Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By Dr.D
The only other series of films that I hold as close to my heart are the Godzilla movies. Own ever single film on more than one format. To see the creative team behind the GB comics I love tackle the big guy is very exciting.

Now...will my dream of a Ghostbusters/Godzilla crossover become a reality...
By Fritz
Dr.D wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:54 am The only other series of films that I hold as close to my heart are the Godzilla movies. Own ever single film on more than one format. To see the creative team behind the GB comics I love tackle the big guy is very exciting.

Now...will my dream of a Ghostbusters/Godzilla crossover become a reality...
With IDW's track record the last few years, I'd almost be more surprised if that didn't happen. :roll:
I noticed on comixology, Amazon, and iTunes, the IDW comics seemed to have blipped out of existence aside from what one has in their library that was purchased. So I sent a message to comixology's support for an answer and rut-ro...
Sorry about that,

Generally when this happens, it's because of copyright or license changing hands and we don’t have much control over that.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with today!

Best Regards,
Pat
mrmichaelt wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:22 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:21 am Has there been update on the GB IDW Year One collected paperback?
Nope, none at all.
Interesting given your previous comment re: availability of the IDW back catalogue. Hard to believe they might lose the Ghostbusters license but with COVID and the postponement of Afterlife... plus reading between the lines, the tight creative leash Ghost Corp seemed to have over what the comics were allowed to be... it's probably not a good omen if Year One has been pulled and the comics disappeaered. Compared to the IDW Turtles series for instance.

Burnham and Schoening remain consistently brilliant, but given there may have been limitations imposed on what the comic could do, there is perhaps only so much mileage there. Year One would make a fitting bookend and I assume the powers that be might be looking at a new comic post-Afterlife. Obv this is wildly speculative - wishing the best to everyone involved.
mrmichaelt liked this
By Kingpin
I'd like to believe Year One's TPB has simply been temporarily shelved due to the pandemic rather than some change in the legal standing. I think it would be foolish of Ghost Corps not to re-grant the licence to IDW, given IDW has helped keep the Ghostbusters franchise alive/active, and has done such a cracking job at it.
Yeah IDW have been amazing and hopefully it's temporarily shelved... but it seems odd not to retain orders and simply push the release back to say June 2021. It's not as if they were counting on the Afterlife audience to sell comics.

I appreciate I may be in the minority in GB fandom, but personally I could live without future Ghostbusters stories that fall back on:

• Crossing the streams
  • Reversing polarity
  • Minor human antagonist is possessed
  • GB rubbing up against bureaucrats / government.

Ghostbusters can be more than tropes established in the first movie. This is in no way a criticism of the quality of IDW's GB writing.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on January 20th, 2021, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:32 am I'd like to believe Year One's TPB has simply been temporarily shelved due to the pandemic rather than some change in the legal standing. I think it would be foolish of Ghost Corps not to re-grant the licence to IDW, given IDW has helped keep the Ghostbusters franchise alive/active, and has done such a cracking job at it.
I really do hope it's the former than the latter. And, yeah, with how well IDW handled the franchise, even with a few tiny missteps, they really should keep hanging on to the franchise for awhile; at least until GB: Afterlife arrives to make the franchise visible again. Because is it's own thing, the GB IDW Continuity, whether in GB Prime or in other GB worlds is ripe for exploration with stories to be told.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:Yeah IDW have been amazing and hopefully it's temporarily shelved... but it seems odd not to retain orders and simply push the release back to say June 2021. It's not as if they were counting on the Afterlife audience to sell comics.

I appreciate I may be in the minority in GB fandom, but personally I could live without future Ghostbusters stories that fall back on:

• Crossing the streams
  • Reversing polarity
  • Minor human antagonist is possessed
  • GB rubbing up against bureaucrats / government.

Ghostbusters can be more than tropes established in the first movie.
I don't mind more of those types of GB stories as long as they have fresh new ideas and takes on them and not a rehash of what's being told already, but I do agree that there should be more exploration of tropes beyond what's already been explored for the franchise. Don't want to keep it stale.
mrmichaelt liked this
This Post Contains Spoilers
. :):):)
By groschopf
What fresh hell is this?

"Yikes, it looks like the Ghostbusters licence might've been yanked from IDW - apparently every series/issue has been removed from all the various digital comics platforms."

source: https://twitter.com/Jalaguy/status/1355132401249349632

Looks like people first noticed the titles vanishing off of Comixology as far back as January 6th at least"
https://twitter.com/Jarivera83/status/1 ... 39808?s=20

IDW's site isn't making the situation look any better. You can still reach a populated page through the "series" tab, but clicking on each individual title goes to empty pages.
groschopf wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:00 pm What fresh hell is this?

