Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
SSJmole wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am Questions I would have

Is this year 1 a reboot of the old ones like their version of New 52?
I don't really think so. I don't remember IDW saying they're rebooting anything for the IDW continuity. The GB Year One Mini is just recalling stories taking place in 1984 during the events of the original film which would add and flesh out to the lore.
SSJmole, mrmichaelt liked this
By philmorgan81
SSJmole wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
robbritton wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:08 pm

I don’t think they’ve addressed Afterlife anywhere yet. I’d imagine (or hope) they’d carry on with their continuity and have it meet Afterlife down the line via dimensional trickery or somesuch.

Or there’ll be a new comic line that picks up after Afterlife. Then the original comics run can remain it’s own thing and the new can follow on from the new movie.
Ah cool. I wasn't sure if it be like marvel 2099 whenever it met the 616 at time was time travel , now I think it was alternate dimension due to the fact that the future doesn't line up with what happened since 2099 was created.

Even with Afterlife coming out I don’t think they will be doing any retcon for the IDW Comic Universe. I also don’t think they will actually have to have the Prime team team up with the Afterlife team since there is still a strong possibility that the remaining originals as well the potential of Egon’s Spirit being a decent focus in this new movie. ;)

In fact I am getting the feeling that even if this movie is not as big a hit as the original was in it’s day, I am pretty confident that it will be good enough to keep interest in the franchise so IDW can continue telling great stories that include our original boys in grey. I am also very confident that Erik can take what happens in Afterlife and embrace it and make certain things work within the context of the comic. Like I said if we don’t see the Gunner Seat utilized in a future story in the comics I will be very surprised. ;):):)

Of course that could depend on weather Ghost Corps puts any limitations on them in the future. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on December 23rd, 2019, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By SSJmole
*NormalGamer* wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:14 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am Questions I would have

Is this year 1 a reboot of the old ones like their version of New 52?
I don't really think so. I don't remember IDW saying they're rebooting anything for the IDW continuity. The GB Year One Mini is just recalling stories taking place in 1984 during the events of the original film which would add and flesh out to the lore.
Ah cool thank you
By Kingpin
robbritton wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:08 pmI don’t think they’ve addressed Afterlife anywhere yet. I’d imagine (or hope) they’d carry on with their continuity and have it meet Afterlife down the line via dimensional trickery or somesuch.
I expect the first acknowledgement will be handled in the same way that the comic first acknowledged Answer The Call, a sneaky cameo by some pedestrians styled to look like the main characters from the new movie.
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 12:51 am I expect the first acknowledgement will be handled in the same way that the comic first acknowledged Answer The Call, a sneaky cameo by some pedestrians styled to look like the main characters from the new movie.
Dan already slipped in his 1st nod in the 35th Anniversary Ghostbusters comic. So sometimes, he puts important years on the labels of the drawers behind Janine like the years of the movies - 1984, 1989 etc. In the 35th Anniv. issue, he slipped in a 2020. Off the top of my head, I don't think he slipped in any nods in the Transformers/GB mini (y'know, because he was throwing in tons of Transformers references).

The first ATC nod was actually in the 2015 annual with Kevin's motorcycle if I remember right or International #2 when one of Melissa McCarthy's instagram photos from bts of the movie is in a frame in the cafe where Ray and Jenny eat. But yes, in terms of characters in non-canon cameos in the prime universe - International #3 was first with them as applicants for the job that Kevin Tanaka ultimately got.
By SSJmole
What is the 35th Anniversary Ghostbusters comic? I've seen it and saw it collected a few stories but are they new stories for the comic or is it best of collection , example I bought the batman Vs superman one around time of the movie and that was all parts of comics or stories I already owned not new but the marvel "annuals" they do are new
By mrmichaelt
SSJmole wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 4:18 am What is the 35th Anniversary Ghostbusters comic? I've seen it and saw it collected a few stories but are they new stories for the comic or is it best of collection , example I bought the batman Vs superman one around time of the movie and that was all parts of comics or stories I already owned not new but the marvel "annuals" they do are new
New stories. Basically a mini-series of one-shot stories. Each one is set in a different dimensions in the comic's multiverse to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters this year.

