Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
groschopf wrote: April 25th, 2019, 5:49 am I really liked Kylie's design. Her mouth in the ongoing always sits weird with me, and her features are rounded to make her more child-like.

This version of her is more angular -- much more dramatic, cutting and bold. It works for this... *cough* extreme... iteration of the character.

mrmichaelt wrote:Good points. but art can be subjective, so to each their own.
Either way, though, Kylie is still Kylie, regardless of how she looks.
HauntedWallflower liked this
I really liked the XGB issue. Not as much as the RGB issue, but I agree that they really captured the voice and the tone of the show, which ended far too soon, and I would love to see an on-going series.

My main criticism is that Egon was uncharacteristically funny at times, making jokes, and also uncharacteristically close-minded by bashing reincarnation.

I also thought the ending was out-of-character for Eduardo, with the whole heart-on-sleeve monologue. Although I like the idea of him revealing his true feelings for Kylie, I think Eduardo would be more clumsy about it, and not as direct like some Boy Meets World character.

Other than that it was another great issue!
ghoulishfright wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 7:44 pmI also thought the ending was out-of-character for Eduardo, with the whole heart-on-sleeve monologue. Although I like the idea of him revealing his true feelings for Kylie, I think Eduardo would be more clumsy about it, and not as direct like some Boy Meets World character.
Honestly, i'm glad that it ended this way; it's way less cliche and it gives more focus on their friendship, instead (I would also love to see this type of characterization fleshout and character development out for Kylie & Roland and Eduardo & Garrett, as well).
ghoulishfright liked this
I finally received GB 35: The Real Ghostbusters today, so now I feel I can post some thoughts.

Best story: GB 35: Ghostbusters
Consistant story and artwise with what we've come to expect from the IDW team, a fun little standalone-adventure that taps into the myth of Atlantis and expands the lore of the Ghostbusters universe a little more. Some amusing moments with possessed Egon, and Ray getting ahead of himself in his enthusiasm.

Second best: A tie between GB 35: Extreme Ghostbusters and GB 35: Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
The Extreme Ghostbusters story was set up around both the issue of animal conservation that had a surge of interest in the 1990s, and the hypocrisy of some of the more extreme members of a political/social movement. The overacing plot also dovetails with some developments concerning the XGB team. For the most part, I felt the writing was consistent with the cartoon, although some of the more strong reactions by the various members felt a bit off... Though I note that this is due to the fact that the strong reactions felt more based in a network censor-free reality, and not the constrained medium of a children's cartoon. Kylie and Eduardo got the most development
This Post Contains Spoilers
, with Garrett getting some good one-liners. Sadly Roland (in part because he is a bit dull as dishwater compared to the others) features the least prominently.
I'm afraid the issue loses some points due to Tim Lattie's art... It's just a little too stylised, too "ugly", for my taste. I'd rather he be retained for varient covers, rather than rendering whole issues. However, the general tone felt in-keeping with XGB, and could easily have been an episode in the show.

The Answer The Call story wasn't groundbreaking, but proved fun enough - Devin Grayson has a good grasp of the characters and could easily take the reins of an Answer The Call series or miniseries should Erik not wish to write any more. The artwork was similarly not groundbreaking, but solidly achieved, and pops thanks to Luis' colouring. It's always enjoyabing getting to see IDW's continuation of the ATC string of the franchise.

The worst: GB 35: The Real Ghostbusters
The issue I was probably looking forward to the most, not helped by it being strangely rare to obtain compared to the others - which may have influenced my consideration of the issue.
Off the bat: I don't think Cavan Scott had a good grasp of the characters at all, Peter's approach to Slimer zooms from season 1 to season 3 in the space of a single page, elements of the dialogue feel out of character, and the story felt a bit too derivitive of Robo-Buster.
The art is both reasonable in some instances, and frustratingly inconsistant with the show in others... Marcelo Ferreira's depiction of the characters are fine, and clearly recognisable, but he's drawn too much influence from the movie for his depiction of the Firehouse, and Ghostbusters: The Video Game for Ecto-1.
Fortunately, Luis helps save the issue with his great colouring, which helps imbue it with the Real Ghostbusters visual tone.

