start up around October or November to sync with the new theater date for Afterlife in March. Reading between the lines, the constant delays for Year One #4 could correlate with that, I'll get to that in the other paragraph. But I think the future of the comics are OK.

The funny thing is they had a 9 issue streak going to two years now. 9 comics in 2018, 9 in 2019, and they probably planned the same this year. But then again, there's been a pattern of a year of contraction, two years of expansion, etc. If there's no new comics after YO #4, it will be the smallest output since 2015 but the next year surged to 11 releases because of the third ongoing series. After TMNT/GB 2 ended in November 2017, there was a 4 month break until annual 3 and Crossing Over in March 2018, a 5 month break between November and March then 35th Anniv. started in April 2019 then a 2 month break before Transformers, then a break between October and December before Year One started in January 2020. So with #4 being delayed three times and now positioned in late May. A natural 4-5 month break would occur like most of the past breaks, and a new series could start in October or November in theory then finish in February or early March right before Afterlife comes out.
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 am Can you even buy digital copies direct from comic companies, or are they all through third party only? I want to support them at least as far as my budget will allow while stores are closed. Is comixology the best bet? Comics may be far from a priority at the moment, but it’s nice to have something frivolous to take your mind off stuff, right?
It depends, do you just buy IDW or do you buy from all companies? If the former, you can check into the IDW app. I think they do foreign transactions. But if you read different comics from different companies, seems like it's more efficient to go with comixology. That what I use and never had any issues. I'm sure there's pro-con articles out there in the Internet for you to peruse.
Just IDW here, so the app might be for me, but that's all good food for thought. Thanks man!
mrmichaelt liked this
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 amCan you even buy digital copies direct from comic companies, or are they all through third party only?
With Diamond shutting down due to the crisis, it would be a better thing if comic book publishers (both major and indie) at least provide an output of selling weekly/monthly comics on their own webpages, whether digital or physical, as an extra option for customers; no use relying on the business model as it is now and it needs an overhaul.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
*NormalGamer* wrote: April 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
robbritton wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:41 amCan you even buy digital copies direct from comic companies, or are they all through third party only?
With Diamond shutting down due to the crisis, it would be a better thing if comic book publishers (both major and indie) at least provide an output of selling weekly/monthly comics on their own webpages, whether digital or physical, as an extra option for customers; no use relying on the business model as it is now and it needs an overhaul.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't IDW provide digital comic at release?
mrmichaelt wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:22 am1. Page 1: Janine's interview on Tenth Avenue and ?
I believe, 10th Avenue and W. 22nd Street, in the outside dining area of the Empire Diner (The park behind her in panel #7 is Clement Clarke Moore Park, and panel #8 is looking south-west, with a snippet of the Éclat Salon & Boutique's awning creeping into view.
2. Page 2: Dana's outfit is based on?
Lauren Slaughter from Half Moon Street:

Page 13:
Black man with moustache and big hair: John Oates, from the cover of "I can't go for that (No can do)" (minus the logo on his shirt):

The white guy in front of him is very likely Daryl Hall.

Page 16:
The ghost also appears to be wearing some Alain Mikli, or knock-off Mikli sunglasses.

Page 17:
Definitely Warhol, Tina Turner (possibly from "It's Only Love") and Duckie.
Also Pat Benatar (from "Invincible") - behind the lady with the red frilly dress.

The guy in front of Ray's dressed like Jellybean, but he didn't have a beard in the 80s.

Dan and Co. really pulled out the stops in slotting in so many '80s cameos during this issue.
mrmichaelt liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 17th, 2020, 5:18 pm I believe, 10th Avenue and W. 22nd Street, in the outside dining area of the Empire Diner (The park behind her in panel #7 is Clement Clarke Moore Park, and panel #8 is looking south-west, with a snippet of the Éclat Salon & Boutique's awning creeping into view.

Lauren Slaughter from Half Moon Street

Thanks, Kingpin!

Yeah, I i.d.'ed those 80s cameos, too. Those were the 'easy ones' heh heh...groan. There's a few others, like I'm pretty sure one doing the can can with Ray in one panel is Madonna from her Vision Quest cameo. It's really gonna take someone obsessed with 80s pop culture to figure all those cameos out.
Kingpin liked this

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]