This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
Has anyone ever identified the video camera used in the library sequence in GB?

Or the smaller video camera slung over Ray's shoulder in the museum sweep scene in GB2?

I was looking at a photo of myself in costume from Halloween, with my own small videocamera unintentionally slung over the same shoulder, and thought it looks pretty good for a pack-less configuration.

(I'm on the left)

(I'm in the middle)

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on January 14th, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Mr. D.
Kingpin wrote:Globuscope panoramic camera:

We actually have an extensive article written up on the Globuscope despite it's fleeting appearance in the film.
I was JUST looking for this so I could ask about it. Thought it was some kind of scanner or "PKE" type device.
By Alex Newborn
slimershomie wrote:I think he means the make of camera at rays side not the globuscope.
Right. Here, maybe this will clear up the confusion...

I'm wondering if anyone knows the make of the videocamera slung over Ray's left shoulder in these photos. See the circled areas.

Alex
By jackdoud
Alex Newborn wrote: Would love to get more info on the GB2 camcorder, too!
Wasn't hard to track down, you can read the label:

It's a JVC GR-S77U SVHC Super VHS-C
This one is currently listed on ebay for $30 w/ free shipping since it doesn't work.
By Mr. D.
jackdoud wrote:
Alex Newborn wrote: Would love to get more info on the GB2 camcorder, too!
Wasn't hard to track down, you can read the label:
You can read that?

Man you got good eyes. :cool:
By Alex Newborn
Thanks! Too bad that one's missing the strap, but it's a place to begin!

UPDATE: I put in an offer on that camcorder. Haggling with the seller now. Wish me luck.

Oh, and this was funny. Right after I had this impulse to know what the correct model of camera in GB2 was, I went on with my marathon viewing of old 3rd Rock from the Sun episodes... and in one episode Harry (French Stewart) is making a video-dating testimonial... he just so happens to use a Panasonic PV-700, the same model as the very first VHS videocamera I ever owned!

I actually still have that camera, despite the fact it doesn't work. Saw it in a closet the other day.

Now if only I could find some 3rd Rock cosplayers who are trying to track one down, LOL.

Alex
I got the non-functioning JVC camcorder (pictured above) from that eBay auction, thanks for locating it for me. I got it for $24 shipped, and the shipping alone cost $16, so the seller only made eight bucks off it. She also threw in a lens cap and a shoulder strap, but the cap definitely wasn't from this camera, and I don't think the strap is either.

I also may need to gut the thing... VERY heavy for a costume prop.

Alex
I honestly had the same thought!

Oh, but you know what just makes me sick? At some point last summer prior to me getting back into Ghostbusters, I decided to gut a decades-old large-screen TV and turn its cabinet into a stand for the new TV, with tons of space inside for DVD's and such.

I am normally a packrat, but for some reason, I THREW OUT all of the electronic innards of that TV, because I couldn't foresee any use for them!

Alex
Update! I now also own the camera part of a Panasonic PK-750 like the one used in the library (and commercial) scenes from GB1!

No recorder shoulderbag part yet, but this thing is in GREAT condition!

I also noticed something when I cued up the film to see how to 'correctly' assemble all of the pieces. (The previous owner had it rigged for right-handed shooting, as I would have, but Aykroyd was holding one assembled for left-handed shooting, so I had to reconfigure the viewfinder to the alternate attachment points.)

Anyway, the little detail that I noticed was, in the first couple of shots outside the library and upstairs (shot in NY), the camera's shoulder prop is attached. Like this:

But apparently when they packed everything up, that part was removed.

And then when they shot the basement of the library (in LA), they forgot to reattach that part.

I also need to get a windscreen for the microphone.

And here are both the Ray Stantz videocameras together.

But here's a question that only occurred to me tonight... if the PK-750 is confiscated from Stantz when Dean Yeager tells them they're being kicked out of campus, how did they get it back before the commercial?

Watch the guy take the camera away from Stantz...

... but now Venkman has the same camera back (complete with the shoulder prop, since this was shot in NY!)

Alex
They'd have re-bought new equipment when they opened the business. They just bought equipment they were used to using.

Another expanation is, all the stuff in the university room was theirs, it was all just being tossed out onto the street and the moving guys were being literal with "take all the equipment out".
Now that I've got the PK-750, I'm trying to find a portable VCR to match the one carried by Aykroyd. (Otherwise I've got a cord that goes nowhere... like another yellow leg hose.)

At first, I believed the VCR to be in a carrying bag, but I rewatched the film and it's just a black metal box.

The instructions for the camera list a PV-3000 as one possible unit, but the only pics I've dug up show that one's casing to be silver. I've also turned up several other portable VCR's that look virtually identical in size, shape, and placement of details, in varying colors, so it's possible I just haven't figured out the correct model yet...

OR... maybe they painted one black? The camera also appears to have been modified slightly, with the Panasonic logo taken off the electronic viewfinder, so it's possible the art department did a redress of both items for whatever reason. The portable VCR might have been too shiny in silver, so they needed to cut down its reflectivity. Shrug.

Alex
I picked up this one to go with my PK-700 though like the camera it's not quite right:

One problem I should point out if you intend to carry the prop around, the recording box is frikin' heavy. Even with the giant battery taken out it's something like 20 pounds. I was going to gut the mechanism out to make it lighter but haven't gotten around to it.
Well, rather than start a totally new thread, I thought I'd dust this one off, give it a new title, and post some progress pics. Sorry to see that some of my old picture links are broken. I still have the pics uploaded to my FB page, so it would be easy to edit the links but the forum doesn't give us that capability at present.

I now have the recorder unit for the Panasonic PK-750, which Venky identified as a Panasonic NV-8410 in his excellent reconstruction thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=32227

At last, I don't have to just shove the plug into my pocket!

Do you know how satisfying it is to finally have the correct socket to accept this? (Cue the double entendres...)

Alas, I haven't yet removed the handle to attach a strap directly to the unit, as Venky did for total movie accuracy.

So for the meantime, I'm just using the not-seen-in-the-film leather case.

The seller believed the recorder is non-functional, which meant I got it pretty cheap. Less than $30 shipped, but more than $20 worth of that was shipping cost, due to the weight. It also included the AC adapter and the rechargeable battery.

I'll probably try to test it one day to see if it can still handle record and playback. If not, perhaps I'll try to gut it to get the weight down if/when I ever make the handle/strap modification.

Oh, and I'm still working on the blue shirt and the brown coat, but I found a pretty good match for the Izod.

Alex
I dug out the old PK-750 and NV-8410 for this photo shoot yesterday. I had kept postponing getting a lab coat, but needed some for three upcoming events so finally bit the bullet.

My God, that NV-8410 is heavy. I had forgotten how bad it is. I seriously need to gut that thing.

Alex

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]