That being said, it's probably a better depiction than Mars Attacks: The Real Ghostbusters, and possibly even the RGB-backup story In The Box.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
I'm afraid the issue loses some points due to Tim Lattie's art... It's just a little too stylised, too "ugly", for my taste. I'd rather he be retained for varient covers, rather than rendering whole issues.
Brings up an interesting complaint I’ve had for a while. Why do some artists just copy Schoening’s style? The ATC Issue’s artist is guilty of this too. Attempting to copy Schoening’s lines feels cheap doesn’t breathe in new artists. Sounds like a nitpick, but come on!
robbritton liked this
Great review, Kingpin, and a lot of valid critiques.
Kingpin wrote: May 4th, 2019, 7:14 am I'm afraid the issue loses some points due to Tim Lattie's art... It's just a little too stylised, too "ugly", for my taste. I'd rather he be retained for varient covers, rather than rendering whole issues. However, the general tone felt in-keeping with XGB, and could easily have been an episode in the show.
I was wondering if it was me or not. I was thinking I might have become too subconsciously biased towards Dan Schoening's art style and everything else is meh.

EDIT: Dan Schoening posted a panel of Optimus Prime.
https://twitter.com/dannyschoening/stat ... 5732500480
Kingpin wrote: May 4th, 2019, 7:14 am Sadly Roland (in part because he is a bit dull as dishwater compared to the others) features the least prominently.
This is a valid criticism of the one-shot and the reason why I really want to see him get a lot of serious character development the most out of the EGB's if IDW ever greenlights an EGB ongoing or miniseries; not just for his character but for his interaction and relationships with the other EGB's.
Clayton Crain revealed a TF/GB variant cover he did.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxBFxOvJnxu/

EDIT: It's going to be a rare cover, 300 copies only, and so costs a lot. It's for the first issue. Scorpion Comics had it listed for $200.
http://www.scorpioncomics.com/new-produ ... d15sqet33z
Last edited by mrmichaelt on May 13th, 2019, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt wrote: May 13th, 2019, 5:53 pm Burnham's done writing TF/GB #4.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 5831561217

April sales are released.
https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomics ... 19-04.html
For the 35th Anniv. issues
-Ghostbusters sold 4,559 units
-RGB sold 4,020 units
-ATC sold 3,555 units
-EGB sold 3,857 units
In ranked terms of the highest selling and lowest selling, ATC would be in fourth place while EGB would be in third place.

Still, though, that didn't stop me from enjoying the one-shots, regardless. ^_^
August solicits finally came out. Transformers/Ghostbusters #3 is set for August 21, 2019 but only the RI cover by Philip Murphy was posted. The Cover B by Roche was already revealed. They didn't include Dan's cover (which you may recall was partially censored and is probably Prime).
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUN190705
"GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON", PART 3! The 35th anniversary meeting between Transformers and Ghostbusters continues! Ectotron came to Earth and found a situation far more complicated than he was expecting, which means Optimus Prime is going to need to be brought into the picture. But until Optimus can arrive, Ectotron takes the opportunity to join the Ghostbusters on a case and observe the paranormal. And don't forget about the ghost of Starscream!
Erik is beating out the story for TF/GB #5 and hopes to have it done by the end of May.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 5376826368
Erik Burnham is finished writing Transformers/Ghostbusters.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 4703839233