"Yikes, it looks like the Ghostbusters licence might've been yanked from IDW - apparently every series/issue has been removed from all the various digital comics platforms."

Looks like people first noticed the titles vanishing off of Comixology as far back as January 6th at least"

IDW's site isn't making the situation look any better. You can still reach a populated page through the "series" tab, but clicking on each individual title goes to empty pages.
See here. A few posts up.
viewtopic.php?p=4944153#p4944153

Theory #1: Either IDW is in the process of making a new deal with the digital outlets or they weren't satisfied with how much $$$ they were getting and let the deal lapse so that fans are forced to go to the IDW app to get the comics where they would make more profit. But if you bought digital issues, you should still have them in your libraries no matter which outlet. Like I still have mine on Comixology that I bought in the past.

Theory #2: We know previously that Erik said won't be doing the next comic until it is closer to the theatrical release date of Ghostbusters: Afterlife. He also commented he isn't privy to Sony/Ghost Corps' plans, whether it's to allow comics to come out when the movie is in theaters and releasing on 4K/Blu-ray/Digital or to prolong new comics from coming out until there's has been a breather after Afterlife's releases. He's not even allowed to pitch his next story idea. So that appears to be true and the series of release date delays for Afterlife have put a further constrain on the IDW comics and as a result may have contributed to the license lapsing into a freeze, hence why it has been pulled from digital outlets and a very minimal presence is on the IDW website. So we very likely won't see any new IDW comics, or collections like Year One, until 2022 at the earliest thanks to covid and the only 'new' comic is the variant cover for Transformers/Ghostbusters #1 that came with the 2nd Ectotron figure at the beginning of this month.

Theory #3: Or IDW lost the license and a new publisher will put out a new comic.
RedSpecial, groschopf liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 29th, 2021, 9:40 pm
groschopf wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:00 pm What fresh hell is this?

See here. A few posts up.
viewtopic.php?p=4944153#p4944153

Theory #1: Either IDW is in the process of making a new deal with the digital outlets or they weren't satisfied with how much $$$ they were getting and let the deal lapse so that fans are forced to go to the IDW app to get the comics where they would make more profit. But if you bought digital issues, you should still have them in your libraries no matter which outlet. Like I still have mine on Comixology that I bought in the past.

Theory #2: We know previously that Erik said won't be doing the next comic until it is closer to the theatrical release date of Ghostbusters: Afterlife. He also commented he isn't privy to Sony/Ghost Corps' plans, whether it's to allow comics to come out when the movie is in theaters and releasing on 4K/Blu-ray/Digital or to prolong new comics from coming out until there's has been a breather after Afterlife's releases. He's not even allowed to pitch his next story idea. So that appears to be true and the series of release date delays for Afterlife have put a further constrain on the IDW comics and as a result may have contributed to the license lapsing into a freeze, hence why it has been pulled from digital outlets and a very minimal presence is on the IDW website. So we very likely won't see any new IDW comics, or collections like Year One, until 2022 at the earliest thanks to covid and the only 'new' comic is the variant cover for Transformers/Ghostbusters #1 that came with the 2nd Ectotron figure at the beginning of this month.

Theory #3: Or IDW lost the license and a new publisher will put out a new comic.
I'm heavily pushing for theory #2. COVID has unfortunately really made a mess of things.

Theory #1 though, I wouldn't mind that IDW take an approach to developing their own comic service app similar to Marvel Unlimited and the recently revamped DC Universe Infinite. Would be good to have more open options to read IDW comics beyond comixology.
Last edited by *NormalGamer* on January 30th, 2021, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt, groschopf liked this
By Kingpin
I'd be greatly disappointed if IDW has lost the license entirely. At this point I don't think anyone else can really do it justice.

And should that be the case, I wish they'd just tell us. I appreciate their plans have been bumped/put on hold by the pandemic, but something these companies keep missing to address is that a news vacuum leads to wild, often incorrect speculation. It wouldn't kill them to state "We're putting things on pause for the moment until the pandemic eases off".
Alphagaia wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:57 am I only read the last few posts so forgive me if I missed anything, but could it be possible they had an Afterlife tie-in in the works which is why we don't get a new comic yet?
I summed up what I've been able to gather here:
viewtopic.php?p=4945259#p4945259

I'm pretty sure Erik has said there are no Afterlife tie-ins in the works in the comics. But on the books side, I'm not sure. It strange we haven't seen the novelizations on Amazon yet or a tie-in book similar to Ghosts From Our Past.