The first issue is the main IDW canon aka the prime universe aka the movie Ghostbusters comics Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening, Luis Delgado, and Tom Waltz have been doing the past 8 years. It's centered around an artifact from Atlantis.

Second issue is a story set in Dimension 68-R, aka The Real Ghostbusters. They deal with a rival company.

Third issue is a story set in Dimension 80-C aka Answer The Call Ghostbusters. They deal with saving a half-human half-demon girl from her demon father.

Fourth issue is a story set in Dimension 68-E aka Extreme Ghostbusters. They deal with the ghost of an eco-terrorist.

(Yes, in this IDW multiverse, they establish the two animated series are different dimensions/continuities but it's also been confirmed the RGB dimension will have its own version of the EGB and of course, the EGB dimension had it's own version of the RGB)
By mrmichaelt
SSJmole wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 4:41 am Ah cool sounds like the Edge of Spider-Verse to I have (loved that it gave us Spider-gwen!) I will definitely check that out thank you
No prob. I had to looks that up but basically yes. They go into it in the Ghostbusters 101 mini-series, when they crossed the streams into the Temple of Gozer, they seeded the multiverse. Egon put it as, "It took us right up to the line of a complete subatomic destruction. And by way of Gozer's portal, for a split second, we were connected to every reality at once. Every thought we ever had, the very core of our beings... that's how they were seeded into the subconscious of the Multiverse. Our concepts, our methods... In theory, anyway. But so far, observation has only lent the idea credibility."
SSJmole, robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 14th, 2018, 11:46 pm .

Regarding the 'cameo' of
This Post Contains Spoilers
As mentioned in the Cleanin’ Up The Town thread, I’m reasonably sure it relates to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moviesinthemak ... murray_on/
mrmichaelt liked this
robbritton wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm As mentioned in the Cleanin’ Up The Town thread, I’m reasonably sure it relates to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moviesinthemak ... murray_on/
Intriguing. Possibly. Will look into it. Thanks for the tip. EDIT: Yep, the outfit is from the set visit but the finger pointing pose is from his Yes, it's my real name T-shirt photos.
robbritton liked this
I am really excited for this new story. I am very curious to see what happens during Winston's first time catching a ghost. Also I will defiantly be keeping my eyes peeled come March for the variant cover that references Batman #251. At the first comic book convention I attended, legendary DC illustrator Neal Adams was a guest and I got a signed print of his cover art for Batman #251.
mrmichaelt liked this
I am very excited for the first issue to arrive, the previews have really stuck a cord with me. Nice to see Dana and Louis appear again as well. A little detail I noticed in the image provided by groschopf was the black belt under the polaroid photo of Winston. Its a nice call back to the shooting script for Ghostbusters(if I remember right), where it was mentioned he had a Black Belt in Karate.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
Peter Venkman Jr. wrote: January 15th, 2020, 8:44 pm I am very excited for the first issue to arrive, the previews have really stuck a cord with me. Nice to see Dana and Louis appear again as well. A little detail I noticed in the image provided by groschopf was the black belt under the polaroid photo of Winston. Its a nice call back to the shooting script for Ghostbusters(if I remember right), where it was mentioned he had a Black Belt in Karate.
Yup, the shooting script and the Supernatural Spectacular book , page 136, mentioned the black belt in Karate. Also interesting enough, the August 5, 1983 draft of the movie had it as a 15th Degree Black Belt in Wing Chun Boxing previously. I think I filled nearly a page just listing out all the easter eggs on that cover. Dan really went nuts with references.

Also, Louis on that first page. There's definitely a Rick Moranis easter egg there (confirmed it in private with Dan). Quite amusing as it's somewhat related to the theater release date of GB1.