He also noted the next Ghostbusters pitch is being looked at right now but because the 2020 movie is in the works, a lot more eyeballs are looking to make sure no story points are accidentally duplicated.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 1328519168
Oh boy! Oh Boy! I love how closely Ecto Corps, The Studio and IDW have to work together now that this film is in production. This is amazing. So much awesomeness to look forward to. I just hope there just aren't too many cooks in the kitchen. This so cool. I am so looking forward to the next Ghostbusters Arc. I know I haven't even seen Transformers/Ghostbusters yet, but I know it is going to be awesome. I haven't been disappointed yet. What ever story they are cooking up in the next comic arc, I say bring it on I am so ready! :):):)
*NormalGamer*, mrmichaelt, Sayscalled and 1 others liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

SyFy's preview of TF/GB #1 has an interview with Burnham, WIP art, and page 18-19.
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/idw-unite ... tbusters-1

In Dan's headcanon, Ectotron sounds like David Hyde Pierce. Dr. Crane for the win. :D
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 1221519360

TF/GB trade paperback set for February 25, 2020.
https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Gho ... 684056209/
*NormalGamer*, zeta otaku, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Man I know I always say this, but I just can't praise these guys enough. I think we are very lucky that That Dan, Erik, Tom and Louis have the love for the franchise as much as they do. That love really translates to the pages. With each crossover both IPs are well represented and neither outshine the other and that can't be an easy task. Yet they continue to pull it off. It is just one Panal, but seeing Ray fist bump Ectotron really gets my heart racing and just feels so right. The next 5 months are going to be a lot of fun. :):):)
mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer*, robbritton and 1 others liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 9:07 pm Man I know I always say this, but I just can't praise these guys enough. I think we are very lucky that That Dan, Erik, Tom and Louis have the love for the franchise as much as they do. That love really translates to the pages. With each crossover both IPs are well represented and neither outshine the other and that can't be an easy task. Yet they continue to pull it off. It is just one Panal, but seeing Ray fist bump Ectotron really gets my heart racing and just feels so right. The next 5 months are going to be a lot of fun. :):):)
Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing how this new adventure will unfold; the interactions should be very fun to see. ^_^
It's funny we don't know what the big bad is yet. All we know is that signal that Ectotron is sent to investigate. And it seems really small of a cast on Earth so far - the 4 GBs, Ectotron, Ghost Starscream, and later Optimus. A bunch of other TFs, Gozer, and the Terror Dogs have a cameo on Cybertron in #1 at least. But do those two stories collide or was the Cybertron stuff just a quick primer/love letter for fans? Is this all in the prime dimension? If yes, why is Gozer back with a new form, is Starscream a selector like Ray and could thus choose a new form (the rite of change Idulnas was trying to do in the first arc of the ongoing)? I'm surprised at how little we actually really know about the main story...
I know right? I heard they packed as much in these 5 issues as they could and they still didn't put in all that they wanted to. Erik already teased that he would consider unused ideas for a potential sequel provided these issues fly off the shelf. Transformers has been a real hot property as of late with Bumblebee being a pretty good live action Transformers film. I don't see numbers being a problem with these two properties tied together. Of course I have no idea how well IDW's Transformers comics are currently selling.

Yeah I am curious if what happened in the opening is tied to the overall story. I know the rule is one destructor form per God per dimension so it would make sense if it was another dimension. If it is set in the Prime reality maybe there is a technicality at play here dice Gozer's energy found it's way to another Star System. Either way I am sure it will be cleverly explained. :):):)
mrmichaelt wrote: June 4th, 2019, 3:05 am
philmorgan81 wrote: June 4th, 2019, 12:03 am Transformers has been a real hot property as of late with Bumblebee being a pretty good live action Transformers film.
I must have seen the wrong Bumblebee movie. :walterpeck:

LOL! Maybe calling it good was a horrible overstatement. I know that the main reason the Transformers films are still being made is because they are good at making money regardless of quality. For me Bumblebee is the first of the live action films to have a pretty solid story and a human protagonist that wasn’t totally useless. I understand where you are coming from though. I hope this isn’t too crass, but I guess it’s like the old saying, “Polish a turd it’s still a turd.” ;)
mrmichaelt liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]