To add on, it's the instance when some studios get "nervous" about there being multiple iterations of a property out at once out of fear of cannibalization or what have you. For instance, when Warner was trying to get the next Batman trilogy off the ground to the Christopher Nolan era of Batman movies were out, there was something referred to by fans as the "Bat-embargo" in which animated DC properties (like animated series) could not use the vast majority of Batman characters aside from a handful like Batman himself. We're now in January 2021, so it's very apparent Theory #2 holds water that Sony doesn't want other Ghostbusters properties out the same time Afterlife was going to come out. But thanks to the periodic release delays, the IDW comic seems to have been further delayed as a result but we've had so many delays that it caught up the license/contract whatever IDW has and as a result, comics have been yanked from digital venues and the IDW website has been bareboned. So if Afterlife comes out in November 2021 then the Blu-ray/4K/Digital comes out Spring 2022, Erik Burnham likely won't be able to pitch his next arc/mini-series until Spring 2022 and thus it probably won't come out until Summer 2022. So we're in for a DROUGHT.

I'm highly skeptical another publisher picked up the license because I've only heard positivity and love of IDW's run from Sony/Ghost Corps. For them to drop IDW would be odd. The only reason I can think of is Sony got nervous because of the recent turnover in chief officers at IDW in the past couple months.
Bad news. It seems like IDW did lose the license for Ghostbusters. RIP
https://twitter.com/Jalaguy/status/1355132401249349632
Ghostytheghost wrote: January 31st, 2021, 2:56 pm Bad news. It seems like IDW did lose the license for Ghostbusters. RIP
https://twitter.com/Jalaguy/status/1355132401249349632
That tweet has already been posted by groschopf.
Alphagaia liked this
I'm just concerned, that's all. All we need is an official statement from the crew if IDW's still got GB.
By Dr.D
If this is truly the end of the road for IDW, it will mark the passing of one of the cornerstones of this franchise. Erik, Dan, and Luis gave us some of the best stories we've ever seen and they expanded the franchise in ways that I wouldn't have expected. It's been a hell of a ride and I know I am not alone in feeling very sad knowing I won't get to see further adventures with this crew. Saddens me even more to know that after so long with the same creative team we won't get to see them end the series properly. I'm sure if they had the chance to make a big grand finale issue it would've been amazing.

Maybe it isn't over and these are wasted words, but I truly feel like this comic was special and we were so lucky to have so much passion poured into it.
robbritton, *NormalGamer*, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
Dr.D wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 12:10 pm If this is truly the end of the road for IDW, it will mark the passing of one of the cornerstones of this franchise. Erik, Dan, and Luis gave us some of the best stories we've ever seen and they expanded the franchise in ways that I wouldn't have expected. It's been a hell of a ride and I know I am not alone in feeling very sad knowing I won't get to see further adventures with this crew. Saddens me even more to know that after so long with the same creative team we won't get to see them end the series properly. I'm sure if they had the chance to make a big grand finale issue it would've been amazing.

Maybe it isn't over and these are wasted words, but I truly feel like this comic was special and we were so lucky to have so much passion poured into it.
I hear you, I'd be heartbroken too.

That's literally heartbroken, on the off-chance there are licence wrangles happening and anyone from Ghost Corps looks in here.

IDW has been equal to Real Ghostbusters in terms of successful imaginative expansion of Ghostbusters, and it would be a crime to remove Erik, Dan and Luis from that particular playground. They should be being given the keys to animated Ghostbusters, not having us fretting like this.
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin, Dr.D and 1 others liked this
By Dr.D
They've held onto the license for so long it makes me wonder why, with a new movie on the horizon, they would make this move now. Maybe there are negotiations going on and it's part of the process. Or maybe, as remote as a possibility as it is, maybe one of the big league comic companies wants in on the GB action. Not that IDW isn't big, but who knows?
Dr.D wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm They've held onto the license for so long it makes me wonder why, with a new movie on the horizon, they would make this move now. Maybe there are negotiations going on and it's part of the process. Or maybe, as remote as a possibility as it is, maybe one of the big league comic companies wants in on the GB action. Not that IDW isn't big, but who knows?
Well, IDW is continuing to improve on their profits to the point that they're not nearly pushing anymore debt:

https://idwmediaholdings.com/wp-content ... esults.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaHuFvIKaQY

They just need to improve on their internal businesses and expand further when they keep earning profits as much as they can.

And again, regarding the GB license, i'm really pushing for Theory #2 that mrmichaelt posted earlier that has a lot of weight to it than #1 and #3.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]