EDIT: FYI, due to unforeseen circumstances, Spook Central's Year One #1 preview will be late. Likely Monday.
robbritton liked this
IDW sent their usual notification email that preview pages were ready on Thursday night but the folders where they are uploaded to have been deleted so there are no previews for all the comics coming out on the 22nd. Not just GB. IDW has been notified. I emailed Tom. And Monday is a holiday so the delay could go even further to Tuesday.
Erik Burnham was interviewed on the Ghostbusters Interdimensional Crossrip Podcast and he revealed some things for Year One #2 to 4.
http://www.ghostbustershq.net/the-ghost ... ry-20-2020

"Or um, a scene where--where Egon and Ray were introduced in college."
11:27 -11:32

"We did--did get away to, ah, working him into the second issue. We had him, um, we set the second issue, is ah Ray focused and going back to the library after the Librarian so we set that after Winston was hired."
14:28-14:39

"And Dan is, gosh, I think days away from finishing Issue #3."
11:38 -11:43

"Um, the third issue was set just before he [Winston] was hired so he's a little...a little bit less in that. The preview---the solicit is out now I should say, not the preview, and that's y'know at the--the Casey Kasem bit, the fashionable nightclub the Rose."
14:41-15:00

"The, uh, the third issue of Year One with the Rose. I said, "Okay, so we're in a nightclub which means there's a lot of dark and there's a lot of smoke so you won't have to worry about"--he [Dan] drew the club anyway then put the dark and smoke over it."
17:49-18:01

"The fourth issue is Egon and, um and uh yeah no, on this one I wanted to show their first experience using the Containment Unit. It's untested, uh, y'know, until they put something in it. They don't know it needs to be calibrated or it's 100% working and things go wrong so it gives us...that gives us a bit of Egon vs. Slimer."
15:28-15:57
By groschopf
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2020, 3:22 am #4
"The fourth issue is Egon and, um and uh yeah no, on this one I wanted to show their first experience using the Containment Unit. It's untested, uh, y'know, until they put something in it. They don't know it needs to be calibrated or it's 100% working and things go wrong so it gives us...that gives us a bit of Egon vs. Slimer."
15:28-15:57
Super excited for this series. I mean, I want to see if jenny ever gets out of the ECU, but going back to the see the original one getting set up will be amazing.
Erik teased there will a subtle hint at the subpoena. He pitched ending the mini-series with the subpoena but it was decided against.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 2081760257

Sorry, still no change on the preview front. :(

Spook Central's preview
https://www.facebook.com/pg/spookcentra ... 2005522045
Last edited by mrmichaelt on January 22nd, 2020, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just done a quick skim read, but as to Winston’s
By groschopf
robbritton wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 5:29 am Just done a quick skim read, but as to Winston’s
I don't think it's a callback.
In fact, it does feel a little forced, mostly because of how incongruent it is to the way we know how Winston develops (especially going in to law). It's definitely meant to see something, but whether or not that something is in the series or further down the road is too soon to say.
robbritton liked this
YEAR ONE #1

Main story
Easter Eggs so far
robbritton wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 5:29 am Just done a quick skim read, but as to Winston’s
Could be a callback to his resume in the drafts where it mentioned he designed electronic barrier systems. But ultimately, remember it's 1984. That's basically what most people were on the cusp of doing - should I learn more about these computers? It's ubiquitous nowadays but back then it was still emerging tech.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on January 27th, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April solicits got posted. All 3 covers. (not sure why but #2's B and RI covers are still unposted)

Year One #4. Set to release on April 22.
The final interview for the Ghostbusters biography is with EGON SPENGLER, who is inspecting the damaged firehouse while they talk. The secret history of the Ghostbusters first run in business concludes here!
Cover A
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB200705

Cover B
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB200706

Cover RI
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB200707

Trade paperback for Year One set for June 24.
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB200708
By groschopf
Good timing for the trade paperback. Even if it gets pushed back, it'll still drop around the movie.

Super excited for the premise of Egon inspecting the firehouse damage. I've always wondered what a story picking up right after the Gozer battle would looks like.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]